Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 12:36:17 AM   
Adam Parker

From a wargame company:

quote:

The “Tough Economy” Special Offer: Many in the gaming community turn to games as a welcome respite from their day jobs, using money from those day jobs to buy the games.

In these difficult times, some of our loyal customers have lost their day jobs. No jobs and no cash to buy games is a morale buster.

Now, we can’t help in the new job department, but one thing we can do is at least let you continue to enjoy the games while you are hunting. So.....If you have lost your job of late and remain unemployed, if you will provide verification of such status to Tony or the office folks by mail or phone or e-mail, we will send you TWO FREE GAMES (in stock or P500 due out by year’s end) of your choice.

Play them, Enjoy them, and know that we will keep this information private and wish you only the best for a quick recovery.

Post #: 1
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 12:53:45 AM   
Erik Rutins

Yep, that was GMT Games, if I'm not mistaken. An extremely generous offer, I hope the community rewards them for it.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 2
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 1:01:12 AM   
JudgeDredd

Wow...fantastic.

However, the sceptic in me thinks there are many people who will take advantage of this for their own gains...

Of course...whatever the company (GMT?)...that is not their concern...they've done a very decent thing...be it on the heads of people who abuse it, and may karma reward them.

Sorry...I've just grown to be an old sceptic over the years. I had my time of thinking all was good and good will win...

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 1:34:10 AM   
Greybriar

I concur with JudgeDredd.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 1:59:06 AM   
sabre1

GMT: WOW, that is quite the gesture.  I am going to have to see if there is a game I can buy.  No one to play with, but it will offset some of their loss in profits for those who take advantage of such a generous offer. 

JD, I think like you do, but obviously there are nice people in the world, eg. GMT.

BTW JD should have your turn out by the end of this weekend.  

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 5
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 2:30:53 AM   
simovitch

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Wow...fantastic.

However, the sceptic in me thinks there are many people who will take advantage of this for their own gains...

Of course...whatever the company (GMT?)...that is not their concern...they've done a very decent thing...be it on the heads of people who abuse it, and may karma reward them.

Sorry...I've just grown to be an old sceptic over the years. I had my time of thinking all was good and good will win...

GMT's customer service is based on total trust in their customer base. For instance if you never got your game in the mail, they will usually send you a completely new game, no questions asked. The theory is that we (wargamers) are not of that sort who would take advantage of the system, so let's keep the faith.

simovitch

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 6
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 2:42:09 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

quote:

Wow...fantastic.

GMT's customer service is based on total trust in their customer base. For instance if you never got your game in the mail, they will usually send you a completely new game, no questions asked. The theory is that we (wargamers) are not of that sort who would take advantage of the system, so let's keep the faith.

How refreshing to be treated as a valued customer.

This of course, is not directed at Matrix, who I consider a very, very good provider ot good, solid games. There are companies out there (DCS - makers of Black Shark Simulation) who think preventing pirates for a couple of days is enough to chase away over half their potential purchasers (their own poll, as far as I know)...but certainly one they listened to and viewed and completely disregarded in terms of results.

To Matrix, and GMT,I say thank you for trusting me...I know it "may" cost you...but I thank you for the trust you show in me.

(in reply to simovitch)
Post #: 7
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 3:06:15 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: simovitch

quote:

Wow...fantastic.

How refreshing to be treated as a valued customer.

This of course, is not directed at Matrix, who I consider a very, very good provider ot good, solid games. There are companies out there (DCS - makers of Black Shark Simulation) who think preventing pirates for a couple of days is enough to chase away over half their potential purchasers (their own poll, as far as I know)...but certainly one they listened to and viewed and completely disregarded in terms of results.

To Matrix, and GMT,I say thank you for trusting me...I know it "may" cost you...but I thank you for the trust you show in me.

Or think of Star Force! Companies so determined to prevent piracy that they will run the risk of wrecking computers of the decent people in order to get at the pirates.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 3:44:13 AM   
GJK

What kind of proof do they want to show unemployment? Welfare checks, unemployment benefits checks?

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 9
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 10:35:20 AM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

From a wargame company:

quote:

The “Tough Economy” Special Offer: Many in the gaming community turn to games as a welcome respite from their day jobs, using money from those day jobs to buy the games.

In these difficult times, some of our loyal customers have lost their day jobs. No jobs and no cash to buy games is a morale buster.

Now, we can’t help in the new job department, but one thing we can do is at least let you continue to enjoy the games while you are hunting. So.....If you have lost your job of late and remain unemployed, if you will provide verification of such status to Tony or the office folks by mail or phone or e-mail, we will send you TWO FREE GAMES (in stock or P500 due out by year’s end) of your choice.

Play them, Enjoy them, and know that we will keep this information private and wish you only the best for a quick recovery.

Adam,

Do you have a link?

Goblin

Post #: 10
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 10:53:52 AM   
Adam Parker

I'm sure it's ok as they don't make PC games:

www.gmtgames.com

Been a big player in the board wargaming industry since 1990.

My game purchases have predominately been theirs this past couple of years due to a dearth of good PC gaming but in respect of the hosts here, I am currently nose-deep in 2by3's "War Between the States" Civil War rules book

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 11
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 10:58:29 AM   
Goblin

I found their website, but could not find the message you posted. I would like to put the link up at the Depot, since the offer deserves recognition, IMO.

Goblin

Post #: 12
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 11:12:15 AM   
Adam Parker

Hi Goblin,

On the left there is a 2 part "InsideGMT Fall" flyer.

I think it's in part 2 towards the end.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 13
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 12:00:19 PM   
Goblin

Thanks Adam!

Goblin

Post #: 14
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 2:46:08 PM   
Phatguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

GMT: WOW, that is quite the gesture.  I am going to have to see if there is a game I can buy.  No one to play with, but it will offset some of their loss in profits for those who take advantage of such a generous offer. 

JD, I think like you do, but obviously there are nice people in the world, eg. GMT.

BTW JD should have your turn out by the end of this weekend.  

Yeah, It is a superb gesture on GMT's part, and one I am sorta taking advantage of(not in a bad way). They said ok to my quad bypass as semi-similar to someone losing thier job for an extended time. That said, Monday I am putting an order in for two extra games from them. Companies like that need to be supported to the max.Same with Matrix. They have 4 in the pipeline I want.Hopefully not all 4 get released within a short time of each other.That I wont be able to do....

< Message edited by apathetic lurker -- 10/25/2008 2:54:32 PM >

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 15
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 6:19:34 PM   
Brigz

The GMT offer doesn't surprise me. They are probably the best wargame company in existence today. They really do cater to their customer base. I've been buying all their Command & Colors: Ancients games. In one of the games I was missing one wooden block. I emailed them and they sent, in just a few days, not just the replacement block but two extra blocks. A small thing, but it just showed how they will go the extra step for their customers. Recently they announced the next two expansions for CC:A and what would be the contents of those products. After several suggestions and complaints on the Consimworld forum, they agreed to the customers suggestions and changed the contents and lowered the asking price of one of those expansion games. They really do care about the gamers and what we want. An excellent company.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

Post #: 16
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 6:30:07 PM   
Greybriar

It is indeed refreshing in this day of corporate and individual greed and selfishness to see a company make such a caring and considerate offer. I once knew a man who told me, "What this country needs is a good depression." Perhaps the economic situation today is close enough to that "good depression" he spoke of to pull us together.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 17
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/25/2008 6:43:13 PM   
Phatguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

The GMT offer doesn't surprise me. They are probably the best wargame company in existence today. They really do cater to their customer base. I've been buying all their Command & Colors: Ancients games. In one of the games I was missing one wooden block. I emailed them and they sent, in just a few days, not just the replacement block but two extra blocks. A small thing, but it just showed how they will go the extra step for their customers. Recently they announced the next two expansions for CC:A and what would be the contents of those products. After several suggestions and complaints on the Consimworld forum, they agreed to the customers suggestions and changed the contents and lowered the asking price of one of those expansion games. They really do care about the gamers and what we want. An excellent company.

I remember years ago getting one of thier Barbarossa games. It was missing one map and had a double of another. They had no problem sending me the right map.No questions asked. Not like many companies making you jump thru hoops just to get something minor fixed.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 18
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/26/2008 1:01:27 AM   
MarkShot

A very fine gesture.

As a partner/Business Advisor to a small game developer, we've made some (beyond simply doing business) gestures over the years. They are largely known only to us.

We did discuss the holiday season of 2008 and doing something that more involved the customer base in the spirit of charity. There were two views expressed in the conversation. View1 - Yes, it is good do whatever we can as individuals or a business to send some human warmth to others. View2 - No, if we do something public that involves our customers, then it will be perceived as a "publicity/sales stunt".

Ideally, a small business (different from large corporates) is just a collection of the egos/souls of but a small handful. So, doing something as a business besides just selling product shouldn't be that bizarre. But then we live in a society where large corporations dominate our World and they are truly soul-less entities.

My question: Can a small business (in this case a game developer/publisher) do something humanitarian in conjuction with their customers and have it be well received or are modern consumers just too cynical of the motives of a business?

{Since Panther Games/Matrix Games is in my sig here ... just to be clear ... this is not about either of those two entities ... of course, both are made up of the finest people I know.}

< Message edited by MarkShot -- 10/26/2008 1:05:15 AM >

Never more! (I've had enough. Sliterine has raised mediocrity to an art form!)

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 19
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/26/2008 1:22:40 AM   
mikul82

That really makes me happy to hear, especially in a society such as this which generally seems devoid of compassion.  I don't even play board wargames, but would like to buy one of theirs when my own financial situation improves just to support such a gesture. 

Maybe I could get my girlfriend to play it with me...  On second thought, I'd probably have better luck getting the cat to play instead. 

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 20
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/26/2008 2:09:07 AM   
Brigz

In all this discussion I certainly don't want to forget Matrix games. Even though I'm predominantly a board wargamer I do have and play many computer games. I've bought several from Matrix and have always recieved excellent service from them. Every purchase and download has been perfect and all my correspondances have been answered. In the world of computer games they rank at the top of my list of consumer friendly companies. And I'll throw in a nod to HPS also.

Matrix, HPS, and GMT are all top notch companies that adhere to a higher standard and deserve our praise.

Post #: 21
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/26/2008 12:24:01 PM   
Phatguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

A very fine gesture.

As a partner/Business Advisor to a small game developer, we've made some (beyond simply doing business) gestures over the years. They are largely known only to us.

We did discuss the holiday season of 2008 and doing something that more involved the customer base in the spirit of charity. There were two views expressed in the conversation. View1 - Yes, it is good do whatever we can as individuals or a business to send some human warmth to others. View2 - No, if we do something public that involves our customers, then it will be perceived as a "publicity/sales stunt".

Ideally, a small business (different from large corporates) is just a collection of the egos/souls of but a small handful. So, doing something as a business besides just selling product shouldn't be that bizarre. But then we live in a society where large corporations dominate our World and they are truly soul-less entities.

My question: Can a small business (in this case a game developer/publisher) do something humanitarian in conjuction with their customers and have it be well received or are modern consumers just too cynical of the motives of a business?

{Since Panther Games/Matrix Games is in my sig here ... just to be clear ... this is not about either of those two entities ... of course, both are made up of the finest people I know.}

I personally would think so. I never once thought "publicity/sales stunt" when I received my flyer from GMT games. First thoughts were "hey, nice gesture!, very nice sale!". The wargame community is not huge and in general not filled with lowlifes out to screw the system.But now lets not kid ourselves, every kind gesture has an undertone of pure, mechanical business. Publicity,stock reduction, tax write-off's etc etc...

But it is nice to have a little extra gaming goodness around the holidays, but the way the whole corporate holiday feeding frenzy is going, a few years from now Christmas sales will officially launch on July 4th...lol

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 22
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/26/2008 4:46:23 PM   
MarkShot

We've generally shared the doing of these gestures only with our Team of conscript (oops ... I mean most high appreciated volunteers) ... as they are to be considered part of the extended family despite being unsalaried or non-equity holders ... certainly they put in the hours. There's generally been no issue with that, but by definition Team members tend to think highly of principles (founders/partners) of the business. They are not cynics. (All gestures whether handled by one or many partners are done on behalf the business and when we do that we so include all those who contribute regardless of their payroll or equity status). Customers may well have the same mindset, but they tend to be a bit more fickle, I think.

I think it's probably better not to publicize a kind gesture or directly involve the customer base ... although I originally felt the other way. Perhaps ... some good karma will find its way back home and perhaps it will not, but I do think we live in an age where every action is intensely scrutinized. So, if ever ran for President what started out as a kind gesture would be reported in the press "as misapropriation of company product inventory", "lack of ethical behavior in terms of responsibility to share holders", "attempt to forge a web of favors to be called in on future development projects", "flimsy attempts to mask predatory sales practices", ... And those are only the nice headlines I can think of! I think it is back to stealth kindness again! :)

Never more! (I've had enough. Sliterine has raised mediocrity to an art form!)

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 23
RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community - 10/26/2008 7:46:23 PM   
Brigz

quote:

ORIGINAL: MarkShot

I think it is back to stealth kindness again! :)

"Stealth kindness"...never quite thought of it that way.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI