Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT-seawolf park damaged

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> OT-seawolf park damaged Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT-seawolf park damaged - 10/2/2008 9:41:31 PM   
SargeantTex

Just a little news from Texas for all of you naval buffs- Seawolf park in Galveston has been heavily damaged the Cavalla which had about 30% of her hull underground is resting on top of the ground now. The DE Stewart which also had some of her hull underground is also on top of the ground and is listing about20-30 degrees no news about if the hulls got twisted any hopefully not!
Lonestar flight museum which had quite a collection of flyable and non flyable planes has suffered heavy damage.

No word yet about the USS Texas hopefully the state of texas will realize the importance of these ships and help restore them. I am still pissed off that they continue to penny pinch when it comes to the Texas even though she is owned by the state.
Post #: 1
RE: OT-seawolf park damaged - 10/2/2008 9:46:30 PM   
mlees

Is this all from Hurricane Ike?

(in reply to SargeantTex)
Post #: 2
RE: OT-seawolf park damaged - 10/2/2008 10:42:29 PM   
tocaff

With things the way they are with the economy don't hold your breath waiting for the state to spend money on a project that wasn't already underway of this nature.  It'll be a tough sell to get corporate backing and private parties are tight too.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 3
RE: OT-seawolf park damaged - 10/3/2008 12:20:07 AM   
rogueusmc

< Message edited by rogueusmc -- 10/3/2008 12:25:25 AM >

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 4
RE: OT-seawolf park damaged - 10/3/2008 1:07:47 AM   
Feinder

Did they get "floated up" and then "floated down" (and didn't come down in the same spot) from the storm surge?

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 5
RE: OT-seawolf park damaged - 10/3/2008 1:20:42 AM   
BrucePowers

Most likely. I have a friend in Tiki Island. The storm surge under his house (it is on stilts) was about 8 feet.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 6
RE: OT-seawolf park damaged - 10/3/2008 1:43:08 AM   
MkXIV

Just a note to those not familiar with Seawolf park, the ships were already out of the water BEFORE the storm, they weren't transplated there.

F4U Corsair; When you Absolutely, Positively need to kill every freaking Zero in a 40 mile hex....

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 7
RE: OT-seawolf park damaged - 10/3/2008 1:43:44 AM   
Feinder

To what submarine did that "sail" (or whatever you call it) belong to? (to the left of Cavella).

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 8
RE: OT-seawolf park damaged - 10/3/2008 4:48:18 AM   
rogueusmc

The Sail of the Tautog (SSN-639) is also there and used to be perpendicular to the Cavalla at the bow I believe.

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 9
RE: OT-seawolf park damaged - 10/3/2008 1:42:56 PM   
morganbj

The entire State government should be shot for not maintaining the Texas better.  It looks ok to the average uninformed tourist, I guess, but thars demons a growin' where the tourists don't look.  That demon is death to a steel-hulled ship.  Rust never sleeps.

A magnificent ship may (no, will) have to be scrapped one day because some politicians would rather waste a little more money in the black hole of Texas bureaucracy than provide a permanent solution.

(in reply to rogueusmc)
Post #: 10
RE: OT-seawolf park damaged - 10/3/2008 2:12:42 PM   
morganbj

Of course, there is a group of folks, mostly volunteers, who are doing their best to maintain the ship.  So, I don't mean to demean their effort with my comment above.  The task just requires much more support that it gets right now, if it's to keep the Texas "battleworthy" for the future.

A group actually raised money 20 years ago, I think it was, to get her in dry dock to make major repairs.  The wood decks that had been replaced with concrete were relaid with wood, the hull was repaired as much as was possible, and other significant restoration was completed.  But, that was 20 years ago.

The Texas, like all the ships of the era around the country "at rest," are true national treasures, and should be treated as such.

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> OT-seawolf park damaged Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI