Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

service pack 3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> service pack 3 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
service pack 3 - 7/25/2008 5:03:15 PM   
panzers

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of it. I am having problems with it including not being able to use this forum
Post #: 1
RE: service pack 3 - 7/25/2008 5:06:17 PM   
pasternakski

Is that what's doing it, do ya think? I keep getting logged out when trying to reply to a post, and sometimes the site crashes my browser (IE7). I am also stuck with XP-SP3 (it came on my new pooter).

As far as getting rid of it is concerned, I think you'd have to do a clean Windows re-install, but I'm no expert...

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 2
RE: service pack 3 - 7/25/2008 6:12:33 PM   
Ironclad

If you have XP you can use System Restore to return to the point before it was installed. I tried installing it a few times and ever time it stopped my internet access/email - forcing me to revert and turning off automatic updates for good measure. Fortunately, prompted by a thread on these forums, I discovered that there was a fix for Zone Alarm (apparently messed up by SP3 and causing the blockage) which solved the difficulty. My laptop with SP3 seems to be working alright now. I don't know if there is any connection to the timeout issues that so many posters (including myself) are experiencing.

< Message edited by Ironclad -- 7/25/2008 6:13:33 PM >

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 3
RE: service pack 3 - 7/25/2008 6:20:30 PM   
Carl Myers

Open up your control panel and double click Install or Remove Programs. Look for it on the list.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 4
RE: service pack 3 - 7/25/2008 6:40:48 PM   
MadmanRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of it. I am having problems with it including not being able to use this forum

Do you use Internet Explorer? If so, try using Firefox (it's freeware) and it is MUCH better and even safer than IE will ever be. I use it on all of my computers and I wouldn't trade back to IE for all the tea in China.

"Our lives begin to end the moment we become silent about things that matter". Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 5
RE: service pack 3 - 7/25/2008 10:47:43 PM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: MadmanRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers

Do you use Internet Explorer? If so, try using Firefox (it's freeware) and it is MUCH better and even safer than IE will ever be. I use it on all of my computers and I wouldn't trade back to IE for all the tea in China.

Ok, will try that. and paster, I am getting that problem also, so it must be SP3

(in reply to MadmanRick)
Post #: 6
RE: service pack 3 - 7/26/2008 12:07:30 AM   
KTNJR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ironclad

If you have XP you can use System Restore to return to the point before it was installed. I tried installing it a few times and ever time it stopped my internet access/email - forcing me to revert and turning off automatic updates for good measure. Fortunately, prompted by a thread on these forums, I discovered that there was a fix for Zone Alarm (apparently messed up by SP3 and causing the blockage) which solved the difficulty. My laptop with SP3 seems to be working alright now. I don't know if there is any connection to the timeout issues that so many posters (including myself) are experiencing.

SP3 is not at fault for your Zone Alarm not working. Microsofts last security update is the reason why.
If you need to know what one, let me know. I'll get you the info you need to work around it.

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 7
RE: service pack 3 - 7/26/2008 12:32:11 AM   
Ironclad

Thanks, I have already downloaded/installed the ZA fix and my system is working fine apart from the timeouts when on this forum.

(in reply to KTNJR)
Post #: 8
RE: service pack 3 - 7/26/2008 12:36:07 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Carl Myers

Open up your control panel and double click Install or Remove Programs. Look for it on the list.

Forgive me if I'm wrong about this, but don't you have to be careful about removing elements of Windows? I mean, the service packs make changes to files that I don't think removing the pack will revert to how they were before the pack was installed.

In my case, SP3 was part of the software bundle with my new computer, and I doubt that I could get rid of it even if I wanted to.

You seem to know more about this kind of stuff than I, Carl, correct my misapprehensions, will you? I always try to learn more about these unwieldy beasts we have come to depend on so completely, but progress is slow and incomplete...

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Carl Myers)
Post #: 9
RE: service pack 3 - 7/26/2008 1:03:53 AM   
Gem35

Pas, if your PC isn't broke, don't fix it.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

Post #: 10
RE: service pack 3 - 7/26/2008 1:44:11 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

Not me, bro. I got a system that's running as sweet and hot as Junie May from Texarkana on a July night after a couple of bourbon and cokes...

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 11
RE: service pack 3 - 7/26/2008 1:49:51 AM   
Gem35

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

Not me, bro. I got a system that's running as sweet and hot as Junie May from Texarkana on a July night after a couple of bourbon and cokes...

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> service pack 3 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll