Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

50 bucks to spend...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> 50 bucks to spend... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
50 bucks to spend... - 7/30/2008 4:10:51 AM   
wesy

Torn between WW2 RtV and GG Wbts. I liked COS a lot so WW2 RtV looks promising, but am also looking at ACW game with not too much micro management as well. if you could buy one - which would it be? I'll probably get both eventually, but just wanted to see what you folks thought.
Post #: 1
RE: 50 bucks to spend... - 7/30/2008 4:55:23 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: wesy

Torn between WW2 RtV and GG Wbts. I liked COS a lot so WW2 RtV looks promising, but am also looking at ACW game with not too much micro management as well. if you could buy one - which would it be? I'll probably get both eventually, but just wanted to see what you folks thought.

In an ideal world you could play both demo's and then decide for yourself. Potentially I'd like to buy just about every single Matrix Game. And because of that I don't end up buying nearly as many as I should because I simply remain undecided for too long and then end up occupied with other titles. That's probably especially worse for those of us who play other genre games since predominately they all have demo's and its easier to get sold and thus spend your $50 elsewhere. I think thats a factor Matrix often overlooks.. Sure there isn't much competition, if any, between their games and others in the genre... But they still compete for the same $$$ many of us have to spend amongst several gaming genres.

So I'll likely never know the enjoyment a game like GG Wbts is to play.

The only reason I'll crack and buy the likes of Heroes of Stalingrad or WW2 RTV is for purely nostalgic feeding purposes. It's power over me is just too strong for my normal principles of responsible money management to apply.

I really do find it tiring trying to read/research whether or not I might enjoy a particular Matrix title. It's like doing work when I should be playing something and having fun. I need to post threads like yours myself in at least 6 different forums here to help decide whether or not I should buy the particular game... But in the end our tastes are all custom and personal. I love Matrix Games many dislike and dislike other Matrix Games many love..

Yes supposedly Matrix has tried demos in the past and they haven't helped, or possibly even hurt... But for starters thats not a customer friendly strategy, even if it is a better financial one. For the part of my worthless opinion I still think the demos, if unhelpful, were only because they were either poorely done, or for a not-so-great game in the first place.

If Matrix put out a well done tutorial-style demo for a masterpiece like LNL:HOS I just cannot believe that it would do anything but massively help along sales. Any other result just means the demo wasn't made right. At the end of the day though the first reason they won't do that is because it'll be thought that it'll sell well enough without (And it will but how much better would it sell WITH a demo). It's only when a title has done poorly already (Say HL) that a demo sprouts up. And then there is the time to make one... When the game itself isnt getting done fast enough... Well I won't argue how much easier/quicker it would be to make a demo if you kept that in mind during the whole coding process because thats also true for dealing with multiple or widescreen resolutions which also seems to elude just about every wargame dev.

Maybe I just don't feel like I like the average computer wargame enough to buy blind like many of the rest of you. In that regard I am truly jealous as I most certainly have been missing out on some great games.

Now if only I had a way to figure out which Matrix Games those were...which brings us full circle to what I started my response with....

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 2
RE: 50 bucks to spend... - 7/30/2008 5:33:37 AM   
Fred98

quote:

WW2 RtV looks promising.....

it is on my short list too.

(in reply to wesy)
Post #: 3
RE: 50 bucks to spend... - 7/30/2008 6:47:41 AM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veldor

quote:

In an ideal world you could play both demo's and then decide for yourself. Potentially I'd like to buy just about every single Matrix Game. And because of that I don't end up buying nearly as many as I should because I simply remain undecided for too long and then end up occupied with other titles. That's probably especially worse for those of us who play other genre games since predominately they all have demo's and its easier to get sold and thus spend your $50 elsewhere. I think thats a factor Matrix often overlooks.. Sure there isn't much competition, if any, between their games and others in the genre... But they still compete for the same $$$ many of us have to spend amongst several gaming genres.

So I'll likely never know the enjoyment a game like GG Wbts is to play.

The only reason I'll crack and buy the likes of Heroes of Stalingrad or WW2 RTV is for purely nostalgic feeding purposes. It's power over me is just too strong for my normal principles of responsible money management to apply.

I really do find it tiring trying to read/research whether or not I might enjoy a particular Matrix title. It's like doing work when I should be playing something and having fun. I need to post threads like yours myself in at least 6 different forums here to help decide whether or not I should buy the particular game... But in the end our tastes are all custom and personal. I love Matrix Games many dislike and dislike other Matrix Games many love..

Yes supposedly Matrix has tried demos in the past and they haven't helped, or possibly even hurt... But for starters thats not a customer friendly strategy, even if it is a better financial one. For the part of my worthless opinion I still think the demos, if unhelpful, were only because they were either poorely done, or for a not-so-great game in the first place.

If Matrix put out a well done tutorial-style demo for a masterpiece like LNL:HOS I just cannot believe that it would do anything but massively help along sales. Any other result just means the demo wasn't made right. At the end of the day though the first reason they won't do that is because it'll be thought that it'll sell well enough without (And it will but how much better would it sell WITH a demo). It's only when a title has done poorly already (Say HL) that a demo sprouts up. And then there is the time to make one... When the game itself isnt getting done fast enough... Well I won't argue how much easier/quicker it would be to make a demo if you kept that in mind during the whole coding process because thats also true for dealing with multiple or widescreen resolutions which also seems to elude just about every wargame dev.

Maybe I just don't feel like I like the average computer wargame enough to buy blind like many of the rest of you. In that regard I am truly jealous as I most certainly have been missing out on some great games.

Now if only I had a way to figure out which Matrix Games those were...which brings us full circle to what I started my response with....

After reading some of these other threads, I'm not sure I ever want to buy a demo again.

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 4
RE: 50 bucks to spend... - 7/30/2008 8:05:09 AM   
Fred98

The other way to showcase a game, other than a demo, is with a youtube video.

The few that I have seen have been produced by the marketing department. This is wrong. They should be produced by a player.

The player wil say, The game has such and such a feature and therefore we take advantage of the feature and do this and this and this thereby achieving that.

-

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 5
RE: 50 bucks to spend... - 7/30/2008 8:11:50 AM   
Frido1207

I have WBtS.
Playing it is highly enjoyable to me. I would recommand it, because its one of my favorite Matrix purchases.
About WW2 RtV. I´m also sitting on the fence & beeing lurking the forums. But my impressions are, that there is some more work necessary to make this game playable/enjoyable. So here I´ll will wait how the things develop & probably purchase it later.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 6
RE: 50 bucks to spend... - 7/30/2008 11:27:53 AM   
Erik Rutins

In the case of War Between the States, we did release a video to help describe the gameplay, along with some sections of the manual. You can find the video here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/357/downloads/Gary%20Grigsby's%20War%20Between%20The%20States

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Frido1207)
Post #: 7
RE: 50 bucks to spend... - 7/31/2008 1:22:59 AM   
Veldor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

The other way to showcase a game, other than a demo, is with a youtube video.

Does it even need to be said that any youtube video is going to be a poor replacement for a real demo?

As for marketing mistakes the biggest one is not taking a cue from gametrailers.com and hiring a hot female to star in the video. At least get a spunky female with some personality to do the voice-over.. Whoever did the above video showed about as much excitement for the product as a Unich at an all female nudist colony.

Still. Any video is better than nothing at all. It really should be the absolute bare minimum any new release gets...

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 8
RE: 50 bucks to spend... - 7/31/2008 1:50:01 AM   
IronWarrior

quote:

As for marketing mistakes the biggest one is not taking a cue from gametrailers.com and hiring a hot female to star in the video. At least get a spunky female with some personality to do the voice-over.. Whoever did the above video showed about as much excitement for the product as a Unich at an all female nudist colony.

Hahaha my thoughts as well, was like watching a video on someone trying to make the tax code sexy.

Although if the sexy female voicover will increase the prices, I'll stick with Unice .

< Message edited by IronWarrior -- 7/31/2008 2:01:13 AM >

(in reply to Veldor)
Post #: 9
RE: 50 bucks to spend... - 7/31/2008 1:52:48 AM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: IronWarrior

quote:

Hahaha my thoughts as well, was like watching a video on someone trying to make the tax code sexy.

Having those two hunks from brokeback mountain starring in the video would be fantastic.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to IronWarrior)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> 50 bucks to spend... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll