Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Random Unresolved Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Random Unresolved Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Random Unresolved Questions - 1/18/2009 5:27:38 PM   
helldiver

Greetings.

Awaiting AE, I am trying to look at unresolved questions I have have about WitP:

During the combat/resolution phase, I occasionaly get the message "TFxxxx Must Unload" and an enemy base location will flicker. I do not understand why I get this message or what it is telling me about that enemy TF. Seems odd intelligence to receive. Is this still in AE? Significance?

Thanks to the forum (and the manual ), I finally sorted the fact that one way to "draw" supply to a location is to have a Command HQ present. My question concerns splitting that HQ. Right now (e.g.) I have the bulk of (446 support pts.) Burma Area Army in Mandalay. This is keeping Mandalay well supplied. Hoewever, I also have a fragment of that HQ (32 support pts.) in Akyab. That partial HQ seems to be drawing supply to Akyab. The Allies have been making resupply attempts by sea unpleasant, so the HQ appears to be keeping a fairly steady supply of 10K+ in that location. Am I reading this correctly? This instance happened by accident, but may seem gamey if done intentionally.
Finally, this supply function appears only to apply to HQs above Army level. Is this so?
Still the same in AE? Thanks.

Regards,
Helldiver
Post #: 1
RE: Random Unresolved Questions - 1/18/2009 7:48:50 PM   
jwilkerson

One new feature of AE is that bases now have the ability to "manipulate" the supply "requirements" of the base. So, you can increase the requirements and thus force a "draw" to that base. By moving the requirements up and down you can thus move supply around much more easily than in stock. For instance, you can force much of the supply in Luzon to move to Bataan by using this feature. Also, you can pull the supply out of Rangoon and send it "north" to Mandalay or even Mytchina by using this feature.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to helldiver)
Post #: 2
RE: Random Unresolved Questions - 1/18/2009 8:35:51 PM   
helldiver

Greetings, jwilkerson.
   Thank you. That makes a lot more sense to me, both in game turns and militarily. Supply movement shouldn't be "free" and unfettered for many reasons, but the stock WitP supply limitations and remedies seemed a bit awkward and artificial at times. This is just another reason for looking forward to years of replay value from your new baby. Thanks to all of you for all you are doing.  

Regards,
Helldiver

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: Random Unresolved Questions - 1/19/2009 6:05:13 AM   
erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helldiver

Greetings.

My question concerns splitting that HQ. Right now (e.g.) I have the bulk of (446 support pts.) Burma Area Army in Mandalay. This is keeping Mandalay well supplied. Hoewever, I also have a fragment of that HQ (32 support pts.) in Akyab. That partial HQ seems to be drawing supply to Akyab.

AFAIK,for all HQ effects only the parent has any bearing. Fragments won't do anything. (Well, your fragment would have some tiny intrinsic supply needs that the base would try to fill, but that would be inconsequential.) Can anyone confirm this?

(in reply to helldiver)
Post #: 4
RE: Random Unresolved Questions - 1/19/2009 8:19:47 AM   
Yamato hugger

Hqs do a little more in AE than in WitP. They in some cases contain av support or nav support squads in addition to their other functions, and of course the new torp cap. As far as I know the "HQ ability" of a HQ (air HQ modifying number of planes flown) for example will only function at the parent itself as will the torp cap of the HQ. The support squads will perform their mission however.

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 5
RE: Random Unresolved Questions - 1/19/2009 4:03:15 PM   
W T Door

Will this increased granularity result in more intermediate headquarters such as group, wing and hedron (while properly in other threads, but since I'm on the subject; will squadrons and divisions be present for ships and related organisation)? Will the impact of organisations such as CASU be modeled?

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 6
RE: Random Unresolved Questions - 1/19/2009 4:59:22 PM   
Grotius

quote:

One new feature of AE is that bases now have the ability to "manipulate" the supply "requirements" of the base.

This sounds great.

(in reply to W T Door)
Post #: 7
RE: Random Unresolved Questions - 1/19/2009 9:37:25 PM   
Rainer

quote:

During the combat/resolution phase, I occasionaly get the message "TFxxxx Must Unload" and an enemy base location will flicker. I do not understand why I get this message or what it is telling me about that enemy TF. Seems odd intelligence to receive. Is this still in AE? Significance?

I understand from very old posts that this happens when AI (your opponent) tries to load a TF which has not yet been unloaded. I see it fairly regularly in my campaign against Computer Japanese.
I think it is sort of remnant from the testing phase of the initial release which has never been cleared up. Note: pure guessing.

(in reply to helldiver)
Post #: 8
RE: Random Unresolved Questions - 1/19/2009 10:29:57 PM   
helldiver

Greetings, Rainer.
   Thank you. That sounds plausible and one of the few explanantions that would answer what it might mean to me as AI's opponent.  I'll check that off my list of unresolveds/unknowns.

Regards,
Helldiver.

(in reply to Rainer)
Post #: 9
RE: Random Unresolved Questions - 1/19/2009 11:47:44 PM   
Radio

Re: The TF must unload message - I've seen it flash up referencing my own TF's when I order an already loaded unit to load something else. For example I was running a fast transport group into Singers loaded up with supplies, half way there I switched their orders to pick up troops. When they arrived I got the "must unload" message and they picked up the troops, whilst dumping the supplies.

So I assume Rainer is right when he says that it happens when a TF has orders to load, but is already loaded.

(in reply to helldiver)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Random Unresolved Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI