Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wargame

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wargame Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wargame - 8/19/2008 9:41:37 PM   
invernomuto

Hi guys,
in your opinion, what is the best tactical WW2 wargame ever created?

In my (short) wargamer life I tried:
1) Combat mission series (BO, BtB and AK). Masterpieces, but a little too complicated for me. I usually get lost expecially in great battles. Many units and 3D graphics are a knock out combination for me :) . However, I'll surely try the WW2 module for CM:SF engine.
2) Panzer Command Series: a good and promising series with a solid gameplay. The next charpter could easily be a masterpiece.
3) Close Combat: COI: I've bought this title recently, after reading the some entusiastic review on the net (expecially wargamer one, very well done!). I totally missed the Close combat series in the 90' (ok, my shame!). What can I say of COI? Another masterpiece. Before COI, I never thought I could really like an RTS. I was wrong.
4) JT:Campaign Series: good game, but even if the scale is tactical (250 mt x hex) you have a lots of units to control in medium-big scenarios. It's quite an operational IMHO.

Others games that I cannot miss?

Post #: 1
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 8/19/2008 10:27:33 PM   
Titanwarrior89

You won't get people around here to agree on every game so.................It's not developed yet.  However there is some very good ones.  The ones you mentioned and Steel panthers world at war.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to invernomuto)
Post #: 2
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 8/20/2008 1:00:04 AM   
Sarge

CMBB tops my all time list

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 3
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 8/20/2008 1:11:51 AM   
GJK

Boardgame: ASL, no doubt
PC: I'm with Sarge, CMBB

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 4
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 8/20/2008 7:07:53 PM   
V22 Osprey

Tactical:
SPWAW
Combat Mission ENTIRE SERIES

Campaign Series

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 5
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 8/20/2008 8:07:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

If you haven't tried SPWAW (or any kind of SP) then you definitely should.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 6
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 8/22/2008 8:41:27 AM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

what is the best tactical WW2 wargame ever created?

Do you want a playable game (not so hard) or a monster game?

If your answer is the second one, as far as I know Advanced Squad Leader is the best choice, I bought the starter kit a short time ago, because anyone that play it speaks in the same way as GJK.
ASL is a great game but you pay attention because it's very tough in the beginning.

It's a bordgame (Face to Face) but you can play online or PBeM (VASSAL program) as well.

Non ha paragoni, ciao!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 8/23/2008 1:01:11 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper

quote:

what is the best tactical WW2 wargame ever created?

Do you want a playable game (not so hard) or a monster game?

If your answer is the second one, as far as I know Advanced Squad Leader is the best choice, I bought the starter kit a short time ago, because anyone that play it speaks in the same way as GJK.
ASL is a great game but you pay attention because it's very tough in the beginning.

It's a bordgame (Face to Face) but you can play online or PBeM (VASSAL program) as well.

Non ha paragoni, ciao!

Ditto on this. I've wasted at least a decade if not 2 waiting and/or trying to find a replacement for ASL before I finally asked myself why?

The Starter Kits eliminate the only real objection anyone could have... the complexity. Now its super simple to get started.

Vassal has evolved enough to make itself more than usable as a PC way to play ASL.

And honestly, I've always prefered understanding how the game mechanics worked anyway. Which, of course, is the one extra thing you have to do with ASL..since it is the player enforcing them, not the computer (Though VASL seems to have added quite a few tools to assist).

ASL Starter Kit #1 only has 10 pages of rules (Thats not a typo) and thats with many illustrations including at least one whole page example of play.

They also give it away online. Mine was something like $18.00 brand new so you have to give MMP some credit for making it about as approachable now as anyone could wish for.

+3 for ASL

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 8
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 8/23/2008 11:07:44 AM   
Krasny

For a boardgame I'd go with Combat Commander from GMT. It's a simple fun game.

PC, CMBB. No brainer really, nothing can touch it. Not ever MC Hammer.

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 9
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 8/23/2008 4:17:12 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

MP campaign in Close Combat 2. You can take your pick of Arnhem, Eindhoven or Nijmegen (or the whole enchilada). Best computer gaming experience that I've ever had. Nothing else like it, anywhere, including the other CC games. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to Krasny)
Post #: 10
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 8/25/2008 12:38:08 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

The Starter Kits eliminate the only real objection anyone could have... the complexity. Now its super simple to get started.

I don't think "super simple" but surely it's approachable now

quote:

Mine was something like $18.00 brand new

In Italy about € 30 (around) but it is definitely a deal!

OT: Veldor, Are you playing it yet?

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 11
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 8/31/2008 5:31:53 PM   
rich12545

I played cmbo and now play cmak.  Never bought cmbb.  Just wondering why everyone thinks it's so much better than cmak.  Is it just the theater or is there something about the gameplay that makes it better?

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 12
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 8/31/2008 6:39:44 PM   
GJK

The theater and TO&E's is all. The gameplay is the same.

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 13
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 8/31/2008 8:06:30 PM   
KG Erwin

I may be somewhat biased, but to me, SPWAW is THE WWII-era tactical game. Nevermind my meager contributions to the Screaming Eagles Mega Campaign and the USMC OOB, OK?

Honestly, though, the expansiveness of the whole package makes it a true classic. When programmer Michael Wood came back to assist in the development of the Enhanced version, it got even better.

The twists and turns this game has taken over the years is a fascinating story in of itself, and I'm proud to have been a participant in some of it.

Post #: 14
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 9/2/2008 5:29:09 PM   
Kuokkanen

My vote for SPWAW. It's the best tactical level combat sim of WW2 era I've played (still haven't tried WinSPWW2). Try it, only cost is time and bandwidth to download it
http://www.steelpanthersonline.com

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 15
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 9/2/2008 5:43:55 PM   
Zakhal

SPWAW megacampaigns are the best propably allthough the graphics look like pixelated mess nowadays. After that combat mission. 

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 9/2/2008 5:44:00 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 16
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 9/2/2008 10:54:59 PM   
Lützow

It's a shame one can't combine mega campaigns with WinSPWW2. At 1600x1200 resolution this game looks better than SPWAW and JTCS.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 17
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 9/3/2008 2:18:20 AM   
Mad Cow

winSPWW2

Post #: 18
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 9/3/2008 2:19:00 AM   
Mad Cow

Oh and CMBB is the best tactical ww2 game I've ever played. And I don't think its all that complicated. 

(in reply to Mad Cow)
Post #: 19
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 9/3/2008 2:20:45 AM   
Mad Cow

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich12545

I played cmbo and now play cmak.  Never bought cmbb.  Just wondering why everyone thinks it's so much better than cmak.  Is it just the theater or is there something about the gameplay that makes it better?

In CMBB there is a greater timeframe (41-45), and a big variation in equipment. Plus it's the theater where the decisive battles of the European Theater were fought.

And it has T-34/85's! :D

edit: now that I think about it, I'm not sure what the CMAK timeframe was.

< Message edited by Mad Cow -- 9/3/2008 2:21:24 AM >

(in reply to rich12545)
Post #: 20
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 9/3/2008 6:17:34 AM   
ANZAC_Tack

Im been a close combat junkie since 96, having a break with CoD4 for a short interlude, CoI was good(i tested it), try CCMT maybe for modern feel, but its 1 day battles ONLY!

try ur older CCV invasion normandy, a bit old now($10 aud bargin bins by SSI), but go to sites like CloseCombatOnline, it has FREE mods and maps made by gamers,changes everything, russian front, pacific theatre, even now kokoda trail,israel 1967, dozens of war periods. soon CCIV is getting a rebuild,not sure of release. 64 interconnecting maps,most new,some new units and all XP/vista issues sorted.called WaR.released by matrix at a guess december 17th????? all i dont know,just guessing.

ANZAC_Tack

(in reply to Mad Cow)
Post #: 21
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 9/3/2008 2:19:55 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Cow

quote:

I played cmbo and now play cmak. Never bought cmbb. Just wondering why everyone thinks it's so much better than cmak. Is it just the theater or is there something about the gameplay that makes it better?

In CMBB there is a greater timeframe (41-45), and a big variation in equipment. Plus it's the theater where the decisive battles of the European Theater were fought.

edit: now that I think about it, I'm not sure what the CMAK timeframe was.

40-45, if you include all the theatres. And as for CMBB, what about the JS-2? :)

I once made a cool meeting-engagement scenario with a several Sturmmörsers (Sturmmörseren?) in convoy and moving towards a village, protected by some other armour, armoured cars and troops in trucks against a mixed Soviet force with a couple of JS-2s. Look out if one of those huge rockets lands anywhere near you!

As for CMBB vs CMAK...they are very similar but CMAK is technically slightly better. A lot of people just like the Eastern Front aspect of CMBB.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (2)

< Message edited by Neilster -- 9/3/2008 2:25:17 PM >

(in reply to Mad Cow)
Post #: 22
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 9/3/2008 3:11:57 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

quote:

And it misses T-35 becouse of game engine limitations.

To me, game killer is crappy camera controls. Many RTS games (and Ground Control in particular) have better camera controls than CM serie

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Mad Cow)
Post #: 23
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 9/5/2008 4:51:44 AM   
Mad Cow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

quote:

And it misses T-35 becouse of game engine limitations.

To me, game killer is crappy camera controls. Many RTS games (and Ground Control in particular) have better camera controls than CM serie

It's not the best camera, that is for sure, but it didn't detract from the game very much.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 24
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 9/10/2008 2:38:29 AM   
madgamer2

give up now before it is to late. There is no such thing as the perfect game. I used to believe this and have a whole closet full of games that I thought were it...they were not.

Madgamer

Post #: 25
RE: Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wa... - 9/10/2008 8:57:54 AM   
Shaun Wallace

quote:

Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wargame

Hmm, if the operative word in the post was tactical then the CC series is in the lead and then some, far from perfect, but when its being used by several branches of the military to train with, you have to ask if its something out of the ordinary! In terms of tactical and reactive AI, theres nothing even close ;)

Of course thats just MHO lol!

Sulla

Nec amicus officium nec hostis iniuriam mihi intulit, quo in toto non reddidi. - Sulla
----------------------
http://www.closecombat.org/csoforums/portal.php

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Looking for the "perfect" tactical WW2 wargame Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI