Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis & Allies

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Axis & Allies Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis & Allies - 1/4/2009 4:20:54 PM   
Kuokkanen

Let's dedicate this thread for discussion about board wargame Axis & Allies.

I've got question: when 1 infantry and 1 artillery take part in an attack, how many dices are rolled for the 2 when artillery is supporting infantry?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Post #: 1
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/4/2009 7:15:49 PM   
Rodwell

Isn't there a new version out? I've been thinking about getting it to play with my 5-year old.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/4/2009 7:58:09 PM   
Scott_WAR

Axis and Allies revised was released a few years ago.

If 1 infantry and 1 artillary are attacking two dice are rolled,  both at 2 or less to hit. The artillary rolls one dice at 2 or less, and since the infantry is accompanied by the artillary it rolls at 2 or less instead of one or less.

(in reply to Rodwell)
Post #: 3
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/4/2009 8:40:08 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

If 1 infantry and 1 artillary are attacking two dice are rolled,  both at 2 or less to hit.

Thanks! Manual didn't make it clear enough.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 4
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/4/2009 9:54:19 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

Axis and Allies revised was released a few years ago.

If 1 infantry and 1 artillary are attacking two dice are rolled,  both at 2 or less to hit. The artillary rolls one dice at 2 or less, and since the infantry is accompanied by the artillary it rolls at 2 or less instead of one or less.

There's an even newer one just out: Axis & Allies Aniversary Edition. Over 600 units and super large board. Check it out at Hasbro's site.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 5
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/4/2009 9:57:08 PM   
Scott_WAR

No kidding,...I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 6
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/4/2009 10:50:57 PM   
leastonh1

I've played Risk and didn't care for it, but often wondered...what's the difference between Axis & Allies and Risk?

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 7
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/4/2009 10:55:13 PM   
V22 Osprey

I think Axis and Allies has more complexity and depth.

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 8
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/4/2009 11:07:19 PM   
Scott_WAR

Axis and Allies is WW2 (obviously). Instead of just infantry (RISK) there are infantry, artillery, tanks, fighters, bombers, subs, destroyers, cruisers, carriers, battleships and transports.
Axis and Allies is a step above RISK in complexity and depth, but is very simple when compared to most war games. Its actually one of the best games for introducing people into wargaming in my opinion.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 9
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/4/2009 11:12:12 PM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rodwell

Isn't there a new version out? I've been thinking about getting it to play with my 5-year old.

LOL, I havent figured out if this is a sincere statement or a sarcastic remark.......

(in reply to Rodwell)
Post #: 10
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/5/2009 12:32:37 AM   
hadberz

I always liked the Max's Advanced rules for Axis and Allies expansion. Then again I haven't played it in 20 years so might be looking through rose colored glasses. :)

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 11
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/5/2009 12:33:14 AM   
Rodwell

Sincere. As stated above, Axis and Allies is a superb game for introducing someone to wargaming.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 12
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/5/2009 5:37:34 AM   
Hanal

It is too bad that A&A has never translated well into a pc game....

(in reply to Rodwell)
Post #: 13
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/5/2009 4:42:45 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

Have there been attempts? Are those still available?

MekWars

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 14
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/5/2009 5:05:45 PM   
Yogi the Great

I had the original Axis and Allies board game, fun easy game escape from more advanced board war games in my much younger days.  I never have tried the computer version though.

Recently (At a shopping Mall) I was surprised to see how many versions of the board game have been released.  In addtion to the original. I noticed, Europe, Pacific, and Battle of Bulge versions.  I think that there are also some based on other wars as well.

So I guess it must be a succesful series, at least for a board game.  Not cheap either, cost about $50 each.

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 1/5/2009 5:13:54 PM >

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 15
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/5/2009 5:28:28 PM   
Kung Karl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

The best atempt as far as I know is Axis & Allies: Iron Blitz

http://pc.ign.com/objects/012/012946.html
http://www.mobygames.com/game/axis-allies-iron-blitz

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 16
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/5/2009 6:27:16 PM   
Joram

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

I had the original Axis and Allies board game, fun easy game escape from more advanced board war games in my much younger days.  I never have tried the computer version though.

Recently (At a shopping Mall) I was surprised to see how many versions of the board game have been released.  In addtion to the original. I noticed, Europe, Pacific, and Battle of Bulge versions.  I think that there are also some based on other wars as well.

So I guess it must be a succesful series, at least for a board game.  Not cheap either, cost about $50 each.

While I owned the original game too, I place the blame squarely on this game in dumbing down the board gaming genre.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 17
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/5/2009 7:19:02 PM   
invernomuto

quote:

quote:

Other than Iron Blitz there is also TripleA witch is free.
http://triplea.sourceforge.net/

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 18
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/5/2009 7:30:13 PM   
leastonh1

The biggest criticism against Risk (aside from it being too simple for some people) is that you have to roll too many dice. I think that's why I've never bothered playing the boardgame. Axis & Allies looks good though, I might have to download a copy 

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 19
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/5/2009 8:49:13 PM   
Scott_WAR

LOL, you roll FAR more dice in Axis & Allies.

Iron Blitz is a bug filled piece of crap. If you want to play axis and allies on the PC your best bet is tripleA. Otherwise the original PC game is better than Iron Blitz. there is a community that still plays the original PC game online. I will get links and such and post them here. I will also post a link to a place you can buy the PC game.

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 1/5/2009 10:19:49 PM >

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 20
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/5/2009 8:51:23 PM   
GJK

Here, a quick and easy to play flash game that is pretty much Axis and Allies...

http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/dice/dice.html

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 21
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/6/2009 12:08:28 AM   
Scott_WAR

http://axisandalliesworldclub.net/

This is a club that plays the PC axis and allies game from 1998. They have a small program and server called War Zone for people to meet, chat, and creat rooms for games. The game can be launched from these rooms,....similiar to the old MSN gaming zone. They have a member who has made a few patches which have fixed a LOT of issues with the game. There is a message board at the site where they will help anyone new to the game figure out how to get it running, and how the club works.

I cleared my browser history this morning and now can not find the website I saw which had the old PC game for sale. More than likely someone in the above mentioned club may know where to get a copy.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 22
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/6/2009 2:22:13 AM   
killroyishere

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

The biggest criticism against Risk (aside from it being too simple for some people) is that you have to roll too many dice. I think that's why I've never bothered playing the boardgame. Axis & Allies looks good though, I might have to download a copy 

Surely you don't have to roll any more dice in Axis & Allies than you have to fire individual ordinance in SPWAW per unit/tank/artillery?? Unless you mean the actual physical activity of rolling the dice which I find is the better part of all board games. It's what I miss in PC games a lot of the times. I'd like to see the combat results tables that are going on behind the scenes in some of these games. Another better part of board wargames figuring up the odds and rolling that dice and smiling when those 1's and 6's comes up.

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 23
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/6/2009 2:35:12 AM   
Scott_WAR

You roll 1 dice for every unit that is attacking and every unit that is defending. Casualties are removed, and then 1 dice is rolled for every remaining attacker and every remaining defender,....repeated until defender is dead or attacker retreats. In the club I linked to above I have played quite a few games where the large battle that ends the game has over 100 units on each side.

The PC game does show the rolls. In fact one of the settings in the games options is to make the dice rolls instantaneous. This setting is mandatory in online games.

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 24
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/6/2009 2:47:32 AM   
Scott_WAR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

While I owned the original game too, I place the blame squarely on this game in dumbing down the board gaming genre.

You should also consider that this board game introduced many people to wargaming.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 25
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/9/2009 5:04:28 PM   
Kuokkanen

More questions incoming!

What units can aircrafts attack against?

What units can attack aircrafts? (besides AAG)

Can bomber attack other aircrafts?

MekWars

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 26
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/9/2009 5:10:06 PM   
invernomuto

quote:

More questions incoming!

What units can aircrafts attack against?

What units can attack aircrafts? (besides AAG)

Can bomber attack other aircrafts?

1) an aircraft can attack any unit (except factory or AAGs)
2) Except transports (which can only defend with 1 and has an attack value of 0) and submarines (that cannot attack Aircraft) any units can attack aircrafts
3) Yes.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 27
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/9/2009 7:11:09 PM   
GJK

Game Table Online also has a fairly large and active A&A following (among other games).

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 28
RE: Axis & Allies - 1/9/2009 8:01:59 PM   
Arctic Blast

Anyone here familiar with any of the newer A&A games that have come out over the last few years? I'm wondering if they maybe offer a little more detail than the original did.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Axis & Allies Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote