This is not an AAR per ce, but is more of a guideline to new players.
This is only how I would do it, and it is no official guide/tutorial
This is what I would recommend for the first time player
difficulty: first sergeant
scenario: standard campaign
options: - far start
- always detailed option
- use generals
- more generals
- upgrade weapons
- special abilities
- richer economy
- greater population
- advanced buildings
- research upgrades
- unit attributes
So, you made it this far. Good good! Now, first look at the map, get to know what the map looks like, and look at your situation. As you see the South is more or less surrounded by Union Agressors, and our armies are spread all over the place. This is not a tolerable situation. As you might allready know, our economy is not too strong either. So what do we have going for us? Well, two things, and these advantages will fade with time, which means that we must use our initial strength to buy time to get organized. Sorry got carried away there, what our two advantages are? Well, we have the best officers around, and our boys are more than ready for what the Union has to offer! But as mentioned, we need to improve our situation, and here is what I suggest;
1. We need to rearrange the Army, being spread all around is no good.
-> all containers (armies/corps/div's) in Virginia moved to Fredricksburg to halt the Union
-> all units in Kentucky moved to Knoxville
-> all other containers moved towards Polk's army.
2. We need to rearrange generals, altough we have the most able men around, some vegetables somehow hold too high a
position within our armed forces.
-> Lee moved to take over army in Virginia
-> Beauregard moved to reserve (aka moved to Greensborough) were he is to stay until another army is raised
-> A.S. Johnston stays with his army in Knoxville
-> J.E. Johnston moves to take command of Polk's army
-> Polk demoted to 1 star
-> Bragg demoted to 2 stars
-> H.Marshall demoted to 1 star and moved into a city to keep him from ever fighting
-> J.B. Floyd demoted to 1 star and moved into a city to keep him from ever fighting
-> T. Holmes demoted to 1 star
-> van Dorn demoted to 2 stars
-> Longstreet promoted to 3 stars and given command of one of the available corps in Lee's army in Virginia
-> J.E.B. Stuart promoted to 3 stars and given command of a corps under Lee
-> Get one 2 star general in every division. suggestions are; R.H. Andersen, D.H. Hill, R.B Garnett, J.A. Early
-> Put 1 star generals in every Div, preferably more in the Div's in the army in Virginia and in the west
3. We need to rename our containers to keep track. I suggest to operate with Army of Virginia under Lee, Central Army
under A.S. Johnston in Knoxville,and Army of the West under J.E. Johnston in Hatchie. All other containers I would
name 1st corps, 2nd corps, 1st div, 2nd div etc. When Army of Virginia is full, Jackson's Corps will be named, and move
towards East Ohio River to put all of Virginia back in Southern hands.
4. We need to fill up our armies, more brigades are needed!
- Each army should eventually have 2 full corps(3 div's of 6 brigades) and one full div (6 brigades)
- Garrison units should be pulled out of their forts/cities and given individual names. I would name them from the
state they start in, aka 1st, 2nd, 3rd Virginia/South Carolina etc. Only a few locations will keep their GARRs
-> Ft. Evans
-> Richmond defences
-> Ft. Norfolk
-> Ft. Morgan (both of them)
-> Ft. Fisher
-> Ft. Sumter
-> Ft. St Philip
-> New Orleans
-> Island #10
-> Ft. Pillow
but only one GARR in each city/fort. All GARRs in Kentucky should be removed and all forts destroyed. All empty
forts should to be destroyed.
- If/when Kentucky enters, all newly arrived GARRs should stay put.
- Muster in every cirty that supports muster the first 3 turns (as long as population is available)
- Army priorities to recieve reinforcements (were do we place brigades first)
1. Army of Virginia
2. Army of the West
3. Central Army
5. The economy, how do we improve it?
-Lynchburg is changed from producing horses and start producing iron
-1 camp should be built in Florida, and 1 barrack in Richmond, when Richmond barrack is completed another one
should bebuilt immedeately, as this will allow us to produce new armies.
-We start by producing the following each turn
-> 249 money
-> 95 labour
-> 37 iron
-> 99 horses
-> 28 weapons
-> 9 weaponry research
-> 5 engineering research
-> 5 logistic research
-> 20 training research
-> 5 naval research
-> 1680 reinforcements
Our biggest concern here are Reinforcements and Iron. We will build atleast one camp every turn, and if affordable
one iron mine. Iron mines will only be build in cities that allready produce iron, camps only in cities were we are
not going to build units later on (Virginia, New Orleans, South Carolina). Our goal is 75+ iron, and 10.000+
reinforcements. When we reach 50+ iron and 5000+ reinforcements we can on occasions start to build other buildings.
Then our priority will be;
1: Weapons reasearch (should be 20+)
2: Logistic research (should be 20+)
3: Academies (10+ total)
4: engineering research (should be 20+)
Our runners should try to get their hands on the folloing
if however all of the stockpiles are at 500+ they should not try to get any resources. At such a time they should return
to port as to avoid damage.
The buying of new military units, what should we buy?
- Artillery? Hmm, no I say we steal those from the Union (this is done by forcing them to surrender, something that
will be discussed later)
- Infantery? With all those Garrison units we should have enough infantery units for now.
- Ships? Hardly, the Union holds too far an advantage on the sea, and our fine Southern boys do more good on
- Cavalery? Yes, that is a good idea. Cavalery is highly mobile, and when properly equipped can break any enemy
6. So, we now have our boys were we want them, and we have reorganized them into fighting formation, what did we
forget? Ah, yes. They need weapons! But what kind of weapons, and what Armies should be armed first, and why?
1. Army of Virginia -> will be attacked again and again
2. Army of the West -> will most likely face Grant
3. Central Army -> will take some time before it sees action
- what to arm
-> 3 brigades per div (total 6 brigades) recieve muskets, 3 recieve mississippi rifle until cost of lorenz is cheaper
-> all CAVs get breachloading until Spencer Carbs are available
-> all arty gets 24 pund howitzer until indirect fire upgrade, then Napoleons.
- unit attributes
-> all of our CAVs should recieve quality horses x2. If they allready possess another ability, click that ability and
buy quality horses. We want our CAVs to be fast and long reaching so that they are able to flank the enemy,
and capture fleeing Union troops.
Well, that should get you started General! I will be back later on to give you a few pointers as to how best to fight against the Union, but by heeding my advice you will be in a position were Southern Secession is not only a dream, but a real possibility!
Best of luck to you and your boys!
-> all CAVs get 2 quality horses, if they have something else, click that icon and buy quality horses.
< Message edited by terje439 -- 7/30/2008 8:12:24 PM >