Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1780 British warship found in lake

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> 1780 British warship found in lake Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1780 British warship found in lake - 6/14/2008 11:34:02 PM   
andym

this may be of interest to you rebellious colonials.

A 22-gun British warship that sank during the American Revolution and has long been regarded as one of the "Holy Grail" shipwrecks in the Great Lakes has been discovered at the bottom of Lake Ontario.
HMS Ontario was astonishingly well-preserved in the cold, deep water, explorers said.

Shipwreck enthusiasts Jim Kennard and Dan Scoville used side-scanning sonar and an unmanned submersible to locate the ship, which was lost with barely a trace and as many as 130 people aboard during a gale in 1780.
The 80-ft sloop is the oldest shipwreck and the only fully intact British warship found in the Great Lakes, Mr Scoville and Mr Kennard said.
"To have a Revolutionary War vessel that's practically intact is unbelievable. It's an archaeological miracle," said Canadian author Arthur Britton Smith, who chronicled the history of the HMS Ontario in a 1997 book, The Legend Of The Lake.

The finders of the wreck said they regard it as a war grave and have no plans to raise it or remove any of its artefacts. They said the ship was still considered the property of the British Admiralty.

Although the vessel sits in an area where the water is up to 500ft deep and cannot be reached by anyone but the most experienced divers, Mr Kennard and Mr Scoville declined to give its exact location, saying only that it was found off the southern shore.

The sloop was discovered resting partially on its side, with two masts extending more than 70ft above the lake bottom.

"Usually when ships go down in big storms, they get beat up quite a bit. They don't sink nice and square. This went down in a huge storm, and it still managed to stay intact," Mr Scoville said.
"There are even two windows that aren't broken. Just going down, the pressure difference, can break the windows. It's a beautiful ship."

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=8594200

Found few pics.

< Message edited by andym -- 6/15/2008 12:47:26 AM >

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
Post #: 1
RE: 1780 British warship found in lake - 6/15/2008 1:35:59 AM   
bradfordkay

Beautiful pics... It's nice that she is so well preserved. I hope that someone will produce a book with all of their photos...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 2
RE: 1780 British warship found in lake - 6/15/2008 7:00:04 PM   
Grell

That's very interesting thank you for that Andy.

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 3
RE: 1780 British warship found in lake - 6/15/2008 8:55:29 PM   
andym

I find it amazing that it is so intact.very little of it has been damaged or missing given its age.I remember the Mary Rose being raised in the late 70's.i was stationed at the Royal Naval Hospital Haslar in Gosport and had  ringside view of it from my cabin window,thats nothing compared to the Ontario.I do hope they put more pics on the net.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 4
RE: 1780 British warship found in lake - 6/16/2008 5:01:59 PM   
105mm Howitzer

It's the fault of the Americans she sank. They obviously controlled the weather that day. Long live the King.

ps: weak attempt at a joke, don't get in a snit, South of the Border.

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum" - Publius Renatus, 390 A.D.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 5
RE: 1780 British warship found in lake - 6/18/2008 4:11:48 PM   
Mundy

quote:

ORIGINAL: andym

I find it amazing that it is so intact.very little of it has been damaged or missing given its age.I remember the Mary Rose being raised in the late 70's.i was stationed at the Royal Naval Hospital Haslar in Gosport and had  ringside view of it from my cabin window,thats nothing compared to the Ontario.I do hope they put more pics on the net.

Ships that go down in the Great Lakes tend to be well preserved. At least one F4F Wildcat which went down in Lake Michigan during WWII has been restored to flying condition. I think the SB2U in the Naval Aviation Museum came out of the drink, too.

Pulling out 100 yr plus old logs which had been sunk is done nowadays, also.

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 6
RE: 1780 British warship found in lake - 6/19/2008 2:55:22 PM   
Raverdave

At what depth was she found???

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to Mundy)
Post #: 7
RE: 1780 British warship found in lake - 6/19/2008 8:35:40 PM   
andym

500 feet down.

(in reply to Raverdave)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> 1780 British warship found in lake Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI