Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Space sims...again...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Space sims...again... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Space sims...again... - 2/7/2009 5:43:52 PM   
sabre1

Matti,

I agree with your choices, but, so far with Starshtter, at least with the Matrix edition, it has been less than stellar.  I have had mouse and graphic problems, and I own LOTS of various games of all types.  Starshatter is the only one so far that has given me headaches.  I will say the game looks interesting.  Yes, I did post problems in the tech area and help desk.  WDBOYD seemed to think that the new beta patch does not work with the Matrix edtion.  Of course that is his opinon, but for now he is the only one offering any help.

Homeworld is excellent, difficult, but excellent.  The opening scenes and music are worth the price of admission.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 31
RE: Space sims...again... - 2/9/2009 6:01:44 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

Not a bad game, but IMHO Imperium Galactica 2 is STILL better game

Month ago I bought both Galciv 1 & 2 and I have to say they are superb. I was truly suprised. The series ends with prequel nexus: jupiter incident that is more like mission based spacefleet wargame than 4x: http://www.mobygames.com/game/nexus-the-jupiter-incident

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 32
RE: Space sims...again... - 2/9/2009 7:05:10 PM   
wdboyd

Hi,

I patched Starshatter from version 5.0.1 to the 5.0.3 beta and have had good results overall. I do not use TrackIR, which was introduced with the version 5.0.2 patch. I had all kinds of CTD problems with this particualar patch. A lot of people apparently did.

If one can load the game and patch up to version 5.0.1, things should work very well.

The recent 5.0.3 patch has corrected problems that were within the games dynamic campaign. I cant' comment upon any 5.0.3 TrackIR fixes though.

Fianlly, I have encountered NO problems modding tactical sci-fi games with Starshatter:TGS. Modding is my recent focus of the games use. I have found Starshatter to be a great platform for these endeavours.

Keep Em Flying Commanders.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 33
RE: Space sims...again... - 2/9/2009 8:06:20 PM   
sabre1

Zakhal,

Gal Civ2 is excellent without a doubt.  You might want to take a look at Sins of a Solar Empire.  For an RTS it is outstanding.  I also have Sword of the Stars and all of it's add ons, but I still prefer the later two over it.

If Sins added ground combat, now that would be over the top.

WD,

Patching from 5.0.1 to the beta is not currently an option for me since Matrix only offers the 5.02 download.  Maybe you could ask Matrix about this situation, since no one seems to be listening. 

(in reply to wdboyd)
Post #: 34
RE: Space sims...again... - 2/10/2009 2:47:48 AM   
Charles2222

I can't recall if I responded to this thread before, but I bought GalCiv1 and hated it. It was WAY too difficult on the default level, which is the level I play games at exclusively. Even assuming I could adjust to that, I see no point in playing a game where one enemy basically just builds a huge fleet and comes at you in the opening turns (I'm talking AI enemy here) and demolishes you. For a game of that sort to interest me, they at least got to give me some chance to both explore, research and build before they do that, otherwise, I'm just in a bore to build what that one or more enemy will build just to survive. Inevitably, another enemy or two will do basically what I was trying to do, get something of a research lead, which of course means I get beat no matter what I do, by either the early bully or the tech builders. I certainly wouldn't buy the 2nd game based on my dissatisfaction with that one. I also hesitated very strongly on buying Sins of a Solar Empire, because I think it's made by the same group. I only bought it because one of our bigtime turn-based only guys got hot on it, and figured for a guy who hates real-time more than I do (though I've had maybe 5 or 6 real-time games over the years), maybe it's worth a gamble. It's not the greatest game in the world, but it does have quite a lot of life in it, and I have been playing it for some time now. At least I can get pretty deep into the game before I'm ganged up on and I can at least see that winning is possible, and that learning more tweaking can help quite a bit.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 35
RE: Space sims...again... - 2/11/2009 10:35:18 AM   
milkweg

For MOO like games the best there is now is Swords of the Stars and it's expansions. You can download purchase those from Gamer's Gate. Also Sins of a Solar Empires is good if you prefer something more like Homeworld but better. I have Space Empires V and I think it is good but it is also complex, I never played SEIV though so I am not looking at it in comparison to that game. Then there is GalCivII also but I like Sword of the Stars better. As for space sims, X3 I guess is the closest to what you want really. Gamer's Gate ahs a number of Space Sims I have never heard of before and a couple of those might be hidden gems but I doubt it. Install Battlecrusier now and again just so I can shake my fist at Derek Smart and call him an idiot. I would recommend Starshatter if they would just get the bugs fixed and it had graphics like X3.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 36
RE: Space sims...again... - 2/11/2009 1:11:48 PM   
sabre1

Well with Starshatter if you have Vista, Matrix basically wrote me to say to bad so sad, but you should read the operating requirements.  So for Starshatter I just shelved it, and moved on.  I have X3, haven't gotten into yet, but it looks like there is a large learning curve to it.  It is very nice to look at though.

I will give Swords of the Stars another shot.  I could not figure out the RTS of the ship combat, and have not warmed up to the 3d star system, and yes I have all the addons.  Starship Unlimited looks good, but haven't given it any serious time.  Lately when wanting my space fix Sins is my tool of choice, along with GalCivII.

Charles,

You are definitely a Geezer, like me. I do that all the time, forgeting if I posted in a particular forum, and it only gets worse.

(in reply to milkweg)
Post #: 37
RE: Space sims...again... - 2/11/2009 4:23:08 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Zakhal,

Gal Civ2 is excellent without a doubt.  You might want to take a look at Sins of a Solar Empire.  For an RTS it is outstanding.  I also have Sword of the Stars and all of it's add ons, but I still prefer the later two over it.

If Sins added ground combat, now that would be over the top.

I have all of those too. Including complete galciv2, the special version of sword of stars and the new addon. I didnt really like sins though. Viewing is awful and I dont like the user interface. Trying to move multiple tiny ships realtime in a gigantic map hopping from one zoom to another is just not fun.

Also after playing all RTS since dune2 I simply cant stand them anymore. My mousearm starts to hurt if I even think of the word RTS.

Galciv2 is okay but its battles are still way worse than those in master of orion series. And I find most of the ship designing pretty useless because the only thing it affects is the visual outlook of the ship. Galciv2 needs badly a decent tactical combat.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 2/11/2009 4:29:38 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 38
RE: Space sims...again... - 2/11/2009 6:58:42 PM   
cdbeck

Actually, there is a way to make the Sword of the Stars tactical camera go into free mode, but I always forget the keys.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Space sims...again... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI