Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vista Dead?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Vista Dead? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vista Dead? - 11/10/2008 9:12:42 PM   
JamesM

It seems that Microsoft is fast tracking the next version of windows. They are already showing beats to software developers.

I am glad that i never brought this OS, I will just wait for the next version of windows.
Post #: 1
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/10/2008 9:16:16 PM   
Terminus

Same here. Vista will shortly be consigned to the scrapheap of history, where it so richly belongs.

It can meet up with Windows ME and have a "so you failed too?" party...

< Message edited by Terminus -- 11/11/2008 7:23:19 AM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 2
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/10/2008 10:07:08 PM   
wworld7

My new system with Vista has been fine. Like many people I have run into some problems but nothing I haven't been able to figure out.

As for the next version of Windows?

I could be dead by 2010/2011!

Anyway, anyone expecting it in 2009 better be ready to be disappointed.

Long live DOS!!!

Flipper

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 3
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/10/2008 10:18:57 PM   
JudgeDredd

Vista is a piece of crap. Without actually doing anything on my system, it grabs no less than 900MB (or there abouts) of my 2GB.

Unfortunately some people (myself included) had no option when I bought my laptop and it's infected with it. Thx Microsoft for making my laptop as useful as a Betamax video player!

Once bitten....

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 4
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/10/2008 10:50:09 PM   
NefariousKoel

Vista SP1 has been working just fine for me.  Other than downloading a small dll file for old games I've installed, turning superfetch and UAC off, I've not been bothered much.

Actually, the Nvidia drivers for Vista are the only ones that let me keep the original game's aspect ratio instead of stretching them on my widescreen.  The XP drivers do not.  Not to mention I actually resized the Vista partition and made a new one for that XP inside Vista which was a damn nice addition.  It's definitely more stable, too.

I have XP installed on a separate partition just in case, but I've not used it in the past year.  I'll probably wipe that partition and put Ubuntu on it before long.

If you expect some new, rushed, MS operating system to be the cat's meow then prepare to be disappointed.  If the new one shows up in less than 3 years, then plan on another ME fiasco with it as that one was quite rushed too.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/10/2008 10:53:52 PM   
Gem35

Vista has been out long enough now to have most if not all the bugs ironed out.
If you can't get it working properly either your PC is not stable or you are doing something wrong.
You also should not run it without at least 4 GB of RAM unless you are using basic or something.
Stop with the "it sux" and "it's crap" already.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 6
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/10/2008 10:56:57 PM   
uncc

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Vista is a piece of crap. Without actually doing anything on my system, it grabs no less than 900MB (or there abouts) of my 2GB.

Unfortunately some people (myself included) had no option when I bought my laptop and it's infected with it. Thx Microsoft for making my laptop as useful as a Betamax video player!

Once bitten....

what makes you think "Windows 7" will grab less memory? Seems each new OS from MS requires even more memory than its predecessor to function. Better go buy some more memory!

< Message edited by uncc -- 11/10/2008 10:59:04 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 12:45:40 AM   
wworld7

In doing some checking before purchased my system it looked like getting 4 GIGs was better than 2. At least for my future needs. I agree Windows 7 (or what ever the final name is) will likely use more of it.

My first business PC had 1 meg. And I was lucky as some co-workers had to make do with 512K...LOL. Ah life in the 80's...

Flipper

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 1:35:05 AM   
SlickWilhelm

Hate to tell you guys, but Windows 7 is based on Vista. To be honest, Vista sp1 has given me no headaches, but it does require 4GB of RAM to work at the same performance level that XP does with 2GB. 

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 9
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 1:37:28 AM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

Hate to tell you guys, but Windows 7 is based on Vista. To be honest, Vista sp1 has given me no headaches, but it does require 4GB of RAM to work at the same performance level that XP does with 2GB. 

I used to be a Vista basher but that was early and based on ignorance mostly.
Vista is a sound OS, just do your homework and keep an open mind.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 10
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 1:40:13 AM   
Challerain

Have to agree, no issues with Vista here at all.

And if I remember correctly, didn't it take until XP SP2 until XP became a stable OS?

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 11
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 1:41:18 AM   
Nikademus

I just got Vista on my newest machine. My opinion of it has softened a bit too now that i've turned off all the hand-holding features that cause a ceaseless number of annoying popup messages to appear whenever you do something. Now it feels alot like XP.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 12
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 1:50:19 AM   
sabre1

I have had no issues with Vista.  I use the 64 bit, with 8 GB of ram.  I actually have grown to like the way it works and looks.

Now MS Word 2007, that's a whole different issue..., and to be truthful, I'm just lazy when it comes to learning new programs.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 13
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 1:57:53 AM   
Greybriar

Sadly, the maximum amount of RAM my motherboard will support is 2GB. But it doesn't seem to cause any problems running games under Vista.

All in all, I am much more comfortable running Vista (I have Home Premium) than I was when I purchased this PC in August of 2007. To tell you the truth, I think I have less trouble running games under Vista than I did under XP.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 14
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 2:02:47 AM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

To tell you the truth, I think I have less trouble running games under Vista than I did under XP.

Yep, when some shiny new game with a crash bug decides to CTD or black screen in Vista, it recovers quite well and quickly too, as opposed to XP. Though it's not invincible, I've noticed an improvement there.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 15
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 2:23:40 AM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar

Sadly, the maximum amount of RAM my motherboard will support is 2GB. But it doesn't seem to cause any problems running games under Vista.

All in all, I am much more comfortable running Vista (I have Home Premium) than I was when I purchased this PC in August of 2007. To tell you the truth, I think I have less trouble running games under Vista than I did under XP.

One thing you can do to try and help your PC run a little better is disable that fancy desktop.
It will eat about 800-900MB of your RAM.
If as you say you are enjoying Vista then by all means, if it isn't broke disregard my tip.
If it isnt broke don't fix it.

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 16
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 2:59:33 AM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

One thing you can do to try and help your PC run a little better is disable that fancy desktop.

I *think* I already did. I know I set the view to "Classic" in the Control Panel. It's been over a year, and I don't recall just what I have done since I purchased this computer.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 17
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 3:37:35 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

Vista is the world's first environmentally unsound OS. It's a power hog, requiring so much system memory and a GPU running the whole time that you're in Windows. It's also a total dog without at least a dual-core CPU. Phooey!

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 18
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 3:43:12 AM   
jwilkerson

Yup the Vista memory requirements are the key issue for corporations. My company has about 4500 laptop/desktops, but average memory is between 256M and 512M so contemplating a "Vista Rollout" is pretty much impossible. It would cost millions for memory upgrades and/or new machines, and in this economy we can't even consider it. So we are definitely in the "waiting for the next version" group.

AE Project Lead

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 19
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 5:48:48 AM   
Twotribes

quote:

If you can't get it working properly either your PC is not stable or you are doing something wrong.
You also should not run it without at least 4 GB of RAM unless you are using basic or something.

4 GIG? That is insane.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 20
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 7:39:50 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

Disagree - Vista still throws sound problems with audio hardware.

My Biggest issues with Vista besides sound:

1. Requires Nero 8 which is bugged compared to Xp's Nero 7.
2. Requires Paintshop Pro X2 which is bugged compared to XP's Paintshop Pro 8.
3. Requires Adobe CS 3 costing thousands - why buy when CS 1 still works fine?

That said and it's well documented here how I finally had Vista replaced with XP Pro on my then brand new Desktop, well, I've been left with an unused copy of Vista Ultimate.

So my wife's 2 y/o laptop was due for a RAM upgrade from 1 Gb to 2 Gb. I had my vendor install my Vista disc (and sound problems again - resolved) it works a treat.

2Gb RAM and integrated graphics runs Vista fine - no see-through Windows etc.

Which allows access to the only things Vista was good for IMO:

1. Mahjong Titans.
2. Hold 'em Poker.
3. Sidebar Gadgets.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 21
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 9:39:09 AM   
Banquet

I was dreading having Vista after all the bad things I'd heard about it but, to be honest, it's been fine. I did have to turn UAC and some other stuff off, but after that I've had no probs.

I keep meaning to upgrade to 4 gig RAM but currently only have 2 gig.. and with that I can run Flight Sim X, Silent Hunter 4, Fallout 3, etc etc without any problems at all.

I imagine the same system with XP on would probably run stuff marginally faster but on the other hand I find Vista boots quicker and has less errors and freezes than XP and, for what it's worth, looks nicer, so overall I have no complaints :)

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 22
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 10:48:30 AM   
Krasny

There was no need for Vista.

Microsoft were abusing the monopolistic position to gouge cash out of us all.

It is outrageous that they force their new OS on to all new computers.

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 23
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 11:16:52 AM   
killroyishere

Upgrading an OS doesn't bother me as much as all the games that will no longer work on the new OS. Even dosbox can't salvage everything like Industry Giant II and High Heat Baseball 2000. Then as some have said there are sound issues if you use onboard sound or older sound cards like Soundblaster 5.1 Live or even an Audigy 24 card. Now some games I can give up, but, not my Combat mission series nor Steel Panthers and I've read that Vista plays hell with one if not all of the Combat Mission series. All I see the new OS doing is making it so more graphics power can be put into games so they can go beyond remakes of the games like Call of Duty and Half Life and Doom and the rest of those that have been made over to death for years already. So, we'll begin to see Doom VI & VII and Halflife 45 and Call of Duty infinity etc. It was years before I finally moved from Win98 because there were just so many dos games that wouldn't work on XP and when dosbox finally appeared then I didn't have a problem moving to XP. But, now with Vista we are going to have Win95 and Win98 and even XP games that just aren't going to work with it and who knows what Windows 7 is going to do to past games working. To me a new OS so soon after XP is like a 25" tv coming out after 24" ones have been distributed all over the world. It's just rediculous to really buy the 25" when 24" works just fine and 25" isn't that much of an improvement to warrant spending so much money on it.

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 24
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 11:46:54 AM   
Grell

I wish Vista was dead, I really dislike it.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 25
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 12:13:08 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncc

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Once bitten....

what makes you think "Windows 7" will grab less memory? Seems each new OS from MS requires even more memory than its predecessor to function. Better go buy some more memory!

That's right...that's what I said

Read my post. I said nothing about Windows 7. I was talking about Vista as well you know.

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 26
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 12:16:36 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

An OS that requires 4GB of memory to run effectively is ridiculous coding. They can optimise it, they just don't want to. Too busy on their next latest and greatest.

It's about time Microsoft started to optimise their systems rather than just churning out massively overweight software.

If I was to create a program that ate 4GB of memory, I'd be shot...and out of a job.

I happen to actually like it's look and feel. Unfortunately, it runs like Apollo 13 with a mini-metro engine stuck in the back of it!

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 27
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 12:20:57 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grell

I wish Vista was dead, I really dislike it.

Regards,

Grell

Vista is dead...and praise be the lord.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 28
RE: Vista Dead? - 11/11/2008 2:11:28 PM   
MacDuff

Many of my friends are going over to Linux, as well as downloading the free (yes free) office suite from OpenOffice.org (from Open Source which, I believe, was started by Steve Jobs). These are guys who have a serious dislike for MS anything. I use openoffice and its much more stable than MS Word. Also, the data is transferable.

Anyway, I also have Vista because I didn't have a choice when purchasing a new computer. It's graphics absolutely sucked, I had to purchase a a separate video graphics card to run my games.

Windows 7? That's laughable. It will be the same screwed up mess that Vista is. MS is so incompetant. They won't let their programers do their job, they keep saddling them with crap they insist needs to go into the OS.

I have a MS system only because that's they system most wargames are designed for. If had my d'others I'd buy a Mac.

Rick

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Vista Dead? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI