Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pretty unhappy with new product pages

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Pretty unhappy with new product pages Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pretty unhappy with new product pages - 7/24/2008 8:10:57 PM   
rickier65

Well,

I thought I was adapting to the new look of the site and the forum pages. This morning I saw the new game release for Road To Victory and thought I'd check it out. Read a quick overview then went to check out the screens. Imagine my surprise when I couldnt see ANY detail in the screenshots. . That quickly decided me aginst pursuing the game further - I figured if the game screens were that bad in a advertisement, I surely wouldn't think much of them in production.

Then I relaized I hadn't look at other games since the web site redo. So I went over to check out Kharkov:Disaster on the Donets.

Same thing - I don't know for sure what you've done, but I'm fairly confident that Kharkov screens are much better visually than what I see on the product site here. I'll be going over to check them out on SSG site when I leave here, but I've been buying SSG stuff for years, so I'm confident the issue isn't the game screens in the game.

What's up folks - surely you're not going to leave this as is? This has got to hurt sales.

I know my quipment isnt the latest and greatest, and maybe they look better on different setup, but I'm running 17inch monitor, with 1024 x 768 resolution, which is pretty darn common.

I've probably bought 80% of my last few games through you folks, but seeing screenshots is a must for me - I'm an old paper wargame convert and the game presentation makes a difference. But the way the screenshots are now - well.

It looks like unless something is done, I'll have to rely on AAR's for screenshots. I can do that - I usually don't jump on games right out of the gate( well except for my last PC:K). But you really should reconsider your new screenshots.

Rick
Post #: 1
RE: Pretty unhappy with new product pages - 7/24/2008 8:17:02 PM   
Erik Rutins

Rick,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick
I thought I was adapting to the new look of the site and the forum pages. This morning I saw the new game release for Road To Victory and thought I'd check it out. Read a quick overview then went to check out the screens. Imagine my surprise when I couldnt see ANY detail in the screenshots. . That quickly decided me aginst pursuing the game further - I figured if the game screens were that bad in a advertisement, I surely wouldn't think much of them in production.
Then I relaized I hadn't look at other games since the web site redo. So I went over to check out Kharkov:Disaster on the Donets.
Same thing - I don't know for sure what you've done, but I'm fairly confident that Kharkov screens are much better visually than what I see on the product site here. I'll be going over to check them out on SSG site when I leave here, but I've been buying SSG stuff for years, so I'm confident the issue isn't the game screens in the game.

Are you saying the screens don't zoom for you if you click on them? What about the screenshots in the store?

quote:

I've probably bought 80% of my last few games through you folks, but seeing screenshots is a must for me - I'm an old paper wargame convert and the game presentation makes a difference. But the way the screenshots are now - well.
It looks like unless something is done, I'll have to rely on AAR's for screenshots. I can do that - I usually don't jump on games right out of the gate( well except for my last PC:K). But you really should reconsider your new screenshots.

I'll take a look, I didn't realize there had been any change in the quality of the screenshots as part of the site upgrade.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 2
RE: Pretty unhappy with new product pages - 7/24/2008 8:34:50 PM   
panzers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Rick,

quote:

Are you saying the screens don't zoom for you if you click on them? What about the screenshots in the store?

quote:

I'll take a look, I didn't realize there had been any change in the quality of the screenshots as part of the site upgrade.

And what of Road to victory? Why was there no advertising of the game itself. You can see the amount of posts I have and not once was there any mention of this game.
Why is that. When I opened up my Matrix game forum to see that on there, you can imagine the look of shock to my eyes when I first saw that.
So, I know absolutely nothing of the game. How did it happen that way? the way you guys were pushing Kharkov, certainly you would think that an anouncement of a new WWII campaign style wargame was about to be released.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Pretty unhappy with new product pages - 7/24/2008 9:17:55 PM   
noxious

quote:

[Snip Snip]

Well, they do zoom from the thumbnails in the viewer, but those "zoomed" pictures are indeed pretty lo-fi, and I can see how they could do a disservice to the showcased games.

Store is not using the "viewer", so the screenshots are displayed at their full size.
Hmmm, are you doing any "on the fly" image resizing in that viewer for the games overview and screenshot pages ?
That could be the cause for some serious image degradation, especially if there is color indexing or dithering involved in the original image

Maybe tailor the images for the viewer ?

Be Kind. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.

Post #: 4
RE: Pretty unhappy with new product pages - 7/24/2008 11:06:07 PM   
VSWG

The screenshots for "WitP, Admiral's Edition" are low quality, too - lots of jpeg artifacts.

(in reply to noxious)
Post #: 5
RE: Pretty unhappy with new product pages - 7/24/2008 11:33:25 PM   
rickier65

quote:

Rick,

No, the windows zoom, or at least pop up a larger window, but the resolution/size makes it hard to see any detail in the text winodw of the game.

I just checked the Store screenshots and they look ok. But I don't go to the store section until I've made the decision - I think you want your best screenshots in your products page.

Thanks for checking into it at least.

Rick

Post #: 6
RE: Pretty unhappy with new product pages - 7/24/2008 11:59:42 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers
And what of Road to victory? Why was there no advertising of the game itself. You can see the amount of posts I have and not once was there any mention of this game.
Why is that. When I opened up my Matrix game forum to see that on there, you can imagine the look of shock to my eyes when I first saw that.
So, I know absolutely nothing of the game. How did it happen that way? the way you guys were pushing Kharkov, certainly you would think that an anouncement of a new WWII campaign style wargame was about to be released.

Well, we have more time to prepare for some releases than others. Ideally, we'd give plenty of warning and promo info on each release but in some cases it's just not possible. Besides, every now and then it's nice to have a surprise, eh?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to panzers)
Post #: 7
RE: Pretty unhappy with new product pages - 7/25/2008 3:13:35 AM   
panzers

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: panzers

Well, we have more time to prepare for some releases than others. Ideally, we'd give plenty of warning and promo info on each release but in some cases it's just not possible. Besides, every now and then it's nice to have a surprise, eh?

Regards,

- Erik

You know, Erik, you guys are killing me, because I want to get as much gaming in before MWiF comes out. Now I am forced to buy this one. You twisted my arm and took advantage of a weak person just because of his love for wargamming.

Post #: 8
RE: Pretty unhappy with new product pages - 7/25/2008 5:58:21 AM   
Hentzau

Matrix should host zip files of quality screenshots so people can get a better look at games that don't have demos at the very least.

I even thought that alot of the screenshots were subpar before any changes in format occurred. No offense intended just hopefully useful feedback.

< Message edited by Hentzau -- 7/25/2008 5:59:42 AM >

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 9
RE: Pretty unhappy with new product pages - 7/25/2008 11:48:38 AM   
doomtrader

quote:

Well,

Hi,

check the gallery section at www.worldwar2.pl

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 10
RE: Pretty unhappy with new product pages - 7/25/2008 7:15:18 PM   
HansBolter

I have to agree with the general concensus that the screenshots are horrible in quality.

In addition, the selection of screenshots is very poor. Three of them show the exact same map area with the only difference being the almost illegible pop up windows. One would think you would have wanted to iluustrate a bit more variety in the limited number of screenshots.

As an old time Third Reich player (was a playtester for Advanced Third Reich) I am always on the lookout for a good strategic/grand strategic depiction ot teh ETO. This looks interesting, but I have to say the map is very disappointing. It almost as if they were going for the blandest map possible award. No city names, no river names....miles upon miles of bland monotone terrain.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 11
RE: Pretty unhappy with new product pages - 7/25/2008 9:27:46 PM   
rickier65

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

quote:

Well,

Hi,

check the gallery section at www.worldwar2.pl

Thanks for the link - those screens were perfectly clear!

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Pretty unhappy with new product pages Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI