Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Advanced Tactics or Battlefront?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Advanced Tactics or Battlefront? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Advanced Tactics or Battlefront? - 5/21/2008 6:36:38 AM   
Vile

Having enjoyed Peoples Tactics i am tempted to go for Advanced Tactics but i have recently been introduced to and enjoyed Battles in Normandy. Is Battlefront the same deal as BiN? Does it have any Pacific War other than Saipan?

Also, does anyone know of a Tarawa/Betio game? I cant afford to collect the ASL modules to play Bloody Reef (and ASLSK makes my brain ache so ASL is a no no) and HPS Dragons in the Mist is too ugly and old. Could i DIY Tarawa in Advanced Tactics or is the scale too big?(no point in fighting over a 2 hex island!)

Thx in advance
Post #: 1
RE: Advanced Tactics or Battlefront? - 5/21/2008 6:40:43 AM   
cdbeck

I prefer AT hands down. Battlefront has a very limited scenario selection, while AT has tons and a random map generator that will keep you playing forever.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Vile)
Post #: 2
RE: Advanced Tactics or Battlefront? - 5/21/2008 7:43:43 AM   
JAMiAM

Not to mention that there have been reports of people ripping out their eyeballs with rusty forks after having to endure the graphics of Battlefront. AT's graphics may be simplistic and plain, but I would take that any day over the 'carnival fun house on acid' abomination of BF's graphics.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 3
RE: Advanced Tactics or Battlefront? - 5/21/2008 8:14:26 AM   
JeF

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM
AT's graphics may be simplistic and plain, but I would take that any day over the 'carnival fun house on acid' abomination of BF's graphics.

Hey !!!
But I like them !

BF graphics are not for the taste of everybody, for sure.
This is arguable. Vile, if you like the ones in BiN, you'll like BF.

BF is BiN, basically. Scale is slightly different : most units are Bn instead of Regt. So there are some adaptations for time and rules (like direct bombardment for example).
Scenario editor seems to be for trained engineers only and there aren't a lot produced till now (chek : SSG's web site). No other Pacific scenario than Saipan that I'm aware of.

Cheers,

JeF.

Rendez-vous at Loenen before 18:00.
Don't loose your wallet !
Conquest Of The Aegean Web Development Team
The Drop Zone

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 4
RE: Advanced Tactics or Battlefront? - 5/21/2008 2:21:33 PM   
Grell

I would say AT is better than Battlefront because AT has so much. Battlefront came with only 5 or so scenarios. I bought it assuming somebody would make more but no dice.

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to JeF)
Post #: 5
RE: Advanced Tactics or Battlefront? - 5/21/2008 4:23:46 PM   
BvB

Ditto what most are saying here = AT has much more versatility and replay value.  But if you want to better immerse yourself in a certain historical topic then a more historical game may be more appealing...

Enlisted during Nixon, retired during Clinton then went postal - joined the USPS, then retired from that during Obama.

(in reply to Grell)
Post #: 6
RE: Advanced Tactics or Battlefront? - 5/21/2008 6:27:11 PM   
Banquet

Ditto from me too. AT is very addictive with it's limitless random maps that can be created from parameters set by the user. There seem to be a lot of scenario's out for it too.

I don't have Battlefront, but bought BiN and BiI and didn't really get into them. I thought I'd like them because of their board game rules but I just lost interest. The map graphics are not to everyone's tastes. I quite like that style of the graphics but there's also something about the way they're done that make them quite hard to look at for long periods for me.

(in reply to BvB)
Post #: 7
RE: Advanced Tactics or Battlefront? - 5/21/2008 6:37:47 PM   
JudgeDredd

I have the digital download of Advanced Tactics if that's what you opt for. Willing to sell it.

If you want it, pm me

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Advanced Tactics or Battlefront? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI