Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GLIDER OIPERATIONS

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> GLIDER OIPERATIONS Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/19/2008 9:15:20 PM   
Japan

Are you able to implement Gliders?

In real world in Burma, the Allies Lunched a Huge "invation" more or less based on Gliders Only...

Thay were of course also used bu the Japanese, and also used in Europa by both Germany, UK, US and Sovjet..

With Gliders one can move huge amount of force into a consentrated area behind enamy lines, without the force having to be Paratroops...

< Message edited by Japan -- 6/19/2008 9:16:21 PM >

AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&
Post #: 1
RE: GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/19/2008 10:38:03 PM   
Andy Mac

Short answer is no we debated this one long and hard and it is on my list for consideration later we ended up cutting the chindit infantry concept for release.

Instead out of the 5 Chindit Bdes (exl West African Bde that wasnt quite the same) - 14th/16th/23rd/77th and 111th two of them are para capable the other 3 are not - its not a perfect compromise by any stretch of the imagination but I didnt want to give the allies 5 mid 43 para Bdes so I compromised.

As I said not perfect but best we could come up with.

We want to revisit Chindit and Light Infantry concept later but we had to draw the line if we are to get this thing out there sometime.

Andy

(in reply to Japan)
Post #: 2
RE: GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/20/2008 5:48:20 PM   
Oldguard1970

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andy Mac

Short answer is no we debated this one long and hard and it is on my list for consideration later we ended up cutting the chindit infantry concept for release.

Instead out of the 5 Chindit Bdes (exl West African Bde that wasnt quite the same) - 14th/16th/23rd/77th and 111th two of them are para capable the other 3 are not - its not a perfect compromise by any stretch of the imagination but I didnt want to give the allies 5 mid 43 para Bdes so I compromised.

As I said not perfect but best we could come up with.

We want to revisit Chindit and Light Infantry concept later but we had to draw the line if we are to get this thing out there sometime.

Andy

That seems a fine compromise to me. The airborne parachute operation can be reinforced by airlanding follow on troops by transport aircraft.

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 3
RE: GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/20/2008 6:28:20 PM   
Japan

OK, looks good that ye

AAR VIDEO
THE FIRST YEAR + THE SECOND YEAR
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2133035&mpage=1&key=&

(in reply to Oldguard1970)
Post #: 4
RE: GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/20/2008 8:48:43 PM   
Alexander Seil

What about glider operations (Allied and Japanese alike) in general, though? Any hope for it sometime in the future? Gliders enable the delivery of much heavier equipment with the paradrops (or just really concentrated insertion), so it's not at all the same as just jumping out of a plane and hoping to land within a few miles of the target.

Besides, it would be pretty cool to have gliders in the aircraft database :D

(in reply to Japan)
Post #: 5
RE: GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/20/2008 10:44:11 PM   
Dili

I think RHS?CHS put them(plus the towing aircraft) in database but they work only for paratroopers in assault.

(in reply to Alexander Seil)
Post #: 6
RE: GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/21/2008 12:32:15 AM   
Alexander Seil

It seems that they would need to come up with a piece of code to actually allow transport aircraft to "tow" them somehow, as well as pieces of code relating to relatively more casualties on landing in densely forested/urban terrain (although, with hexes this large, maybe not).

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 7
RE: GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/21/2008 2:43:46 AM   
Dili

You can somewhat model it making a transport plane slower and much less maneuverable. With current code it is impossible to model the assault phase and the broken gliders, tough they arent dificult to replace. Maybe a very low durability can make them comparable to IRL.

< Message edited by Dili -- 6/21/2008 2:45:49 AM >

Post #: 8
RE: GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/21/2008 9:20:19 AM   
Alexander Seil

Well, they'd naturally need to add more code, which is what I'm hoping for (maybe in the 5th patch for AE or so)? There are really two problems - towing (and the effect that has on the vulnerability and range of the transport planes) and the fact that gliders are basically single-use items. I suppose a crude way of modeling it would just "assume" gliders in an airborne operation (of certain characteristics) and adjust casualties on landing and other such things accordingly. There is no absolute need to have gliders as a separate aircraft (however awesome that would be).

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 9
RE: GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/21/2008 1:02:14 PM   
Dili

Like i said towing is not a problem now that you have more slots. You just have to make a version of transport plane performance towing the glider: Less maneuverality, speed etc. The problem is it with eventual re-use in next day. If it is a 20 plane squadron it is not dificult to imagine another 20 gliders stored in airbase for next day operation, another is a 500-1000 plane attack. The big problem are mostly in the fact that you cant use other units than paratroopers. I guess that even the casuality rate of a paradrop is not far of a casualiy rate of a glider attack so that is already in the code.

Post #: 10
RE: GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/22/2008 12:07:44 AM   
Alexander Seil

But there is a problem with towing - if you set up a "glider-carrying" version of a transport plane, it's obviously not interchangeable with a regular transport plane. You still need to add the code to switch between the two modes. Besides, in some cases (particularly with Soviet gliders), the towing aircraft were bombers, not transport planes (although this point is less relevant in this theater).

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 11
RE: GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/23/2008 12:40:33 AM   
Dili

You could make a plane upgrade to Glider towing version and back to it again, same for the bomber.

Post #: 12
RE: GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/23/2008 3:09:36 AM   
Gem35

no offense Japan but your spelling sucks....

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 13
RE: GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/24/2008 12:17:59 AM   
pad152

I don't think gliders would add anything but, I would like to see is airborne troop & supply drops allowed on non base hexes!

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 14
RE: GLIDER OIPERATIONS - 6/24/2008 7:12:36 PM   
Rainer

I second that.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> GLIDER OIPERATIONS Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI