Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How many of the players have done military service

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> How many of the players have done military service Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How many of the players have done military service - 5/3/2002 5:37:34 PM   
Chairman

Myself was washed out of Th Royal Swedish Army due to a medical problem, well I could have done it iif I went behind a desk, but spending 15 months there were not my way of being a soldier.

Anders
Post #: 1
Re: How many of the players have done military service - 5/3/2002 7:53:05 PM   
heiks

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chairman
[B]Myself was washed out of Th Royal Swedish Army due to a medical problem, well I could have done it iif I went behind a desk, but spending 15 months there were not my way of being a soldier.

Anders [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, spent 362 days serving in the Finnish Defence Forces in Hamina, in the south eastern corner of Finland. Got reserve nco training in AA-artillery communications.

Oh, and yes, I got to spend two months behind a desk too... the most boring months of my life so I'd say you made the right choice :)

"Bingeley bingeley beep!"
- Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 2
Re: Re: How many of the players have done military service - 5/3/2002 10:46:24 PM   
Ed Cogburn

[QUOTE]Originally posted by heiks
[B]Oh, and yes, I got to spend two months behind a desk too...[/B][/QUOTE]

4 years, Navy. Unfortunately, none of it was spent behind a desk! :) :)

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 3
- 5/3/2002 11:23:07 PM   
Guardsman

10 years Infantry for me in the Canadian Forces.

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 4
- 5/4/2002 12:03:42 AM   
Mike Solli

14 years in the US Army. 6 more to go!

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 5
- 5/4/2002 1:41:45 AM   
Raverdave

8 years in the infantry, last unit was 5/6 RVR.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 6
- 5/4/2002 5:53:07 AM   
Preuss

Almost 7 years in the USMC. Some combat service in Desert Storm.

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 7
- 5/4/2002 7:51:57 AM   
Svar

1963 to 1965 82nd Abn Div as an artillery surveyor with the Little John Rocket battery. That was a lot of fun for a teenager because I got to play a lot of wargames with real weapons and blanks. 1970 to 1978 I was a UH-1 helicopter crewchief with various units and spent a tour in Viet Nam with B company 101st Aviation Battalion, 101st Abn Div.

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 8
- 5/4/2002 4:47:37 PM   
MagnusOlsson

A year in the Swedish Air Force. I applied for UN service but then college saved me from Lebanon :-).

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 9
- 5/5/2002 3:46:12 AM   
RickyB

4 years in the US Marine Corps, in the reserves.

Rick Bancroft
Semper Fi

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 10
military service - 5/5/2002 10:54:47 AM   
boomboom

Three years Marines.69-71.Raido operator.Rvn 69-70.
I'm one of seven Marines on the cover of Major Norton's book
Force Recon 1970.I'm knelling lower right.I go to the Force recon reunions,most of plt like me,divorced grandfather's.

I'm boomboom.I don't want to control the sea.I ain't no calvery general[horses stink].I don't want to fight the next world war.I want to go back to dog patch,and fall in love.

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 11
- 5/6/2002 2:09:11 AM   
jontegrabben

One year in the Swedish Royal Engineers as a communications soldier (?). Or maybe the right title would be clerk :cool: . Well, well not behind a desk anyway!! ;)

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 12
- 5/6/2002 3:47:39 AM   
Paulchen

15 months at Luftwaffe
Obergefreiter at 17.FMRgt33 in the Year 1989

veni, vedi, vici

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 13
- 5/6/2002 1:25:20 PM   
Rado

Yes, I was spending one year in CZECH ARMY as an aid man (Czech army medical corps).

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 14
- 5/6/2002 7:33:02 PM   
shane056

I served nine years in the Royal Australian Navy from 1972 to 1981 being a Marine Technican in Propulsion (ie.. an engine room artificer), having done my apprenticeship through the RAN. I paid off form the service as a Petty Officer (equivalent to a seargent), and enjoyed my time in the grey funnel line no end, and would do it all over again. Where else can you get over-seas trips courtesy of the Australian tax payer :-)
...Shane

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 15
- 5/6/2002 10:59:36 PM   
Sardaukar

About 4+ years in Finnish military so far.

Cheers,

M.S.

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 16
- 5/6/2002 11:07:50 PM   
Ed Cogburn

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sardaukar [/QUOTE]

Is "Sardaukar" a word in Finnish, or are you a DUNE fan? :)

(Probably a DUNE fan. but then again, I don't know where Frank Herbert got that word. I suppose it *could* be Finnish?)

Look at all these posts from people who don't regularly post here. Who was I talking with a few months ago about how many people are in this forum? Ten or twelve unfamilar names, and there are many others who wouldn't say anything here because they weren't in the military. I said there would be a lot of lurkers. Hello, all!

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 17
No Service for Me - 5/7/2002 8:41:52 AM   
VictorH

Grew up during Vietnam and experienced the deaths of 2 close friends fortunate to have been drafted. No way I wanted to be in the Military after that. Fortunately they stopped the draft right before I turned 18. Also growing up without a silver spoon in my mouth I didn't have the option of working on a friends political campaign instead of showing up for duty in the Air National Guard.

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 18
- 5/7/2002 11:24:08 AM   
Armorer

3 Years, USA, including 2 1/2 in B co, 1-35 Armor, Jan 88 Jul 90. Erlangen, West (at the time) Germany.

Randy

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 19
- 5/7/2002 5:48:06 PM   
Sardaukar

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ed Cogburn
[B]

Is "Sardaukar" a word in Finnish, or are you a DUNE fan? :)

(Probably a DUNE fan. but then again, I don't know where Frank Herbert got that word. I suppose it *could* be Finnish?)

[/B][/QUOTE]

Heh, it's from Dune, yes. As far as I know, there is no such word in finnish :).

I've been lurking few years now..since I got hooked into Pacific War...and after that WiR. Now even SPWaW is trying to compete to get slice of my free time. Somehow it's always "I'll just play one more turn.." :D

Cheers,

M.S.

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 20
- 5/9/2002 1:50:22 PM   
tohoku

Does private contracting count? ;)

Five years designing non-standard logic systems for communications applications in the of the GSDF.

tohoku
YMMV
It's not a secret. I just don't know how to translate it! :)

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 21
- 5/9/2002 3:51:05 PM   
boba

1 year in (during my regular conscript duty) Yugoslav Army reserve officer schoole, so I'm now communication 2nd liutenent, in reserve of course ;).

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 22
- 5/11/2002 5:17:59 AM   
Bernard

10 months in belgian army, NCO artillery - on a M109 older than me and never refitted. just before they switched to "professional" army. "" means they are paid in full, not that they are that professional. borin as most military duties are supposed to be. A good thing in Belgium was you could get drafted in a uit speaking the other language. Lot of fun learning drill in a language you don't understand (at least in the beginning). Looked like Mr Bean.

Ben

Verzage ni

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 23
- 5/11/2002 8:12:19 AM   
Ed Cogburn

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernard
[B]on a M109 older than me and never refitted[/B][/QUOTE]

For a design that goes back to the 1950's, the early model M109's (pre-Paladin) are probably older than most of us here. :)

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 24
- 5/11/2002 2:57:03 PM   
Lokioftheaesir

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sardaukar
[B]

Heh, it's from Dune, yes. As far as I know, there is no such word in finnish :).

I've been lurking few years now..since I got hooked into Pacific War...and after that WiR. Now even SPWaW is trying to compete to get slice of my free time. Somehow it's always "I'll just play one more turn.." :D

Cheers,

M.S. [/B][/QUOTE]

An interesting word. It 'sounds' Finnish.
Unfortunately the word was applied to a fictonal force of near 'omnipotent' soldiers set in a Stellopolitical system that could not exist under the standard rules of human power projection.
Atomics would be used no matter what. Even if they were not....
An Empire/Spacers guild alliance would control everything. (they would control Dune)
Herbert writes great fiction but 'fudges' the realities of human politics to create a good story.
Dune is a great work. But it falls apart on strategic specifics.

Loki

Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 25
- 5/12/2002 6:17:02 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

12 months as a conscript in the German Armed Boyscouts :D er, the Bundeswehr as gunner on a Leopard 1 A5 MBT - a pile of scrap almost 30 years old.

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 26
- 5/13/2002 11:41:50 AM   
Chairman

Well the gamers in my wargamesclub do prefere the Leopard II. :)

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 27
- 5/13/2002 7:54:56 PM   
Ed Cogburn

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lokioftheaesir
[B]
An Empire/Spacers guild alliance would control everything. (they would control Dune)
[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm not sure. The Empire would need the Spacers Guild to transport spice off of Dune to the rest of occupied space, but the Spacers wouldn't really need the Empire for that, they just need a strong enough force that can hold and harvest spice from Dune. Remember, the Empire would need the Spacers Guild just to get their forces to Dune. So the Spacers Guild doesn't need the Empire, but the Empire definitely needs the Spacers Guild. This would therefore be a somewhat lopsided "alliance". Now the Spacers need spice to work, but their primary goal is to make money, so they're willing to provide services to anyone who can pay. Its not in their interest to lock out everyone else except the strongest faction, so they work with everyone but give favor to whoever is the strongest faction at the time.

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 28
- 5/14/2002 3:30:45 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chairman
[B]Well the gamers in my wargamesclub do prefere the Leopard II. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

The Leopard 2 surely is a far superior tank in regards to protection and mobility and due to the larger calibre it has advantages in firepower, too. But (at least in my days) they were equals in regards to accuracy. The upgraded Leo 1 A5 possessed a more modern fire control computer than the Leo 2 of the same period (that probably has changed with the new Leo 2 version), so on the firing range both models had a comparable high accuracy, over 90% of the shots were dead on target. Also depends on the ability of the gunner, of course.

What is more important in a peace-time army like the Bundeswehr - i.e. 'we are there in case the Russians try something funny, but thank god we are not allowed to send troops out of area into real sh*t' (I served in the early 1990s) - is the habitability for the crew. I had the chance to hitch a ride in Leo 2 and envied those guys for the spacious interior - in the Leo 1 so many upgrades have been added over the years that the turret is just f***ing cramped. We once had a medevac exercise and it took the medics nearly 10 minutes to drag me out of the gunner's seat and through the commander's hatch (and I was a light-weight on those days). Those things are death traps. The only advantage I can think of is the lower weight of the Leo 1, enabling it to cross weaker bridges. Against an opponent with hight AT capabilities, you and your fellow gamers are better off with the Leo 2, no doubt.

I don't know whether the Leo 1 is still in use, when I served it was already relegated to the support role for infantry brigades, the Leo 2 was (and is) the mainstay of the Panzerbrigaden. Perhaps the Leo 1 are now in reserve (for what?), or more likely, they are used for target practice since there seem to be no more spare parts to keep them running.

One last anecdote: I served on a tank with no heating (for lack of spare parts) and of course we went on an exercise in a pretty cold January week. We had to use 'my' tank because of my company's 13 tanks 7 (!) were disabled with engine/tracks/electronics trouble (and waiting for spare parts). Imagine how cold it gets inside a steel hull after a few hours below zero degrees celsius. Soon my comrades & me were known as the 'Born to freeze'-crew :mad:. The gunner was lucky though - the gunner's seat is next to the hydraulics for the gun, so it was less cold (can't call it warmth) down there. Well, in the end it turned out to be a great exercise - after two days my platoon leader dedided to have the crews of my platoon change the tanks, so each crew had to spend some time on 'my' Leo without heating. Within each crew the turret guys (commander, gunner, loader) took turns on the gunner's position, so from time to time 'my' tank had a staff sergeant as gunner and a private as commander. Great way to improve flexibility, so we kept shuffling positions in later exercises. All gunners /loaders in my platoon eventually passed qualifications for both positions. More time and we might have learned to drive a tank as well :D.

Alas, passed another 10 minutes waiting for Uncommon Valor...

LST

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 29
- 5/15/2002 2:32:52 AM   
Paulchen

nice story largeslowtarget.

a friend of my (leutnant bei der Instantsetzung, don´t know in english) told me that the problems with not operating tanks has grown in the last year, because massive financal problems.

In my unit in the year ´89, we have not enough drivers for our cars, because the luftwaffe had not enough money for driving school (250 military vessels, 200 driver by 350 soldiers in our company).

PS.
the Fernmeldekompanien of the luftwaffe are the biggest units in bundeswehr, because many radar-cars, training-unit, richtfunk-platoons and instandsetzung-unit.

veni, vedi, vici

(in reply to Chairman)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> War In Russia: The Matrix Edition >> How many of the players have done military service Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI