Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

JTCS or TOAW3?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> JTCS or TOAW3? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/24/2008 6:54:10 PM   
Kung Karl

So wich games is the better one if I would want to play a good Stalingrad battle? Not to complex either. I would like to play it at corps or divisional level but it is not a requirement. The most important thing is that it is realistic and fun. I don't like to push around huge amount of counters either.

BUT, I want a good game and realistic game foremost and I am not obbsesed with the scale. So if JTCS is a better game allaround or maybe not as comlex as TOAW3 I might choose that one instead.

So, why should I get TOAW3 or JTCS? Pros and Cons about the games in general?

I will not only play the stalingrad scenario I might add but I am realy in the mood for that particular battle right now. Also, I will play against the AI.

< Message edited by Kung Karl -- 7/24/2008 6:56:23 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/24/2008 7:38:06 PM   
V22 Osprey

I really like TOAW3,very simple game.Also game can support units from an army Corps,to a squad of 12 men and everything in between.Map scale also varies.I totally recommend this game.

Edit:There are standard and advance rules,and a easy to use editor.

< Message edited by V22 Osprey -- 7/24/2008 7:39:09 PM >

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 2
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/24/2008 7:48:38 PM   
Kung Karl

How about screen resolutions? I have 1680*1050 widescreen LCD, does both game support that?

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 3
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/24/2008 8:17:46 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, TOAW III supports higher resolutions, it runs in a maximizable window like War Between the States.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 4
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/24/2008 8:27:37 PM   
Kung Karl

TOAW3 it is!

Could someone tell wich the best Stalingrad and entire eastern front scenarios are the best?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/24/2008 9:06:42 PM   
V22 Osprey

When you get the game,select the ''Classic TAOW'' scenario folder,many different battles there.

Edit:Infact,theres an entire scenario folder called ''WW2-East Front''

< Message edited by V22 Osprey -- 7/24/2008 9:12:07 PM >

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 6
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/24/2008 10:51:55 PM   
Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kung Karl

I will not only play the stalingrad scenario I might add but I am realy in the mood for that particular battle right now. Also, I will play against the AI.

You can't really compare both games, since one is about operational warfare while the other is tactical combat. For complex scenarios with larger oob's I wouldn't take JTCS, simply due to the fact that it's not possible to turn off animations and it needs an ungodly time for the AI to move every unit and finish it's turn.

My suggestion: purchase TOAW 3 and get SPWAW or WinSPWW2 for the tactical part.

quote:

Could someone tell wich the best Stalingrad and entire eastern front scenarios are the best?

Have a look at 'Fire in the East' for entire Barbarossa.

< Message edited by Lützow -- 7/24/2008 10:54:16 PM >

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 7
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/25/2008 3:03:44 AM   
mikul82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

quote:

You can't really compare both games, since one is about operational warfare while the other is tactical combat. For complex scenarios with larger oob's I wouldn't take JTCS, simply due to the fact that it's not possible to turn off animations and it needs an ungodly time for the AI to move every unit and finish it's turn.

quote:

In one of the menu options in JTCS (you can access the menu by pressing "m"), you can select "Fast Computer Player" which causes the AI to blow right through it's turn. Turn on detailed firing reports if you want to see what happens with each attack it makes, or else it'll blow right through those as well. I couldn't imagine playing the game without this option selected, you'd spend more time waiting than playing!

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 8
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/25/2008 3:29:53 AM   
JAMiAM

quote:

quote:

quote:

Note the bolded sections...

Fire in the East is not PO (Programmed Opponent) enabled, and will not perform well in single player against the AI. There are other East Front scenarios that are PO enabled, in the Classic TOAW folder, and in the WWII - East Front folder. The former all have some PO capability, while with the latter, you will need to check the actual scenario briefings to determine whether or not they are PO capable and for which side(s).

Disclaimer: I do have a vested interest in you buying TOAW III, since I'm a co-developer for it. However, I'd like to see you purchase it because it is the best gaming value per dollar that Matrix offers, and not based on a forum post that might be (unintentionally) misleading.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 9
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/25/2008 4:46:21 AM   
GJK

The old Stalingrad from the "V for Victory" series was pretty good. I have a copy that I play every now and then using DOSBox and it works great.

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 10
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/25/2008 10:21:09 AM   
Lützow

quote:

In one of the menu options in JTCS (you can access the menu by pressing "m"), you can select "Fast Computer Player" which causes the AI to blow right through it's turn. Turn on detailed firing reports if you want to see what happens with each attack it makes, or else it'll blow right through those as well. I couldn't imagine playing the game without this option selected, you'd spend more time waiting than playing!

And then it works as fast as Steel Panthers ? If so I may reinstall JTSC and give it another shot. Actually I used to like this game but never played above regiment level. Since complex scenarios as Stalingrad always scared me away for their slow turns. I don't mind to watch my units moving but waiting for AI opponent is plain boring.

(in reply to GJK)
Post #: 11
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/25/2008 11:02:28 AM   
Neilster

Mate, do yourself a favour and buy TOAW 3

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 12
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/25/2008 2:03:09 PM   
Kung Karl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Mate, do yourself a favour and buy TOAW 3

Cheers, Neilster

I did :)

Also bought Panzer Command Kharkov, Kharkov disaster on the donets and GGWBTS.

How in the hell am I going to be able to play all these great titles?!?! I will not buy anymore games this year! I think I have done my share in supporting Matrix games for now ;)

I also have Birth of America, American Civil War lying around since earlier.

I am also a sports fan and Madden 09 is coming out very soon and the NHL 09 soon after that. Oh, Colonization 2 too... Have there ever been so many great games to play ever in the history of gaming?

Furthermore, I start my new job as a History- and Political Science-teacher in two weeks at High School.

Just started reading The forgotten soldier by Guy Sayer.

The sport season is starting soon to so there goes time to watching NFL, NHL, Premier Leuage and Swedish Elite Series hockey.

I will be a busy man to say the least...

< Message edited by Kung Karl -- 7/25/2008 2:25:10 PM >

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 13
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/26/2008 8:52:22 PM   
mikul82

quote:

quote:

And then it works as fast as Steel Panthers ? If so I may reinstall JTSC and give it another shot. Actually I used to like this game but never played above regiment level. Since complex scenarios as Stalingrad always scared me away for their slow turns. I don't mind to watch my units moving but waiting for AI opponent is plain boring.

SP has always seemed slower than hell to me between turns, with the op fire and all. Try out the CS with that option checked, I think you'll like it much better ;)

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 14
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/27/2008 3:19:58 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

How in the hell am I going to be able to play all these great titles?!?!

That's question many clients of this forum are asking, including me. I have few games I haven't ever installed, including Medieval: Total War, Combat Mission 3 and Homeworld 2. Instead of those I play cost-free games, like SPWAW, WinSPMBT, MekWars (see my sig), and ancient Jagged Alliance 2 Gold (with v1.13 mod). Now this might mean one thing: new commercial games just don't have much chances against other games (best of last millennia, open source games, and rest)

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Kung Karl)
Post #: 15
RE: JTCS or TOAW3? - 7/27/2008 5:07:07 PM   
Kung Karl

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

How in the hell am I going to be able to play all these great titles?!?!

That's question many clients of this forum are asking, including me. I have few games I haven't ever installed, including Medieval: Total War, Combat Mission 3 and Homeworld 2. Instead of those I play cost-free games, like SPWAW, WinSPMBT, MekWars (see my sig), and ancient Jagged Alliance 2 Gold (with v1.13 mod). Now this might mean one thing: new commercial games just don't have much chances against other games (best of last millennia, open source games, and rest)

Old games certanly are fun. Maybe it is because back then one didn't have so many games and the ones you got you learned pretty well and now you can concentrate on PLAYING the game. Nowadays I buy games but never give them the proper attention because I switch betwen to many. The result is that I never learn the game properly to fully enyoy it because I am lured away by another new great game. Too bad realy. I will have to resist buying new games for a while (Madden 09 and NHL 09 not included).

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> JTCS or TOAW3? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote