Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Avatars Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
warspite1

There are some pretty interesting Avatars in play here. Can I ask people to say why they have chosen their particular avatar - Patrice for example, why Manstein??
Post #: 1
RE: Avatars - 7/17/2008 11:53:28 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

There are some pretty interesting Avatars in play here. Can I ask people to say why they have chosen their particular avatar - Patrice for example, why Manstein??

I have no idea why Patrice picked Manstein. I would have considered him myself if he had been "free". Manstain is in my opinion arguably the most capable general during WWII.

-Orm

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2
RE: Avatars - 7/18/2008 2:20:58 AM   
Sabre21

When you consider my forum name and look at my avatar, they go hand in hand. I spent a few years as a scout in the 82nd Abn and 18 more years flying cobras assigned to various air cavalry squadrons. My screen name was one of my callsigns from ages ago and I am a bit fond of the red and white banner

Sabre21

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 3
RE: Avatars - 7/18/2008 4:18:34 AM   
lomyrin

I once upon a time long long ago served on the Tre Kronor as a Radioman.

Lars

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 4
RE: Avatars - 7/18/2008 8:22:02 AM   
Froonp

quote:

[Not yet at home]
I picked him, because I played Germany and found out that this counter is by far the most important and powerful in Germany's order of battle. Pretty much everywhere you're in difficulty as Germany, just send Manstein with or without an Offensive Chit. Adding +2.5 (2d10) to a Blitz or assault Combat is a killer, even more if he is with an offensive Chit.
I'd even say that this counter is too powerful.
In the last game I played, he helped take Moscow, Rostov, Sevastopol, pull out the Allies from Venice and the Italian city in the alps setting back their reconquest of Italy to a stanlemale in the mountains of Florence, and then Leningrad in 1945. It was a blast, and I felt it was too much, too easy.
Put Manstein, 2 PARA, flipp all defenders with Stukas, and you've got +9.5 already.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: Avatars - 7/18/2008 10:35:33 AM   
terje439

I decided on this one due to the fact that I am Norwegian, and the ship Tordenskiold is NOT an important piece in this game, pretty much like Norwegian forces IRL during WWII

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 6
RE: Avatars - 7/18/2008 2:34:06 PM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

I decided on this one due to the fact that I am Norwegian, and the ship Tordenskiold is NOT an important piece in this game, pretty much like Norwegian forces IRL during WWII

Norwegian forces fought bravely and well in 1940 when in a hopeless position and the Free Norwegians carried the fight to Germany with honour. The Norwegian resistance was instrumental at various times, especially in the fight against the German atomic program.

I particularly like the anecdote from one of the Commando raids to Norway early in the war (Lofoten Islands?) when many young Norwegians, including women, decided to leave with the British to join the Free Norwegians. As the flotilla approached port a message was sent..."We have blondes!"

p.s. I remember seeing a cool documentary where modern British special forces guys (Royal Marine Commando?) tried to emulate the hardships of the "Heroes of Telemark". They struggled a bit and were left with a greater appreciation of what was achieved. It included interviews with several of the original men, describing what they went through (having to eat moss etc). They were seriously tough.

Cheers, Neilster

< Message edited by Neilster -- 7/18/2008 2:43:28 PM >

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 7
RE: Avatars - 7/19/2008 6:57:24 AM   
paulderynck

Best Canadian unit in the game. eh.

Paul

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 8
RE: Avatars - 7/19/2008 7:18:42 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

Norwegian forces fought bravely and well in 1940 when in a hopeless position and the Free Norwegians carried the fight to Germany with honour. The Norwegian resistance was instrumental at various times, especially in the fight against the German atomic program.

I particularly like the anecdote from one of the Commando raids to Norway early in the war (Lofoten Islands?) when many young Norwegians, including women, decided to leave with the British to join the Free Norwegians. As the flotilla approached port a message was sent..."We have blondes!"

p.s. I remember seeing a cool documentary where modern British special forces guys (Royal Marine Commando?) tried to emulate the hardships of the "Heroes of Telemark". They struggled a bit and were left with a greater appreciation of what was achieved. It included interviews with several of the original men, describing what they went through (having to eat moss etc). They were seriously tough.

Cheers, Neilster

Aye, that they did. The greatest contribution by Norway during WWII however would be from the merchant marine. Unless my memory serves me completely wrong, some 1 in 5 ships carrying supplies to Britain in 1940 were Norwegian. Furthermore, Norwegian gold reserves was added to the Allied cause (thanks to the sinking of the Blücher) to augment Allied war economy. In WiF however NOrwegian counters will never play that big a part

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 9
RE: Avatars - 7/19/2008 9:01:35 AM   
Neilster

I was a Panzer commander in Poland, France, Greece and Russia. Hang on...no I wasn't

I think mine is from a recruiting poster for the HG division. I just thought he is pretty cool and he looks a bit like me.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 10
RE: Avatars - 7/21/2008 9:29:29 PM   
Froonp

Steve, any chance you can use some kind of Avatar like this one ?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 11
RE: Avatars - 7/21/2008 9:30:44 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

(I can change the background color if you want )

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 12
RE: Avatars - 7/21/2008 9:41:08 PM   
Neilster

That is very cool Patrice. I'm not sure the combat and reorganisation values are high enough though

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 13
RE: Avatars - 7/21/2008 9:43:34 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

That is very cool Patrice. I'm not sure the combat and reorganisation values are high enough though

Cheers, Neilster

2 digits would have been too hard to keep in the counter . But he deserves more, I agree !!!

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 14
RE: Avatars - 7/21/2008 10:47:28 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp

Thanks, however,

Matrix has overwritten the avatar for moderators with the same fixed one for everybody.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 7/21/2008 10:49:48 PM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 15
RE: Avatars - 7/24/2008 7:52:02 PM   
Jimm

My Grandad was (amongst other things) British 6th Airborne and participated in the Rhine Crossing and was also apparently kicking around in the Ardennes in 44. His job was getting in on the ground to prepare landing sites before the main drops, often travelling incognito to avoid identification and prewarning the enemy of the possible drops of airborne forces.

He is still an active 85yr old!

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 16
RE: Avatars - 7/24/2008 8:00:29 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimm

My Grandad was (amongst other things) British 6th Airborne and participated in the Rhine Crossing and was also apparently kicking around in the Ardennes in 44. His job was getting in on the ground to prepare landing sites before the main drops, often travelling incognito to avoid identification and prewarning the enemy of the possible drops of airborne forces.

Warspite1

TOP MAN!!

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 17
RE: Avatars - 7/24/2008 9:18:27 PM   
Froonp

quote:

British 6th Airborne was part of this corps, wasn't it ?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 18
RE: Avatars - 7/24/2008 10:14:28 PM   
sajbalk

My graphic is quite simple. I was born and raised and now live in Iowa. The USS Iowa was (and may be again) a beautiful warship. The USS Davenport was a frigate and alas lacks a counter. Nothing more to it.

Steve Balk
Iowa, USA

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 19
RE: Avatars - 7/24/2008 10:22:53 PM   
Jimm

In game terms I guess so; There were two British airborne divisions (1st & 6th) but as far as I know they were to all intents and purposes independent and there wasnt a Brit "airborne corps" organised as such.

I've found (doing write ups for the Italians, particularly), that the corps scale of WiF isnt strictly historically accurate but is a convenient level of detail for the game!

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 20
RE: Avatars - 7/27/2008 11:44:04 PM   
YohanTM2

Definitely, lots of discussion on this over the last few years.

quote:

In game terms I guess so; There were two British airborne divisions (1st & 6th) but as far as I know they were to all intents and purposes independent and there wasnt a Brit "airborne corps" organised as such.

I've found (doing write ups for the Italians, particularly), that the corps scale of WiF isnt strictly historically accurate but is a convenient level of detail for the game!

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 21
RE: Avatars - 7/28/2008 12:43:34 AM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: sajbalk

My graphic is quite simple. I was born and raised and now live in Iowa. The USS Iowa was (and may be again) a beautiful warship. The USS Davenport was a frigate and alas lacks a counter. Nothing more to it.

I agree, she is a beauty indeed. Had the pleasure of visiting her some 20 years ago.

(in reply to sajbalk)
Post #: 22
RE: Avatars - 7/28/2008 9:40:36 AM   
peskpesk

quote:

I served in Svea livgarde which roughly is the Swedish guards

"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 23
RE: Avatars - 7/29/2008 12:31:17 AM   
Mr. Yuck

Pre-fatherhood I used an anagram of my real name as a moniker. I had a hard time deciding on an avatar. I used the Iraqi flag for a while because I felt like people were all too willing to forget what is happening over there during day-to-day life.

I chose Mr. Yuck and his symbol so I could be the same on all forums. The name has yet to be taken anywhere I wanted to join. The mods over at Storm Over Civ were kind enough to make this one for me.

In the USA, Mr. Yuck was a sticker you could order from the Poison Control Center to stick on household liquids that you should neither drink nor play with. Bleach, ammonia, lye-that kind of stuff. There was a public service ad campaign to go with it. Psychedelic scary stuff if you google the videos.

The campaign is long defunct but you can still order the stickers. My son likes and understands the symbol perfectly, so I get to post while he is in my lap.

(in reply to peskpesk)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Avatars Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI