Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops - 12/4/2008 2:24:51 AM   
uncc

I came across this great website from a link a friend sent me (he actually sent the link to the Those Old Westerns which just made me feel old since I recognized (and miss) so many of the faces)). I haven’t looked at all the links (there’s a lot!), but one, Military Christmas caught my eye since its that time of year.

[/on soap box]

I urge all of us to work with our churches or organizations like Moms4Marines, Fisher House, (insert your favorite organization here), etc to remember our military who will be away from their families this Christmas. Even a card would be sure to lift some spirits:

A Recovering American Soldier
c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center
6900 Georgia Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20307-5001

...here is another webiste that allows you to send a free post card. I believe they (Xerox) did this last year too...
http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html

Thanks and Merry Christmas!....

[/dismount soapbox]

< Message edited by uncc -- 12/11/2008 2:28:29 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)
Post #: 1
RE: Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops - 12/4/2008 3:05:28 AM   
Mike Dubost

I'm not sure if I should thank you for the link to Those Old Westerns, or curse you for lengthening my Netflix list so much .

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 2
RE: Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops - 12/4/2008 10:12:51 AM   
cdbeck

I agree with the sentiment, but do remember, there are American soldiers of multiple religions.

I think the people in the service appreciate the cards and care packages, even outside of the holidays. I don't remember what the organization was that offered the care baskets, but I remember that there was a group where you could buy a care basket and it would be sent to a soldier either stationed or recovering. I always thought that was a pretty neat thing. It had a card, chocolates, etc, and was certain to brighten someone's day.

If anyone remembers that link, perhaps they could put it here?

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Mike Dubost)
Post #: 3
RE: Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops - 12/6/2008 6:13:30 PM   
gunny

Having been on a couple tours recently, and going again, I can honestly say its really nice to know folks on the home front have not forgotten there is a war a world away going on. Its nice to receive greetingsi and packages. And actually alot of what we receive is really useful, sundries, hygeine items etc. This goes for any nationality actually, all working together in the present operations

On a more somber note, the Canadian Army just lost its 100th soldier in Afghanistan. Its sad that a milestone number takes the place of the names and faces of those lost and their brothers and sisters before them. The 3 last and 97 others will be missed equally, especially at this time of year.

< Message edited by gunny -- 12/6/2008 6:14:05 PM >

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 4
RE: Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops - 12/6/2008 6:51:00 PM   
noxious

Indeed gunny, at least CBC last night was trying to run the whole list in a ceremonial fashion, with War amps stock footage in the background : some zealous editor cut it before the end to switch to a commercial...

You're serving with the Canadian Armed Forces ? In any case, thanks for doing the hard work.
Cheers, stay safe
N.

Be Kind. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.

(in reply to gunny)
Post #: 5
RE: Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops - 12/11/2008 2:27:01 PM   
uncc

here is another webiste that allows you to send a free post card.  I believe they (Xerox) did this last year too...

http://www.letssaythanks.com/Home1024.html

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)

(in reply to noxious)
Post #: 6
RE: Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops - 12/11/2008 4:59:37 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort
I agree with the sentiment, but do remember, there are American soldiers of multiple religions.

I read this, and became curious as to what the facts are surrounding religious preference in the U.S. military. I found what appears to be reasonably, sound data on page 25 of this document: http://www.prb.org/Source/ACF1396.pdf

Best wishes and profoundest respect to Western military personnel in this holiday season!

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 7
RE: Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops - 12/11/2008 6:23:18 PM   
noxious

Incidentally, for those who'd like to send snail mail or packages to the Canucks in Afghanistan, go here :
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/Messageboard/index_e.asp

There is an option to post web messages, but I doubt many soldiers take the time to browse it while in the field : I'm going to write a good, old if not antique real letter and send it on its way :)
I hope some of you do the same
Cheers !!

Be Kind. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.

(in reply to noxious)
Post #: 8
RE: Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops - 12/11/2008 9:32:41 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

ORIGINAL: noxious

Incidentally, for those who'd like to send snail mail or packages to the Canucks in Afghanistan, go here :
http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/Community/Messageboard/index_e.asp

There is an option to post web messages, but I doubt many soldiers take the time to browse it while in the field : I'm going to write a good, old if not antique real letter and send it on its way :)
I hope some of you do the same
Cheers !!

Thanks a lot for the link, noxious. I think I'll do the same.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to noxious)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Tis the season. Let's not forget our troops Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI