Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question about unit counters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Question about unit counters Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question about unit counters - 6/17/2008 7:08:41 PM   
Crimguy

I just wrote a 1000 word complaint about the manual, but decided to delete it and go back to the old way of asking questions as they come along, instead of toilet-bowling everything.

So - what does the number at the top right of the unit counter mean? Why did no one see it fit to include a picture of a unit counter with little lines pointing to each of those numbers, with text boxes at the other end to explain what they mean?

Post #: 1
RE: Question about unit counters - 6/17/2008 7:20:40 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crimguy
So - what does the number at the top right of the unit counter mean? Why did no one see it fit to include a picture of a unit counter with little lines pointing to each of those numbers, with text boxes at the other end to explain what they mean?

That's the movement of the unit. This is covered, if I recall correctly, in the video and in-game tutorials. I'd be surprised if the manual doesn't mention it, but I know the tutorials do.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 2
RE: Question about unit counters - 6/17/2008 7:25:38 PM   
Erik Rutins

FYI, this is from 4.2.1 where it explains the Unit Box (where you're seeing those icons and numbers). I've bolded the applicable section:

"The following information is always displayed on the various unit counters:
Leader units – name, rank (appropriate banner if Theater or Army Commander), command points remaining/total command points, movement points remaining.
Combat units – designation, movement points remaining (right upper corner), number of units in stack (left upper corner - always 1 in the second level unit box).
Supply units – number of supply points in unit
Infrastructure units – number of units in stack and damage status (infrastructure units are stacked by damage status). A green circle means undamaged, yellow fire signifies level 1 damage, and red fire means level 2 damage."

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Question about unit counters - 6/17/2008 8:13:26 PM   
Crimguy

Eric - the problem is there is all that text in section 4.2.1, but no explanation of which number is which. It needs a picture.

The videos go into it, but an all-encompassing rundown of all the info on the counter is needed IMHO.

Post #: 4
RE: Question about unit counters - 6/17/2008 11:59:00 PM   
incbob

I hate to say I agree with this, but yes I think it would be helpful to have a picture. I know the video tutorials go into it and I know it is talked about in the text of the manual, but they don't lie when they say "a picture is worth a thousand words." This old school board gamer would love to see a picture with a little drawing showing what each thing is. I have thought about doing it myself, but have ran out of time.

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 5
RE: Question about unit counters - 6/18/2008 1:09:49 AM   
rjh1971

quote:

Eric - the problem is there is all that text in section 4.2.1, but no explanation of which number is which. It needs a picture.

The videos go into it, but an all-encompassing rundown of all the info on the counter is needed IMHO.

Does this help?, it won't be in the manual but...

Attachment (1)

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 6
RE: Question about unit counters - 6/18/2008 1:14:56 AM   
Erik Rutins

A lot of that is in the manual in other sections, actually, and there is a screenshot of the unit box in the same section that tells you that the movement is in the upper right corner. With that said, I think the above chart is a nice play aid and I agree that including a labeled screenshot in that section would have helped make it more clear which was the movement number.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 7
RE: Question about unit counters - 6/18/2008 2:29:41 AM   
elmo3

Nice pic rjh. To add to your pic:

the red arrow means a leader has initiative this turn
the green circle on an infrastructure unit means it is undamaged
the three little stacked boxes in the lower left of a unit means it's in supply.

Post #: 8
RE: Question about unit counters - 6/18/2008 3:27:01 AM   
Crimguy

That is very helpful, thanks!

Is that 3rd number on Jackson's ratings his movement? I thought it was his Infantry value.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjh1971

Does this help?, it won't be in the manual but...

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 9
RE: Question about unit counters - 6/18/2008 3:36:27 AM   
Bo Rearguard

The third number varies in it's meaning depending on the leader type. If the general is a administrator or engineer it usually refers to his admin rating.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 10
RE: Question about unit counters - 6/18/2008 8:03:07 AM   
Roger Neilson II

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

Nice pic rjh. To add to your pic:

the red arrow means a leader has initiative this turn
the green circle on an infrastructure unit means it is undamaged
the three little stacked boxes in the lower left of a unit means it's in supply.

Added to graphic...

Roger

Attachment (1)

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 11
RE: Question about unit counters - 6/18/2008 11:51:08 AM   
TheTomDude

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

The third number varies in it's meaning depending on the leader type. If the general is a administrator or engineer it usually refers to his admin rating.

Correct. The third number corresponds with the infantry/cavalry/artillery or administration value of the leader. Depending on what kind of leader it is.

One more thing. I don't have a screenie at hand but there is one or more little stars over the supplied-icon on the unit box of some units that fought battles. Is this some sort of veteran status for the unit?

< Message edited by TheTomDude -- 6/18/2008 11:55:37 AM >

(in reply to Bo Rearguard)
Post #: 12
RE: Question about unit counters - 6/18/2008 12:27:14 PM   
GShock

Unit Experience.

(in reply to TheTomDude)
Post #: 13
RE: Question about unit counters - 6/18/2008 1:19:02 PM   
rjh1971

quote:

That is very helpful, thanks!

Is that 3rd number on Jackson's ratings his movement? I thought it was his Infantry value.

We're talking about the same thing, you used the proper name infantry rating or value, that rating is the number of movement points it adds to the infantry movement point when the leader gains initiative, so when Jackson has initiative and only infantry units attached he will have 5 movement points (1inf+4leader)

The third number for the administrative leader is not for movement but his administrative rating, being six the best. For cavalry and artillery units it represents the mp that will be added to the ones of cavalry and arty.

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 14
RE: Question about unit counters - 6/19/2008 6:52:37 AM   
tran505

Yes -- thanks for the great diagrams! I thought I knew this stuff and I still learned something.

P

(in reply to rjh1971)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Gary Grigsby's War Between the States >> Question about unit counters Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI