Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Australian Football Grand Final

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Australian Football Grand Final Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Australian Football Grand Final - 9/27/2008 3:14:03 AM   
Neilster

If anyone's interested, the Grand Final will be on in about 2.5 hours from when this post was made (ie 14:30 Melbourne time). You might be able to catch it on a sports channel.

This year's final promises to be a good one. 100,000 people will be packed into a Colosseum-like stadium because it's got the best 2 teams for the whole season and it's a replay of the classic 1989 one.

In that game, the star was Gary Ablett, probably the best player ever. His son, Gary Ablett Jr. is a fantastic player for the same team and will probably be instrumental today. The AFL has a father-son rule which circumvents the normal draft. It's one of the best things they ever did. His team, Geelong, were formed in 1859 and it's one of the oldest football clubs in the world.

Like many people I'll be turning the sound on the telly down and listening to the "guerrilla" call by Roy and HG. They're completely hilarious, usually pretty controversial and they occasionally actually describe the action. Their humour is a bit hard to describe though. Ethnocentric would probably be close. I look forward to seeing who will win the Jack Dyer medal this year (their pick for the worst player on the ground )

If you have never seen this sport before, this is the game to check out. They go in very hard and there are some extremely talented players on these teams. Also, they've got good, old-fashioned football jumpers with stripes (although the days of actual jumpers are long gone). None of this modern rubbish with lightning bolts and dozens of colours...proper footy jumpers that look like they were designed in the Nineteenth Century

Here's Gary Ablett Jr. and one of the key players for the other team (Hawthorn), the mercurial "Buddy" Franklin.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (3)

< Message edited by Neilster -- 9/27/2008 3:19:24 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Australian Football Grand Final - 9/27/2008 8:25:17 AM   
Neilster

Well, in a big boilover and a strange game, Hawthorn beat Geelong 115 to 89.

That's a massive upset. Geelong only lost one game all year but Hawthorn peaked at the right time and that's the magic of the Grand Final.

And the Dyer medalist...in traditional surreal fashion, Roy and HG awarded it to Trent Croad from the winning team who played quite well until he limped off with a broken foot early in the game

Cheers, Neilster

p.s. The actual winner of the best player was Luke Hodge. He's an absolute gun and a really gutsy player. Last week he was coughing up blood after a big collision but there was never any doubt he would play. In game 305, after 16 seasons of football, his team-mate Shane Crawford finally played in a Grand Final and they won it.

< Message edited by Neilster -- 9/27/2008 8:31:59 AM >

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 2
RE: Australian Football Grand Final - 9/27/2008 2:35:58 PM   
ANZAC_Tack

it really turned second half or what? first half it looked like a kids match...

mind u, im a nrl person, manly thumped kiwis !!!

ANZAC_Tack

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 3
RE: Australian Football Grand Final - 9/27/2008 3:43:14 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: ANZAC_Tack

it really turned second half or what? first half it looked like a kids match...

mind u, im a nrl person, manly thumped kiwis !!!

Geelong blew their chances to be sure. Let's not confuse our foreign audience though. ANZAC_Tack is talking Rugby League in the second half of his post. A hard and worthy sport.

My dad was a very good Rugby League player in NSW in the late 50s and early 60s. You had to be officially dead to leave the ground in those days. He was a mild mannered guy, a scientist, but when he showed me some of what he did...hooley dooley...he didn't muck around. "Who is this guy and and what did you with my dad?". Hard. Ridiculously hard.

Go the Melbourne Storm in the final!

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 9/27/2008 3:45:27 PM >

(in reply to ANZAC_Tack)
Post #: 4
RE: Australian Football Grand Final - 9/28/2008 8:19:38 AM   
mack2

Storm are pathetic. Cheats, both on the field and off, should never have been put in the comp, after all those top 8 finishes and premierships they still have zero support in Melbourne, Melbourne Victory (Football/Soccer) team have more support than them, and it's only been around about 5 years.

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 5
RE: Australian Football Grand Final - 9/28/2008 9:23:51 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: mack2

Storm are pathetic. Cheats, both on the field and off, should never have been put in the comp, after all those top 8 finishes and premierships they still have zero support in Melbourne, Melbourne Victory (Football/Soccer) team have more support than them, and it's only been around about 5 years.

Well...I think that's a little harsh. Melbourne is an Aussie Rules stronghold but it's not correct to say they have no support. Melbourne people love sport in general and the Storm are an excellent team with a groundswell of support. Yes, there appears to be an issue with grapple tackling but that is true of all teams. Soccer (football) is incredibly popular in Melbourne, not least because of its huge immigrant population, so it's no surprise that the Melbourne Victory have a big following. The Storm haven't been around much longer and the example of the Sydney AFL team might be pertinent. It's amazing how many Sydneysiders jumped on their bandwagon when they got good.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 6
RE: Australian Football Grand Final - 9/28/2008 1:18:27 PM   
Raverdave

Oooo that's a tad harsh mack2. Me thinks once the new footy ground (yet another one ) is finished they will be able to get more bums on seats.

As for me I am still wondering what the heck is with the 15 million and southern friends splashed on the hawks? All that nosh and they still don't have a home based AFL team.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to mack2)
Post #: 7
RE: Australian Football Grand Final - 9/28/2008 2:00:55 PM   
Fred98

I am from Sydney and have no interest in AFL. I had no idea a grand final was on till it was on the news Sunday morning.

Or to re-phrase, last week nobody talked about it at the office, or nor at 2 separate dinners I attended over the course of last week.

AFL should stay in Mexico where it belongs

-

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 8
RE: Australian Football Grand Final - 9/28/2008 2:25:21 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

I am from Sydney and have no interest in AFL. I had no idea a grand final was on till it was on the news Sunday morning.

Or to re-phrase, last week nobody talked about it at the office, or nor at 2 separate dinners I attended over the course of last week.

AFL should stay in Mexico where it belongs

Yes...well...get f%cked mate . Rugby League is the dominant code in 2 states but there are six states. It's the Australian game and millions of people disagree with you.

I love my League but it has serious problems. It's being overrun by dummy half running and needs to have a good hard look at itself.

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 9/28/2008 2:30:22 PM >

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 9
RE: Australian Football Grand Final - 9/29/2008 12:00:02 AM   
Fred98

First you presume that NSW and QLD have some iota of interest in you’re game and then you post on an international forum and presume foreigners have an interest too.

That recent book: “AFL: the game that made Australia” are you kidding! The name could have been “Marbles: the game that made Australia” and gotten just as many laughs here!

-

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 10
RE: Australian Football Grand Final - 9/29/2008 4:28:28 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

First you presume that NSW and QLD have some iota of interest in you’re game and then you post on an international forum and presume foreigners have an interest too.

That recent book: “AFL: the game that made Australia” are you kidding! The name could have been “Marbles: the game that made Australia” and gotten just as many laughs here!

-

I seem to remember a bit of interest in Queensland and New South Wales when their teams won the Grand Final. And I didn't presume anything. Read the first sentence of my original post.

Neilster

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 11
RE: Australian Football Grand Final - 9/29/2008 8:30:20 AM   
JamesM

I would have preferred non vic teams in the AFL Grand final, It would have given me a team to support!

Go the Storm! Any team that play against Manly, Canterbury or the Roosters has my support!

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 12
RE: Australian Football Grand Final - 9/29/2008 11:42:30 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: jamesm

I would have preferred non vic teams in the AFL Grand final, It would have given me a team to support!

Go the Storm! Any team that play against Manly, Canterbury or the Roosters has my support!

Man, what the hell happened to North Queensland? They looked like they had talent to burn.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to JamesM)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Australian Football Grand Final Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI