Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

the man who never returned

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> the man who never returned Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
the man who never returned - 7/22/2008 3:19:10 AM   
Treefrog

Anybody remember that old Kingston Trio standard about poor ol' Charlie that got trapped on the MTA?

Well, somehow I moved a militia onto a transport. I can't seem to move him off and I can't move the transport into port to unload him (Warhunter is ROFL about now ).

Anybody have an idea on how to extract him? Heck, I'd even kill the SOB just to be able to move the transport.

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."
Post #: 1
RE: the man who never returned - 7/22/2008 4:58:13 AM   
JAMiAM

Double-click the transport, and the transport and militia will appear below the stack display. Then, you should be able to select the militia and continue its strategic movement.

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 2
RE: the man who never returned - 7/22/2008 6:32:15 PM   
Treefrog

JAMiAN,

Thanx for the interest in my debarkation problem, but I had already tried double clicking left and right. I do recall that in another situation the land unit "separated" in the screen from the ship and I could move it, but that is not happening here.

I think I should probably report it as a bug.

joe

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 3
RE: the man who never returned - 7/22/2008 7:36:55 PM   
Capt Cliff

I too have had problems with units stuck on river transport or out to sea ... but the double click them ... select (left click) the unit ... make sure it has the red boarder around it ... then left click to a destination has worked for me.

< Message edited by Capt Cliff -- 7/22/2008 7:37:17 PM >

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 4
RE: the man who never returned - 7/22/2008 7:52:29 PM   
Joel Billings

I have to admit this happened to me once in development (unit stuck at sea and not able to move it or somehow detach it from the transport). I could not repeat it, nor could I figure out what caused it. If someone can tell us how to make this happen, we would have a chance of fixing it.

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 5
RE: the man who never returned - 7/22/2008 8:51:48 PM   
Treefrog

Capt. Cliff,

this happened to me once before and I fixed it as you described; this time, however, when I double click I do not get a box with just the unit. I get a little captioned screen message that the unit is not attached to the transport, or something like that.

Joel,

That way I created this problem is, as I recall, that I was attempting to get the unit to go by sea down the Atlantic Coastline (to avoid using rail movement) and actually moved it out onto the ship with the cursor and then released the left button on the cursor. I think I actually did it with two units. One unit I was then able to get to go to the land. The other unit is still stuck there.

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 6
RE: the man who never returned - 7/31/2008 4:25:14 PM   
JAMiAM

Okay, I had this happen to me today, and I think that what might be causing it is a bug in the move-back routine. I strat moved some unattached infantry from Paducah to Jacksonville, then decided to move them instead to Waycross. So, I moved back only out into Ao6, and was going to move from there to Waycross. At that point, the infantry units got "stuck". They show up in the bottom pane, when the Transports are selected, but do not show up to be selected from in the upper panes.

I've got a save file available to test this with, should anyone from 2x3 want it.

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 7
RE: the man who never returned - 7/31/2008 6:10:29 PM   
Joel Billings

Great catch. I've been able to duplicate the bug by moving a unit by sea, and then clicking back along the path to partially undo the move into a sea area. The unit is then stuck. A full undo back to land is not a problem, but a partial undo to a sea area does cause the unit to be lost. I'll add that to our bug list for the next patch. The current patch is in final testing. Thanks for figuring this out.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 8
RE: the man who never returned - 7/31/2008 6:43:47 PM   
madgamer2

ok sense you admit before us all I will to. For the life of me I can't figure out the use of transports to cross rivers. Heck I have to look at the amphib tutorial before and durring every game LOL. Sometimes this old brain just does not connect.
Its so bad...how bad is it? There are times I go into the bathroom and forget why I went in there.....cleaning up the mess on the floor is the worst part LOL. I even forget some of the words to some of my own songs when I am playing the guitar....One of my few comforts in life is that given a bit of luck all you young guys out there will be old like me someday LOL

Madgamer

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 9
RE: the man who never returned - 7/31/2008 6:51:03 PM   
madgamer2

this may sound silly but if the unit and transport are not together try putting them together like when you put a land unit with a leader. The unit may not be aboard the transport so can not move...I know it sounds silly but......
I thought you might be desparate..LOL

Madgamer

P.S. I love your posts because you do not hesitate to ask those somewhat (to Me) embarrassing questions that I would find hard to admit to someone that I did know

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 10
RE: the man who never returned - 8/4/2008 1:35:15 AM   
Treefrog

It happened again, this time to a transport on the Ohio River.

I think I may have discovered how I make this happens (as in, perhaps you, dear reader should avoid this).

when i micromanage and put a unit on a TR to then move it boat by boat down the river (or sea region to sea region), I think that is what prompts this unfortunate result.

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 11
RE: the man who never returned - 8/4/2008 3:07:20 AM   
madgamer2

Pardon for me asking these simple questions but I am now a bit confused. I thought if your units to be transported are in a port and there is enough transport capacity in each sea region you pas through you do not actually need to put them on the ships. If the movement is a sea movement from a friendly port to a friendly port no ships are required.
If it is a amphib operation you must have 2 ships/ unit cost. Oone infantry unit costs 4 transport pts to move and 8 transport points to make the amphib attack (2 X 4 trasport pt. Inf.unit.. To move 6 Inf. units is 30 transport pts(left # below the transports in a region. I the region that the Amphib attack takes place would require 60 transports (the # right of the slash mark) I could be totally wrong here in which some more knowledgeable sole than I will correct this. If I am right it still may not solve your problem. I keep thinking it is not a bug but somehting you narde doing or not doing but I have no idea what it is.

Madgamer

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 12
RE: the man who never returned - 8/4/2008 7:42:46 PM   
Treefrog

madgamer,

it was not a case of placing the cursor on the port and saying "go there" and instead it stopped midway.

to micromanage sea transport* i attempted to move the unit to a transport, which happened. the next step is then to send it from the transport to the port, which didn't happen.

* to make sure that no railroad capability was used

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 13
RE: the man who never returned - 8/4/2008 9:14:44 PM   
madgamer2

Yeah, after reading the other posts in this thread I think there must be a problem with the movement. I wonder if there are any other movement problems or is the sea movement just the only one of its type. Has it ever repeated happening more than once In a single game? Does the unit stay in the sea zone the next turn? can you then move it next turn?

very strange
Madgamer

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 14
RE: the man who never returned - 8/6/2008 7:27:32 PM   
Treefrog

the good news is that my "frozen" transport on the Ohio is free to move again,
the bad news is that this is because the "frozen" militia on the transport died during the attrition phase.

pause a moment and contemplate the tragedy here:  a whole brigade of Federal youngsters joins up to fight to save the Union, embarks on a leaky, smelly tranport to travel to the front, spends the balance of the war on that transport (no shore leave, no liquor, no women), then starves to death on the boat in the winter of '62.  Reminds me of the Sultana tragedy of '65.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 15
RE: the man who never returned - 8/7/2008 1:48:56 AM   
madgamer2

Reminds me of one of those long fights in some Oblivion dungeon where after a long hard fight you guy is the last one standing but dies due to lack of endurance. or better just you and the last bad guy both die at the same moment and you have to go back to your last saved game. The poor lads to die for ones country is one thing but to starve on some damn transport with the shore in sight....(SIGH) life can be hard.

Madgamer

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> the man who never returned Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI