Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is there a CSA strategy that works?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Is there a CSA strategy that works? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is there a CSA strategy that works? - 8/19/2008 4:26:19 PM   
GBS

Once we get to summer of 62 the union can muster 4 80,000+ man armys and the south is spread so thin with 4000 miles of coast line, the Mississppi river and Virginia and tennessee to defend. Is this game only playable with a chance of success from the union side?
In my june 62 turn I was attacked in Richmond, Manassas, Humbolt, pensicola, and south Louisana. The first three battles I was outnumbered 8 to 5. I barely repulsed McClellend at Richmond but gave up stragegic losses at Humbolt and Manasses with Polk and Jackson as ACs. I say there is no way that the union army could have pulled that off. I don't have enough army to defend against all that. And BTW, I don't see superior southern leadership reflected in any way. Just what I am seeing.
Post #: 1
RE: Is there a CSA strategy that works? - 8/19/2008 8:10:20 PM   
Bo Rearguard

A lot depends on luck. I'm just finishing up a game against the Union AI where I basically stymied the Union offensive in 1862 after a winter in which few Union generals got the initiative. By bringing up the units trained to veteran status during that breathing spell I was pretty much able to hold my ground all summer. It also helped that Grant tried to take Shiloh two times without doing any cavalry recon whatsoever. The + 3 attack and -1 defense mods for unspotted reacting units came in mighty handy in those battles.

Keep the militia off the front lines as much as possible. Damaged vets can be replaced. Destroyed militia can't.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 2
RE: Is there a CSA strategy that works? - 8/19/2008 8:21:55 PM   
Erik Rutins

You might want to read this and the other discussions in the "War Room":

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1880479

However, in general the South can certainly hold its own. If you are defending Richmond already in the Summer of 1862 then either the Union is doing something very right or you've missed some opportunities. Is this against the AI or a human player?

There's no question that the South has a tough job to do, but the Union does as well. Your goal is not to win every battle, but to fight battles at the right places to hurt and delay the Union while sapping its political will. Don't keep Army Commanders like Polk around any longer than absolutely necessary. Try to get some better ACs as soon as you can and use good defensive ACs like Beauregard early on in key defensive terrain. Exploit your cavalry advantage and if the Union is lax on the naval side, build extra raiders and even an ironclad or two to delay their Mississippi strategy and keep their PP loss rate up.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 3
RE: Is there a CSA strategy that works? - 8/19/2008 9:05:25 PM   
GBS

Thanks for the ideas. I always play against the AI, a good one I might add. Perhaps I need to be more agressive in the New Kent area. All I have done in Virginia is build forts and try to grow my army under the best possible leaders. I don't see how one can keep control of Manassas and Winnchester. Just not enough men, especially when Richmond is threatened.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Is there a CSA strategy that works? - 8/19/2008 10:12:38 PM   
Bo Rearguard

I've found a strategy that works well against the Union AI. Grab an enclave in a border state, like Springfield MO, London, KN, or Charleston WV. Rather than taking them, the Union AI will usually post cavalry outside of these to keep an eye on them and scout them out from time to time. That's cavalry taken from where it's really most needed, with the offensive Union armies. Gives the South a bit of a scouting edge.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

(in reply to GBS)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Is there a CSA strategy that works? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI