Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Memoir '44 Expansion

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Memoir '44 Expansion Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/27/2008 9:48:27 PM   
JudgeDredd

Just bought the Eastern Front expansion and I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed.

I had looked at the rules on the Days of Wonder website and thought the maps looked great...so I ordered it. I should've read closer....the contents make no mention of a map.

Nevermind, I thought...I presume they've included enough tiles to make the map "white"....oh no. So what I've ended up with is a green pastures board with the occasional dotted snowy hex...completely destorys the feel for me to be honest.

This is the second time I've bought something from them and the second time I was let down with the contents...the first time I noticed I was short 4 water hexes so couldn't create the Pegasus Bridge map as shown on the map (the very first scenario in the game...the tutorial scenario)

I know it's difficult and they need to keep costs down...but don't show me a damn white map representing the russian front in winter and expect me to recreate it using a French fields map

This is what was shown on the rules page

And this is what I had when I recreated it...

Attachment (2)
Post #: 1
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/27/2008 11:05:31 PM   
Warfare1

Unfortunately, the Eastern Front expansion comes with only new playing pieces and some winter tiles. In order to play on the board you see in the first screen you will need to buy the WINTER/DESERT board expansion.

Can you say milking the system...

MEMOIR 44 BOARD GAME EXPANSION: WINTER/DESERT

http://www.boardgames.ca/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=15914

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memoir_'44

< Message edited by Warfare1 -- 8/27/2008 11:06:19 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/27/2008 11:05:37 PM   
V22 Osprey

That's kinda sad,it's like they are trying to cheap.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/28/2008 8:20:10 AM   
JudgeDredd

One could say "milking the system"...and they wouldn't be far off. Why on earth would you create an Eastern Front expansion and sell the winter board seperately (which has most if not all the scenarios fighting over such a landscape)??

I'd rather have payed a bit more for the expansion...I mean, it's going to cost be MORE just in postage! FFS!

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 4
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/28/2008 9:16:30 AM   
Adam Parker

IIRC the board came out long before the expansion.

Still if there was no mention of that board though, especially given the pics, I'd senty them a note Judge and see what they say.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/28/2008 9:44:24 AM   
JudgeDredd

You know what...I had a great big post all ready to send, and damned Matrix website threw an error, so it's lost!!

Suffice to say their website for the Eastern Front expansion does list the contents of the box and the map is not listed. But I didn't think anything strange about it's omittence...I mean, the rules booklet showed winter maps, and Memoir '44 didn't ship with winter maps!

Looks like I shall have to buy the map!

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 6
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/28/2008 1:36:10 PM   
Adam Parker

I'm still with you on this one, the rule book shows the pic... worth a shot in seeing what they say.

(PS: I hate that about big posts too on some forums, I get so paranoid with time outs  )

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/28/2008 1:44:20 PM   
Grell

I feel for you JD really.

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 8
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/29/2008 2:37:08 AM   
hadberz

Has there been a reprint for that map? It's been sold out for some time now. I would like one as well.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 9
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/29/2008 4:56:34 AM   
cdbeck

Yeah, the map came first, for all those amateur winter map people. The map also gives you some extra scenarios, I believe, and some other types of terrain. Fear not though, I have heard that the Eastern Expansion is one of the best.

I have the Eastern Front, but not the other map. The lack of snow does not bother me, as I tend to think more about rules, unit types, and new cards when I want new stuff (aesthetics hardly factors into my boardgaming experience, old Magic the Gathering trait). But I can see how some might be less excited.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 10
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/29/2008 7:19:48 AM   
105mm Howitzer

I think the underside of the winter map has desert/sand terrain, with a couple of new scenarios.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 11
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/29/2008 7:51:00 AM   
JudgeDredd

I hope they do reprint it...I would like one. Aesthetics are very important to my gaming experience....it's the same if it's a computer game (couldn't play Advanced Tactics because of the names issued to factions!)

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 12
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/29/2008 8:49:51 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Maybe try EBay, JD, I've seen stuff for MEM44 offered there as well.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 13
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/29/2008 10:19:48 PM   
JudgeDredd

Couldn't find one on there, 105. Thx anyways.

Days of Wonder did get back to me and told me they were releasing a schedule in September showing upcoming releases and reprints...and they have said there will be a reprint of the map...so I'll wait until then. I have other scenarios to play anyway...there's a load on the website as well, downloadable ones.

Me missing the fact that there is no board with that expansion is very much like Matrix and not knowing whether a manual is present in the box (in other words, not as clear as can be) but the information was there if I had looked hard enough...so I guess I'll just have to look hard enough next time.

The PITA about it is I could've got the Pacific Expansion and been happy, as the original board can be used with those scenarios!

Anyway, once bitten and all that.

Anyway, shock news. I got fed up with my daughter always playing the Germans and, thinking that the game may be a little bias to the "defender", I decided to replay the scenario we played last night in which she, again, played the Germans and won...again. So tonight I played as the Germans and the git beat me. Seriously, this is no laughing matter. She's only 7!

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 14
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/29/2008 11:32:43 PM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Couldn't find one on there, 105. Thx anyways.

Days of Wonder did get back to me and told me they were releasing a schedule in September showing upcoming releases and reprints...and they have said there will be a reprint of the map...so I'll wait until then. I have other scenarios to play anyway...there's a load on the website as well, downloadable ones.

Me missing the fact that there is no board with that expansion is very much like Matrix and not knowing whether a manual is present in the box (in other words, not as clear as can be) but the information was there if I had looked hard enough...so I guess I'll just have to look hard enough next time.

The PITA about it is I could've got the Pacific Expansion and been happy, as the original board can be used with those scenarios!

Anyway, once bitten and all that.

Anyway, shock news. I got fed up with my daughter always playing the Germans and, thinking that the game may be a little bias to the "defender", I decided to replay the scenario we played last night in which she, again, played the Germans and won...again. So tonight I played as the Germans and the git beat me. Seriously, this is no laughing matter. She's only 7!

No one has had it in stock for awhile but Thoughthammer.com is taking preorders (No other sites seemed to be).. at a discounted price for $10.20 and showing availabilty next month.

http://www.thoughthammer.com/memoir-44-winterdesert-board-map-p-824.html

If you really like Memoir 44 you should consider Battlelore. Its considered the ultimate evolution of the Memoir system and, contrary to popular belief, you can play historically based scenarios if Fantasy isnt quite your forte. Though for the maximum gaming experience it really plays better with all those added layers. It builds on them nicely so its still easy to get into.

I know Memoir 44 has a more appealing "theme" to you and I... but your daughter may (or may not) find the monsters and magic more fun. Those are in addition to the regular soldiers and medieval knights etc....

Battlelore is such a hot commodity that Days of Wonder recently sold the entire product line to Fantasy Flight Games who intends to one up the quality and pace of expansions over what Memoir/Battlelore already has (Not to mention longterm bringing the Memoir/Battlelore system to the XBOX/PS3 like their other titles).

Thats also great news for Memoir as apparantly Days of Wonder had neither the money or staff to focus on more Expansions to it with as many successful IPs as they had. Now they are suppose to step up on Memoir... maybe take it a step closer (or even beyond) what Battlelore is.

Time will tell but this is suppose to ultimately benefit both game series by seperating them company wize (According to DOW/FFG anyway)...

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 15
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/30/2008 12:28:27 AM   
hadberz

Guess I better get in gear and finish painting my Battlelore army. There's no telling what all FFG will be releasing. Hopefully alot of new miniatures 

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 16
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/30/2008 3:17:17 AM   
tmccarron

Heh, considering the picture from the rulebook looks like it came straight from the vassal mod, you'd be hard pressed to make the actual boardgame look like that even if you did have all the tiles needed :)

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 17
RE: Memoir '44 Expansion - 8/30/2008 1:56:49 PM   
105mm Howitzer

Heh, heh, sounds like she's getting ready to attend West Point ( or any other Academy) If this keeps up, she's make a solid wargamer.

[/quote]

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Memoir '44 Expansion Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote