Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: battle module update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> RE: battle module update Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: battle module update - 4/24/2009 5:20:51 AM   
Ghstbear

I used to be heavily into the Battletech universe.  They often used the term Gamemaster.  This was the person who ran the story line.  What people like, I think is for the computer to be the gamemaster.

A friend and I have been using a simple Excel based setup to create a campaign using Tos.  We are working on our second time.  I really think it adds a good element to the game.  On a campaign battlefield you will rarely be evenly matched.  If you run, then you must be able to run faster than the enemy.  Also, the bigger titans will be cumbersome for some things, such as finding bases, or gathering information.  The smaller titans can get creamed easier.

We have been not allowing repairs until one reaches base.  Also, the computer lets us know if we spot the enemy, and then a battle ensues.  A person can design their own base, but can only pick the board in a normal battle if they win a defensive roll.  It's been fun.

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 31
RE: battle module update - 5/10/2009 4:23:37 AM   
Iskandar

Ok, I hate you. 

Now I have to reinstall this thing and play again.  Why did you do that? 
(I kid, of course.)

This is truly a classic game.  My only real complaint isn't something you could fix anyway.  It is just a bit too much sandbox-y.  A campaign mode that tied all three modules together a bit tighter is the only thing I really miss.  The game is open ended to the point you can fake it, making up your own campaigns, though, which I do for my AARs, so not a major complaint.

It really is too bad that there will never be a sequel. 

Oh well, I  still come back and play for a few weeks every 6 months or so.

Hm, perhaps it is time for another AAR?

(in reply to Ghstbear)
Post #: 32
RE: battle module update - 5/10/2009 10:48:35 AM   
LarkinVB

quote:

This is truly a classic game.

To be honest, I share this view.

Me and my buddies are playing it again, hotseat with shared squad against AI.

(in reply to Iskandar)
Post #: 33
RE: battle module update - 5/10/2009 5:35:27 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iskandar

It really is too bad that there will never be a sequel. 

You probably mean: another sequel

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Iskandar)
Post #: 34
RE: battle module update - 5/11/2009 3:00:44 AM   
Iskandar

Oh, and I think there might be a bug with your beta patch, Larkin.  When there are no enemies to lock on, isn't the lock on thingie in the attack menu  supposed to turn yellow?

Or do I misremember that?

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 35
RE: battle module update - 5/11/2009 3:25:44 AM   
Ghstbear

Would you be interested in the Excel file? I am really not a programmer, but I have tinkered with Excel a lot over the years. In order to get it to work you have to take the one file and split it so that both players have half of the tabs. I don't know how it would work for network players, because we have only used one computer while playing, and we plugged in flash drives with each of our half of the original file on them. Then we would make our modifications on our own and sink up when we meet. In Excel there is a feature for manual calculation; we have used this as a dice roll.

This is a rather primitive way of doing things, but it works for me. It might not work for you. If you are interested please let me know.

(in reply to Iskandar)
Post #: 36
RE: battle module update - 5/11/2009 4:33:11 AM   
Iskandar

I am interested, at least.

(in reply to Ghstbear)
Post #: 37
RE: battle module update - 5/11/2009 3:21:16 PM   
LarkinVB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iskandar

Oh, and I think there might be a bug with your beta patch, Larkin.  When there are no enemies to lock on, isn't the lock on thingie in the attack menu  supposed to turn yellow?

You are right. Bug was introduced with new link handling. Will be fixed with next update. It's not game breaking.

(in reply to Iskandar)
Post #: 38
RE: battle module update - 5/11/2009 9:36:45 PM   
LarkinVB

Reuploaded v1.2.2n with fix. 

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 39
RE: battle module update - 5/12/2009 4:05:12 AM   
Ghstbear

Iskander,
It seems I can't send it straight to you.
Before I post it I wanted LarkinVB's permission. I do admire what he's done here, and I don't want to be adding things to the game if he doesn't like the idea.
LarkinVB, please let me know.

(in reply to Iskandar)
Post #: 40
RE: battle module update - 5/12/2009 7:14:24 AM   
LarkinVB

To be honest I don't understand what the excel sheet is doing but feel free to post it in a new thread. 

(in reply to Ghstbear)
Post #: 41
RE: battle module update - 5/17/2009 11:26:33 PM   
theonlystd

Good to see this game is still going.

For whatever reason mp works for me and my friend with no issues now.. We've been playing coop vs the Ai.. Good times when my jocks arent getting killed.. Going to be putting alot of time into this

Been curious if you ever thought about doing a Titans of steel warrings suns 2.. Or some kind of expansion.

But none the less great game.

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 42
RE: battle module update - 5/23/2009 3:29:09 AM   
gazra

I would like to take this opportunity (on behalf of all of the fans who are currently playing this game) to thank LarkinVB for posting his new and improved versions of this game up on this forum for us to enjoy. I really appreciate it! LarkinVB has made many great improvements and tweaks to the game. I can't begin to imagine what other brilliant changes he may have in store for us in future.

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 43
RE: battle module update - 6/3/2009 5:58:29 PM   
Thorgrim

52. Dead jocks can be cloned at hq for money. They will lose 1 constitution.

I think it'd be more interesting if there was more to lose. Say Humans can only be cloned as Replicants, Androids get less Neural Sense, etc.
I understand the loss of 1 Con, it's clean, as Con doesn't affect too many things - skill-wise. Could be nice to have skills reduced because of stats being reduced.

Iceman

(in reply to gazra)
Post #: 44
RE: battle module update - 6/4/2009 6:58:21 AM   
LarkinVB

I invented it cause my friend hates to restart with rookies.  Tried to keep it simple. Kills are set to 0 which will hurt him most. 

(in reply to Thorgrim)
Post #: 45
RE: battle module update - 6/6/2009 1:30:54 PM   
Ghstbear

It is more scientifically accurate that they would be a replicant.

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 46
RE: battle module update - 6/6/2009 4:23:31 PM   
Thorgrim

Not sure why kills=o will hurt him, except in his ego    Or if you guys are have a private competition for the most efficient jock. 
Actually, zero kills makes the jock's upkeep lower, so he's actually being benefitted.

There's a smallish bug I think in the link scanner addition. In the link scanner panel, the arrow on the right (the red one), doesn't cycle back continuouosly like the blue one, it stops in the 1st titan.

Maybe you could correct the new leadership formula (#26) to skill-1

The CC/HtH penalty to ranged weapons in the arms/legs, it can still be avoided if you first fire the ranged weapons and then make the attacks. 

There was something I couldn't figure in the B screen in a game. I had a titan with 2 SRM4s (in the arms). The screen only showed these two weapons. I'm guessing it's because I was prone. The mods shown were -10 in PUNCH/KICK and in PRONE. I don't understand the PUNCH/KICK mod   In SRMs?

In the F2 screen, when a jock is ejecting, TITAN STATUS could display EJECTING, so you have another reference. F5 could also display a message when the eject button is pressed.

The new BMTs are a but weird. The fastest assault is (almost) as fast as the slowest heavy, etc... There's hardly any difference anymore. Just an observation though.

Iceman

(in reply to Ghstbear)
Post #: 47
RE: battle module update - 6/6/2009 11:36:18 PM   
LarkinVB

quote:

The CC/HtH penalty to ranged weapons in the arms/legs, it can still be avoided if you first fire the ranged weapons and then make the attacks.

It's working as intended. You have to keep the right firing order and you are still handicapped while the arm is not recycled in time. I'm satisfied with the result as it was easily coded.

quote:

The new BMTs are a but weird. The fastest assault is (almost) as fast as the slowest heavy, etc... There's hardly any difference anymore. Just an observation though.

Before there was a 2 secs difference between weight class, now it is just 1. So the difference hardly changed. I wanted to speed up the heavier classes. Better solution would be optional additional actuators but it is unlikely Kai will add them for the factory. 

quote:

Actually, zero kills makes the jock's upkeep lower, so he's actually being benefitted.

Difference is small but you are right. Was the reason I didn't reset battle count too.

quote:

There was something I couldn't figure in the B screen in a game. I had a titan with 2 SRM4s (in the arms). The screen only showed these two weapons. I'm guessing it's because I was prone. The mods shown were -10 in PUNCH/KICK and in PRONE. I don't understand the PUNCH/KICK mod in SRMs?

I guess arms were not recycled.

< Message edited by LarkinVB -- 6/7/2009 8:27:48 AM >

(in reply to Thorgrim)
Post #: 48
RE: battle module update - 6/9/2009 5:05:42 PM   
Thorgrim

Few more things:

Scanner links:
There's a typo in the scanner link message "BANDWITH EXCEEDED",  missing a d in bandwidth.
Even when the crosshairs is red, you can still choose to link to that titan. It'll try to link again, wasting time.

Shooting at a hex with a burning woods (and no titans in it), a GMH rack was deflected. That's a bit weird

In the 'B' screen, weapons names for the GMH2 and GMH4 are too long.

In the 'F1' screen:
Missing '.' show status
Missing ',' show map (maybe below ';', with all the map options)
'B' and 'A' are swapped, alphabetically
'B' should read 'Show attack modifiers' (plural)

28. No more called hits with machine guns.
They're going to get (back) a bit on the useless side IMO. They don't give any experience at all (occasionally they give 1 or 2 CXPs at point blank range, maybe 1 out of 3). Designs like the Piranha that relied on that ability are made useless.
Maybe reduce their range to point blank, with no double damage (and heat) ability, and keep the ability to call shots?

25. Added display of weapon hit success value for damage popup window.
Not sure I can see this. You mean the normal damage popup window?

Before there was a 2 secs difference between weight class, now it is just 1. So the difference hardly changed.
Yeah, I know. But if it hardly changed, then why?  :p  The main difference between weight classes should be precisely the speed values.
Maybe the chassis within a weight class should only have 2 values for BMT, say R1 and R2 with the same value, and R3 and R4 with another. That's give more breathing room for spacing out BMTs between weight classes.

Iceman

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 49
RE: battle module update - 6/9/2009 5:07:59 PM   
Thorgrim

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarkinVB

I guess arms were not recycled.

I was prone, I already had the respective mods. When prone, shouldn't the arms be "recycled" by default? I wasn't trying to get up or anything.

Iceman

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 50
RE: battle module update - 6/9/2009 9:01:43 PM   
LarkinVB

??? You get -10% for firing with weapons in arms/legs which aren't fully recycled for any reasons and this modifier is displayed as ARMs/LEGS with 'B'. This is completely unrelated to prone modifiers.

(in reply to Thorgrim)
Post #: 51
RE: battle module update - 6/10/2009 8:27:00 AM   
LarkinVB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thorgrim

Even when the crosshairs is red, you can still choose to link to that titan. It'll try to link again, wasting time.

Another of your squads titan can break the link on purpose and the link with red cross will succeed. Red cross just says that a link will fail now but not necessarily at the end of the link time.

quote:

Shooting at a hex with a burning woods (and no titans in it), a GMH rack was deflected. That's a bit weird

Yes.

quote:

In the 'F1' screen:
Missing '.' show status
Missing ',' show map

F1 is not for showing all the shortcuts which are displayed while the mouse is hovering over buttons.

quote:

28. No more called hits with machine guns.
They're going to get (back) a bit on the useless side IMO. They don't give any experience at all (occasionally they give 1 or 2 CXPs at point blank range, maybe 1 out of 3). Designs like the Piranha that relied on that ability are made useless.
Maybe reduce their range to point blank, with no double damage (and heat) ability, and keep the ability to call shots?

MG designs are still devastating at point blank and MG will give much more XPs than stated. Don't know where you did get your numbers, mine are different. I removed called hits because they made MGs clearly overpowered.

quote:

25. Added display of weapon hit success value for damage popup window.
Not sure I can see this. You mean the normal damage popup window?

Something like HIT [40/83] with message detail at MAX.

quote:

Before there was a 2 secs difference between weight class, now it is just 1. So the difference hardly changed.
Yeah, I know. But if it hardly changed, then why?  :p 

Because I wanted the heavier class to become faster compared to recon. Assaults are now 4secs faster. I like your suggestion. Will do for next patch. Players have to tmerge again though and titans included in missions/campaigns will have keep their old speed.

EDIT: New speeds available with 1.2.2t

< Message edited by LarkinVB -- 6/10/2009 4:10:11 PM >

(in reply to Thorgrim)
Post #: 52
RE: battle module update - 6/12/2009 7:05:01 AM   
gazra

Judge_Omega's superb post (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1968303) (from 2008 December 1) contains excellent suggestions for improving the current revival ability of dead Jocks:
quote:

Radical surgery option to bring back dead jocks as a cyborg with some loss of exp. (expensive and not always successful)
Cloning of dead jocks. Expensive, restarts jock as a rookie with high chances for bonuses in the fields the original was an expert in.(not available for androids, replicants at reduced cost with a chance of a bonus rank)
Data recovery of dead androids/cyborgs. Expensive, restarts jock with 1/2 rank of the original.

quote:

8. Reduced BMT for various chassis, only 2 BMT values for each class.

Choose a B.M.T. for each weight class of Titan. This would be the "base B.M.T." of that weight class. A Titan's B.M.T. should be determined by the following formula:
B.M.T. = (base B.M.T. of weight class) - [(chassis handling modifier)/5]

Assault Titans currently have the same J.M.T. as recon Titans when they both have the same Jump Port. This is incredibly unrealistic. The J.M.T. of a Titan should be determined by its mass to Jump Port number ratio. An assault Titan should have a J.M.T. that is 5 times slower than a recon Titan (when they both have the same Jump Port) because an assault Titan is 5 times the mass of a recon Titan.

The background ambient sound effect (that is played in a continuous loop when you are battling on 'Savannah' maps (i.e. the bird calls)) is EXTREMELY annoying! This sound effect should be removed from the game because I can't STAND it after I've been playing a battle on a Savannah map for a while!

The sound effect and animation of launching a flare is EXACTLY the same as ejecting. The sound effect and animation of launching a flare needs to be changed because it is misleading and it causes inexperienced players to falsely believe that a Jock has ejected.

I wish that Titans and Jocks that a player does not take into a mission did not contribute maintenance at the end of the mission. This way, players would be able to select part of their Squad to partake in missions that are designed for a lower Titan tonnage than the player's Squad currently has (without being unfairly penalized with a larger maintenance cost for Titans and Jocks than the player actually took into and used in the mission).

Titans should only be able to make Close Combat attacks (including punches and kicks) against a stationary enemy Titan. If an enemy Titan is running out of a hex, then a Titan (that is also in that hex) should not be able to make Close Combat attacks against it. It is just silly that a stationary Titan is able to make Close Combat attacks against an enemy Titan that is running (as is currently the case)!

Every time that I have counter-charged an enemy Titan, I have taken the same amount of damage that the enemy Titan (that I counter-charged) took (even when my Titan was more massive and running at a higher speed than the counter-charged enemy Titan!). This is unrealistic and unfair. The game should use momentum (i.e. mass X velocity) to calculate the damage that each Titan takes when a successful counter-charge occurs.

It would be great if players could choose what grade of actuators to put in the Titan, so that the Titan's top speed would be dependent on its mass to (engine PUs) ratio and modified by its grade of actuators. For example, grade 6 actuators would provide the highest multiplier to the Titan's resultant top speed, but those particular actuators would also possess the most mass and occupy the most internal slots and use up the most PUs from the engine. Grade 6 actuators would cause a Titan to do the most damage with successful punches and kicks, whilst grade 1 actuators would cause a Titan to do the least damage with successful punches and kicks. Then players could design Titans based on what they either deem important or just tailor them to their favourite playing style, such as an ultra-fast Recon Titan that has Close Combat weapons and powerful jump jets, or a lumbering Assault Titan that sacrifices speed for more weapons and more free PUs for its energy weapons and Gauss Cannons.

The current descriptions in the F3 window (of either "CALL" or "DONE" in the "ATTACK" and "MOVE" columns) do not convey anywhere near enough information to describe what each Titan is currently doing. This window should be enlarged substantially and specific descriptions should be displayed for what each Titan is doing for both its "ATTACK" and "MOVE" actions, such as "Locking on to Light Titan in hex 12/14 in 4 seconds" or "Locking on to Guillotine in hex 12/14 in 4 seconds" or "Scanning Guillotine in hex 12/14 in 15 seconds" or "Turning left (4 seconds)" or "Running (14 seconds)" or "Walking Forwards (32 seconds)" or "Crouching (4 seconds)" or "Standing up (7 seconds)" or "Dodging (20 seconds)" or "Jumping Up (7 seconds)" or "Jumping Forwards (20 seconds)" or "Swivelling right (2 seconds)" or "Linking scanner to Duellist in hex 09/15 in 20 seconds)" or "Repairing system in 52 seconds" or "toggling shield in 6 seconds" or "ejecting in 6 seconds" (this is what Thorgrim suggested above) or "waiting on call" or "waiting on time (60 seconds)" or "waiting on heat (50 C)" or "waiting on units" or "waiting on recycle", etc. I often change my Titans' orders during a battle and it is very frustratating not knowing which of my Titans are currently locking on to which enemy Titans!

The message that is displayed in the lower right area of the screen (that informs the player what the currently active Titan is doing) does not convey enough information. The same messages should be displayed here as the messages in the paragraph above. For example, the message "Locking on to Guillotine in hex 12/14 in 4 seconds" should be displayed in the lower right area of the screen instead of the simplistic and inadequate message "LOCK TARGET 04 SECS" (as is currently the case).

Sometimes, when I am attacking an enemy Titan, it becomes disabled (i.e. its name is coloured red in the pop-up window when you click on the hex that contains the disabled Titan) (without the head being ripped off or the torso containing the engine being disabled) without the game informing me that it has become disabled, so I am unaware that the Titan is disabled (yet I am continuing to attack the disabled Titan because I am unaware that it is already disabled, when my attacks should be directed towards the remaining enemy Titans that are still functional on the battlefield). The game should inform players (who currently have Line-Of Sight with the disabled Titan, or a scanner link to an allied Titan that does have Line-Of-Sight with the disabled Titan) as soon as an enemy Titan becomes disabled (exactly the same way that the game informs the player when the head is ripped off or when the torso containing the engine is disabled).

Whenever a Titan becomes disabled, the game should automatically "BREAK ATTACK" for every Titan that currently has a lock on (or is locking on to) that disabled Titan. This would speed up gameplay and make the game more user-friendly for players.

In the HQ, when examining the Jock roster, the screen that displays all of the attributes and skills of a Jock should have the primary attribute and secondary attribute displayed in parentheses (brackets) alongside each skill. This would make the game much more user-friendly! Examples would be:
Recon/Light (Dex/Rea) 60 60
Close Combat (Ins/Rea) 55 55
Scanner (Int/Neu) 60 60
Leadership (Cha/Int) 71 71

It would be so handy if the player could see the percentage chance of standing up before the player attempts to stand up (so that you can decide not to attempt to stand up with your severely damaged Titan because the chance of successfully standing up is something as hopeless as 2%, and the damage received from falling down might be enough to disable one of your Titan's locations.

Whenever one of your Titans is ready for you to give an order, if your Titan is overheating (i.e. its temperature is over 50 degrees C), then the game should play an audio file in which a woman says "Heat blue" (if the temperature is between 50 and 75 degrees C) or "Heat yellow" (if the temperature is between 75 and 100 degrees C) so that you automatically know that the Titan is going to have a penalty to hit if you attack, and so that you are adequately warned before you decide to fire your Tesla Bolt which raises your heat to over 100 degrees C! Maybe there could be an option to turn this feature off if players found it annoying.

Androids should be immune to being "dizzy" or "stunned" because they don't have brains.
Humans and replicants are currently significantly inferior to cyborgs and androids. Humans and replicants should get new beneficial abilities (such as receiving more Development Points when they increase their rank, and having a higher percentage of XP converted into Development Points at the end of a battle (because humans learn better and faster than computers)) that make them as good as cyborgs and androids currently are.

E.C.M. should have no effect on G.M.H. (to hit) because (in reality) infra-red missiles (or heat-seeking missiles) are unaffected by the electromagnetic radiation emitted by E.C.M. devices. In reality, heat-seeking missiles are only affected by heat sources (such as burning woods hexes, flares, the Sun, over-heating Titans, and recent explosions (either exploding Titans or exploding ammunition (either inside a Titan or shots that miss their target and explode on the ground)).

Heat is a form of energy. Therefore heat-seeking missiles are a specific type of energy-seeking missile. Therefore G.M.H. missiles are a specific type of G.M.E. missile. The G.M.E. Rack should be renamed the G.M.R. Rack (i.e. radar-seeking missile, or radar-homing missile). The G.M.R. would not have a better chance to hit when the enemy target has an active shield. The G.M.R. would be considered an unguided missile if it was fired at an enemy Titan that was not performing an active scan and that did not have an E.C.M. turned on (either due to being destroyed or deliberately turned off or not being equipped with an E.C.M.), and the G.M.R. would then have a good chance of targeting any other Titan in the path of the missile.

The Meson Guns and all of the weapons in the "Energy Weapons" category should be unable to cause instability to Titans that are hit by them because (in reality) the beams/flames/arcs from these weapons possess negligible mass, so they would be unable to exert anywhere near enough force to displace a 40 ton Titan.

There is no such thing as a "black ray". The Black Ray Gun should be renamed the Dark Energy Gun and its +65% instability modifier and increased Jock damage upon head hits should be kept, but its improved chance of burning woods hexes should be removed (because there is currently no scientific evidence that suggests that dark energy has a better chance of igniting combustible matter than light does).

< Message edited by gazra -- 4/11/2010 5:19:04 AM >

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 53
RE: battle module update - 6/12/2009 10:41:20 AM   
Thorgrim

quote:

ORIGINAL: LarkinVB

??? You get -10% for firing with weapons in arms/legs which aren't fully recycled for any reasons and this modifier is displayed as ARMs/LEGS with 'B'. This is completely unrelated to prone modifiers.

Like I said, I had just gone down. I was prone, and not trying to stand up - completely still. I had 2 weapons, both in the arms, and both reading -10% in *PUNCH/KICK*, not ARMS/LEGS - maybe it's the same thing, as I don't recall this mod?
My point about being prone is that you already have one mod for firing prone - the stance mod, not any other. So I was firing at like -30% or something.

quote:

MG designs are still devastating at point blank and MG will give much more XPs than stated. Don't know where you did get your numbers, mine are different. I removed called hits because they made MGs clearly overpowered.

I got them from a game IIRC, veteran jock. Most of the time I got zero XPs, every 3 or 4 hits I got 1 or 2 XPs.
MGs are simply low range missile launchers now. Worst, as 2 or 4 points aren´t even enough to cause crits or imbalance (racks can accumulate damage in locations).

quote:

Something like HIT [40/83] with message detail at MAX.

Ah, I always play at HIGH. Thanks.

BTW, the fire sprite in a hex is displayed over the titan sprites, even the active one. Would it be desired to ahve that reversed? Just asking.

Iceman

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 54
RE: battle module update - 6/12/2009 11:23:48 AM   
LarkinVB

1. Send me a save game. All I can say is to repeat myself that ARMS/LEGS penalties are valid while arms/legs are not recycled. This is independant but in addition to any prone stance modifier. If your arms were fully recycled it must be a bug, if not the penalty was valid imo.

2. I agree to disagree. It was very easy to rip of predamaged locations with MG called hits at point blank to the point of imbalance. I'm still piloting titans with MGs and love them as they are. I tested with veteran at range 1 and got different results.
31 XPs for 5 hits if I remember correctly.

3. I like it simple, so fire over titan will stay.

(in reply to Thorgrim)
Post #: 55
RE: battle module update - 6/12/2009 11:45:40 AM   
LarkinVB

@gazra : To be honest I don't like the demanding tone of your post. "The game should do this ..."

It is freeware and the single thing TOS SHOULD do right now is : Please me.

I disagree in some points but don't feel like elaborating. I like the game the way it is, really, I do. I can even handle the interface without any problems. I love blackray guns even idf the are not scientifically approved. I'm happy with F3 but I always know what my titans are doing most of the time. If not I press '9'. I invented cloning without xp or rank penalties just for my friend.

Fundamentals will not be changed, interface grafics will not be changed, factory or tcc code will not be changed. You get the idea ?

I may sound a bit harsh but I do not like people demanding stuff from freeware. What did you contribute ? Already finished a decent campaign ? Good titan designs for download ? Be aware that your campaign must be really good, otherwise I may start to demand stuff to be changed.

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 56
RE: battle module update - 6/12/2009 11:52:29 AM   
Thorgrim

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazra

If crouched Titans receive a +5 bonus to hit with their ranged attacks (as is currently the case), then prone Titans should logically receive a +10 bonus to hit with their arm-mounted and head-mounted ranged weapons (instead of the -10 penalty that they currently receive). In reality, snipers shoot whilst lying prone because this provides the most stable weapons platform and maximizes their chance to hit their target.

While I would agree about head-mounted weapons (IF the titan was not firing any other weapon), arm-mounted weapons are different. Snipers and titans have hardly anything in common. The titan needs one arm to support itself, and it's not really a stable and efficient position *for the jock*. The jock is inside the cockpit, and so is handicapped by the titan's position and facing.

quote:

Titans should be able to deliberately lay down on the ground in a prone position so that they can receive a +10 bonus to hit with their arm-mounted and head-mounted weapons. This would make the game more interesting for players who prefer using Close Cambat weapons because more enemy Titans would deliberately lay prone on the ground, so they would be juicy targets for Close Combat specialists.

Well, throwing yourself to the ground inside a multi-ton metal warmachine with sensitive equipment is hardly something you want to do on purpose IMO. Sure, BattleTech has this, but that hardly means it's actually a good thing Oh, I love BT.

quote:

I don't get it. Surely, if all Titans in each weight class have the same weight (and their speed is unaffected by what engine is in the Titan, as is currently the case), then each Titan in the same weight class is going to have EXACTLY the same speed (because (in reality) the handling modifier of the chassis would only affect turning speed and dodging speed, not straight-line walking/running speed)!

Do you mean that all cars with the same engine and the same weight have the exact same top speed?! There are no aerodynamics considerations at all? Shape of the car/titan and air resistance? In the case of titans, efficient positioniong of actuators for example? Can't you really find good explanations?!

quote:

Recon Titans would range in mass between 40 and 60 tons,

Well, you can design recons between zero and 40 tons, the lower their mass the higher their top speed. Etc. That's moe or less what you're asking for, right?

quote:

I also wish that players could choose what grade of actuators to put in the Titan, so that the Titan's top speed would be dependent on its mass to (engine PUs) ratio and modified by its grade of actuators.

Actually, Larkin thought about including something like that during beta, but it turned out to be too difficult to balance IIRC.

quote:

The current descriptions in the F3 window (of either "CALL" or "DONE" in the "ATTACK" and "MOVE" columns) do not convey anywhere near enough information to describe what each Titan is currently doing.

That window is meant for calling modes on titans, not to be descriptive at the level you mention. There's another window for what you want, IIRC '0'? (zero) Shows modes for all titans in current squad.

quote:

Whenever one of your Titans is ready for you to give an order, if your Titan is overheating (i.e. its temperature is over 50 degrees C), then the game should play an audio file in which a woman says "Heat blue!" (if the temperature is between 50 and 75 degrees C) or "Heat yellow!" (if the temperature is between 75 and 100 degrees C) so that you automatically know that the Titan is going to have a penalty to hit if you attack, and so that you are adequately warned before you decide to fire your Tesla Bolt which raises your heat to over 100 degrees C!

Huh?! You mean when you press 'a'? Can't you look to your right and check the heat bar? Would you like the game to play for you too?
It'd be tiring to have this in the game, after a while.

quote:

Androids should be immune to being "dizzy" or "stunned" because they don't have brains.

They don't have biological brains, you mean.

quote:

E.C.M. should have no effect on G.M.H. (to hit) because (in reality) infrared missiles (or heat-seeking missiles) are unaffected by the electromagnetic radiation emitted by E.C.M. devices. In reality, heat-seeking missiles are only affected by flares.

They're not supposed to affect the missiles' guidance system, but the targeting computer's firing solution I guess.

quote:

Energy weapons should be unable to cause instability to Titans that are hit by them because (in reality) energy beams (such as lasers and ionic beams) are massless, therefore they possess no kinetic energy (i.e. (0.5) X mass X velocity X velocity) to be able to apply a force to displace another object.

Read the escription of the BRG. And extrapolate.

quote:

There is no such thing as a "black ray". The Black Ray Gun should be renamed the Dark Energy Gun and its +65% instability modifier and increased Jock damage upon head hits should be kept, but its improved chance of burning woods hexes should be removed (because there is no current scientific evidence that suggests that dark energy has a better chance of igniting combustible matter than light does).

Oooh, dark energy sounds so much more scientific...

Iceman

(in reply to gazra)
Post #: 57
RE: battle module update - 6/12/2009 6:31:49 PM   
Thorgrim

Henrik, maybe you could attach the tmerged database in the thread you're using for the updates? Just a thought.

Iceman

(in reply to Thorgrim)
Post #: 58
RE: battle module update - 6/12/2009 7:29:49 PM   
LarkinVB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thorgrim

Henrik, maybe you could attach the tmerged database in the thread you're using for the updates? Just a thought.

Hmm, perhaps some people don't like their own database to be overwritten ?

(in reply to Thorgrim)
Post #: 59
RE: battle module update - 6/12/2009 8:39:44 PM   
Thorgrim

I meant as a separate zip 
So they will only download it if they want. Saves the hassle of converting the database. You know how people tend to be lazy  Especially when it involves using the command line.

Iceman

(in reply to LarkinVB)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Classic (Free) Games] >> Titans of Steel - Warring Suns >> RE: battle module update Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI