Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Production?...so much supply

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Production?...so much supply Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Production?...so much supply - 6/28/2008 1:54:12 AM   
madgamer2

OK brain fart caused temporary thought process blockage. I understand the turn process now but I am sorry to burden
you all with stupid questions so please take pity on an old guy.

1. I watched the computer play several games and it would build 40 pts. of supply in Washington and get just that supply being produced. I built the same 40 Pts. as the North and every production phase I get 10-15 cities produce 10-50 pts of supply that I did not build. Is there a reason for this? I end up with 3000+ supply by the end of 61. I could build enough art. to go end to end from Washington to Richmond. Is there a way to stop this insanity?

2. The manual says that there is a 60% or 70% chance that Ken. will go to the non invading side. Can anyone really invade on the first turn? The computer Eeb AI waits till Sept 61 and then invades. It seems that if I invade on that month it goes to the South with in 2 turns even though we are stalled there with about 1/2 each. I ran this setup for 15 tries and it never was awarded to the North if I waited till the AI invaded. And when I counter invaded I either only lost the combat or had to pay the large garrison cost as well.
If I invaded the AI sits back with lots of troops and just uses the reaction phase to get the advantage. I tried hitting him in several places at the same time but its like the AI knows exactly what I have in each attack

3. The other odd thing is that Aug. and Sept everyone get to move but come Sept. The AI invades and no one gets to move except a few stacks that have not got enough movement points to do much. know its asking a lot but could SOMEONE PM me with some help. I can't even figure out if having the transports on the rivers helps getting across or why the AI North always moves them all to Cairo. This may be an impossible task to try to help but I hope some one tries (SIGH)

Madgamer
Post #: 1
RE: Production?...so much supply - 6/28/2008 12:20:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer
1. I watched the computer play several games and it would build 40 pts. of supply in Washington and get just that supply being produced. I built the same 40 Pts. as the North and every production phase I get 10-15 cities produce 10-50 pts of supply that I did not build. Is there a reason for this? I end up with 3000+ supply by the end of 61. I could build enough art. to go end to end from Washington to Richmond. Is there a way to stop this insanity?

Any unused production capacity will build supplies. There's really no problem with having too many supplies, so I'm not sure why you'd want to stop it? Usually the Union uses up a fair number of supplies as the war goes on and certainly there seems to be a need in my experience to keep building artillery and ships to replace losses.

quote:

2. The manual says that there is a 60% or 70% chance that Ken. will go to the non invading side. Can anyone really invade on the first turn? The computer Eeb AI waits till Sept 61 and then invades. It seems that if I invade on that month it goes to the South with in 2 turns even though we are stalled there with about 1/2 each. I ran this setup for 15 tries and it never was awarded to the North if I waited till the AI invaded. And when I counter invaded I either only lost the combat or had to pay the large garrison cost as well.

I have seen it go to the North permanently, but the highest chance is only if the other side invades on the first turn. When the AI invades in September, the chance is substantially smaller that it will become a permanent Union state. Typically, it just becomes a Union or Confederate leaning state based on who controls all the population centers.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 2
RE: Production?...so much supply - 6/28/2008 12:22:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: madgamer
3. The other odd thing is that Aug. and Sept everyone get to move but come Sept. The AI invades and no one gets to move except a few stacks that have not got enough movement points to do much. know its asking a lot but could SOMEONE PM me with some help. I can't even figure out if having the transports on the rivers helps getting across or why the AI North always moves them all to Cairo. This may be an impossible task to try to help but I hope some one tries (SIGH)

It sounds like the problem is that your commanders are just not getting initiative when you'd like them to, which is frankly typical of the game and history. The best thing to do is to build depots in the areas near Kentucky where your forces are forming and if possible to move an Army commander there as well. That combination will give you the best chance of getting commanders with initiative so that you can respond to an invasion of Kentucky or mount one yourself.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to madgamer2)
Post #: 3
RE: Production?...so much supply - 6/28/2008 10:12:48 PM   
madgamer2

Thanks Eric,
I was thinking that this was the case with supply. I thought at first that it was not just producing extra supply because there was a button that asks if you want extra supply built from the unused production. I now produce extra Art. and all the ships I can build. I do have 2 dumb questions:
1. If artillery is in an area without a leader will it still fire?

2. when you get a note about a transport being sunk does it mater where you put the replacement? It seems to me I got such a message and could not find any areas that did not have at least one transport.

thanks,.....now if I could just stop playing this game and do all the unnecessary thinks like eating and sleeping.

Madgamer

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Production?...so much supply - 6/28/2008 11:05:50 PM   
madgamer2

I had a very odd thing happen at the start that had me scratching my head. Reaction phases are not new to GG's games or board games of the past but the concept in WbtS puts a whole new twist on it. The north spends a large part of the game "In enemy areas" and so the Reb'00s get a reaction phase almost every turn. This does force the Yanks to keep the attacks rolling so as to create more holes than the Rebs can patch.
On the firs turn as pointed out in the video the North can take WV on turn one which leaves that one unit in what is now US soil thus giving the Yanks a reaction phase on the next several turns as the Reb AI did not move the unit but brought more there. Now on the third turn the AI invades KY I got a reaction phase on turn 3 & 4 which helped me win a major victory at Louisville. The Rebs are still in that one WV area and the Yanks are pushing them out of KY. I hold Louisville and Lexington but areas to the south He has a force in Bowling Green and Paducah but will be surrounded soon as a unit is moving south from MI to cut the rail to Little Rock, which might be a mistake as the Rebs will then have a shot with there own reaction phase.

Madganer

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Production?...so much supply Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI