Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Few Qestions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Few Qestions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Few Qestions - 1/13/2009 10:40:18 PM   
Przemcio231

Hi i have few Questions about

Production System
From what i understand the production system will only be avaliable to the Japanese player with Light Industry (produces supply) and
Rafineries (produces Oil) Added? Everything else will be as in stock WITP like producing planes, engines , ships? Allied player will be stuck
with the planes he gets every month into the pool?

Japan
Will japanese have the 1st turn extended movement in non historical start as in stock WITP?

How the Torpedo supply works exactly???

A2A

From what i undestand (and what i seen in the AAR's) A2A combat will be less bloody and there will be more leakers?
On the other hand it will be hard to keep a squadron planes up and running for a long time due to maintanance problems?
If yes how they are calculated?

Dose any one tested how a US Death Star in 44 would do against 100 Betty's covered by 200 Fighters if yes what
were the results also how dose the concentrated 4E attack on a japanese base looks like? Dose any one tested a large
scale CV engagements (i only saw Coral sea scenario twice i think).

Land

I read somewhere that Allies will have units restricted so that even by paying PP cost to change command a player will not be able to move
them anywhere outside their starting area? if yes what units would those be and dose the japs have the same problem??

Pinky: Hey Brain what are we goeing to do this evening?
Brain: The Usual Pinky we will try to take over the World;)
Post #: 1
RE: Few Qestions - 1/13/2009 10:57:28 PM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Przemcio231

Hi i have few Questions about

Production System
From what i understand the production system will only be avaliable to the Japanese player with Light Industry (produces supply) and
Rafineries (produces Oil) Added? Everything else will be as in stock WITP like producing planes, engines , ships? Allied player will be stuck
with the planes he gets every month into the pool?

I can answer the production question:

You are mostly correct - the Allies do also have Light Industry generating supplies, and refineries converting oil into fuel, but the HI/engine/aircraft/vehicle production is mainly for the Japanese. The Allies do have a few aircraft factories on the map where appropriate, but most of their aircraft are "produced" off map (as in stock).

Andrew

(in reply to Przemcio231)
Post #: 2
RE: Few Qestions - 1/13/2009 11:44:47 PM   
Kereguelen

quote:

Land

I read somewhere that Allies will have units restricted so that even by paying PP cost to change command a player will not be able to move
them anywhere outside their starting area? if yes what units would those be and dose the japs have the same problem??

The Japanese have this 'problem' mainly with their Puppet Forces/Allies (Manchukuo, Chinese Puppets, Thais, Mongolians).

This prevents use of (e.g.) Manchukuo forces in the South Pacific. Certain Japanese HQ's are also permanently restricted.

Post #: 3
RE: Few Qestions - 1/14/2009 2:28:18 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

Land

For the US -- units that trained on the West Coast but deployed to Europe can not be moved off of the West Coast. At one time or another this will include 3 Armored Divisions, 6 Infantry Divisions and various supporting units.

Essentially, they are in the game to provide a historically accurate reminder to the Japanese player that trying to invade the North American mainland would be a very, very, very, very bad idea. An "even against the AI" bad idea.

The US also gets several divisions of reinforcements, as well as a Corps Commander named Patton, if the West Coast is invaded.

A very bad idea.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

Post #: 4
RE: Few Qestions - 1/14/2009 2:12:47 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blackhorse

. . . as well as a Corps Commander named Patton . . .

So how is his aggresion?

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 5
RE: Few Qestions - 1/14/2009 2:14:10 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

For the US -- units that trained on the West Coast but deployed to Europe can not be moved off of the West Coast. At one time or another this will include 3 Armored Divisions, 6 Infantry Divisions and various supporting units.

Just curious, but what HQ will these units be attached too? Is there something in the game to let the player know that a certain unit is earmarked for Europe? Or is it just the withdraw date?

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 6
RE: Few Qestions - 1/14/2009 2:46:49 PM   
wild_Willie2

On torpedo's

What I have understood about the torpedo supply feature:
Torpedo's are now build at a fixed rate, just like OHKA's.

Each base over a certain amound of supply gets a "get torpedo" button that gives you an aerial torpedo to use each time you press it until they are out of supply....

In vinum illic est sapientia , in matera illic est vires , in aqua illic es bacteria.

In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there are bacteria.

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 7
RE: Few Qestions - 1/14/2009 3:54:14 PM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: wild_Willie2

On torpedo's

What I have understood about the torpedo supply feature:
Torpedo's are now build at a fixed rate, just like OHKA's.

Each base over a certain amound of supply gets a "get torpedo" button that gives you an aerial torpedo to use each time you press it until they are out of supply....

Mines are built at a fixed rate, not torpedoes. HQs hold 100 torpedoes and are automatically refreshed at the end of the day assuming enough supplies at the base (each torp eats 10 supply).

You can manually increase the daily allocation in increments of up to 10.

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 8
RE: Few Qestions - 1/14/2009 3:59:52 PM   
Andy Mac

Same story on the British Units

Units like 70th Div, 5th British Div, 7th Armoured Bde etc etc have all got withdrawal dates because they left to go to another theatre.

Some units also have disband dates because they were cannibalised for replacements. This was a controversial area for us in Devpt - e.g. 267th Indian Armoured Bde existed but was disbanded due to lack or role and replacements - 4 or 5 British AA Regts were disbanded and several Aus Armoured Regts and Light Horse Regts were disbanded all to provide Infantry replacements as the manpower crisis hits in 43/44

Should a player be forced to disband these units just because they historically did ?

Well we went round and round and round and round on that question and they will have withdrawal dates specified in the stock scenario and they will disband per history and the player recieves appropriate one off increases in replacement infantry to help support the infantry casualties they are suffering

But this is and was a gray area where you could argue either way.

There are 2 types of withdraw/disband function for units

Type 1 units withdraw to go to another theatre - all devices leave with them e.g. 7th Armured Bde
Type 2 units disband in theatre devices are added back to the stockpiles

Andy

(in reply to wild_Willie2)
Post #: 9
RE: Few Qestions - 1/14/2009 6:43:56 PM   
Przemcio231

Are the Japanese units subjetc to winthrawal from any reason???

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 10
RE: Few Qestions - 1/14/2009 6:56:25 PM   
jmscho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

There are 2 types of withdraw/disband function for units

Type 1 units withdraw to go to another theatre - all devices leave with them e.g. 7th Armured Bde
Type 2 units disband in theatre devices are added back to the stockpiles

Andy

Like many others I am keen to get to grips with AE and appreciate the efforts of the development team. However, in the case of ground unit withdrawal I believe the team may have made the wrong decisions - but we will live with them.

IMO, Theatre commanders would not be aware of requirements to withdraw specific units. They would get notice of the need to lose, for instance an infantry division. It would be their choice which division, and they certainly would not withdraw a unit actually on the front line.

Similarly for type 2, but they would also have the option to take the individual squads, devices etc from any rear area units.

Having said that keep up the good work, we all wait expectantly.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 11
RE: Few Qestions - 1/14/2009 7:04:50 PM   
2ndACR

Will units rebuilding recieving replacements still be stuck with the 1 a day that we see in stock?

Sucks that it takes 6 months to fill out a small IJA base force or even an Allied unit when you have a slew of replacements in the pools. If you have the replacements, I would rather see a big experience hit and fill the unit alot faster, than the way it is now.

(in reply to jmscho)
Post #: 12
RE: Few Qestions - 1/14/2009 8:03:47 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmscho

IMO, Theatre commanders would not be aware of requirements to withdraw specific units. They would get notice of the need to lose, for instance an infantry division. It would be their choice which division, and they certainly would not withdraw a unit actually on the front line.

I kinda doubt it. I think they were (and would be) told exactly which units to send.

(in reply to jmscho)
Post #: 13
RE: Few Qestions - 1/14/2009 8:52:24 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

I kinda doubt it. I think they were (and would be) told exactly which units to send.

With the qualification that big cheese hqs (i.e. above theater commands) could read a map as well. If x was in the front lines in Burma and y was chilling in Karachi, they would have accepted y as a substitute.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14
RE: Few Qestions - 1/14/2009 9:13:01 PM   
witpqs

Having only spotty faith in Big Cheeses, I have to reply "sometimes".

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 15
RE: Few Qestions - 1/14/2009 9:31:55 PM   
jmscho

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

With the qualification that big cheese hqs (i.e. above theater commands) could read a map as well. If x was in the front lines in Burma and y was chilling in Karachi, they would have accepted y as a substitute.

Or the powers that be would have had to accept the need to wait longer while the unit was replaced on the front line and retired to a base from which they could be withdrawn.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 16
RE: Few Qestions - 1/14/2009 10:23:53 PM   
Andy Mac

Yes an no and we went the way we did because we were not able to code choice into it.

Also defining a Div is not that easy

Lest say a player chooses to send 39th Indian Div when asked to withdraw a Div they are sending a Training Div off map in place of a British Motorised Inf Div to Italy.

What you want is not possible within the engine which ultimately decided the question

(in reply to jmscho)
Post #: 17
RE: Few Qestions - 1/15/2009 2:24:01 AM   
witpqs

... And in real life that kind of bait and switch would not be tolerated. If a theater commander could make all those decisions the best would stay and only the worst would leave. Simply unrealistic.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 18
RE: Few Qestions - 1/15/2009 2:55:28 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison

quote:

Just curious, but what HQ will these units be attached too? Is there something in the game to let the player know that a certain unit is earmarked for Europe? Or is it just the withdraw date?

They're attached to the US West Coast (Fourth Army) HQ.

West Coast units with the headquarters listed in white, can't change HQs, so they are stuck on the west Coast. You'll also see the withdrawal date prominently displayed on the LCU page. These are the folks that trained in / garrisoned the West Coast until they were ordered to Europe.

West Coast units with the headquarters in yellow, can change HQ (cost PPs). Once changed, they can deploy. Some of the deployable units also have withdrawal dates -- these were mostly units that were historically sent to Alaska in 42-43, then redeployed to Europe in 1944.

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

(in reply to Chad Harrison)
Post #: 19
RE: Few Qestions - 1/15/2009 3:10:18 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

Like many others I am keen to get to grips with AE and appreciate the efforts of the development team. However, in the case of ground unit withdrawal I believe the team may have made the wrong decisions - but we will live with them.

Similarly for type 2, but they would also have the option to take the individual squads, devices etc from any rear area units.

Having said that keep up the good work, we all wait expectantly.

Thanks for the kind words.

For the US, the withdrawals were pretty cut-and-dried. The West Coast units that went to the ETO were, for the most part, never assigned to a PTO command. They were training on the West Coast, and available to help repel an invasion, but otherwise did not answer to any Pacific commander.

For disbands, since we can't offer the players choices [ex: do you want to disband the Marine paratroopers and rangers to help form the 5th and 6th divisions; or foresake the new divisions and keep the airborne and ranger forces?] we stick to the actual historical decisions made. So in game the USMC special forces will disband to allow the two new divisions to arrive when they did.

As Andy indicated, unless we seriously overhauled the code (with all that means for the possibility of additional bugs, and additional delays) it would be just too easy for a player to 'game' withdrawals, so we stuck to specific units. Not a perfect solution, but the best solution among the available options.

(in reply to jmscho)
Post #: 20
RE: Few Qestions - 1/15/2009 9:21:26 AM   
Przemcio231

So any word on the Japanese 1st turn move bonus???

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 21
RE: Few Qestions - 1/15/2009 10:33:48 AM   
rockmedic109

ABout the LCU withdrawals.  Will we have to move them back to San Francisco {or elsewhere} in order to withdraw them like current RN withdrawals?  Is there a list of upcoming withdrawals {like the list of reinforcements}?

Post #: 22
RE: Few Qestions - 1/15/2009 11:18:58 AM   
Blackhorse

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

ABout the LCU withdrawals.  Will we have to move them back to San Francisco {or elsewhere} in order to withdraw them like current RN withdrawals? 

No

quote:

Is there a list of upcoming withdrawals {like the list of reinforcements}?

Yes

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 23
RE: Few Qestions - 1/15/2009 12:16:39 PM   
jmscho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Yes an no and we went the way we did because we were not able to code choice into it.

Also defining a Div is not that easy

Lest say a player chooses to send 39th Indian Div when asked to withdraw a Div they are sending a Training Div off map in place of a British Motorised Inf Div to Italy.

What you want is not possible within the engine which ultimately decided the question

Thanks Andy, my post was only a comment without knowing what is really possible within the engine.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 24
RE: Few Qestions - 1/15/2009 2:32:04 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

They're attached to the US West Coast (Fourth Army) HQ.

West Coast units with the headquarters listed in white, can't change HQs, so they are stuck on the west Coast. You'll also see the withdrawal date prominently displayed on the LCU page. These are the folks that trained in / garrisoned the West Coast until they were ordered to Europe.

West Coast units with the headquarters in yellow, can change HQ (cost PPs). Once changed, they can deploy. Some of the deployable units also have withdrawal dates -- these were mostly units that were historically sent to Alaska in 42-43, then redeployed to Europe in 1944.

Thanks for the reply!

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 25
RE: Few Qestions - 1/15/2009 3:09:09 PM   
aciddrinker

quote:

So any word on the Japanese 1st turn move bonus???

I think 1st turn bost in speed for Japan is same as in stock. I can't imagine to remove this bost.

Post #: 26
RE: Few Qestions - 1/15/2009 3:12:35 PM   
Terminus

Sort of. It's now available to both sides, as a switch to set for each individual pre-defined TF in the editor. So the speed bonus can apply to no, some or all TF's in a given scenario.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to aciddrinker)
Post #: 27
RE: Few Qestions - 1/15/2009 3:28:19 PM   
aciddrinker

Oh great so we have now chance to relocate some force to adjust our strategy ^^

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 28
RE: Few Qestions - 1/15/2009 4:49:06 PM   
Przemcio231

Ok i see but will it be possible to land all over the map in campaign without historical start????

(in reply to aciddrinker)
Post #: 29
RE: Few Qestions - 1/15/2009 8:29:03 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

Will units rebuilding recieving replacements still be stuck with the 1 a day that we see in stock?

Sucks that it takes 6 months to fill out a small IJA base force or even an Allied unit when you have a slew of replacements in the pools. If you have the replacements, I would rather see a big experience hit and fill the unit alot faster, than the way it is now.

This is a good question to which I would also like to know the answer. Anyone know?

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Few Qestions Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI