Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New bug tracker - How to Report a Bug

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> New bug tracker - How to Report a Bug Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New bug tracker - How to Report a Bug - 6/13/2008 7:08:47 AM   
delatbabel

Hi all,

We have implemented a new bug tracking system for EiA. Unfortunately a lot of the old bugs that were around at the time Richard / Monadman was maintaining the bug list appear to have been lost. The test team has been scraping the forums to re-enter all of the bugs and re-prioritise them for the development team, but there are almost certainly some that we have missed.

Here is the location of the bug tracker:

http://eiamantis.babel.com.au/

Here is how to report bugs:

* Point your browser at http://eiamantis.babel.com.au/
* If you don't already have a login there, click on the link that says Signup for a new account. You will need to create an account by giving your email address and a login name. A link to set a password will be emailed back to you, so make sure that you use your valid email address.
* Once you have a login, and have logged in, click the "Report Issue" link at the top of the page.
* Enter as much detail as you can for your bug.
* Bugs that have saved game files attached will get higher priority and will be dealt with by the development team faster than bugs that do not have saved game files attached. Make sure you have zipped together both the .sav and the .sav.dat file for your saved game and upload it to the bug tracker along with your bug.

Other notes:

* Please stop using the "Reporting Bugs post-1.02" thread and create new bug reports in the bug tracker.
* Please stop using the main / non-technical support forum for creating bug reports.
* If you aren't sure if something is a bug or if it has been reported before, please feel free to discuss it in the technical support forum. Eventually, all bugs will have to go into the bug tracker, however, so if you're asked to enter something there please don't feel offended if you've already mentioned it here in this forum.

I apologise for having to ask everyone to do this but I'm sure that this is working towards a more robust and more bug-free EiA product for everyone.

Thanx,

< Message edited by delatbabel -- 6/15/2008 3:48:21 AM >

--
Del
Post #: 1
RE: New bug tracker - 6/13/2008 7:10:26 AM   
delatbabel

... Check the attachments for the bug list.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by delatbabel -- 6/13/2008 7:14:06 AM >

--
Del

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 2
RE: New bug tracker - 6/13/2008 10:28:13 AM   
DCWhitworth

Thanks for the work on this Del I'm sure it's appreciated by the community.

Could I suggest you review the format of the list you've posted here ? It's not very easy to read nor to sort. A TSV or CSV list would make searching it a little easier, although putting it into an attachment perhaps isn't very visible or accessible, for one thing it won't show up on forum searches.

Sorry I don't mean to come across as negative, I think this is a very positive move, I just want to try and provide some constructive feedback.

Regards
David

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 3
RE: New bug tracker - 6/13/2008 10:34:25 AM   
delatbabel

I did try attaching a CSV file however the forum won't let me (it only wants gif, jpg, text, or zip). I could save the CSV file as a text file however then I found my browser didn't know what to do with it.

The other options I could use are to zip the file then attach the zip file, or to save it as an openoffice spreadsheet and zip that and attach that, however that's probably getting to a level of technical that's too much for some people. At least clicking on the text file does open it in a browser window which seems easy enough for most people.

Later tonight I'll have a go at extracting the data in a different form and saving it to the forum directly, however last time I tried that it messed up the display of the post so it needs a bit more thinking and/or manual reformatting.

--
Del

(in reply to DCWhitworth)
Post #: 4
RE: New bug tracker - 6/13/2008 1:36:51 PM   
delatbabel

CSV file attached for those who are interested in it.

Attachment (1)

--
Del

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 5
RE: New bug tracker - 6/13/2008 2:40:38 PM   
delatbabel

Note to all -- if you're not sure if some bug you have up your sleeve is already reported then mention it here. I'll have a look at the bug tracker and confirm whether it's there or not.

--
Del

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 6
RE: New bug tracker - 6/13/2008 3:32:52 PM   
pzgndr

Three items:

Marshall said earlier "R299 should address the instability", regarding what I saw when Prussia dipped into instability and Russia lost its minors.  He also thought the issue might be Russia dipping in and out of instability incorrectly.  Should verify.

Placing a depot in an area with an enemy controlled city and not friendly unmoved corps present.  Maybe already fixed? 

UI enhancement request for better info on Unit Report screen. Show current/max factors.

< Message edited by pzgndr -- 6/13/2008 4:03:22 PM >

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 7
RE: New bug tracker - 6/13/2008 4:39:43 PM   
delatbabel

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr
Three items:

Marshall said earlier "R299 should address the instability", regarding what I saw when Prussia dipped into instability and Russia lost its minors. He also thought the issue might be Russia dipping in and out of instability incorrectly. Should verify.

We saw this issue mentioned on the forum but we were unable to duplicate it. Do you have a saved game where it occurs or has occurred?

quote:

Placing a depot in an area with an enemy controlled city and not friendly unmoved corps present. Maybe already fixed?

Not afaik, if you have a save game that'd be great.

quote:

UI enhancement request for better info on Unit Report screen. Show current/max factors.

I don't think that's on our list either so please elaborate and I'll put it on there.

--
Del

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 8
RE: New bug tracker - 6/13/2008 4:59:04 PM   
pzgndr

Del, I don't have the saves but here are links to my original postings showing screenshoots for the instability and depot issues.

For the UI enhancement, here's what I suggested the other day:

quote:

Another UI request for the Unit Report screen. It would be nice if the screen was larger and/or font smaller to show both current factors and max factors for units. Normal Supply could just read Normal under the Supply column to make that one smaller.

Also, some totals for home country land unit factors would be helpful, summing total current and max factors. This would be helpful for seeing how many builds are needed. If factors in the production queue could also be shown under these totals, that would be great. For example, I could have 15/20 Cav total with 2 being built. I would then know not to build more than 3 with the current units.

Hope this helps. BTW, bug tracker list looks good. Sooner or later once everything is checked off, EiANW will shine. Looking forward to that. I'll continue to be patient and see what v1.03 brings.

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 9
RE: New bug tracker - 6/13/2008 7:48:30 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: DCWhitworth

Thanks for the work on this Del I'm sure it's appreciated by the community.

Could I suggest you review the format of the list you've posted here ? It's not very easy to read nor to sort. A TSV or CSV list would make searching it a little easier, although putting it into an attachment perhaps isn't very visible or accessible, for one thing it won't show up on forum searches.

Sorry I don't mean to come across as negative, I think this is a very positive move, I just want to try and provide some constructive feedback.

This format will work. Write a macro to open it using fixed widths for the column.

If nobody does so during the day today, I will write one this weekend and post it (as text). Anybody can then add it to Excel to open this text file.

Delatbabel: Can we get the file posted to an FTP server instead of (or in addition to) on the web server forums?

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

Post #: 10
RE: New bug tracker - 6/14/2008 1:42:28 AM   
delatbabel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

Delatbabel: Can we get the file posted to an FTP server instead of (or in addition to) on the web server forums?

Yes, it's possible, but in the next few days (I guess) the bug tracker will be open to the public. So you can log in to it yourself, create a bug report extract as a CSV file and manipulate it in Excel or OpenOffice to your heart's content.

Currently the bug database changes every hour or so at least with me and others reporting new bugs and Marshall applying new fixes. So if I put the file for download on an FTP server it'd be out of date as soon as it got there.

I'd rather spend the time that I'd otherwise spend doing that getting the bug tracker ready for public release.

--
Del

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 11
RE: New bug tracker - 6/14/2008 2:13:58 AM   
delatbabel

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

Del, I don't have the saves but here are links to my original postings showing screenshoots for the instability and depot issues.

For the UI enhancement, here's what I suggested the other day:

quote:

Another UI request for the Unit Report screen. It would be nice if the screen was larger and/or font smaller to show both current factors and max factors for units. Normal Supply could just read Normal under the Supply column to make that one smaller.

Also, some totals for home country land unit factors would be helpful, summing total current and max factors. This would be helpful for seeing how many builds are needed. If factors in the production queue could also be shown under these totals, that would be great. For example, I could have 15/20 Cav total with 2 being built. I would then know not to build more than 3 with the current units.

Hope this helps. BTW, bug tracker list looks good. Sooner or later once everything is checked off, EiANW will shine. Looking forward to that. I'll continue to be patient and see what v1.03 brings.

OK, I have added the three issues mentioned above. Note that the first one has been there but is marked as "unable to reproduce" -- I ran a test game where I drove Prussia to instability and Russia didn't lose any minors, and so I can't repeat the issue. There are a few other issues in the bug tracker about instability and minor country control and so hopefully if there is an issue there it will be swept up with the other fixes. If, however, you see it happen again please re-report it and give us a save game.

Yes, I remember the bit about placing depots outside enemy controlled cities, I participated in that debate! I'm still not sure it's a bug as per the rules but it's in the bug tracker and Marshall said that he would fix it.

The UI request is in as well, thanks for the report.

--
Del

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 12
RE: New bug tracker - 6/15/2008 1:12:10 AM   
Jimmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: delatbabel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

Yes, it's possible, but in the next few days (I guess) the bug tracker will be open to the public. So you can log in to it yourself, create a bug report extract as a CSV file and manipulate it in Excel or OpenOffice to your heart's content.

Currently the bug database changes every hour or so at least with me and others reporting new bugs and Marshall applying new fixes. So if I put the file for download on an FTP server it'd be out of date as soon as it got there.

I'd rather spend the time that I'd otherwise spend doing that getting the bug tracker ready for public release.

Ahhh. No need then. Thanks!

At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 13
RE: New bug tracker - 6/15/2008 3:49:15 AM   
delatbabel

And the information you've been waiting for (copied from the edited version of the post at the top of the page).

Here is the location of the bug tracker:

http://eiamantis.babel.com.au/

Here is how to report bugs:

* Point your browser at http://eiamantis.babel.com.au/
* If you don't already have a login there, click on the link that says Signup for a new account. You will need to create an account by giving your email address and a login name. A link to set a password will be emailed back to you, so make sure that you use your valid email address.
* Once you have a login, and have logged in, click the "Report Issue" link at the top of the page.
* Enter as much detail as you can for your bug.
* Bugs that have saved game files attached will get higher priority and will be dealt with by the development team faster than bugs that do not have saved game files attached. Make sure you have zipped together both the .sav and the .sav.dat file for your saved game and upload it to the bug tracker along with your bug.

--
Del

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 14
RE: New bug tracker - 6/16/2008 8:41:06 AM   
delatbabel

Thanks to everyone who has registered, logged in to, and no doubt perused the bugs and enhancement requests on the bug tracking system so far. A special prize (*) goes to Jimmer for the first community member to report a bug along with a save game that none of the test team had spotted so far.

In case you're wondering, the process from here is that:

• I or one of the other members of the test team will pick up the bug, load the save game file on 1.02k and verify that the bug exists. Also load the save game file on Marshall's latest 1.03 DEV executable in case it's been fixed there already.
  • If the bug still exists, make a comment that it's been verified and assign it to Marshall. Also verify the priority and impact of the bug.
  • If the bug has been fixed, mark it as resolved.
  • Marshall at some stage picks up the bug, fixes it, and marks it as resolved.
  • When a new pre-release EXE becomes available, one of the test team picks up the bug again and verifies that it has in fact been fixed. We are also working on a regression test programme which should in theory pick up reoccurrences of past bugs.
  • Once that release goes out the door, mark the bug as "closed".

So you can see from the status of your bug report where it's at in the system, and potentially when Marshall is likely to be working on it.

(*) for suitable selected values of "special" that mean "none at all", but it was a nice thought anyway.

< Message edited by delatbabel -- 6/16/2008 8:42:24 AM >

--
Del

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 15
RE: New bug tracker - 6/16/2008 5:55:27 PM   
Jimmer

quote:

Thanks to everyone who has registered, logged in to, and no doubt perused the bugs and enhancement requests on the bug tracking system so far. A special prize (*) goes to Jimmer for the first community member to report a bug along with a save game that none of the test team had spotted so far.

(*) for suitable selected values of "special" that mean "none at all", but it was a nice thought anyway.

Ahhh <blushing>, gee thanks.

Whatever AM I going to do with it?

So, where did the other 103 bugs come from?

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 16
RE: New bug tracker - 6/17/2008 2:57:13 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Yes, I want to thank you all as well!

BTW: If you don't see me fixing a lot of your bugs right away, it is because I am deep in work on AI tactical moving for my next test release!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 17
RE: New bug tracker - 6/17/2008 5:39:03 PM   
Jimmer

For the leader lost one, we can semi work around it by having the other power repatriate the leader. But, he gets an extra 2PP out of the deal. So, it's not major, but not trivial either.

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 18
RE: New bug tracker - 6/20/2008 1:15:46 PM   
bresh

Personnaly i dont see why I need to go to a different site to report bugs, when its a matrixgame.

Cant it be contained to matrix.games for bugs and bug reporting ?

Regards
Bresh

(in reply to Jimmer)
Post #: 19
RE: New bug tracker - 6/20/2008 5:08:35 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Bresh:

I know Matrix is reviewing several options for this. I don't think it will happen in the next day or two but I think they intend to add this type of product on their site eventually.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 20
RE: New bug tracker - 6/20/2008 5:16:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: bresh
Personnaly i dont see why I need to go to a different site to report bugs, when its a matrixgame.
Cant it be contained to matrix.games for bugs and bug reporting ?

We are hosting it offsite for the time being, but we plan to bring it into our domain in the long run. Have no doubt that this is indeed the official reporting system for EIANW though.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 21
RE: New bug tracker - 2/3/2009 11:34:48 PM   
Mimm

We've encountered a bug in PBEM. Neither France nor Prussia can move corps out of Brandenburg (Area 148). We are at enforced peace with France having passage rights in Prussia. Area 148 acts like a black hole. When either the 5 French corps (with leaders) or the 3 Prussian corps (with leaders) try to escape Area 148 they're sucked back into the area.  Peace was declared eight months ago, so the problem doesn't arise from a new battle or surrender.  Clue?--Area 148 has a red border around it anytime I click on any other province.

This is a game stopper for the four human players if we don't solve this.  Any suggestions?

I will happily submit backup files if requested. Yes, I will submit my request through http://eiamantis.babel.com.au/  as request also.
--Thanks,  Mimm.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 22
RE: New bug tracker - 4/6/2009 1:49:35 PM   
Mardonius

Del:

Note that Bug Link is down...

best
Mardonius

(in reply to Mimm)
Post #: 23
RE: New bug tracker - 4/6/2009 1:55:53 PM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mardonius

Del:

Note that Bug Link is down...

best
Mardonius

Works for me. I think it has been moved recently so there may be some lingering DNS issues. (trans - some internet servers may still have the wrong address)

Regards
David

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 24
RE: New bug tracker - 4/6/2009 3:43:55 PM   
ndrose

Seems to be down now again, though it was working again briefly yesterday, I think. At least it's not still redirecting to Australian ceramics.

Post #: 25
RE: New bug tracker - 4/6/2009 3:48:50 PM   
NeverMan

These problems could be alleviated if Matrix were to won their own bug tracking system for their games.

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 26
RE: New bug tracker - 4/6/2009 3:49:31 PM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: ndrose

Seems to be down now again, though it was working again briefly yesterday, I think. At least it's not still redirecting to Australian ceramics.

Still working for me. The site isn't down, I think your DNS server is pointing you to the wrong place.

Regards
David

(in reply to ndrose)
Post #: 27
RE: New bug tracker - 4/6/2009 5:20:17 PM   
Mardonius

Well, if it is ahppening to more than one person -- and I know that it is -- it is a problem. How is it fixed? Can't post it as a bug...

Post #: 28
RE: New bug tracker - 4/6/2009 10:44:32 PM   
delatbabel

Well it isn't down, I've been using it. The problem is that it has been down at some point in the last 2 weeks and Internet Explorer sometimes caches the fact that a site is "down" for an unreasonably long period of time (i.e. if a site is down once then IE sometimes won't let you use it for some days or weeks thereafter, thinking it is still down without bothering to look).

Your potential solutions are:

* Clear your browser cache and try again.
* Use a different browser.
* Complain to Microsoft.

--
Del

(in reply to Mardonius)
Post #: 29
RE: New bug tracker - 4/7/2009 12:49:34 AM   
NeverMan

quote:

Well it isn't down, I've been using it. The problem is that it has been down at some point in the last 2 weeks and Internet Explorer sometimes caches the fact that a site is "down" for an unreasonably long period of time (i.e. if a site is down once then IE sometimes won't let you use it for some days or weeks thereafter, thinking it is still down without bothering to look).

Your potential solutions are:

* Clear your browser cache and try again.
* Use a different browser.
* Complain to Microsoft.

Yes, it's Microsoft's fault. If something doesn't work right let's all blame Microsoft, it seems to work for all the Apple users who can't figure out how to use a PC.

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Tech Support >> New bug tracker - How to Report a Bug Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI