Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Vista Dead?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Vista Dead? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/15/2008 7:26:32 PM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

Upgrading an OS doesn't bother me as much as all the games that will no longer work on the new OS. Even dosbox can't salvage everything like Industry Giant II and High Heat Baseball 2000. Then as some have said there are sound issues if you use onboard sound or older sound cards like Soundblaster 5.1 Live or even an Audigy 24 card. Now some games I can give up, but, not my Combat mission series nor Steel Panthers and I've read that Vista plays hell with one if not all of the Combat Mission series. All I see the new OS doing is making it so more graphics power can be put into games so they can go beyond remakes of the games like Call of Duty and Half Life and Doom and the rest of those that have been made over to death for years already. So, we'll begin to see Doom VI & VII and Halflife 45 and Call of Duty infinity etc. It was years before I finally moved from Win98 because there were just so many dos games that wouldn't work on XP and when dosbox finally appeared then I didn't have a problem moving to XP. But, now with Vista we are going to have Win95 and Win98 and even XP games that just aren't going to work with it and who knows what Windows 7 is going to do to past games working. To me a new OS so soon after XP is like a 25" tv coming out after 24" ones have been distributed all over the world. It's just rediculous to really buy the 25" when 24" works just fine and 25" isn't that much of an improvement to warrant spending so much money on it.

I have had no problems using Dos and W9x games in vista.

You may need to set some things up in the properties, theres compatiability modes..

For some games, the problem is NOT in the OS but in the Hardware, for instance , original Railroads tycoon will run on a XP pc but the XP Pc has such fast processor vetc that it runs at a manic speed...unless use a prg to SLOW down the game

So for a number of games its the hardware, especially processor changes... but also possiable RAM changes.

If the Game can handle the hardware then if a problem running with the OS one can tinker in properties, some games require a specific graphics mode for instance.

I Run easy on vista Birth of the Federation ... a Old W95/98 game, also Civ II is fine, as also some games, a few are problems one because of the mouse driver
it runs but the mouse doesn't work right, it needs a Dos mouse and driver presumly...

What one should do if get a New PC is keep old, you can refurbish it,
keep XP on it or install Win98 (with Win9x I'd not through use the PC on
internet, too vulnerable.. but for use for games unconnected...)

So before blame OS for problems look at hardware... it can be wireless mouses use different drivers then a game expects same with some keyboards..

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 91
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/15/2008 7:48:20 PM   
Cmdrcain

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadberz

I agree that Vista is crap on old computers, but it works great on new computers. IMO it was/is priced way to high.

Agree on price, even XP is pricier, The w98 full was $100, Upgrade $50
XP pushed it to $200/100

Now I can expect theres costs and all and such but doubling the prices each OS is WHY microsoft has pirates.

Microsofts Pricing FEEDS piracy.

It also causes resistance in upgrading, if Next OS is like $500 upgrade $1000 Full
I hardly think any normal joe will buy it.

If Microsoft still had XP and Vista at $100/$50 they would have far less resistance in upgrading and more units of the OS sold and less moving to other OS like
Linux or for non-gamers... Mac's...

Even a Nominal increase like to 125/75 would been more bearable

But $200 for full or $100 for Upgrade to XP and even more
for Vista upgrade is why less buy Vista and why their OS is pirated in my view.

Noise? What Noise? It's sooooo quiet and Peaceful!

Battlestar Pegasus

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 92
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/16/2008 1:01:34 AM   
Perturabo

Actually, it's the other way around - Microsoft is popular because of the piracy. If there wasn't piracy it wouldn't have so much advantage in numbers over Linux, which would mean that there would be more games for Linux. Which would mean that there wouldn't be any reason to use Microsoft's system.
Computers with pre-installed Linux appeared in stores only after police started seriously fighting the piracy of Microsoft systems (Because now when Micro$oft dominates the market, piracy is no longer useful for them.).

Anyway, I won't buy any Microsoft's system. Not after I had to actually phone to them to activate Windows XP on my mother's computer and after I had to deal with installation procedures for OEM version which looked like they were made by someone clinically insane.

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 11/16/2008 1:09:21 AM >

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Cmdrcain)
Post #: 93
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Vista Dead? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI