Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Olympics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Olympics Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Olympics - 8/9/2008 10:38:24 AM   
Zap

Who's going to be watching the most of the Olympics this year? I have more interest this year than in years past. I believe the fact that they are in China is the reason for my peeked interest.

My favorites will be

1)Track and Field= the shorter sprints and the Shot Put and Discus throw
2)swimming

The only draw back is that you have to pay to view many of the events. Oh to go back in time when all the events were carried by ABC,NBC,CBS

< Message edited by Zap -- 8/9/2008 10:43:57 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Olympics - 8/9/2008 12:48:24 PM   
Goblin

quote:

The streaming video at www.nbcolympics.com is very nice. It looks like they're showing most (if not all) of the events in real time. It's the full events. I just watched the fencing (women's saber--the US have placed 3 in the top 4--finals are in a few hours), and sampled a bit of other sports. The video is very watchable.

I think they also have them to be watched after the event is over, so you don't need to stay up.

Quite nice. And no annoying "up close and personal" moments. I think it's going to work very well, particularly for the sports that don't get a lot of time.

Posted by Philistine at Madcows. Haven't tried the link, but likely will to try and catch archery, fencing, and other less covered sports.

Goblin

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 2
RE: Olympics - 8/9/2008 12:56:54 PM   
Goblin

Ok, just watched some fencing. Philistine is right, it is watchable video. Look for the little red 'live' symbol next to an events name in the left-hand column.

Goblin

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 3
RE: Olympics - 8/9/2008 12:57:38 PM   
Zap

Thank you Goblin, will give it a try.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 4
RE: Olympics - 8/9/2008 12:59:28 PM   
Goblin

They have a tv and online guide too. I just tried to catch some judo, which had a live symbol next to it, and it told me to check the guide, so they may not be accurate with the symbols.

Goblin

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 5
RE: Olympics - 8/9/2008 1:10:09 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goblin

Haven't tried the link, but likely will to try and catch archery, fencing, and other less covered sports.

I'd really dislike catching some archery. Might hurt a bit.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 6
RE: Olympics - 8/9/2008 1:13:14 PM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

quote:

Haven't tried the link, but likely will to try and catch archery, fencing, and other less covered sports.

I'd really dislike catching some archery. Might hurt a bit.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 7
RE: Olympics - 8/9/2008 1:57:53 PM   
Grell

Hi Goblin,

Thank you for the link.

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 8
RE: Olympics - 8/9/2008 2:25:50 PM   
Grell

Oh well, only people in th USA can watch that. <sigh>

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 9
RE: Olympics - 8/9/2008 10:09:06 PM   
DAWUSS

I periodically watch it if it happens to be on TV, but I don't follow it that much. If they had American Football as an Olympic sport I might watch a bit more, though...

It's amazing that every once in a while you can get excited over prerecorded stuff

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 10
RE: Olympics - 8/9/2008 10:21:35 PM   
Hertston

I'll watch the boxing and, because it's the Mrs's obsession, much of the cycling. Not a lot else, probably. Track and field bores me to tears.

(in reply to DAWUSS)
Post #: 11
RE: Olympics - 8/10/2008 1:08:13 AM   
Mac67

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

I'll watch the boxing and, because it's the Mrs's obsession, much of the cycling. Not a lot else, probably. Track and field bores me to tears.

I will be following the boxing. We are supposed to be fielding a great team this year. Who knows, maybe it will spawn another Amir Khan, or God help us another Audley "A-Farce" Harrison

I will be following the women's gymnastics too. Very closely

"If you are going through hell, keep going" - Winston Churchill

The Rose and Crown, a forum for British Gentlemen

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 12
RE: Olympics - 8/10/2008 4:58:35 PM   
Gem35

quote:

Track and field bores me to tears.

I love Track and Field!!

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 13
RE: Olympics - 8/10/2008 6:32:21 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Who's going to be watching the most of the Olympics this year? I have more interest this year than in years past. I believe the fact that they are in China is the reason for my peeked interest.

Actually, I'm the opposite. I lost interest of sorts because it is in China. Politically correct or not, in my opinion the Olympic Committee should never have considered China for a number of very good reasons.

No I'm not trying to be political on the forum, and yes I recognize that watching it for the games themselves makes sense on a sports level.

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 8/10/2008 6:34:45 PM >

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 14
RE: Olympics - 8/10/2008 7:24:20 PM   
Brigz

quote:

Ok, just watched some fencing. Philistine is right, it is watchable video. Look for the little red 'live' symbol next to an events name in the left-hand column.

Goblin

I was very interested in watching fencing during the last olympics and was really dissapointed in the style they use now. I expected to see some "fencing" but all it really was, was two guys charging at each other and one would score a touche'. It was more like jousting than fencing. Very little foil work. Very dissapointing. At least that was how it was in men's fencing, I don't know if the women do that too. Is it still the same?

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 15
RE: Olympics - 8/10/2008 9:18:45 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

quote:

Actually, I'm the opposite. I lost interest of sorts because it is in China. Politically correct or not, in my opinion the Olympic Committee should never have considered China for a number of very good reasons.

No I'm not trying to be political on the forum, and yes I recognize that watching it for the games themselves makes sense on a sports level.

Well said that man. 100% correct. The OC needs to have a look at themselves.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 16
RE: Olympics - 8/10/2008 9:40:57 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

quote:

quote:

Double ditto. IMHO, they might as well have it in Zimbabwe. The biggest difference between the two is there are not many nations in financial debt to Zimbabwe (as the U.S. is to China). At least there would be clean air in Africa. Aha, an ecological thread.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 17
RE: Olympics - 8/10/2008 11:00:24 PM   
IronWarrior

Human rights, politics, liberties, corruption, and religious issues aside... (although I totally agree with you)

I'm boycotting the Olympics because of what they're doing to baseball! A shame that London won't get to see one of the greatest sports in 2012. Unbelievable...

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 18
RE: Olympics - 8/11/2008 9:33:00 AM   
Zap

So far the Olympics have not dissapionted. Swimming has been great to watch.

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 19
RE: Olympics - 8/11/2008 10:24:08 AM   
Neilster

This time it's pronounced "Rimprics". Get it right everybody

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 20
RE: Olympics - 8/11/2008 11:08:09 AM   
Goblin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

quote:

Goblin

I was very interested in watching fencing during the last olympics and was really dissapointed in the style they use now. I expected to see some "fencing" but all it really was, was two guys charging at each other and one would score a touche'. It was more like jousting than fencing. Very little foil work. Very dissapointing. At least that was how it was in men's fencing, I don't know if the women do that too. Is it still the same?

Yes, its about the same. I saw Ward face the Russian girl. More footwork than in the mens matches in general, but still each point was scored very quickly. More swashbuckling would be cool.

Goblin

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 21
RE: Olympics - 8/11/2008 12:30:37 PM   
105mm Howitzer

For my money, I much prefer Winter Olympics. SOme of those disciplines in the Summer ones just don't do it for me, sorry. ( like diving, synchro.swimming, ping-pong, etc..)

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 22
RE: Olympics - 8/11/2008 12:54:22 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: 105mm Howitzer

For my money, I much prefer Winter Olympics. SOme of those disciplines in the Summer ones just don't do it for me, sorry. ( like diving, synchro.swimming, ping-pong, etc..)

Mostly I agree. Better physics in the Winter Olympics.

People always forget that most of the Summer Olympic events are pretty tedious and often even the ones that aren't are only good in small doses. Would you watch swimming every weekend? I think not. Some of them are pretty anachronistic too...I mean the "Modern" Pentathlon reflects the skills needed by a pre-mechanisation cavalry soldier on the run behind enemy lines! I'm not joking.

That's why that dodgy entity known as the IOC included superficially popular sports of dubious value like Beach Volleyball (which incidentally they were going to hold in Tiananmen Square until someone pointed out that this might not be such a good idea. I don't know about you but nothing says sun, fun, beach-sports and good times to me like Tiananmen Square )

And how about that opening ceremony? Spectacular apart from all the boring bits and all the performers looked terrified that they'd screw-up. One girl was picking her nose and one of the Chinese character blocks was up when he should have been down, so they were probably shot in the back of the neck, possibly with the concussions disguised by the closing fireworks I thought the combination of cute little kiddies and robotic, jack-booted, goose-stepping soldiers was a lovely touch too.

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 8/11/2008 2:20:30 PM >

(in reply to 105mm Howitzer)
Post #: 23
RE: Olympics - 8/11/2008 2:15:45 PM   
Grell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

This time it's pronounced "Rimprics". Get it right everybody

Cheers, Neilster

LOL, Rimprics! Hehe!

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 24
RE: Olympics - 8/11/2008 2:19:58 PM   
Feltan

quote:

quote:

quote:

Goblin

Yes, its about the same. I saw Ward face the Russian girl. More footwork than in the mens matches in general, but still each point was scored very quickly. More swashbuckling would be cool.

Goblin

The women's foil medal matches were very good indeed, as were men's epee.

IMHO, sabre fencing has changed (declined?) with the advent of electric scoring -- it is boring, and seems to depend on "twitch" reflexes rather than fencing skill.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 25
RE: Olympics - 8/12/2008 1:28:25 AM   
Brigz

quote:

quote:

quote:

Goblin

Goblin

Yeah. The least they could do is have to carve a "Z" on the opponents chest to end the match.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 26
RE: Olympics - 8/12/2008 9:51:17 AM   
Zap

Dave Briggs said: Yeah. The least they could do is have to carve a "Z" on the opponents chest to end the match.

But could'nt they up it one skill level higher and carve "Zap" on the opponents chest.

Phelps the American swimmer is dominating the field! Three golds so far and 2 or 3 worlds records to-boot

< Message edited by Zap -- 8/12/2008 10:12:39 AM >

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 27
RE: Olympics - 8/13/2008 1:12:48 AM   
Gem35

Misty May and Kerri Walsh, if anything else just watch those two in their skimpy bikinis destroy the field in Women's beach Vollyball.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 28
RE: Olympics - 8/13/2008 2:36:20 AM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

quote:

Track and field bores me to tears.

I love Track and Field!!

I Participated in track and field in high school thats where my interest comes from for this sport. Came from a small school.
Track and Field had a difficult time finding interested people. Though it did make it possible for the less talented atheltes to particpate. Our team did not have anyone to run the mile race. I threw the shot put. The coach asked me to run it. It was kind of embarassing when I had a quater of a mile to go but the rest of the runners had already crossed the finish line! I can laugh about it now.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 29
RE: Olympics - 8/13/2008 4:34:01 PM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

quote:

quote:

Double ditto. IMHO, they might as well have it in Zimbabwe. The biggest difference between the two is there are not many nations in financial debt to Zimbabwe (as the U.S. is to China). At least there would be clean air in Africa. Aha, an ecological thread.

Wow! that is so awesome to hear because I love the olympics. I watch each and everyone of them except the moscow olympics in '84 or '88 whenever they were. So, this will be the very first ever olympics with Americans in it that I have 0 interest because of what China stands for. Although I would have to say I am rooting for Michael Phelps

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Olympics Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI