Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pride of Spencer County: USA Maj. Gen. James Veatch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Pride of Spencer County: USA Maj. Gen. James Veatch Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pride of Spencer County: USA Maj. Gen. James Veatch - 1/22/2009 9:59:53 PM   
Battleline

Maj. Gen. James C. Veatch (b. 1819, d. 1895) Established in Spencer County, Indiana, before the start of the Civil War, James Clifford Veatch entered service as colonel of the 25th Indiana. He would end his military career with a brevet promotion to major general of volunteers. Veatch was born Dec. 19, 1819, in Elizabethtown, Indiana. He was admitted to the Indiana bar in 1840 and living in Rockport, Indiana, in 1841. From 1841 to 1855, he was auditor of Spencer County. He won election to the Indiana state legislature for the 1861-62 term, but instead took a commission as colonel of the 25th Indiana. After duty in Missouri, the unit’s first action came in the capture of Forts Henry, Heiman and Donelson in northern Tennessee. At the Battle of Shiloh, April 6-7, 1862, Veatch led a four-regiment (25th Indiana, 14th Illinois, 15th Illinois and 46th Illinois) brigade (2nd) in the division of Brig. Gen. Stephen Hurlbut’s 4th Division, XVI Corps, Army of the Tennessee. His brigade suffered 630 casualties at Shiloh. Later in the month, Veatch was promoted to brigadier general of volunteers to rank from April 28, 1862. In the campaign against Corinth, Mississippi, Veatch’s brigade was in action at the Battle of Hatchie’s Bridge Oct. 5, 1862, against elements of Confederate Maj. Gen. Earl Van Dorn and Maj. Gen. Sterling Price. The Confederates were repulsed from crossing the Hatchie River in this engagement. In January of 1863, Veatch was sent to command the District of Memphis. He commanded this district twice before being sent back to the Army of the Tennessee Jan. 24, 1864, when he was given command of the 4th Division, XVI Corps, despite the objections of Maj. Gen. Oliver O. Howard. Veatch commanded until July 17, 1864, when he went on sick leave. When he returned in September, he was told to wait for orders in Memphis. Without a command, Veatch filled in at various posts and locations around Memphis. On Feb. 18, 1865, Veatch was back in charge of fighting men. Named commander of the 1st Division, XIII Corps, Army of the Gulf, Veatch led his men in a campaign against Mobile, Alabama. He received a brevet promotion after the war for his actions at Mobile. He mustered out of the army in August of 1865, and returned to Rockport, Indiana. In 1869, he was appointed adjutant general of Indiana. From 1870-83, he was collector of internal revenue. Veatch died in Rockport Dec. 22, 1895, and was buried in the Sun Set Hill Cemetery there.
Post #: 1
RE: Pride of Spencer County: USA Maj. Gen. James Veatch - 1/26/2009 8:17:21 AM   
Gil R.

Copied, thanks.

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Pride of Spencer County: USA Maj. Gen. James Veatch Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI