Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

EU Rome and VV

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> EU Rome and VV Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
EU Rome and VV - 1/3/2009 1:34:05 PM   
JudgeDredd

Just in case anyone was half interested.

EU Rome Vae Victus was released before Christmas and I bought it. However, I have been unable to run it.

Post on Paradox forums here, although you won't be able to view it unless you have Rome and registered it.

Pretty much lost me temper, but I've lost my patience with their support. It really is very poor.

If anyone has VV and has it working...did you have any prblems that you had to get over initially? Maybe it's something I haven't tried.

Thx
Post #: 1
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/3/2009 5:32:32 PM   
uncc

I received the box copy of EU Rome for Christmas, then bought and downloaded VV from Gamersgate.  Both installed with no problems on my PC (2.66GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM, Vista64 SP1, 1GB nVidia 9800GT).  Also downloaded and installed the 2.1 patch.  The only issue I have had (so far) is when I try to exit VV, it locks up.  Apparently a know issue that they are looking into...eventually...

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/3/2009 6:24:00 PM   
JudgeDredd

mmm...don't know what's wrong at my end then.

Intel 2.33GHz Quad Core
4GB Ram
512MB 8800GT
Windows XP SP3

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 3
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/3/2009 6:35:24 PM   
PunkReaper

Just got rome downloaded and looking at VV. What problems are you having?

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/3/2009 7:20:39 PM   
Grell

I will never support Rome again, once bitten twice shy.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 5
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/3/2009 9:28:21 PM   
JudgeDredd

Well, when it starts to load, it gets to the stage where it says "Map Initialised Properly" or something like that, then drops me to a Windows error (by that I mean a Windows Dialog box showing an error...something to do with Visual C++ 2005 Runtimes) and when I click OK, the game unloads and I'm left with the desktop in front of me...so I never get into a game.

I've just discovered that I am now suffering the same fate with EUIII, Napoleons Ambition AND In Nomine...same error.

I've followed all their suggestions...downloading and installing Visual Studio C++ 2005 Runtimes, reinstalling DirectX (even though I buy games pretty much on a bi-weekly basis and they ALWAYS install the latest version of DirectX), uninstalling and reinstalling...nothing works.

I've also tried uninstalling (much to my gall) Visual Studio 2008 (my development tools) to see if it was a conflict between C++ 2005 and C++ 2008...nothing.

So, EUIII, NA, IN, Rome and VV are not working...and can I get an official answer on the Paradox forums? Nope.

I have rebuilt my computer lately...complete reinstall and new hardware and I can say with some certainty that I have not played ANY of these games since the rebuild. So I'm pretty sure there is a hardware/software/driver issue between my system build and the game.

What, I have no idea...system is
Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
4GB DDR3 Ram
BFG nVidia 8800GT OC2 512MB graphics card with 180.48 drivers
Windows XP SP3

I will promise this. They will not get a single solitary penny off me if I can't get these games working.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 6
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/3/2009 9:37:35 PM   
Terminus

It's another sad step on the "Give-Us-Your-Money-And-Go-****-Yourselves" road that the major game companies are currently on.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/3/2009 9:47:40 PM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
So, EUIII, NA, IN, Rome and VV are not working...and can I get an official answer on the Paradox forums? Nope.

That ist strange and I feel sorry for you.

I didn't purchase VV, as I hated Rome already but every else Pd title (EU III, Victoria, Crusader Kings, Hoi2) work fine on my system. I have a similiar machine like you, just with a different graphic board and Vista 32 bit.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/3/2009 10:54:54 PM   
doomtrader

My system is not so high end as Judge's but VV works fine for me.

Try to write directly to GG support

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 9
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/3/2009 11:14:33 PM   
JudgeDredd

The issue isn't with Gamersgate. It happens with my fresh install of EU III and Rome, both of which are disk.

Maybe I'll write to Paradox support...but I really don't rate my chances!

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 10
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/3/2009 11:32:26 PM   
Arctic Blast

Very strange issue you seem to be having, Judge. Beyond simply repeating the same suggestions they've already given you, I'm really not sure where the problem might be. The only thing I can think of is make sure you do a total uninstall...look for folders and registry entries left behind after the standard uninstall is finished, and make sure the system is completely clean before re-installing?

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 11
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/4/2009 10:48:30 AM   
Krasny

I use Revo Uninstaller.

It's pretty thorough.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 12
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/4/2009 2:01:24 PM   
sullafelix

I have roughly the same setup and I have all those titles installed and no problems but they are all direct downloads no disks. Only difference really is I'm running Vista home premium. Paradox does usually put out buggy games when first released but to their credit they have always worked on them and delivered patches. Sorry for your hassle with them.

Intel quad 4 2.4 GHZ
4GB DDR3
BFG 9800 512 MB newest drivers

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 13
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/4/2009 4:02:21 PM   
leastonh1

I'd also go with Revo Uninstaller (awesome program!) as Krasny said and use the Advanced sweep to make sure. Then reboot and reinstall again.

Is there anything in the event logs JD? They can often point directly to the cause of a crash when the Windoze dialog boxes are vague.

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 14
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/4/2009 5:37:49 PM   
JudgeDredd

Nope. Revo didn't help that I could see. Usd it, reinstalled and the same issue.

Also no problems that I can attribute to the game...there is a LicCtrlService issue, which is licence control, but not sure that that is linked to EU III or it's expansions.

I think I'll just put it down to experience and drop them. Seems I've upset AndrewT at EU support forums as well...oops. Not wise to piss off someone who is trying to help you (although he took my post wrong...I was saying Paradox and their shoddy support system are crap...he thought I was saying his support was crap!).

Shame. There's over £100 of software in these games and there expansions and I actually really liked EU III.

I'll just steer clear of Paradox now. I wasn't too keen on Gamersgate anyway...the interface seems to promise so much and actually delivers very little...it doesn't even list patches available!

I was stoked about HoI3, but no way.

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 15
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/4/2009 5:51:58 PM   
JudgeDredd

This is the error I get

I've already conceded that it's an issue with my system/what I have installed and the game....but conceding this doesn't fix the fact that I have £100 of software I cannot use. Seems to me, devs/publishers/support staff all too regularly like to use the "well, it's your system" rather than actually looking at their software, what it uses and how that may be affected on some systems.

As I posted on their forums...does support only become viable when 10/20/100/1000 people have a problem? Or does the one individual who has a problem get his issues looked into?

Seems to be the former.

I'm just really, really annoyed about it at the minute. I bought Rome when it came out and was quickly shown that it had very little substance to it...so when the Vae Victus "patch" came out, I bought it in the hope that it was going to be rectified.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 16
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/4/2009 6:35:11 PM   
leastonh1

This error seems to be a well known issue with Windows and there is a knowledgebase article on it. Google KB884538. From what I can gather, there is an MS hotfix for the problem, but it means you ringing MS to get them to email you the fix. It hasn't been tested fully yet, so they haven't released it on their site. It does look like a few people have used the patch with mixed results, so I wouldn't get excited.

Here's the MS page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884538
Here's a link I found to get the patch directly (see the second post), but I can't say whether the source is legit: http://qna.live.com/ShowQuestion.aspx?qid=C84B80947F884B9B8512F4DA7950E002

I hope these help, as it would be a damn shame to shelve that much software!

Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 17
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/5/2009 7:57:05 AM   
JudgeDredd

No joy Jim, thx though.

The patch doesn't want to install as my "Service Pack" exceeds the date of the patch release. I actually remember downloading that patch when I had SP2 and it actually did work.

I've actually confused issues slightly, because I have a different problem with EU III and it's axpansions and Rome VV.

EU III
I start the game, select new game, choose a nation and the map loads. When the map is displayed the sea is moving very laggy and moving the map or zooming in takes forever...this lasts for a few seconds immediately once the game map has loaded, then I'm dropped to the desktop and the message displayed in my last post.

If I click OK on the dialog, EU III closes and I am returned to the desktop. If I do not click OK, I can go to the taskbar and restore the EU III window and play the game. The map looks fine and has lost the initial lagginess it showed when it was first loaded. If I choose to exit the game using the normal route (from the game menu) the game crashes and I have to do a hard reboot. However, I can ALT-TAB out to the error dialog which happily sits in the background and click the OK button. This will end my EU III game and return me to the desktop.

Rome VV
When I start a game of Rome, it goes through all the loading of trees etc and gets to the stage where it says at the bottom of the art screens "Map Properly Initialised" and then drops to the taskbar and shows me the same message as I get for EU III.

Same thing...if I click the OK button, it closes the game and drops me to the desktop. What is different is if I do not click the OK button. Unlike EH III, if I leave the error dialog there and restore the game from the taskbar, the map loads and the game looks normal, but I cannot play. It's frozen.

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 18
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/5/2009 9:18:29 AM   
doomtrader

quote:

No joy Jim, thx though.

The patch doesn't want to install as my "Service Pack" exceeds the date of the patch release. I actually remember downloading that patch when I had SP2 and it actually did work.

I've actually confused issues slightly, because I have a different problem with EU III and it's axpansions and Rome VV.

EU III
I start the game, select new game, choose a nation and the map loads. When the map is displayed the sea is moving very laggy and moving the map or zooming in takes forever...this lasts for a few seconds immediately once the game map has loaded, then I'm dropped to the desktop and the message displayed in my last post.

If I click OK on the dialog, EU III closes and I am returned to the desktop. If I do not click OK, I can go to the taskbar and restore the EU III window and play the game. The map looks fine and has lost the initial lagginess it showed when it was first loaded. If I choose to exit the game using the normal route (from the game menu) the game crashes and I have to do a hard reboot. However, I can ALT-TAB out to the error dialog which happily sits in the background and click the OK button. This will end my EU III game and return me to the desktop.

Rome VV
When I start a game of Rome, it goes through all the loading of trees etc and gets to the stage where it says at the bottom of the art screens "Map Properly Initialised" and then drops to the taskbar and shows me the same message as I get for EU III.

Same thing...if I click the OK button, it closes the game and drops me to the desktop. What is different is if I do not click the OK button. Unlike EH III, if I leave the error dialog there and restore the game from the taskbar, the map loads and the game looks normal, but I cannot play. It's frozen.

So are you able to go trough the menu?
If yes, try to turn off trees.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 19
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/5/2009 4:19:14 PM   
JudgeDredd

Tried turning off tress/simple water/no AA/sound at -1

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 20
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/5/2009 7:25:55 PM   
PunkReaper

My copy also only works with the trees turned off although it loaded further than JD is getting.....

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 21
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/6/2009 3:26:12 AM   
sabre1

It's obvius JD, it's time to upgrade to Vista 64.  (Sorry I couldn't resist)

(in reply to PunkReaper)
Post #: 22
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/6/2009 8:02:35 AM   
leastonh1

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Ah yes, Vista is brilliant. Absolutely bug free and super fast, even with old hardware.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 23
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/6/2009 8:32:00 AM   
killroyishere

quote:

Well, when it starts to load, it gets to the stage where it says "Map Initialised Properly" or something like that, then drops me to a Windows error (by that I mean a Windows Dialog box showing an error...something to do with Visual C++ 2005 Runtimes) and when I click OK, the game unloads and I'm left with the desktop in front of me...so I never get into a game.

I've just discovered that I am now suffering the same fate with EUIII, Napoleons Ambition AND In Nomine...same error.

I've followed all their suggestions...downloading and installing Visual Studio C++ 2005 Runtimes, reinstalling DirectX (even though I buy games pretty much on a bi-weekly basis and they ALWAYS install the latest version of DirectX), uninstalling and reinstalling...nothing works.

I've also tried uninstalling (much to my gall) Visual Studio 2008 (my development tools) to see if it was a conflict between C++ 2005 and C++ 2008...nothing.

I have rebuilt my computer lately...complete reinstall and new hardware and I can say with some certainty that I have not played ANY of these games since the rebuild. So I'm pretty sure there is a hardware/software/driver issue between my system build and the game.

What, I have no idea...system is
Intel Core2 Quad Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
4GB DDR3 Ram
BFG nVidia 8800GT OC2 512MB graphics card with 180.48 drivers
Windows XP SP3

I will promise this. They will not get a single solitary penny off me if I can't get these games working.

I had the same problem and they could't figure it out either. But, I went and looked up info on my graphics card and sound card and it turns out there's some AC97 Realtec (my onboard sound I use) codec driver that was required to download an install for the game to work. The version is WDM A406 and you can probably google it to find it to download.
I was going to buy a new rig in October, but, I procrastinated when I asked myself if I really needed it now and as I read more and more issues with PC games not working I'm leaning toward just getting out of the PC gaming and moving into consoles as they are just less headaches and I don't really use any mods so I can live with console versions.
I bought three games this christmas that I'm having to jump through hoops to get to work. EU:Rome was one and that one I figured out on my own, but, Advanced Tactics and M2TW Gold are two that won't work no matter what all I try (M2TW has some kind of securom issues and says to do some stuff with ide setup on my DVDrom like DMA to P0 and back again which I did and it still doesn't work). Then it said something about making sure I had origional disc and it's brand new out of a retail box. I miss the days of install and go games myself. I'm rather tired of DRM and starforce and securom and now this net framework 2.0 stuff invading my system.
It amazes me when I can get all my DOS games to work just fine that there are so many new games today that don't work or crash halfway through them or have memory leaks and run sluggish etc. etc. Games aren't getting better they are getting to be more pains in the dink just to get to operate. Hope you get yours figured out.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 24
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/6/2009 4:43:36 PM   
PunkReaper

I recently got an xbox 360 because not being a techie, I was fed up having difficulty getting new pc games working. I bought Fallout 3 and Fable 2 only to find both games having bugs in them that ruined my enjoyment. Now that people are expected to have broadband access it seems that console games are becoming more bug ridden and need of patches.... sometimes I despair at where this hobby is going.

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 25
RE: EU Rome and VV - 1/6/2009 7:37:31 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Ah yes, Vista is brilliant. Absolutely bug free and super fast, even with old hardware.

On top of that it's open source and free to download !

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> EU Rome and VV Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll