Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sieges and engineers

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Sieges and engineers Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sieges and engineers - 5/8/2008 1:26:31 PM   
moose1999

I have a few days off, so I'm taking a little time to experiment with FOF.
I'm currently looking into the most effective way to conduct sieges and I'm a little in doubt as to the role engineers play in the different siege types.
Will engineers always help bring down the defence rating of a fort or is it only under certain siege types? For example, will engineers help me in an encirclement siege? The manual states that the defence rating of the fort is lowered by a random number between 1 and 20 - does that mean my dearly bought engineers have no effect in an encirclement siege?
What would be the most effective siege option when I have lots of engineers but no artillery...?

Great to be playing FOF again, by the way. It has been a little while...

regards,

Briny
Post #: 1
RE: Sieges and engineers - 5/17/2008 8:31:36 PM   
ericbabe

Engineers in a fort have a chance to repair it during each siege round.  Base chance is 30%.  For encircle this is reduced to 0%.  For subterfuge, 15%.  If successful, they repair 5%.

Units besieging with engineers have a better chance to damage the walls than normal.  Base chances are: fortI, 20%; fort2, 10%; fort3, 0%.  Modified by type of siege: encircle, x0 entrench, half; bombard and not artillery, 0; subterfuge, 0.  This is, of course, modified by the relative artillery/engineer ratings according to: progressChance += (engineerLevel-4)*5% +    (artilleryLevel-4)*5%, modified x.25 up or down for besieger/defender Siege Technique upgrades.  Modified by x.75 if the defender has breastworks.  If the base chance is reduced below 15%, then the minimum is set to 15% and the damage set to only 1% damage.  The amount of damage an engineer does in this case is based on a multiplier value.  This defaults to 1, but is set to 2 in the case of critical hits, which can happen if both the artillery and engineer rating are strictly greater than four, the fort does not have the bombproof special, and a 10% chance check is made.  If the attacker has the Incendiary Shell upgrade, the multiplier on a critical hit is 4, not 2.  For engineers in an infantry brigade, the multiplier is multiplied by 1% to give the damage done to the fort.

The biggest effect of engineers on sieges comes from the calculation of the engineering ratio.  Forts have an automatic base of 2 engineers.  Here's the code that calculates the engineering advantage in a siege:

int TGame::PH3_Acw_Calc_Engineer_Level(PIECE_HANDLE hSiege)
{
   // levels are in the range of "ratings", from 0 to 9 (see RatingStrings[])
   int att = PH3_Acw_CalcSiege_Engineer(hSiege);
   int def = PH3_Acw_CalcDefender_Engineer(hSiege);

if (def>4*att)
       return 0;
   if (def>3*att)
       return 1;
   if (def>2*att)
       return 2;
   if (def>  att)
       return 3;

if (att>4*def)
       return 8;
   if (att>3*def)
       return 7;
   if (att>2*def)
       return 6;
   if (att>  def)
       return 5;

return 4;
}

As previously mentioned, this modifies the base chance of progress for *every* unit in the siege, not just engineers, as per progressChance += (engineerLevel-4)*5 +    (artilleryLevel-4)*5;, where engineerLevel = PH3_Acw_Calc_Engineer_Level(PIECE_HANDLE hSiege).

Hope that helps.

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Sieges and engineers Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI