Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Replacement for Steel Panthers?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Replacement for Steel Panthers? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/14/2008 3:28:55 PM   
BigDuke66

Does a game similar to Steel Panthers exist?
Or is at least in the making?

Post #: 1
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/14/2008 4:08:42 PM   
Lützow

You may look into John Tiller's Campaign Series.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 2
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/14/2008 5:51:26 PM   
Arsan

The Combat Mission (CM) games did the trick for me.
The ones to get are CMBB (Barbarrossa to berlin) and CMAK (Afrika Korps). Excellent WWII tactic wargames.
They are a little old by now but much less than Steel Panthers.
Regards

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 3
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/14/2008 8:42:28 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arsan

Try demo before you buy. Those games have crappy camera controls, which was effective show-stopper for me. Some here may disagree.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 4
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/14/2008 9:03:16 PM   
Arsan

Never had problem with the cameras...
As 3D games, you actually have to "control" the camera aroudn to focus on what you want to see (is not just a 2D scroll) so it takes some turns to get yourself used to the system. But i don't remember any special problem when i began playing with the first game of the series (CMBO).
Being a turn based game helps. There is no hurry: You can see the replay several times and rewind and fforward and move aroudn to focus on different parts of the battle as long as you like...
Regards

< Message edited by Arsan -- 10/14/2008 9:05:35 PM >

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 5
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/14/2008 9:34:50 PM   
Hertston

The camera controls are pretty wacko, I agree. Not a problem, really, in the WEGO-only games but much more of an annoyance in Shock Force, although I've got used to them. It's odd really, half-an-hour's play of just about any recent mainstream RTS game shows how to do it properly.

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 6
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/14/2008 10:07:19 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arsan

The ones to get are CMBB (Barbarrossa to berlin) and CMAK (Afrika Korps). Excellent WWII tactic wargames.
They are a little old by now but much less than Steel Panthers.
Regards

Be careful on those two... many modern systems cannot run them (for various reasons). I still love them, but I do know that many people can no longer run them due to inevitable system upgrades.

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 7
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/14/2008 10:19:33 PM   
KG Erwin

Replace SPWaW? Why in the world would anyone wanna do that? I'm admittedly a bit biased, but I have yet to find a decent alternative in which to play as the USMC in WWII.

Check out this classic PBEM DAR: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1051872

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 10/14/2008 10:21:34 PM >

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 8
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/14/2008 11:04:18 PM   
Hanal

May not be exactly what you are looking for, but I'm anticipating the release of Lock 'n Load-Heroes of Stalingrad!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/15/2008 12:09:25 AM   
sabre100

I am also looking for Lock n Load PC version but I will hold my breath on that one.. it probably will be released 5 years from now....looks like developer is too busy with board games instead.

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 10
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/15/2008 2:57:35 AM   
BigDuke66

Well John Tiller's Campaign Series looks a bit more like an strategic approach, reminds me of Panzer Generals every a level coarser.
And CM has already itself a good replacement with Theater of War.

I really wonder why there isn't a new Steel Panthers in the work. Seems to me that the game has still a lot supporters and with everything from graphic to AI improved to a modern level I don't see why it shouldn't be a blockbuster.

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 11
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/15/2008 6:00:45 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Well John Tiller's Campaign Series looks a bit more like an strategic approach, reminds me of Panzer Generals every a level coarser.
And CM has already itself a good replacement with Theater of War.

Wrong on both counts. JTCS is a tactical game with very little resemblance to Panzer General. The CM games are some of the best wargames yet released while Theatre of War is an RTS game, albeit a little more sophisticated than those usually carrying that label. The only 'replacement' for CM is/will be the next generation games, i.e (at the moment) Shock Force.... although the nearest available equivalent to the first series are the Matrix/Koios 'Panzer Command' games. I certainly suggest you give one of those a try if you like WW2 tactical games. Give JTCS a spin as well. There won't be another Steel Panthers, development was started on one but it got abandones with no sign of resurrection.

< Message edited by Hertston -- 10/15/2008 6:05:17 AM >

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 12
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/15/2008 9:29:35 AM   
Lützow

When I played Steel Panthers for the first time, it immedialetely reminded me to East Front II with a different (top down) perspective and missing movement animations. By knowing all of above mentioned titles I'd truly suggest JTCS for someone who liked SPWaW.

CM 1-3 is nice as well but has a total different feeling and Panzer Command was the failed attempt of creating a spiritual successor. For some reason I could never get into this one, even the camera controls are way better there.

< Message edited by Lützow -- 10/15/2008 9:32:20 AM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 13
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/15/2008 9:58:46 AM   
m10bob

Replace SPWAW?...You speak heresy.

< Message edited by m10bob -- 10/15/2008 10:05:54 AM >

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 14
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 10/16/2008 4:23:27 AM   
V22 Osprey

Steel Panthers is all you need.I can still have hours of fun with SP1.

Steel Panthers is the BEST game series EVER made.

SPWAW,WinSPWW2,and WinSPMBT are the most modern versions.However, only WinSPWW2 and WinSPMBT are the only games still being worked on and the bugs getting fixed.SPWAW has sadly nothing going for it.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 15
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 11/17/2008 4:56:39 PM   
BigDuke66

I wonder whether Steel Panthers Enhanced or WinSPWW2 is better.
Did anyone compare them?
WinSPWW2 is based on the old SP2 Dos version, why didn't they use SPWAW?

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 16
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 11/17/2008 5:35:02 PM   
V22 Osprey

SPWAW Enhanced has improved alot of stuff, but it replace the old SPWAW graphics with WinSPWW2 simular ones.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 17
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 11/17/2008 7:00:07 PM   
z1812

Hi Big Duke,

As has already been suggested John Tiller's Campaign Series may be right for you. As far as I know, regarding WW2, SP and JTCS are the only games that provide very good coverage of all fronts with accurate OOB's and equipment . Not to mention the number of major and minor countries included.

I like WINSPWW2 and have bought the CD version. In my view it is well worth the money for the better resolutions and sharper focus. The units and maps look very nice.

The other games mentioned such as the Combat Mission Series are very, very good. They can also be played top down if one wishes.

You may also want to check out HPSSIMS Squad Battles series. I quite enjoy them.

Regards John

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 18
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 11/18/2008 11:08:31 AM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

I've playing a game of Steel Panthers (Korsun campaign) and am liking it so if you have similar tastes in wargames to mine then I'll tell you what I found cool.  The best wargames for me are the Decisive Battles series like Kharkov which has the same startup menu as Steel Panthers complete with gunshot and nice tactical fights.  And I like Blitzkrieg II: Liberation and Fall of the Reich... both similar to Steel Panthers cause you get a very limited kampfgruppe of troops and equipment for fighting, with no production or resources to manage, so you have be careful to avoid heavy losses while completing the mission so it's like very tactical.

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 19
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 11/18/2008 11:17:52 AM   
SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Maybe it is not good etiquette for me to mention non-Matrix titles. Is it taboo here?

(in reply to SS Hauptsturmfuhrer)
Post #: 20
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 11/18/2008 11:57:20 AM   
Grell

quote:

ORIGINAL: SS Hauptsturmfuhrer

Maybe it is not good etiquette for me to mention non-Matrix titles. Is it taboo here?

Sure you can discuss non Matrix games here.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to SS Hauptsturmfuhrer)
Post #: 21
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 11/20/2008 12:44:15 AM   
madgamer2

actually.....well.....I .... think not. Others are good as mentioned but I keep hoping for a new version of the SP but it don't look like its going to happen anytime soon LOL.

Madgamer

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 22
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 11/21/2008 12:26:17 AM   
killroyishere

Bout all I can come up with are some older versions of Steel Panthers from the commodore 64 days like Kampfgruppe, Battlegroup, Typhoon of Steel and Panzer Strike. There really just isn't a good replacement though for Steel Panthers today except the Generals Version of Steel Panthers imho. There's so many scenarios in that that you'd never play them all in a lifetime I don't think. Second to that would of course be the Combat Mission series as has been suggested with CMAK 1st and CMBB 2nd as to my choices. There's a mod for CMAK called CMETO that allows you to play all the scenarios and mods from the origional Overlord one on the CMAK engine.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 23
RE: Replacement for Steel Panthers? - 11/21/2008 2:00:39 AM   
mikul82

After getting tired of the eyestrain wrecking my SPWaW playing (on my LCD monitor) after about 10 minutes, then trying and trying to get into SPWW2 with it's nice 1280x1024 resolution and realizing that other than that, for some reason the game just doesn't compare to WaW for me, I've finally dug my old CRT backup monitor out of the closet, and now hook it up almost solely to play SPWaW (will use it for some other old low res games eventually).  This is IMO easily the best of all the Steel Panthers renditions- I  spent the huge listed price on the General's Edition, and would quickly pay for a screen resolution upgrade as well (not $70 again though), it would just top this game off.

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Replacement for Steel Panthers? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI