Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Download Issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> Download Issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Download Issues - 1/29/2009 10:01:02 AM   
WARHOG

Hi
I'm having problems and have done all the steps required to download. I have one problem at the end when I click on the WIR icon. It says: Cannot find DOSBOX configuration file. Please check folder path under edit and preferences. What do I put here?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Download Issues - 1/29/2009 3:43:18 PM   
Rasputitsa

Are you clicking on the WIR Icon in the WIR folder, or in DOSbox. I use DOSbox with DOSShell which gives an easy to use combination.

(in reply to WARHOG)
Post #: 2
RE: Download Issues - 1/31/2009 9:36:31 AM   
WARHOG

I'm referring to the DOSHELL BOX.
This is the error message I get:

Cannot find DOSBOX configuration file. Please check folder path on the dialog "Preference" which is available from "edit" - preferences command.

What is the folder path I'm supposed to put in?

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 3
RE: Download Issues - 1/31/2009 10:32:28 AM   
Rasputitsa

This is what I have in the DOSShell Edit/Preferences/Folder path - C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.72 - this is to direct DOSShell to the DOSbox EXE. file so it can open DOSbox. You can use the 'Browse' function to find the DOSbox Application (EXE.) file from your DOSbox folder, as you can see I am using DOSbox ver. 0.72. If you have downloaded a different version of DOSbox then you will need to configure for that file name (e.g. C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.64, or whatever else you have)

(in reply to WARHOG)
Post #: 4
RE: Download Issues - 2/1/2009 9:54:57 AM   
WARHOG

Thanks got it!

Now if I could just figure out how to make the screen bigger....

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 5
RE: Download Issues - 2/1/2009 12:02:12 PM   
Rasputitsa

When DOSShell/DOSbox opens the game it is in a window, when you click on the window you go into the game. The ALT/ENTER key push changes the window to 'full screen', which I have never seen as real full screen, except the WIR intro screens. There is always a black band top and bottom, but the game screen is plenty big enough with only a inch lost in each band. The test that you are getting full screen are those intro screens, which really are full screen when your settings are correct.

To adjust the settigs you could go into the DOSShell application (EXE.) file in the DOSShell folder and right click for 'Properties/Program Compatibility'. I have mine set for WIN95 and you could try adjusting the graphics settings, one by one, and see if you get any change.

(in reply to WARHOG)
Post #: 6
RE: Download Issues - 2/1/2009 12:07:54 PM   
WARHOG

Thanks, I used the ALT-Enter and that did increase the size but still too small. I will try your recommendation about the settings.

I have another dumb question.
How do you find the rules for the game?

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 7
RE: Download Issues - 2/1/2009 2:31:55 PM   
Rasputitsa

There is usually a .pdf file in the WIR folder (for which you will need Adobe), but if it is not there I can supply a copy. The manual was supplied with the original ver. 1.0 and has not been updated. The game itself has been through many revisions to get to ver 3.3. The basic gameplay is mainly the same and I have a copy of the changes since ver. 2.0, which is when Matrix took it over and made the most significant changes. If you want a smaller game to start with there is Western Front, which was issued before WIR and several mods for both games. There is also 'WIRhack', a utility which allows you to change some of the major features of the game. These are available for download from Dave Wolf's WIR Experience site, or you can send an e-mail address by private mail to me and I will send you attachments of whatever you choose.

Here is a copy of the version changes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to WARHOG)
Post #: 8
RE: Download Issues - 12/1/2009 12:42:43 AM   
demyansk

I was able to run the game in all modes but right now in win95 and using dosbox, the graphics are old but this is a classic game

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 9
RE: Download Issues - 12/1/2009 1:53:14 AM   
Duck Doc

Well, I got it up in DOSBox itself. Couldn't get DOSShell 1.75 to work. Whoa, a bit retro but here goes...

Thanks for all the tips in getting started, especially Rasputitsa!

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 10
RE: Download Issues - 12/1/2009 5:47:41 PM   
Rasputitsa

You have to direct DOSbox to the WIR exe. (application) file in the WIR folder. Does that help, or I can give a step by step guide.

(in reply to WARHOG)
Post #: 11
RE: Download Issues - 12/1/2009 5:56:45 PM   
Rasputitsa

Oops! previous mail answers question already dealt with, however if you like WIR, you might like to try Western Front.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 12
RE: Download Issues - 12/2/2009 1:03:24 AM   
Duck Doc

I am unable to get DOSShell 1.75 to work & I don't know why but I got DOSBox to work just fine.

I am really excited about WiR. I have been reading about WitE & thought I would give WiR a try. Wow! It sure looks deep. What a bargain!

What is Western Front?

Thanks, Raputitsa, for all your help.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 13
RE: Download Issues - 12/2/2009 4:10:41 PM   
Rasputitsa

I first had WIR for the Atari from Gary Grigsby and SSI in the 1980s and very expensive it was (equivalent of about $130 in the UK), with very, very basic graphics.

When it moved to PC in the 1990s it became Second Front, with improved, but still basic graphics. Western Front came out as a partner at a similar time, but WF had bugs and gameplay issues. The basic graphics meant that the unit icons merged into the map and were difficult see, whilst the German side was so restricted that you got executed by Hitler if you moved anything ( OK, exaggeration, but difficult German gameplay) . Attachment shows WF as issued.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 14
RE: Download Issues - 12/2/2009 4:23:00 PM   
Rasputitsa

WIR was developed by the publishers, Arnaud Bois and others and recently by very active modding fans. The WIR maps, unit icons and gameplay have been modified up to ver. 3.3, where it will probably stay, now that WitE is on the way. You can see the WIR pedigree if you open the WIR folder, as the map file is SF.map, showing the descent fom Second Front

Western Front sank almost without trace, but to make it more playable I used the WIR graphics editor to bring WF up the standard of WIR 3.3., still basic by modern standards, but useable.

I found on the Web, an editor to adjust some of the gameplay issues and corrected D-Day scenario with more accurate OOB.

The attachment shows WF with the WIR look

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 15
RE: Download Issues - 12/2/2009 4:39:52 PM   
Rasputitsa

Western Front in Normandy

The gameplay and plotting is slightly different, but the WF editor means that you can award more 'Political Points' to the German side to give more flexibility, without being shot at dawn. When you see the results of a air attack in WIR and how many lbs of bombs were dropped, you will be impressed with the amount of iron the allied strategic air forces can throw around, even if it sometimes without much effect.

Changes of plan in the Overlord scenario can be expensive, as a German INF korps has just moved into the area where my airborne forces were due to land, to secure the flank of a landing near Bologne (I was going for the Pas de Calais plan, just to see if it could be done). A change in invasion target will cost points and weeks of delay, or go anyway - different atmosphere from WIR.

Western Front is not perfect, it is still ver. 1.0 (at least the manual is up to date), it can be frustrating, but heh! war is hell. Just like to see an old game live again.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 16
RE: Download Issues - 12/2/2009 4:51:27 PM   
Rasputitsa

Just for clarification the attached map in the previous post is of the opening layout of the Normandy scenario, starting with the invasion already having taken place. You can also play pre-invasion and choose your own landing beaches, e.g. Calais.

There is also a Bulge scenario, which takes you into winter conditions and, as in the attachment to the earlier post, you can have an Italian Front scenario, or grand campaign with both fronts.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> Download Issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI