Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best Pacific game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best Pacific game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Pacific game - 12/1/2008 6:01:25 AM   
buzard

I realize this is a subjective question. Which of the WWII
Pacific game has the best AI. Or perhaps I should say, which
AI makes the least stupid mistakes would be more accurate.

I'm only interested in single player at the moment.

buzard
Post #: 1
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/1/2008 1:59:46 PM   
Erik Rutins

The upcoming War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. That will require WITP to play however, so I'd say WITP now in preparation for that release, which won't be too much longer.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to buzard)
Post #: 2
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/1/2008 5:59:19 PM   
invernomuto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

The upcoming War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition.

Upcoming when?

However, I agree that WITP is THE game about the pacific and one of the best wargame I've ever played. Very difficult to start, but definitely a masterpiece IMHO.

BYE!!!

< Message edited by invernomuto -- 12/1/2008 6:01:22 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/1/2008 6:45:47 PM   
NefariousKoel

I've had some challenge out of Carriers at War, here, from Matrix. 

I like the fact that you could play a scenario in a couple hours instead of a couple years.

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 4
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/2/2008 4:26:21 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Has there ever been a PC game along the lines of the old Yaquinto Flattop game ?

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 5
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/2/2008 4:41:54 AM   
bradfordkay

Jeffrey. Carriers At War would be the closest to Flattop, which was done by Battleline Games. Yaquinto used the same game designers and system for CV, which covered the battle of Midway.

War In The Pacific is definitely the best game on the Pacific Theatre, but the AI is only good for about the first year of the war. After that, the AI bogs down tremendously... However, you will get a tremendous number of hours of gameplay out of that.

I average one to two hours per turn in WITP, and have put in about 800 turns against the AI and am now on turn 705 of PBEM play. It is definitely the best gaming value for my money...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 6
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/2/2008 5:10:08 AM   
Chad Harrison

Not to beat the horse, but I will have to also throw in my hat for War in the Pacific.

While many may find the AI to be silly, if you are new to the game the AI is quite the opponent. Obviously once you play a human opponent via PBEM (which is much, much more enjoyable for any game by the way), its hard to go back to the AI.

As Erik pointed out, Admirals Edition will expand on the AI, but WitP:AE would be a beast to learn if you have never played WitP/UV.

Hope this helps.

Chad

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 7
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/2/2008 1:15:33 PM   
Chad Harrison

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

The upcoming War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. That will require WITP to play however, so I'd say WITP now in preparation for that release, which won't be too much longer.

Hey Erik

On a side note, all we get a round about answers in the WitP forums. Can you shed any light on when we should expect to see WitP:AE?

I know a specific date is out of the question, but just a range would be great.

I know that I am not the only one greatly looking forward to to this great title.

Thanks in advance.

Chad

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/2/2008 6:21:16 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

Jeffrey. Carriers At War would be the closest to Flattop, which was done by Battleline Games. Yaquinto used the same game designers and system for CV, which covered the battle of Midway.

War In The Pacific is definitely the best game on the Pacific Theatre, but the AI is only good for about the first year of the war. After that, the AI bogs down tremendously... However, you will get a tremendous number of hours of gameplay out of that.

I average one to two hours per turn in WITP, and have put in about 800 turns against the AI and am now on turn 705 of PBEM play. It is definitely the best gaming value for my money...

Sorry, meant Battleline. (forehead slap).

Carriers at War eh ? Ok, I'll check it out. I always wanted to play a double blind version of Flattop. I have WitP but I'm not sure I can make the commitment to the time factor right now, maybe after I retire in 12 years ! Ha.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 9
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/2/2008 7:14:36 PM   
invernomuto

CAW is a good game. It has some shortcomings but it's definitely worth a try. 

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 10
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/3/2008 1:39:10 AM   
FirstPappy

The rumor is that Battlefront/Fury's SC2 Pacific Theater will be released on Dec 7th.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=206&Itemid=303

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 11
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/3/2008 2:12:25 AM   
buzard

Thanks for the info. I've played Gary's games on the Apple II and have attempted to
play UV. I kept running into a "feature" everytime I started a scenerio in UV.
If you do a search for buzard you'll find a few of my questions for a few years back.
Thought I'd see what has happened since I,ve been away. I don't mind a long learning
process as long as I can keep going. Like I said in UV I had to keep starting over
every time I tried to play.

buzard

(in reply to FirstPappy)
Post #: 12
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/3/2008 2:38:55 AM   
buzard

After thought. What about WitP but only go for 2 years. Granted that somewhat
defeats the design of the game, but if it keeps the AI a little sharper I could
deal with that. And I would get some time with the game system if AE proves to
firm up the AI for longer runs.

buzard

(in reply to buzard)
Post #: 13
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/3/2008 3:15:12 AM   
Gem35

You won't find a better pacific wargame than WitP.
As bradkordkay said, best value for your money of all the Matrix titles.
look for it in the first quarter of 2009(I predicted it's release by chrismas-time back in january.)

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to buzard)
Post #: 14
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/3/2008 3:28:47 AM   
Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: buzard

I realize this is a subjective question. Which of the WWII
Pacific game has the best AI. Or perhaps I should say, which
AI makes the least stupid mistakes would be more accurate.

I'm only interested in single player at the moment.

buzard

Look no further !

War In the Pacific , Carriers At War and Rising Sun about covers every scale and combined should quench your PTO thirst for years to come.

But if your bent on signaling one title out forget what I said and go with Uncommon Valor before making the WITP commitment .

(in reply to buzard)
Post #: 15
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/3/2008 4:59:23 PM   
SuluSea

You can't go wrong with Carriers At War or Uncommon Valor, I just made the splash with War in the Pacific thanks to Matrix's holiday sale I'm sure that is a quality game as well.

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 16
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/4/2008 12:15:59 PM   
Grell

I by far played more WitP than any other pacific game, it is the game.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 17
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/4/2008 1:15:51 PM   
Banquet

I think WitP is the seminal PC sim/game of the pacific conflict. I've struggled with it though. There is just so much to take in and do. If I plan a major offensive it's hard for me (being a bit impatient) to think that it won't actually happen for dozens of turns (and so maybe weeks of real time if playing a turn or 2 a day)

I'll certainly be buying AE when it comes out, although I realise that will add even more detail for my already struggling brain to take in.

I'm actually really looking forward to trying War Plan Pacific, which seems like the complete opposite of WitP. The ability to complete the campaign in an evening's sitting will be a nice change, although I'm sure I'll miss many of the details in WitP.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 18
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/4/2008 8:09:30 PM   
Veer

Uncommon Valor, easily.

Land combat leaves a lot to be desired, but then the Pacific is not about land combat is it!

Definitely worth a pick up before you commit to WITP.

In time of war the first casualty is truth. - Boake Carter

(in reply to buzard)
Post #: 19
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/4/2008 8:16:05 PM   
GJK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banquet

I'm actually really looking forward to trying War Plan Pacific, which seems like the complete opposite of WitP. The ability to complete the campaign in an evening's sitting will be a nice change, although I'm sure I'll miss many of the details in WitP.

Same here.

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 20
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/4/2008 8:23:51 PM   
bradfordkay

Buzard already has UV... WITP has many improvements to the UV system and while I occasionally pick up my old UV campaign, it's only a few turns before I start missing those improvements. It's worth the upgrade to WITP. 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 21
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/5/2008 5:47:25 AM   
buzard

Thanks again for the info.

While it appears that WitP is the best game I am still worried about several things.
It looks like about 70% of the problem post are for modded games. However there
does seem to be a lot of small but consistent problems. And as I commented if there is
a bug I hit it every time. Like the "bombers can only attack the top unit on a stack"
and if it's a construction unit you can't destroy it. TF's not going where they are supposed to,
load and unload problems.

So I ask;
Is WitP really that good or are you so used to the problems you automatically work around them,
just used to something going wrong (hey it's war stuff happens) to the point you don't even
think about them anymore?

UV got rave reviews from everyone and I was never able to complete a scenerio due to bugs!
So while I may seem overly concerned it is from experence.

buzard

Post #: 22
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/5/2008 9:54:12 AM   
killroyishere

I beleive WitP gets a lot of kudos because it is one of the few monster games on the market. I much prefer games I can play without pulling my hair out or that I can play more than 1 or 2 turns of it a day. I lose track of what I am doing when I come back to games like this. I would suggest Pacific games like Pacific General or HPS titles like Squad Battles Pacific War or Rising Sun Gold as some others mentioned. I would suggest a conglomeration of pacific war battle wargames over just one game of WitP. Being the best is subjective anyway as each person has their own choices what is the best. I'd much prefer to sit down and play the old dos version of Carrier Force vs WitP any day and Pacific General has many  scenarios from the Pacific War. Guadacanal is one of my favorites. Also, there is a mod for the origional Combat Mission game Overlord that brings the skins and combat values of the Japanese force into the game. Lots of choices all of them good ones.

(in reply to buzard)
Post #: 23
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/6/2008 7:39:00 AM   
buzard

What I'm going to do is reinstall UV with the latest update. My problems were back in 2003.
Hopefully after several patches in between then and now, thing might be better.

I'll wait and watch Witp for the AE addition and see what happens. Just out of curosity
AE is supposed to update several thing including AI. Will these additions be available
as an update for WitP (excluding new scenerios,units....etc, just the fixes only)?

Will there be a WitP/AE combo package with an all in one install or only as separate purchaces?

buzard

P.S. kilroyishere You made me remember I still have 2 Apple II's
around somewhere and a lot of Grigsby's games as well as the first
3 to 5 SSG games. Maybe I should do some exploring in the storage
shed?

< Message edited by buzard -- 12/6/2008 7:41:51 AM >

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 24
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/6/2008 8:19:47 AM   
2ndACR

The patch for WITP is on hold until AE is out. Everyone is working on AE's AI.

WITP is well worth every penny. As you have played UV, your learning curve is not quite as steep. You have alot of the basics already. Getting used to the new features and the scale is your hurdle.

There are a few issues, but they overall are not game stoppers. The only true game stopper is the pilot bug late war when there are too many pilots on the map. That one is a killer. But you can get years of game play before you slam into that little bugger.

I would grab WITP just so you can get used to the scale etc for when AE finally comes out. Plus it will be needed to play AE.

(in reply to buzard)
Post #: 25
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/6/2008 3:14:45 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2ndACR

The patch for WITP is on hold until AE is out. Everyone is working on AE's AI.

WITP is well worth every penny. As you have played UV, your learning curve is not quite as steep. You have alot of the basics already. Getting used to the new features and the scale is your hurdle.

I completely agree! I just purchased the game and was reluctant to pay the price as I had a debate months ago with Erik over the price of a 4 year old game. I have to admit I was 110% wrong, the game is worth the price maybe double the price and it could be argued that the 4 year old game is better now than when it was released due to patching, mods and artwork by the community.

I am very thrifty when it comes to gaming because of my financial situation dictates it but I will buy AE the hour it's released.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 26
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/7/2008 6:03:37 AM   
buzard

2ndACR and SuluSea; thanks for the appraisal. I have until Jan 7th to buy WitP on sale.
If all goes OK with UV most likely buy it.

buzard

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 27
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/7/2008 7:39:07 AM   
2ndACR

It will be worth every penny......promise.

I have played WITP since it was first released. It can be time consuming, but where I used to spend roughly 50.00 per month on games.........I have spent maybe 150.00 on games since WITP was released. Those are long removed from the hard drive, but WITP remains.

The WITP we have now is much better than released. Alot of bugs have been fixed. AE fixes even more of them plus alot of our wish list. There are multiple programs that help track alot of things. WITP Tracker is constantly being improved and is a great help. But, WITP also has a scenario that covers UV area. So really 2 in one there.

(in reply to buzard)
Post #: 28
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/7/2008 10:38:37 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Battlefront finished their Elicense "SC Pacific Theater.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 29
RE: Best Pacific game - 12/9/2008 10:38:50 AM   
Lützow

I just started War Plan Pacific demo, had a good laugh and deleted it from my hard disk after.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Best Pacific game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI