Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Best Civil War Museums?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Best Civil War Museums? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best Civil War Museums? - 6/25/2008 12:36:27 AM   
Gil R.

Jonah's comment in the other thread about the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond got me wondering about which museums that are not found at battlefields are the best. There are a number of them scattered around, especially in Confederate territory, and I'm sure that a number of these are worth a visit.
Post #: 1
RE: Best Civil War Museums? - 6/25/2008 2:00:13 AM   
Jonah

Okay, best Museums:

1. As I already said, the Museum of the condederacy is the best: From Jackson's Jacket with bullet holes to Longstreet's dress uniform. This has it all.( And a great gift shop with magnificent books, minature collectibles and more!)

2. White house of the confedeacy is great. All the furniture and items of Davis, this museum is magnificent. Having been there twice saying I live thousands of miles away  alone shows it's magnificent.  

3. Petersburg Museum of the soldier. This outstanding museum is a little out of the way but is outstanding. Been there twice and I love it. With audio guide, you choose what soldier you want to be, Example: Private from the Texas Brigade, sergent from he Iron brigade, Private from Pender-Scales brigade, Corpral from the 20th maine ect...
Each unique audio guide depicts your service in the war, you walk through camps, 'lines of march' on era roads, Recruiment offices and finnaly a battle area with expert lighting and sound affects depicting Gettysburg where the fate of your character is decided and if you live what he does later in the war. A Magnificent work, Well worth the drive.

4. Washington and Lee Museum. This museum in the famous school shows things of the civil war and our country's amking. With Washington's diary, Lee's letters and uniform as well as the room of which Lee Died in, never yet touched since that very day. This museum does justice to America's two of the three great american leaders, the third being Ronald Reagan. This is a great place and I highly reccomend it.

5. Jackson's Home. Down the street from Washington and Lee is Jackson's home. This is the best preserved home in history, also Where scenes of Gods and Generals was filmed. This magnificent piece of history shows not only the life of our beloved commander, but also the day to day life in southern homes.

6. New Market. While the battle was fought by no more then 12,564 men, this is well preserved and has a great museum. While lacking in historical artfacts, this shows the battle and the rest of the war with state of the art equipment. This museum is well worth the visit and also has a recreational camp.

7. Vicksburg Museum. One of the better museums on the battlefield itself, this shows the lives of civilians in that city during the siege as well as the campaign itself. A great museum, it is worth the visit. 

8. Mufreesboro museum. This museum is your typical battlefield museum, but it's true specialty is in it's 'Researc system'. This allows you to see if any of your realitives fought at that battle and other intresting facts. Aditionlly this shows reenact ments, demonstrations and living history every day.

That's about it!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 2
RE: Best Civil War Museums? - 6/25/2008 2:14:35 AM   
Gil R.

I'm sad to say that I haven't been to those (though I should be getting to the Richmond one(s), at least, early next week). What about the Atlanta Cyclorama? I was in Atlanta last year but instead went to see Kennesaw Mountain (not a bad choice, I'm sure).

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

(in reply to Jonah)
Post #: 3
RE: Best Civil War Museums? - 6/25/2008 2:17:44 AM   
Jonah

The Cyclorama isn't worth it. I wouldn't go. Kenesaw mountain, New Hope church, Stone mountain and others are fine but the cyclorama isn't worth the drive or wait.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 4
RE: Best Civil War Museums? - 7/2/2008 4:43:11 AM   
Gil R.

You were right about the Museum of the Confederacy. I was there this morning, and it is indeed excellent. There are so many unique artifacts that it's hard to remember them all, but for me the blood-stained sash that J.E.B. Stuart was wearing at Yellow Tavern stands out.

So much of the items in that museum have been amassed over the years through family donations. Is there anything remotely close to this for the Union? I know that the Smithsonian has an excellent exhibit, but I don't recall there being items belonging to two dozen or so of the most famous Union generals. (Perhaps family heirlooms from the Union side are staying in families' control, or else going to smaller regional museums?)

(in reply to Jonah)
Post #: 5
RE: Best Civil War Museums? - 7/2/2008 6:00:38 AM   
Jonah

Regretfully no. The union have not kept their uniforms ect. The smithsonian has a few things but not much from ACW. So there is no one building with that many artifacts of the union army like the Museum of the CSA.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Best Civil War Museums? - 7/2/2008 10:34:14 AM   
timetraveller

If you ever get further south on another trip and you're into railroading too, be sure not to miss the Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History, in Kennesaw, Georgia. It's near Atlanta, a few miles north of Marietta, GA. Inside is The General, the famed 4-4-0 locomotive stolen from the Confederates during the Andrews raid on April 12, 1862.

http://roadsidegeorgia.com/site/southern_museum.html
http://www.southernmuseum.org/

One of the best Civil War adventure books I have ever read is "Daring and Suffering", by William Pittenger who was a member of the Andrews raid. It is a true story of that adventure and the hardship and imprisonment they suffered. The book was written a few years after the war. It is available at the museum, or presumably you can get it from Amazon as well.

Bill

< Message edited by timetraveller -- 7/2/2008 10:37:46 AM >

(in reply to Jonah)
Post #: 7
RE: Best Civil War Museums? - 7/2/2008 2:31:30 PM   
Gil R.

Interesting. I don't think I've heard of this one. With any luck, I'll be in Atlanta again before too long.

(in reply to timetraveller)
Post #: 8
RE: Best Civil War Museums? - 7/5/2008 4:56:08 AM   
Randomizer

In 1991 I had the oportunity to visit the Confederate Cemetary in Rock Island IL but the big draw there was the Rock Island Arsenal Museum, a must for anybody interested in small arms.  At least it was then.
Best Regards.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Best Civil War Museums? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI