Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/15/2008 5:51:35 AM   
Adam Parker

A few months back there was some excellent chatter here regarding this game. I'd had the base game for a couple of years and never opened it but last night did so and being a big C&C Ancients fan, now feel like giving it a go. (I'm still trying to learn 2by3's GG ACW by the way - hope I one day will but I digress ).

Anyway as prelude, talking about the fiasco of AGEOD and its release of the unfinished WW1 and of companies that bend over backwards to satisfy its customers, I was looking over the old M44 threads here and recalled Judge Dredd and Days of Wonder sending him more than enough M44 terrain tiles to make up for a few short packed. That's customer service! I'd add GMT and Lock and Load (Mark Walker) who offer this level of service too, no questions asked. Awesome stuff for the hobby.

So the point of all this is... I see that M44 has grown as a series since its release! I'd just like to get some opinions on what people feel are essential components to have for a "complete" and up to date system.

As well as the base game, I just today bought the East Front, Mediterranean Front and Terrain packs. I also got my hands on some of those Desert/Winter map boards! They're on the market again folks!!

I saw the Air pack and noticed that it has a re-written scenario book and reference cards but didn't buy? I also saw advertised (not on display in the shop) the Operation Overlord pack that supposedly has revised Command Cards?

Are these things essential given my goals? Basically, what consistutes an up to date rulebook now?

Thanks all,
Adam.
Post #: 1
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/15/2008 1:57:35 PM   
JudgeDredd

Hi Adam.

Still playing stock Memoir here. As I was informed when I bought it, it has it's limitations and I've noticed them, but I wouldn't say they're weaknesses.

As for what addons to buy, Operation Overlord (I thought) was for more than two players...being just too big for only two players? Air Pack sounded good.

I did buy the Eastern Front expansion and wasn't happy when I found out it didn't come with the winter board (although I understand their reasons for not including it now)....was less impressed that it wasn't actually available...I haven't played the Eastern Front pack since gatting it because the board just doesn't look right with green and snow tiles! So good news that it's out...I might get it now. Thx for the heads up

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 2
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/18/2008 12:51:36 PM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Hi Adam.

Still playing stock Memoir here. As I was informed when I bought it, it has it's limitations and I've noticed them, but I wouldn't say they're weaknesses.

Hey Judge, I think I'm on a real winner with this one. The plastic figures feel a little odd at first given what I see as a scale of platoon/battalion but they soon grow on you. I think they also look fine unpainted.

The rules are the best thing. Read them all and play within 15 minutes! The Motherlode!

The new Mediterranean expansion also I've noticed with glee, takes the "Battleback" rule from Commands and Colors Ancients and gives that capability to the British as a special trait. I love the fact that the system has already gone East Front too and something rare - to the Pacific.

I'm hoping the game doesn't turn out to be too generic but I've just found out that the Air Pack actually re-writes all the scenarios up to Med tweaking the historicity of many.

That's really what I'm after - the feeling that I'm in a military academy playing out a grand tactical situation where the rules offer the correct feel and the focus is on the thinking. Almost like Tactics 2 with historical settings.

(Look forward to your impressions of WoME btw - I read you just ordered it! I haven't played it since many incarnations of the Alpha and some early Betas.)

Cheers,
Adam.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/18/2008 5:11:49 PM   
Warfare1

Adam,

I would be pleased to find out how Memoir'44 (plus expansions) plays out as a solitaire game.

Your impressions would be welcome.

Post #: 4
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/18/2008 9:03:58 PM   
GJK

I must be missing something when I played M'44, I just was not impressed at all, even as a game; as it has zero historical background (IMHO). I own and played the base game with my kids and so maybe you have to have some of the expansions to add spice (which would be a shame).

On an related note, I did enjoy a game of Kriegbot with my kids over the weekend.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 5
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/18/2008 10:05:58 PM   
JudgeDredd

Well, I didn't want a historical board game. An easy, kid friendly board game was what I was looking for and that's exactly what I got.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 6
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/18/2008 11:47:44 PM   
Sarge

I started my son on M44 at the age of 8-9 and he loved it, he is now 12 , playing competitive rounds of Combat Commander and hooked on the Close Combat series.

He’s getting Wacht am Rhein for Xmas …………

I show him my ASL rule book ...........one week went by and he handed it back saying -

“the last thing I need is more homework”

M44 is great stuff especially for the young ones

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/19/2008 8:56:54 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: GJK

I must be missing something when I played M'44, I just was not impressed at all, even as a game; as it has zero historical background (IMHO). I own and played the base game with my kids and so maybe you have to have some of the expansions to add spice (which would be a shame).

Yes, this game is a funny one at first - ie: chock full of scenarios with lots of historical narrative and then throwing you onto a (really nice looking) mounted map board with plastic figures without giving the exact scale of each.

Commands and Colors Ancients imo gets away with this immediately because of its greater variety in unit types and the necessity to close to combat given the era. In M44 range plays a much greater role - inf and armor being able to fire 3 hexes, artillery 6. Of course the number of dice able to be thrown adjusts as the range changes but this still remains one of the greatest pieces of abstraction M44 asks the player to come to grips with. Range obviously simulates much more than the throwing of bullets, so I think satisfaction with the series depends on a player's interpretation of what M44's abstraction really is.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warfare1

I would be pleased to find out how Memoir'44 (plus expansions) plays out as a solitaire game.

This to me is the sheer beauty of the C&C system as a whole, for given the use of cards to determine what orders may be given to units and the breaking of the game board into orderable sections, these games are perfect for solitaire without any adjustments needed. Just play each side to the best of your ability, testing strategies as desired and many surprises will happen! I still lose often against myself in C&C:A! (M44 is graced with at least 2 good player-made solitaire rules variants that I've come across too).

C&C:A as I posted so many times is just glorious solitaire. M44 has a different card set, no leaders on map, ranged weaponry, a new air-ground system etc. I really need a lot more play under my belt to test its equivalent genius but Ican see something good shining through. Russians are bound by the need to pre-select orders under its Commisar rule, Japanese can almost teleport through cave systems, the British when nearly beaten as a unit can Battle back, elite infantry possesses greater maneuverability, elite armor gains greater endurance as indicated by an extra tank figurine, artillery can represent long range barrages and new to the series, planes can conduct varying ground missions whilst at the same time remaining highly vulnerable. There is quite a lot there it seems.

M44 is also trying to enter the historical module market with new larger paper maps complete with preset terrain and accompanying scenarios. If only these maps were mounted!

So for me right now, I'm viewing the game as a grand tactical WW2 laboratory depicting historically based conundrums! I think in this way, there is some good replayability and entertainment. Let you know more later.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 8
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/19/2008 6:49:39 PM   
SlickWilhelm

I bought M44 for my son last year for Christmas when he was 8 yrs old, and we actually played some games of it and found it enjoyable. My attempts to groom him into a wargaming buddy have yet to bear fruit, however. He tends to use the plastic game pieces in his own imaginary battles on the living room floor, "blowing them up" with a bouncy ball.  

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

Post #: 9
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/19/2008 7:43:31 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Warfare, I find the game handles well solitaire mode, since a lot of the actions depend on the cards one possess. Some cards are awkward to play in solo mode, ( ambush and such) as it relies on surprise. ( which is hard to achieve solo, unless you're schizo)
I would recommend the Pacific expansion pacs...PLenty of Banzai opportunities
Cheers
MC
quote:

Adam,

Your impressions would be welcome.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 10
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/19/2008 10:40:20 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

quote:

This to me is the sheer beauty of the C&C system as a whole, for given the use of cards to determine what orders may be given to units and the breaking of the game board into orderable sections, these games are perfect for solitaire without any adjustments needed. Just play each side to the best of your ability, testing strategies as desired and many surprises will happen! I still lose often against myself in C&C:A! (M44 is graced with at least 2 good player-made solitaire rules variants that I've come across too).

C&C:A as I posted so many times is just glorious solitaire. M44 has a different card set, no leaders on map, ranged weaponry, a new air-ground system etc. I really need a lot more play under my belt to test its equivalent genius but Ican see something good shining through. Russians are bound by the need to pre-select orders under its Commisar rule, Japanese can almost teleport through cave systems, the British when nearly beaten as a unit can Battle back, elite infantry possesses greater maneuverability, elite armor gains greater endurance as indicated by an extra tank figurine, artillery can represent long range barrages and new to the series, planes can conduct varying ground missions whilst at the same time remaining highly vulnerable. There is quite a lot there it seems.

M44 is also trying to enter the historical module market with new larger paper maps complete with preset terrain and accompanying scenarios. If only these maps were mounted!

So for me right now, I'm viewing the game as a grand tactical WW2 laboratory depicting historically based conundrums! I think in this way, there is some good replayability and entertainment. Let you know more later.

Thanks for your reply, Adam.

Your praise of the CC:A system as a solitaire game certainly has me ready to buy it.

As for M44, this also sounds like it would be good to play solitaire as well. Do you know where those player-made rules for solitaire play for M44 can be found?

Your further impressions of solitaire play for M44 would also be welcome. Also, any changes in some of the rules/cards, etc that you think would aid solitaire play would be good to know as well.

Post #: 11
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/19/2008 10:58:14 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: 105mm Howitzer

Warfare, I find the game handles well solitaire mode, since a lot of the actions depend on the cards one possess. Some cards are awkward to play in solo mode, ( ambush and such) as it relies on surprise. ( which is hard to achieve solo, unless you're schizo)
Cheers
MC

105mm Howitzer:

Thanks for your replay.

This game system sounds interesting: easy to learn, yet filled with strategy/luck of the draw, along with a nod toward military history.

In your opinion, could some of the cards/rules be altered to help in solitaire play?

Also, does it help to have most of the expansions (such as East Front, Pacific, Air rules) to facilitate solitaire play?

Finally, has anyone played the Battlelore game solitaire? As I understand it, this system is built on the same rules as Ancients and M44.

I think this entire game system (Ancients, M44, Battlelore) would be ideal to play on the computer/console.

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 12
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/19/2008 11:07:50 PM   
Adam Parker

quote:

Your praise of the CC:A system as a solitaire game certainly has me ready to buy it.

Just be ready for lots of stickering - its fun at first... . You may also want to look for a mounted map board, as GMT only provides a cardboard one in the base game. There are some options here:

1. Also buy the new C&C:A Expansion 2 or 3 as (owing to customer feedback) these now include beautifully mounted C&C:A boards.

2. Do what I did early on and buy Days of Wonder "Battlelore Epic Map" - same size, scale and direction and really beautiful too. I own 3 now! Richard Borg is the creator of both game systems.

As for M44 info there are 2 great forums:

Days of Wonder M44 Forum - http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/thread/?frm_id=35

Boardgame Geek M44 Forum - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/metasearch.php?searchtype=game&search=memoir+44

EDIT: That's Expansions 2 or 3 for the C&C:A mounted boards. Expansions 4 and 5 are in the works. You also don't need all expansions to play the game. Pick and choose as you like. I really like Expansion 1 Greece.

< Message edited by Adam Parker -- 11/20/2008 9:02:40 AM >

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 13
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/20/2008 7:57:30 AM   
GJK

FYI: gametableonline.com has "Battle Cry!" (ACW version of Memoir) - just played a quick game with a guy. The implementation is nicely done, this style of gameplay just isn't for me but it killed a quick 20 minutes.

< Message edited by GJK -- 12/30/2008 11:45:47 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/20/2008 8:30:58 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge
I show him my ASL rule book ...........one week went by and he handed it back saying -

“the last thing I need is more homework”

ROTFLMAO - You got yourself one smart kid there

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 15
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/21/2008 1:18:18 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Warfare, I've never tried modifying any of the rules or cards to suit solitaire play. HAving said that, I would think the project is feasable. Over at the Games of Wonder M44 chat site, ( a lot more cut-throat and irrespectful than this one, by the way) some of the regulars were debating the merit of implementing additional rules. ( some bandied about: AT units and how it would function, extra on-board artillery rules, ( mainly the setting up and target registry, which led to special OP parties, ) night action rules, etc...
My advice is to consult the entire deck, and any cards in which you feel does not complement solo play, modify it ( or even remove it) and give it a go...
Lastly, some have pretended that Tide of Iron suits better the solo player. I haven't tried it yet, so unfortunatley, no opinion on that.
Whatever the casae, M44 is still a very fun game to play. Really, a must have.
Cheers
MC
quote:

quote:

Cheers
MC

105mm Howitzer:

Thanks for your replay.

This game system sounds interesting: easy to learn, yet filled with strategy/luck of the draw, along with a nod toward military history.

In your opinion, could some of the cards/rules be altered to help in solitaire play?

Also, does it help to have most of the expansions (such as East Front, Pacific, Air rules) to facilitate solitaire play?

Finally, has anyone played the Battlelore game solitaire? As I understand it, this system is built on the same rules as Ancients and M44.

I think this entire game system (Ancients, M44, Battlelore) would be ideal to play on the computer/console.

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 16
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 11/21/2008 9:43:52 PM   
JudgeDredd

Just a quick thanks to Adam Parker for the heads up on the Winter/Desert board. Received it today and I can now play with my Eastern Front pack which I haven't done since I had it...almost 4 or 5 months now.

Nice one.

Post #: 17
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 12/30/2008 5:19:18 PM   
Warfare1

I just picked up Memoir 44 yesterday. The local hobby store was having a 25% off sale, so I grabbed the last copy they had.

This game plays solitaire very well - the cards determine your actions.

I implemented a simple solitaire rule: rather than dealing out 5 cards per side as per the rules (when playing solitaire you know what side A is holding when you are playing side B because you have seen all the cards), I draw only ONE card per side, and place them FACE down. I only know what the card is when I actually play that side. This produces a fog of war AND makes me develop a strategy without knowing what the other side is going to do.

Last night I played two games of Sword Beach. In one game the Germans won, in the other the Allies won.

Great fun.

Apparently, DoW is coming out with a Campaign book that will link up scenarios into various campaigns.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 18
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 1/1/2009 4:27:56 AM   
105mm Howitzer

Hum, 1 card each....That does negate the Command ability Allies have in most scenarios ( thus theoretically favoring the Germans), but what the heck, if it works, run with it.
Cheers
ps: I'll be giving it a try myself. In the meantime, a local developper here in Montreal came out with a boardgame called Stratagame. It plays a lot like chess does, but in solitaire mode. You get a glossy map of Europe ( albeit without frontiers) and North Africa, and the objective is to capture resource spaces. ( spaces are squares) You use dice and cards to determine outcome of moves and battles. If you happen to find a copy, I'd suggest it anytime. ( rules are straightforward and simple, too)

Post #: 19
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 1/1/2009 10:35:30 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

Hum, 1 card each....That does negate the Command ability Allies have in most scenarios ( thus theoretically favoring the Germans), but what the heck, if it works, run with it.
Cheers
ps: I'll be giving it a try myself. In the meantime, a local developper here in Montreal came out with a boardgame called Stratagame. It plays a lot like chess does, but in solitaire mode. You get a glossy map of Europe ( albeit without frontiers) and North Africa, and the objective is to capture resource spaces. ( spaces are squares) You use dice and cards to determine outcome of moves and battles. If you happen to find a copy, I'd suggest it anytime. ( rules are straightforward and simple, too)

quote:

Stratagame

Another method playing solitaire is to deal TWO cards face down for each side and then play the best card, discarding the other one.

This opens up the options but still creates that vital FoW. You will never know what the other side will be holding.

And thanks for that game suggestion

Post #: 20
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 1/1/2009 10:50:48 PM   
Warfare1

For Memoir 44:

One inexpensive way to reduce the clutter on the game board is to replace many of the units with large inexpensive metal washers. Place one tank unit on top of two large washers; place one infantry unit on top of three washers.

If the unit takes a hit, simply remove a washer. This simplifies setup time and frees up a lot of the military units in case you have other boards set up.

Also, I'm looking for some good German half-tracks to represent the panzergrenadiers. Check these out:

http://www.toysoldiers.ca/c378005394.2.html

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 21
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 1/2/2009 3:43:19 AM   
105mm Howitzer

Kind of reminds me of my Micro Armor series miniatures I have, but they were 1:160 scale, if memory serves right. I used a similar system when playing Axis and Allies, instead I substituted washers with poker chips, with colors denoting size. ( whites were singles, blue represented 10's) Sorry about Stratagame, but additional info is hard to come by.
Cheers
Mc

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 22
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 1/27/2009 3:55:50 PM   
Warfare1

Here is a list of variants to play Memoir 44 solo. These have been culled from a variety of sources. Personally, I prefer using Variants #3 and #4. But try them out and see which appeals to you.

Many of these solo variants can also be used for other C&C games.

Have fun!

M’44 Solitaire Variant #1

· Remove ambush and counter attack cards.

· Deal number of cards to yourself as dictated by the scenario.

· When it is the opponent’s turn (dummy player) they will activate one unit per section with one bonus unit in any section (or 2 bonus units with Marine Corps rules Pacific Exp).

· To determine unit activation roll 1 die per section. If an armored or infantry unit comes up, issue an order to that type that is closest to your forces. If a die roll comes up for a figure that your dummy opponent does not have in that section, activate whichever unit would attack with the most dice (all rolls will result in activation stars and retreats included).

· For the bonus unit/units roll 1-2 die (2 with Marine Rules), if you roll an armored or infantry unit use the same activation rules as above, if you don’t have an armored or infantry unit left simply activate the unit that would result in the most die being rolled. For the bonus activation, stars and retreats result in no unit activation, whereas a grenade results in your dummy opponent again activating the unit that would roll the most dice.

· The above rules do not exempt your dummy opponent from the one order per unit rule.

Dummy opponent turn sequence

1. Roll one die for each section and issue an order to those units.
2. Roll one die for the bonus unit and issue an order (if the die roll activates one).
3. Move the dummy units.
4. Resolve attacks with dummy units.

M’44 Solitaire Variant #2

I suppose that one way you could add some "oomph" to a solo style of play would be to draw three cards for the "enemy" side each turn, play the best card and chuck the remaining two cards.

M’44 Solitaire Variant #3

Here's how I've done it solo in many Battle Cry games and a few M44 games:

"Opponent" gets 6 cards face down in a line. You get four cards face up in a line.

When it is your turn, roll a D6. On a 1, play the first card, on 2&3 play the second card, on 4&5 play the third card and on 6 play the last card. So that you have some command ability, you may place the cards in any order beofre you roll the dice, placing your "best" cards in the 2 and 3 slots. If the dice do not give you a good card you may discard and draw another at the cost of a turn.

For the "opponent" roll 2d6 (or 1d6x2). Turn over the cards in the slots that correspond to the numbers on the dice. If they are the same number, too bad, only one card. Play either one of the overturned cards. The remaining overturned card can be discarded with no penalty or turned over again for a later roll. The order of the cards for the "opponent" is not changed.

This system seems to work well as it gives you some control over your cards with the "opponent's" ability to freely discard "bad" cards giving the game some balance. All ofther rules of the game stay the same.

M’44 Solitaire Variant #4

Here's what I do when playing Memoir 44 solo:

1) Deal out only two cards per side face down. Then for side A select the best card to play and discard the other one. Do the same for Side B.

2) Ambush card - either remove it from the deck OR use it as a "Wild" card, meaning the side that draws it may move/fire one unit of his choice regardless of the "zone" it is in.

3) Counter-Attack cards - Because you're only drawing two cards for each side, you will never know which side has the counterattack card until you play the side that has it. A nice FoW.

4) My house rule for armour - All tanks can move two hexes and fire OR move three hexes and NOT fire. Medium tanks fire three hexes away (3,3,2). Elite tanks (Panthers, etc) also fire three hexes away (3,3,3). A subtle change, but I find it works nicely and alters one's strategy. I think this relates to real armour tactics. The heavy/elite tanks could fire further, with more firepower. The medium tanks did not have the range and accuracy as the heavy tanks. Also, in WWII tanks could not fire on the move; they had to stop before they could site the target and fire. Thus, in this variant ALL tanks can only move two hexes, then stop and fire. Otherwise, they can move three hexes and NOT fire.

M’44 Solitaire Variant #5

Some scenarios are unbalanced (they are weighted towards victory for one side). In this case play the side that is at a disadvantage. Give yourself all the cards as stated in the scenario, but give your "opponent" only two cards: play one, while discarding the other.

M’44 Solitaire Variant #6

If you find some scenarios easy to beat, then do this:

* use one of the variants listed above; then

* add one infantry and one tank force to the "opponent's side" at random this way: roll one die for each of the infantry and armour units: roll 1-2 (place the unit on left flank), roll 3-4 (place the unit in middle), roll 5-6 (place the unit on right flank). Do this separately for both units. Place them at the bottom of the board (furthest from your units). You can keep doing this until you reach your difficulty level.

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 1/27/2009 8:06:37 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 1/27/2009 5:14:14 PM   
JudgeDredd

I find the Arnhem Bridge very difficult as Germans....neither myself or my daughter have won as the Germans. You simply can't get your armour over, and when they are, they are useless because all hexes they can get to are next to towns...and a town is -2 for armour!

Also the allies have 2 artillery and BOTH are pretty well protected by infantry in towns around them.

I guess one way is to use your tanks and artillery from long ranges to batter the units either side of the bridge...long battle and only as long as you have middle section command cards

So I might try your variant 5 with the Arnhem Bridge scenario...

(in reply to Warfare1)
Post #: 24
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 1/27/2009 7:16:47 PM   
leastonh1

Thanks for sharing those variants Warfare1

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 25
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 1/27/2009 8:12:44 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I find the Arnhem Bridge very difficult as Germans....neither myself or my daughter have won as the Germans. You simply can't get your armour over, and when they are, they are useless because all hexes they can get to are next to towns...and a town is -2 for armour!

Also the allies have 2 artillery and BOTH are pretty well protected by infantry in towns around them.

I guess one way is to use your tanks and artillery from long ranges to batter the units either side of the bridge...long battle and only as long as you have middle section command cards

So I might try your variant 5 with the Arnhem Bridge scenario...

Good luck :)

If you still have trouble, try giving the opponent only ONE card. This could simulate command paralysis/inflexibility.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 26
RE: Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? - 1/27/2009 8:24:47 PM   
Warfare1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim_H

Thanks for sharing those variants Warfare1

My pleasure.

As an additional note for those who find the M44 board gets cluttered with all those units, here is a solution that I use and it works nicely:

Further up this thread I mentioned using washers to substitute for units (ie place one infantry unit on three washers to signify four units. When you receive a hit, remove a washer).

However, I have found an even better system: use coloured poker chips. I was in a dollar store a few weeks ago, and I spotted very inexpensive, interlocking poker chips for sale. Seventy poker chips cost $1.00. So I bought a few bags of chips.

They came in three colours: white, dark blue and red/wine.

So I use white for the USA (white battle star), dark blue for the Germans (they matched perfectly), and of course red for the Soviets (what a coincidence).

This removed all the clutter, and after a couple games, the chips seem like they were made for the game. Plus, all the units stand out now, so I never forget to move units when I should.

So to reiterate: place one infantry on top of three poker chips; one tank on two poker chips; one arty on one poker chip. Remove the chips as the units receive hits.

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Memoir 44 Revisited - What to Buy? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI