Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Letting things go...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Letting things go... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Letting things go... - 7/27/2008 5:10:25 PM   
Knavery

Hey Folks --
I bought and received Battles in Normandy recently from a chap selling it new through a military game eBay store. And I gotta say. Matrix Games have really gotten stingy with what they include with their software. It was bad enough that they only included the tutorial book with Korsun Pocket, but at least it's well done and I can follow along. With this one, there's nothing but a CD. You're forced to print out the other stuff in addition to what you already dished out for it. Had I made this purchase through Matrix Games, it would have set me back $75.00-$80.00. Honestly, I don't understand their marketing strategy. I've read their rationale a hundred times on this site before, but it makes no sense at all. Others would follow this model if it were true.

Also, most of the links on this site and in the game menu are obsolete or broken. It's as if this company doesn't exist anymore. Is there anyone doing QA? Seriously guys, you could sell a lot more units given you changed a few things and started acting a bit more professional.

This isn't a rant. I'm just pointing out a few glaring issues. You have some awesome games here and I think if you made a few small changes, you could reach a lot more people in the gaming community. I know you let the games speak for themselves. But I think if you followed a marketing model that makes a bit more sense, you'd sell more units and wouldn't have to charge 75.00 bucks a game when all is said and done. Who's got that kind of money anyway? John Carmack's games are supposed to be the most expensive. Everyone knows that. :)

Now, I may get flamed from a lot of the regulars here. But what can you really argue here. I'm pointing out some facts is all. If I didn't care about Matrix Games, I wouldn't say a thing.

Regards,
Knavery

“You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.” - Hunter S. Thompson

< Message edited by Knavery -- 7/27/2008 5:13:44 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Letting things go... - 7/27/2008 5:27:58 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavery
I bought and received Battles in Normandy recently from a chap selling it new through a military game eBay store. And I gotta say. Matrix Games have really gotten stingy with what they include with their software. It was bad enough that they only included the tutorial book with Korsun Pocket, but at least it's well done and I can follow along. With this one, there's nothing but a CD. You're forced to print out the other stuff in addition to what you already dished out for it. Had I made this purchase through Matrix Games, it would have set me back $75.00-$80.00. Honestly, I don't understand their marketing strategy. I've read their rationale a hundred times on this site before, but it makes no sense at all. Others would follow this model if it were true.

Actually, we started including full printed manuals in most of our games two years ago. We didn't do it earlier because of cost and logistics issues, so that's why older titles like BIN do not come with printed manuals wherease the new KDD does. By the way, you're not forced to print out the PDF documentation as it is E-Book based and thus has a table of contents, index and is fully searchable. We realize some folks just want it printed though, which is why we ended up adding printed manuals.

Also, BIN is priced at $49.99 for the download version, so I'm not sure how you get to $80 from there, I guess you'd need to order the physical copy and have it shipped overnight?

quote:

Also, most of the links on this site and in the game menu are obsolete or broken. It's as if this company doesn't exist anymore. Is there anyone doing QA? Seriously guys, you could sell a lot more units given you changed a few things and started acting a bit more professional.

We went through a major site move and upgrade two weeks ago. It could be that some old links were broken in the process, though we tried to redirect all the old ones. Can you tell me which links are broken for you?

quote:

This isn't a rant. I'm just pointing out a few glaring issues. You have some awesome games here and I think if you made a few small changes, you could reach a lot more people in the gaming community. I know you let the games speak for themselves. But I think if you followed a marketing model that makes a bit more sense, you'd sell more units and wouldn't have to charge 75.00 bucks a game when all is said and done.

Note that we sell games at prices ranging from $14.99 to $79.99, depending on a variety of factors. We also now have "Digital Express" editions (PDF manual only), "Standard" editions (full printed manual), and "Collector's" editions (color printed manual).

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Knavery)
Post #: 2
RE: Letting things go... - 1/5/2010 5:36:48 PM   
Knavery

Hey Erik,
Thanks for the great reply. I noticed a lot of changes around here for the better. Not that my opinion matters any, but I think you guys are offering a lot of options now, which is great.

I just picked up another game, but it does say DX on it. So, based on what you said, there's only a PDF. I think the printed manual is a fetish thing with me. It's like lyrics in CD inlays.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Letting things go... - 1/5/2010 6:06:40 PM   
leastonh1

Wow, that has to be the longest delay in replying to a post I've ever seen!  

2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.

(in reply to Knavery)
Post #: 4
RE: Letting things go... - 1/5/2010 7:13:46 PM   
Josh

1,5 years

(in reply to leastonh1)
Post #: 5
RE: Letting things go... - 1/5/2010 7:54:26 PM   
Knavery

Haha. Yeah it's been a while. I wanted to respond with something that I thought these guys were doing a good job.

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Letting things go... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages