Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Curiousity about French surrender

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Curiousity about French surrender Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Curiousity about French surrender - 10/1/2008 10:13:08 AM   
vinnie71

OI had a really funny game going on for some time. In 1914 and 1915 I steamrolled through France. On purpose I targetted the French army mainly, engaging wherever I found it. In practice it was reduced to 2 or 3 artillery units by mid-1915 (thanks to several encirclements up north as well). The front was held by the British, to such an extent that they even relocated their Egyptian garrisons to France. Yet France with its army all but annihilated, did not surrender. I even had Paris but failed to take Rouen and Belfort at both extremeties of the front. Obviously I had to relocate my best units to the Eastern Front in order to check the Russians who had pushed the Austrians hard.

How is it possible that France didn't surrender when in practice they didn't have an army to speak of? Could it be that the Italian declaration of war held them in the game?

BTW France surrendered only when I launched a massive (about 12 corps + artillery) central offensive and split the TE front in 2 and gained Lyon and Dijon (?) at one go.
Post #: 1
RE: Curiousity about French surrender - 10/1/2008 1:16:38 PM   
ILCK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Offworlder

How is it possible that France didn't surrender when in practice they didn't have an army to speak of? Could it be that the Italian declaration of war held them in the game?

B

Army losses do not bother people. Playing a hotseat game vs myself (I hate to lose) I launched what I knew would be a futile series of French attacks on the German Rhine defenses after the Germans went east trying to just draw off forces that were pressing the Russians. I suffered horrific losses 2 turns in a row, I mean huge losses. I checked next turn and morale was at 98%. I've actually bled France of manpower, not arms, and am still at 98%.

Loss of armies appears to do very little to crush morale but the loss of cities is what cripples a country. This is also why my efforts to "save" the Russian army in another game did not stave off the Revolution since trading land for men was the wrong decision.

< Message edited by ILCK -- 10/1/2008 1:23:20 PM >

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 2
RE: Curiousity about French surrender - 10/1/2008 2:43:06 PM   
vinnie71

Hmm... then that's why France kept 'fighting' on despite the annihilation of her army. What also amazed me is that the AI didn't even replace lost corps. It couldn't be that it ran out of manpower by 1915 (or could it be so?). Strange though that manpower losses don't count for much especially since both the Russian Revolution and the French mutinies (and to a smaller extent the collapse of AH) was greatly motivated by what many regarded as incredebly high and futile losses.

(in reply to ILCK)
Post #: 3
RE: Curiousity about French surrender - 10/1/2008 4:45:50 PM   
ILCK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Offworlder

Hmm... then that's why France kept 'fighting' on despite the annihilation of her army. What also amazed me is that the AI didn't even replace lost corps. It couldn't be that it ran out of manpower by 1915 (or could it be so?). Strange though that manpower losses don't count for much especially since both the Russian Revolution and the French mutinies (and to a smaller extent the collapse of AH) was greatly motivated by what many regarded as incredebly high and futile losses.

The low effect of losses is a bit odd since it was dead bodies that got folks very upset not the loss of some odd cities here and there.

France can run out of manpower - I know in 1915 in my hotseat game I've chewed through French manpower in Sept 1915 thanks to some poor decisions.

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 4
RE: Curiousity about French surrender - 10/2/2008 9:20:20 AM   
vinnie71

Yeah the French do seem to have more resources than manpower. Still its strange that a country that gets its army wiped out (for all intents and purposes) can still remain in the war. My next CP game will centre on taking the line Rouen - Paris and outflank the border forts. Hopefully that should suffice to break France by mid 1915

(in reply to ILCK)
Post #: 5
RE: Curiousity about French surrender - 10/28/2008 7:32:16 PM   
FrankHunter

quote:

then that's why France kept 'fighting' on despite the annihilation of her army. What also amazed me is that the AI didn't even replace lost corps. It couldn't be that it ran out of manpower by 1915

offworlder, just to clarify, yes France was probably out of manpower at the time. It comes in month by month once the initial allotment is "spent". The AI always tries to rebuild corps.

As for manpower losses counting against morale, well not by much, however, they do count against the exhaustion of the army.

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 6
RE: Curiousity about French surrender - 10/28/2008 9:42:57 PM   
hjaco

More likely France would have lost production capacity when loosing Paris which seems to be the case in general when loosing your capital?

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 7
RE: Curiousity about French surrender - 10/28/2008 10:04:24 PM   
FrankHunter

Yes, losing your capital cripples production to put it mildly :-)

(in reply to hjaco)
Post #: 8
RE: Curiousity about French surrender - 10/28/2008 11:01:05 PM   
hjaco

I have a question to that regard Frank.

Does the high industrial concentration in capitals represent real industrial infrastructure or is it also partly representing administrative and rail infrastructure in a capital hub necessary for efficient use of industry spread around the country too small to represent in this game?

Post #: 9
RE: Curiousity about French surrender - 10/29/2008 12:56:45 AM   
FrankHunter

It was a "design for effect" where I tried to balance the economic importance of areas.

(in reply to hjaco)
Post #: 10
RE: Curiousity about French surrender - 10/29/2008 7:36:41 AM   
hjaco

Makes sense - thanx

Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Curiousity about French surrender Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI