Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mod Question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Mod Question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mod Question - 9/11/2008 1:00:38 AM   
Jorm

just a quick question about mods for AE

Does any one know of there is a placeholder for a japanese ally ?, ie one that the AI will recognise.

For fun Im interested in adding some Vichy french, german or Thai units. The easiest thing is to just make them japanese units with Thai names etc. However these units will then be supplied through the japanese supply system.

So for potential modding purposes, while the allies have a range of distinct nationalities, does the Japanese side have any slots for a distinct nonhistorical japanese ally

Also if any one has any info on French ships 'interned' at Martinique that would be great. I kow CV Bearn sailed there when france fell and there are mentions of other ships, ive not been able to fidn out any more information on what other French ships where there.

cheers

Post #: 1
RE: Mod Question - 9/11/2008 1:59:40 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorm

just a quick question about mods for AE

Does any one know of there is a placeholder for a japanese ally ?, ie one that the AI will recognise.

For fun Im interested in adding some Vichy french, german or Thai units. The easiest thing is to just make them japanese units with Thai names etc. However these units will then be supplied through the japanese supply system.

So for potential modding purposes, while the allies have a range of distinct nationalities, does the Japanese side have any slots for a distinct nonhistorical japanese ally

There isn't.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 2
RE: Mod Question - 9/11/2008 2:31:12 AM   
Andrew Brown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus
There isn't.

To elaborate slightly - doing this was discussed (for the Germans at least), but did not make the cut (due to other priorities, as always).

Andrew

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Mod Question - 9/11/2008 9:25:09 AM   
Skyland

quote:

Also if any one has any info on French ships 'interned' at Martinique that would be great. I kow CV Bearn sailed there when france fell and there are mentions of other ships, ive not been able to fidn out any more information on what other French ships where there.

cheers

I found the following ships :

Aviso Ville d'Ys (ex HMS Andromede)
CL Emile Bertin and Jeanne D'Arc
CV Bearn
Auxiliary cruiser Barfleur X19, Quercy X20 and Esterel X21
Oiler Var

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 4
RE: Mod Question - 9/11/2008 9:54:56 AM   
Jorm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyland

quote:

cheers

I found the following ships :

Aviso Ville d'Ys (ex HMS Andromede)
CL Emile Bertin and Jeanne D'Arc
CV Bearn
Auxiliary cruiser Barfleur X19, Quercy X20 and Esterel X21
Oiler Var

great, many thanks

i have started gathering data on an alternate history scenario where the japanese have given support to an 'independant' french indochina and Vichy french units at martinique, madagascar, toulon and oran start heading to indochina to begin an indepandant french vichy state that is support by both japan and germany, ie germany as it did historically allows production of french aircraft for vichy french units.
Historically a british commander at gibralta did allow some french ships through for which he was dismissed.

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 5
RE: Mod Question - 9/11/2008 10:58:52 AM   
Skyland

Well french units even Vichy units would never fight actively on Axis side. More historical scenario would be that Indochina forces had been reinforced with others units from Europe and Africa in order to counter japanese expansion (this was planned in 1940 then cancelled after the armistice and later in 1941 to face Thailand).
But anyway, it is at least an opportunity to see more french units in action in the game.

< Message edited by Skyland -- 9/11/2008 12:37:42 PM >

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 6
RE: Mod Question - 9/11/2008 9:34:04 PM   
Skyland

Found 2 others :

Patrol boat Esperanto (ex small cargo ship)
Liner Sagittaire (used as troop transport)

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 7
RE: Mod Question - 9/11/2008 9:36:51 PM   
Terminus

It's wrong to call Bearn a carrier at this time. She was barely capable of operating 1920's aircraft, so she certainly couldn't operate 1940's types. AV at most.

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 8
RE: Mod Question - 9/11/2008 9:38:10 PM   
Dixie

quote:

It's wrong to call Bearn a carrier at this time. She was barely capable of operating 1920's aircraft, so she certainly couldn't operate 1940's types. AV at most.

More like AKV really. She was used as such after all...

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 9
RE: Mod Question - 9/11/2008 9:38:41 PM   
Terminus

Well, yeah...

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 10
RE: Mod Question - 9/12/2008 12:16:19 AM   
Jorm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skyland

Well french units even Vichy units would never fight actively on Axis side. More historical scenario would be that Indochina forces had been reinforced with others units from Europe and Africa in order to counter japanese expansion (this was planned in 1940 then cancelled after the armistice and later in 1941 to face Thailand).
But anyway, it is at least an opportunity to see more french units in action in the game.

Yep, its a complete 'alternate history' idea. Its more an opportunity to get some french ships/aircraft in the game and have some thing for the dutch/commomwealth forces to fight with some partiy in 1941/42.

Some of the reading ive done todate suggets that the vichy forces did indeed put up a show against the allies on a few occasions.
Operation Menace
Operation Catapult
Operation Iron Clad
etc
but i take you comments about Vichy units probably not being very willing on board.

cheers and many thanks for the input :-)

(in reply to Skyland)
Post #: 11
RE: Mod Question - 9/12/2008 12:24:47 AM   
Jorm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

More like AKV really. She was used as such after all...

Well that is how the allied use her and what whe was doing as war broke out ie transferiing 50x SBC-4 for the belgian airforce ?

A book ive just read "INTO THE ASSAULT: Famous Dive-Bomber Aces of the Second World War" by Peter Smith on top dive bomber pilots indicates that the french (Mesny) were in deed using it for carrier trials of <cant recall the typ of dive bomber> into the mid 1930's. So while history shows CV bearn was not a sucessful carrier i think it still can be considered one, even it a poor one. Perhaps on par with HMS HERMES or some CVE's

"The ship is named after a region in southwest France. Bearn’s greatest failing was the lack of a coherent (and funded) naval aviation effort in the French Navy. Bearn spent her time before the fall of France transporting American aircraft to France while her assigned aircraft fought from land bases. By the time modern aircraft were in the pipeline to outfit her, the French Third Republic was falling under the iron tracks of Germany’s panzer divisions. A dream air complement would have seen her carrying five eight-plane squadrons; one of fighters (either locally produced Dewoitines or American-built Grumman "Wildcats", two of navalized Loire-Nieuport LN40 dive bombers, and two of American-export Vought 156F dive bombers (known in American service as the SBC "Vindicator"). "

< Message edited by Jorm -- 9/12/2008 12:41:48 AM >

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 12
RE: Mod Question - 9/12/2008 8:17:39 AM   
Skyland

quote:

Yep, its a complete 'alternate history' idea. Its more an opportunity to get some french ships/aircraft in the game and have some thing for the dutch/commomwealth forces to fight with some partiy in 1941/42.

Some of the reading ive done todate suggets that the vichy forces did indeed put up a show against the allies on a few occasions.
Operation Menace
Operation Catapult
Operation Iron Clad
etc
but i take you comments about Vichy units probably not being very willing on board.

cheers and many thanks for the input :-)

In those cases they were attacked by allies, but they never cooperate with axis forces.

(in reply to Jorm)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Mod Question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI