Matrix used game sale/trade policy and serials

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Canuck_jp

Matrix used game sale/trade policy and serials

Post by Canuck_jp »

So I went out and bought a Matrix game last year. Great game and I really enjoyed it. Not sure if it was quite worth $50 but it was still pretty good. Now I would like to trade my copy with someone else for another game (I bought the digital version). I was wondering what the Matrix policy is on this. Is it something that you would rather we not do (obviously from a business perspective) or is it something that is outright forbidden? I'm just wondering because I have all of my serial numbers registered and I don't see any options anywhere to "de-register" your serial number. I would hate to make a trade with this person only for her to find out that the serial had been blacklisted because she tried to register it again. Any thoughts? Let me just say that I can absolutely understand Matrix's potential position against trading/selling used games but we're in a recession right now so if I have the option between buying a game for $50 or trading for it with a game that I no longer play, I am 100% going to go the second route.
Erik Rutins

RE: Matrix used game sale/trade policy and serials

Post by Erik Rutins »

De-registering once you've registered is not possible, we just don't have the manpower to do that as a manual process anytime someone wants to sell or trade. Once you buy a game from us, it's yours to do with as you choose. The new owner won't be able to register it in the Members Club, but apart from that it'll be fine.

However, I think it's obvious the potential problems involved in transferring ownership of downloaded files. With all the above said, we would prefer if you think you are going to want to sell or trade a game in the future that you opt for purchasing the physical copy rather than the download.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
...we would prefer if you think you are going to want to sell or trade a game in the future that you opt for purchasing the physical copy rather than the download.

Erik, for my understanding, how is the physical copy different from the downloaded (beyond the obvious first delivery) since some patches and other related downloads are now and then released in the Members Section which you may not be able to log into as a buyer of a game on the second hand market?
NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

ORIGINAL: Widell
ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins
...we would prefer if you think you are going to want to sell or trade a game in the future that you opt for purchasing the physical copy rather than the download.

Erik, for my understanding, how is the physical copy different from the downloaded (beyond the obvious first delivery) since some patches and other related downloads are now and then released in the Members Section which you may not be able to log into as a buyer of a game on the second hand market?

It's exactly the same but you also get a printed manual (essential for me), a disk with the serial printed on it, and the dvd-style game box, of course.
Widell

Post by Widell »

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel
It's exactly the same but you also get a printed manual (essential for me), a disk with the serial printed on it, and the dvd-style game box, of course.
Well, that was included in my parenthesis: (beyond the obvious first delivery).

My question was regarding how you would get access to any downloads beyond the initial release if such download was only available through the Members Section.
Terl

Post by Terl »

ORIGINAL: Widell
ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel
Well, that was included in my parenthesis: (beyond the obvious first delivery).

My question was regarding how you would get access to any downloads beyond the initial release if such download was only available through the Members Section.

You can still get the game patches but you would not be able to access patches in the member's area, like the beta patches and anyting else in the member's area. That is what Erik was alludng to, the difficulties if the first owner registered the game, the new owner will not be able to register thegame. The new owner could get the released game patches but nothing in the member's area.

Return to “General Discussion”