Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 1.04 Update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: 1.04 Update Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/22/2008 4:23:24 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis
What game stopping PBEM bugs are you talking about?
Are those bugs that I am not aware of?
Are they in Mantis?

CleverDevils is still stuck.

However, to refute what someone said earlier, I am unaware of ANY game-stopping bugs that have clearly existed since the original release. The current one CleverDevils is experiencing MAY have been in existence (we may have been the first game to actually have an Ottoman Empire get played in a war). But, I don't think there are any obvious ones that are not end-cases.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 31
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/22/2008 6:25:12 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

quote:

Are they in Mantis?

However, to refute what someone said earlier, I am unaware of ANY game-stopping bugs that have clearly existed since the original release. The current one CleverDevils is experiencing MAY have been in existence (we may have been the first game to actually have an Ottoman Empire get played in a war). But, I don't think there are any obvious ones that are not end-cases.

Jimmer, be serious man. If you want to have blinders on that's fine, but too many people here value your opinion and this post is seriously misleading. NO game-stopping bugs since the ORIGINAL RELEASE??? ARE YOU SERIOUS???

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 32
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/22/2008 7:17:42 PM   
Jimmer

Show me. Show me a verified bug that has been present in the code since December.

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 33
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/22/2008 7:34:29 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

Show me. Show me a verified bug that has been present in the code since December.

Without looking at the code, I'm going to say that the bug CleverDevils2 has now "has been present in the code since December."

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 34
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/22/2008 7:39:44 PM   
Mardonius

quote:

ORIGINAL: delatbabel

I have finished my latest round of testing on the latest 1.04 DEV release and have given Marshall the OK to release that as a beta.  There are a few fixes outstanding but it's much better than the current release, especially from an AI perspective (even playing France was a little tough).

Let's see what happens from here.

That is great to hear Del. Thanks for your work. Much appreciated.

Marshall: Thank you for your unwaivering efforts. Any word on when we will see a Beta and thereafter a final 1.04 final release? Got an Ottoman Empire to create (unless I get stomped) and want to make sure I don't run into Jimmer's Clever Devil's bug.

best
Mardonius

"Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant" -- James Madison
"Yes, you will win most battles, but if you loose to me you will loose oh so badly that it causes me pain (chortle) just to think of it" - P. Khan

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 35
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/22/2008 11:14:12 PM   
anarchyintheuk

From my personal experience the board game had quite a few bugs. A couple of the rules arguments were definitely game enders. I don't see thte difference here.

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 36
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/23/2008 12:03:58 AM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

quote:

quote:

Are they in Mantis?

Jimmer, be serious man. If you want to have blinders on that's fine, but too many people here value your opinion and this post is seriously misleading. NO game-stopping bugs since the ORIGINAL RELEASE??? ARE YOU SERIOUS???

I think I understand what you are saying. The problems you may be talking about originated in earlier versions, Neverman. Some of the block problems stemmed from not transmitting PBEM moves properly in the PBEM files but that stemmed back from 1.02k pr prev. These non-transmittals allowed enemy forces to occupy the same area without combat. I am preventing this type of move in 1.03 and 1.04 BUT these patches are good at prevention as opposed to cure. I have tried to cure what games I can so that you guys can keep playing (BTW: I thought cleverdevils was on again???).

I apologize for your grief.

< Message edited by Marshall Ellis -- 9/23/2008 12:04:13 AM >

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 37
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/23/2008 12:13:18 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

Without looking at the code, I'm going to say that the bug CleverDevils2 has now "has been present in the code since December."

Not good enough. You said

quote:

The game will be coming up on a year soon and there are still bugs in the game that cause CRASHES to games, meaning some games can't continue due to these bugs that have been around almost a year now.

Show me where there was a bug existing in December (i.e. produce a bug report, a forum post, whatever).

I contend that the vast majority (~100%) of the significant bugs have been eliminated that were logged at or shortly after release. There indeed are new bugs now, some perhaps which were in the code then, but were not reported. There are even a few that got lost in the change of bug-reporting processes. But, I cannot think of any that existed and were documented in 12/2007. In fact, I can't think of any that were logged at 1.02 that aren't fixed in 1.03 (both released versions).

Your error may have been in focusing on the last sentence of my post. If you did that, you might have gotten the impression that I thought there were no bugs present at all. But, taking that sentence without the rest of the paragraph is taking it brutally out of context, which I clearly stated in the first sentence of that paragraph ("... that have clearly existed since the original release.")

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 38
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/23/2008 12:15:36 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

(BTW: I thought cleverdevils was on again???).

No. It's waiting for Gwheelock to become an official beta-tester, so he can get version 1.04. Then, he'll fix the game, give it to me to take my turn, and then re-fix it (since I suspect that every time I move something will break in the Ottoman area).

Post #: 39
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/23/2008 1:18:29 AM   
NeverMan

quote:

quote:

Not good enough. You said

quote:

The game will be coming up on a year soon and there are still bugs in the game that cause CRASHES to games, meaning some games can't continue due to these bugs that have been around almost a year now.

Show me where there was a bug existing in December (i.e. produce a bug report, a forum post, whatever).

I contend that the vast majority (~100%) of the significant bugs have been eliminated that were logged at or shortly after release. There indeed are new bugs now, some perhaps which were in the code then, but were not reported. There are even a few that got lost in the change of bug-reporting processes. But, I cannot think of any that existed and were documented in 12/2007. In fact, I can't think of any that were logged at 1.02 that aren't fixed in 1.03 (both released versions).

Your error may have been in focusing on the last sentence of my post. If you did that, you might have gotten the impression that I thought there were no bugs present at all. But, taking that sentence without the rest of the paragraph is taking it brutally out of context, which I clearly stated in the first sentence of that paragraph ("... that have clearly existed since the original release.")

I understood exactly what you said and I'm submitting THIS bug as having been here a year (since original release). The bug has been around since the original release. You yourself said that this group was probably the first to find it, so there, that's my submission of a bug.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 40
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/23/2008 1:55:35 AM   
Jimmer

With all those bugs outstanding, the only one you can find to back up your assertion is the one I included as an example point?

I guess your lack of examples speaks volumes, then. I'll leave it at that.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 41
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/23/2008 3:03:21 AM   
NeverMan

quote:

With all those bugs outstanding, the only one you can find to back up your assertion is the one I included as an example point?

I guess your lack of examples speaks volumes, then. I'll leave it at that.

You asked for one example, I gave you one. I'll leave it at that.

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 42
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/23/2008 12:55:24 PM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

quote:

(BTW: I thought cleverdevils was on again???).

No. It's waiting for Gwheelock to become an official beta-tester, so he can get version 1.04. Then, he'll fix the game, give it to me to take my turn, and then re-fix it (since I suspect that every time I move something will break in the Ottoman area).

We're about to release a BETA 1.04 so hang in there a bit longer. I have submitted my image to Matrix. We have to test the install but we're just a few days (Programmer days :-)) away.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 43
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/24/2008 8:09:50 PM   
bOrIuM

what is new in 1.04 that worth it ?

Post #: 44
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/24/2008 9:46:34 PM   
obsidiandrag

With all this bantor of games not getting completed etc... I have just one question...  Can anyone think of how many face to face games they completed verses how many attempted to compare to the PBEM versions?  I have a whoping 0% face to face games completed verses double digits of attempted.  I personally have enjoyed crushing the AI just to be able to finish a game finally.  I had even started giving the AI a head start by biding extra points for the country I would play to make the game even more interesting.  Fact is even with bugs you could still play and finish a game, or wait.. save that game at the bug, start another one and when the next version comes out now you have 2 games to finish.  Yes, the AI is going to take some time but I am willing to keep testing and helping develop it into a warmonger that can pose a challange, but as they say, Rome was not built in a day.  As a gamer who has wished for a long time to have more time and the people to get together and just enjoy the game, this is a good start and getting better all the time.

(in reply to bOrIuM)
Post #: 45
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/25/2008 12:14:31 PM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

ORIGINAL: bOrIuM

Check out the change log in Mantis and you should see MANY fixes and AI improvements.
I think it's one of the better patches so far.

The AI plays MUCH better in this version.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to bOrIuM)
Post #: 46
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/26/2008 4:07:54 AM   
bOrIuM

What is the Mantis ? And I dont see the new patch game in registered downloads..

Post #: 47
RE: 1.04 Update - 9/26/2008 12:09:57 PM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

What is the Mantis ? And I dont see the new patch game in registered downloads..

I'm sorry, Mantis is our issues tracker that has been setup for us to use by Delatbabel.

http://eiamantis.babel.com.au

You can go here and see all of the changes in recent upgrades.

BTW: 1.04 is not posted for BETA yet BUT it has been cleared so you should see this any day now...

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to bOrIuM)
Post #: 48
RE: 1.04 Update - 10/2/2008 11:37:29 AM   
iamspamus

Yep. Let's move on. Thanks Marshall E. Keep putting out the patches.

Jason

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

Let's see what happens from here.

Bingo. Move onward.

I am reminded of a quote from the 1976 movie, "The Gumball Rally":

quote:

Franco: And now my friend, the first-a rule of Italian driving.
[Franco rips off his rear-view mirror and throws it out of the car]
Franco: What's-a behind me is not important.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 49
RE: 1.04 Update - 10/2/2008 11:39:00 AM   
iamspamus

Gazfun,

Let me know if you have any openings. I like EIA alot. I have NOT played PBEM yet. I may have another player too.

Thanks,
Jason

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazfun

quote:

Your analogy is void of any real fact since you don't know any of us. In fact, I have noticed that more TGHQers abandon the game then the people that are on here complaining (myself and some others I am in games with included).

You dont know anything about TGHQ at all quiet frankly, since april this year you havent visited us much. And havent said too much to us with only 9 posts since april 2008 and 2 or 3 of those are only files uploading posts. So I hardly think you can say anything with authority.
Out of the 5 games we that had started with us we still have 4 going, and they have been going since around December 07
We had 3 restarts in one game, and that has continued for 6 months and going strong, because of the strong commitment of players.
The fiflth game pulled out as the GM and a few people drifted away from us, due to a combination of personel problems, and email issues, but they didnt keep up with the patches, and so caused a sync problem all the time.
The fourth game GM pulled out and has been replaced by a stronger GM, this games will be continuing, and looking for 1 player, replacement due to personel problems.
We have had a few replacement players but at quiet an acceptable level.
A lot of the guys are having fun with the game actually. We have had hassles with bugs sure but the main thing is that most of us just keep on keeping on, and adjust to suit, that situation, but we find that mostly not to many bugs have come forth since 1.02, and the game has stabilised a lot since 1.03 thanks to Marshall and the testing team.
Thanks guys all of us at TGHQ appreciate it immensly.

(in reply to gazfun)
Post #: 50
RE: 1.04 Update - 10/2/2008 11:48:31 AM   
iamspamus

Hey ME,

Great to hear. More AI fixes!

I do wonder about creating the other Kingdoms, such as Kingdom of N Italy and (I forget the other one.) Have these been added?

Also, at least according to the original game, when creating Poland (for example) you HAD to have Mazovia and then COULD ADD any other (P) provinces to make Poland (minimum of 2 - Mazovia + another). Has this been or will this be changed? Maybe in 1.05 or later?

Thanks,
Jason

quote:

quote:

Check out the change log in Mantis and you should see MANY fixes and AI improvements.
I think it's one of the better patches so far.

The AI plays MUCH better in this version.

Post #: 51
RE: 1.04 Update - 10/2/2008 2:29:29 PM   
Marshall Ellis

We haven't added any more kingdoms nor have we changed any existing kingdom configurations. Apologies here but Poland in EiANW requires two provinces and I don't remember one having to be Masovia??? This is doable. Let us get a few more things added then we can look at this.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to iamspamus)
Post #: 52
RE: 1.04 Update - 10/2/2008 2:40:35 PM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

We haven't added any more kingdoms nor have we changed any existing kingdom configurations. Apologies here but Poland in EiANW requires two provinces and I don't remember one having to be Masovia??? This is doable. Let us get a few more things added then we can look at this.

EiA had Masovia (i.e. Warsaw) as a prerequisite for Poland. Any thoughts on implementing the Polish loyalty marker ? (i.e. even if Poland is conquered you keep the troops).

Regards
David

Post #: 53
RE: 1.04 Update - 10/2/2008 2:45:24 PM   
iamspamus

Well, the issue is that you (the creator of Poland) picked which provinces were added (after the requisite Mazovia). In the one computer game I played as Russia where I created Poland, it added the provinces that I took from Austria and Prussia AND ALL of my own provinces. Nice but a bit much, especially with only a couple of Polish armies. Definitely better with the choice.

Thanks,
Jason

quote:

Post #: 54
RE: 1.04 Update - 10/2/2008 2:52:39 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: iamspamus

Well, the issue is that you (the creator of Poland) picked which provinces were added (after the requisite Mazovia). In the one computer game I played as Russia where I created Poland, it added the provinces that I took from Austria and Prussia AND ALL of my own provinces. Nice but a bit much, especially with only a couple of Polish armies. Definitely better with the choice.

Thanks,
Jason

quote:

I also found this to be an annoyance. I found that Russia didn't have enough manpower or money after all those provinces were auto-added while Poland had plenty extra of both, especially after it's corps were full.

(in reply to iamspamus)
Post #: 55
RE: 1.04 Update - 10/2/2008 2:58:13 PM   
iamspamus

Oh yeah, corps, not armies...sigh.
Jason

quote:

quote:

Thanks,
Jason

quote:

I also found this to be an annoyance. I found that Russia didn't have enough manpower or money after all those provinces were auto-added while Poland had plenty extra of both, especially after it's corps were full.

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 56
RE: 1.04 Update - 10/3/2008 1:37:30 PM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

quote:

Thanks,
Jason

quote:

Interesting???
Is this not normal / expected?

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 57
RE: 1.04 Update - 10/3/2008 3:49:25 PM   
NeverMan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks,
Jason

quote:

Interesting???

Marshall?? This is the THIRD thread on this topic. NO, it's not expected. In "classic EiA" (I won't speak on EiH) you could PICK AND CHOOSE the provinces you wanted for POLAND.

NOTE NOTE NOTE: This is not the case for all Kingdoms but it IS FOR POLAND!!!!!!!!!

There are several other threads where people have directly quoted the rules for you to go and reference.

Post #: 58
RE: 1.04 Update - 10/6/2008 10:44:36 PM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thanks,
Jason

quote:

Interesting???

Marshall?? This is the THIRD thread on this topic. NO, it's not expected. In "classic EiA" (I won't speak on EiH) you could PICK AND CHOOSE the provinces you wanted for POLAND.

NOTE NOTE NOTE: This is not the case for all Kingdoms but it IS FOR POLAND!!!!!!!!!

There are several other threads where people have directly quoted the rules for you to go and reference.

Sorry, my circular mem buffer came ... huh full circle so I must have missed those discussions???

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: 1.04 Update Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI