Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Captured Morgan: USA Brig. Gen. James Shackelford

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Captured Morgan: USA Brig. Gen. James Shackelford Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Captured Morgan: USA Brig. Gen. James Shackelford - 1/23/2009 6:00:38 PM   
Battleline

Brig. Gen. James M. Shackelford (b. 1827, d. 1909) Between two resignations from Federal service, James Murrell Shackelford rose to the rank of brigadier general of volunteers and was celebrated for his capture of Confederate raider John H. Morgan. Shackelford was born July 7, 1827, in Lincoln County, Kentucky. During the Mexican War, he joined Co. I of the 4th Kentucky Volunteers. He mustered out in 1848 and studied law. In 1853, he was admitted to the Kentucky bar. He practiced in Louisville until the start of the Civil War. At the start of the war, he recruited the 25th Kentucky Infantry (Union) and was commissioned as its colonel Jan. 1, 1862. Less than a month and a half later, this regiment was part of Col. Charles Cruft’s 1st brigade, 3rd division, in the campaign against forts in northern Tennessee. At Fort Donelson, the regiment suffered 84 casualties in the elimination of Confederate opposition in that part of the state. Shackelford resigned his commission in late March, possibly due to health. He recovered by August of 1862, raising another regiment, the 8th Kentucky Cavalry, a 12-month unit frequently split into three parts which served in separate areas. He was commissioned as colonel of this unit Sept. 13, 1862. Shackelford received a minor foot wound in a skirmish with Confederates of Adam Johnson’s command at Geiger’s Lake, Kentucky, soon after this regiment was raised. He was elevated to brigadier general of volunteers March 17, 1863, to rank from Jan. 2, 1863. When John H. Morgan raided through Indiana and Ohio, Shackelford commanded the 1st brigade of the 2nd division of the XXIII Corps in trying to capture the raider. This brigade was a group of infantry and cavalry gathered for the purpose of stopping Morgan. Shackelford broke up Morgan’s raiders and captured Morgan himself near Wellsville, Ohio. Shackelford participated in the capture of Cumberland Gap as the leader of the 3rd and 4th brigades of the XXIII Corps. He later led the cavalry corps of the Department of the Ohio in action at Blue Springs, Tennessee, and Bean’s Station, Tennessee. He opposed Lt. Gen. James Longstreet’s Confederates near Knoxville. Shackelford resigned his commission in January of 1864, citing the recent death of his wife and the need to raise his four young children. After that, he returned to practice law. In 1889, he was appointed U.S. judge for the Indian Territory. After that, he set up law practice in Muskogee, Indian Territory, and was attorney for the Choctaw Nation. He died Sept. 7, 1909, in Port Huron, Michigan (his summer home). He was buried in Cave Hill Cemetery in Louisville.
Post #: 1
RE: Captured Morgan: USA Brig. Gen. James Shackelford - 1/26/2009 8:19:20 AM   
Gil R.

Copied, thanks.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Captured Morgan: USA Brig. Gen. James Shackelford Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI