Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

thinking outside the box on Union generals

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> thinking outside the box on Union generals Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
thinking outside the box on Union generals - 7/3/2008 5:56:42 PM   
Treefrog

IMHO the most important aspect of the game is initiative and the most important attribute of a TC is to impart initiative to the AC and even the unit commanders that are not stacked with an AC.

The TC initiative has three factors: rank, command rating and administration. You can promote at political point cost and raise command rating through battlefield success. I have not seen anybody's administrative rating rise.

Is it theoritically possible for certain TC candidates to have a 100% chance at initiative!!

Query: Has anybody tried grooming Dix or Meigs through battlefield command experience and promotion to take advantage of that big "6" for admin. For example, if Meigs raised his command rating via battlefield experience to 11 and you promoted him to three stars, his initiative percentage would be 3/4 times 11/20 times 6/6 = 33/80 or 41%. Not great, but certainly far better than Fremont for example. If his battlefield experience continued to grow through successful operations he could become quite formidable; it is theoritically possible to raise command rating to 20 through battlefield success. If you paid the PPs to promote him again to a "4", he would practically unstoppable. So the math is: 4/4 times 20/20 times 6/6 = 100% =

I admit that I haven't determined whether the game would allow all these promotions; I'm just theorizing here.

Also, I haven't checked army modifiers for Miegs and Dix; army modifiers is important as pointed out in an earlier post (I think we have JAMiAN to thank for that insight ).

BTW, if you are ever in Arlington Cemetary, visit the grave of the son of General Miegs. The marker is a fallen soldier covered with his cloak. Very moving.

"L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace."
Post #: 1
RE: thinking outside the box on Union generals - 7/3/2008 6:44:23 PM   
WarHunter

Treefrog,
One thing to keep in mind, during summer its 100% During winter it drops to 50% using those ratings. Which if ever achieved, would be stellar!
It would take no little amount of effort and a little luck. Maybe using Dix and Meigs, in any and all Amphib landings could be a way to work the ratings up. Place them in the main army with a full compliment of troops. Maybe in the future we will have a screen shot of such a what-if.  
I think it could be done for the union side much easier than the Rebel side. But easy in a relative way. 

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to Treefrog)
Post #: 2
RE: thinking outside the box on Union generals - 7/3/2008 7:16:21 PM   
mavraamides

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

Treefrog,
Maybe using Dix and Meigs, in any and all Amphib landings could be a way to work the ratings up. Place them in the main army with a full compliment of troops.

I like that. I always send them to all newly conquered areas anyway because they build forts / depots cheaper. So its perfect. They're already there to build a fort, might as well lead a few men in the fight while they're at it and build up command rating!

One or both could end up being future superstar TC. Of course they could die too, but that's why games are fun.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 3
RE: thinking outside the box on Union generals - 7/3/2008 8:36:18 PM   
WarHunter

As long as Dix and Meigs have 1 unused Command point, they will still get their primary job done. Have to try attaching the Admin leaders to an AC, like i've been doing with the Cavalry and Artillery.

“We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.”
Marcus Luttrell

(in reply to mavraamides)
Post #: 4
RE: thinking outside the box on Union generals - 7/3/2008 8:38:47 PM   
Twotribes

If they lead troops they run the risk of dieing.

(in reply to WarHunter)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> thinking outside the box on Union generals Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI