Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.02k BETA preview

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> 1.02k BETA preview Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.02k BETA preview - 5/7/2008 1:16:40 AM   
Marshall Ellis

Hey guys:

We're testing 1.02k which we should post in the next few days but this addresses the text log and game file size issue in 1.02j. I have also added a few more which are below:

Fixed in 1.02k
Naval path building for movement is cheating and allowing naval unit to move from an adjacent port to another adjacent port without entering the sea.

Fixed in 1.02k
Besieged port supply not working when the port is a capital of a minor nation.

Fixed in 1.02k
Still having problems finding proper retreats to Adjacent ports in the channel.
(This seemed to only be happening when multiple available ports were adjacent).

Fixed in 1.02k
Text log data getting to large in PBEM games!
You can now rt click the status text log and delete some or all of the messages in the text log. BUT this must be done before any messages are created by the current player in the current phase to prevent a player in PBEM from concealing messages from other players.

Fixed in 1.02k
Date tag is being duplicated when loading PBEM turn files

Fixed in 1.02k
Player QA window is a little larger than background creating a white line at the bottom.

Fixed in 1.02k
Need to change all end phase warnings so that answering YES will proceed through the phase to be consistent

Fixed in 1.02k
Playback buttons in PBEM games are allowing corruption of unit positions. Units can vanish be seen in two places, not be seen in the right place or vanish when clicked.

Anyway, just an FYI...

< Message edited by Marshall Ellis -- 5/8/2008 2:00:51 AM >

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

Post #: 1
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/7/2008 9:35:19 AM   
eske

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Fixed in 1.02k
You can now rt click the status text log and delete some or all of the messages in the text log. BUT this must be done before any messages are created by the current player in the current phase to prevent a player in PBEM from concealing messages from other players.

Would be terribly nice to be able to transport that log to other programs. For parsing, searching, filtering or editing for making newflashes. You name it....

So just some way to save it to a textfile, pleeease.

Edit: Very grateful for this getting this e-mail:
quote:

Hi
Right click on the log area, select copy to clipboard, open notebook and paste the clipboard contents. This gives you a copy of the log.
Trax

Thx Trax
/eske

< Message edited by eske -- 5/7/2008 11:42:14 AM >

Alea iacta est

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 2
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/7/2008 3:11:54 PM   
Bearcat2

Is the besieged city bug been fixed? [when the garrison disappears{not due to out of supply} and your troops occupy]

(in reply to eske)
Post #: 3
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/8/2008 12:10:21 AM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: eske

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marshall Ellis

Fixed in 1.02k

Would be terribly nice to be able to transport that log to other programs. For parsing, searching, filtering or editing for making newflashes. You name it....

So just some way to save it to a textfile, pleeease.

Edit: Very grateful for this getting this e-mail:
quote:

Hi
Right click on the log area, select copy to clipboard, open notebook and paste the clipboard contents. This gives you a copy of the log.
Trax

Thx Trax
/eske

color coding events per nation would be especially nifty...e.g, red for GB, blue for France, green for Russia, etc....also, some kind of dividing line between phases would help....e.g,

Land Phase event 3
Land Phase event 2
Land Phase event 1
--------------------------
Reinf Phase event 3
Reinf Phase event 2
Reinf Phase event 1

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to eske)
Post #: 4
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/8/2008 4:55:48 AM   
dodod

are pp for loaned corp fixed??

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 5
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/10/2008 4:26:53 AM   
Dancing Bear

One thing which I not sure if it is already fixed, is the announcement in the log of the French land phase. The log announces when GB will do her naval phase, but there is not similar annoucement for the French land movement.

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 6
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/11/2008 4:17:00 AM   
Dancing Bear

Ok, it looks like I spoke too soon. The annoucement of the French land phase does appear in the log in the new latest patch.

(in reply to Dancing Bear)
Post #: 7
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/13/2008 7:57:32 PM   
fw1206

Hey guys, did you still recognize, that our alphabet only has 26 letters ??? ;-)
What will they do after version 1.02z ?
1.02za or something like that? Or change to the armenian alphabet, they got 38 letters

Just joking. Take your time and do it right

< Message edited by fw1206 -- 5/13/2008 7:58:06 PM >

(in reply to Dancing Bear)
Post #: 8
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/14/2008 12:04:13 AM   
Marshall Ellis

fw1206:

LOL! I know, I know.
I'm hoping that this will be the last 1.02 BETA posting so that we can fold into a new release and let all of the non-early adopters benefit from the fixes in ALL 1.02 releases!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to fw1206)
Post #: 9
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/14/2008 1:24:22 AM   
dodod

any chance of including a new kingdom or two in the new patch? I realize this s a bit of programming....but slowly the game can become more exciting...kingdom of italy I think would be ideal...with posisible fleet production for austria and spain can actually get a kingdom.

Post #: 10
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/14/2008 4:25:32 AM   
ndrose

I'd like to second Dodod's request for more kingdoms. (And the ability to add provinces to existing ones!) But it might be better to work on those after the 1.03 official release. Adding new features always has the potential to create new bugs. Personally, I download all the betas and rather enjoy the process of ferreting out and reporting any bugs; but not everyone feels that way, and it would probably be better for the game--keeping more people interested in it and playing--if the official release is as stable as possible.

Nathan

(in reply to dodod)
Post #: 11
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/14/2008 1:58:44 PM   
fw1206

I know it's a lot of coding and testing anyway.

But it's good to see, that you still can LOL

Post #: 12
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/14/2008 2:29:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

We're focusing on fixes now - new features are possible once everyone's happy with stability and issues.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to fw1206)
Post #: 13
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/15/2008 2:24:22 PM   
delatbabel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

We're focusing on fixes now - new features are possible once everyone's happy with stability and issues.

It's impossible to make everyone happy.

--
Del

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 14
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/15/2008 3:45:09 PM   
Erik Rutins

Very true - let me rephrase that... "new features are possible once we and the majority of players are happy with stability and issues."

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 15
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/15/2008 7:07:43 PM   
La Provence

Should it be possible to install 1.02K directly over the 1.02G version ?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 16
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/15/2008 7:11:25 PM   
bresh

quote:

ORIGINAL: La Provence

Should it be possible to install 1.02K directly over the 1.02G version ?

You should be able to without any problems.

Think that was written in another thread before.

If you want to make sure your version is clean, you can also uninstall it, and reinstall it plus the wanted patch.

Regards
Bresh

(in reply to La Provence)
Post #: 17
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/16/2008 6:37:31 PM   
Minedog

"We're focusing on fixes now - new features are possible once everyone's happy with stability and issues."

I have to say I find this kind of bizarre planning. Why fix bugs when it is the major features that are broken?

1. Combined Movement - without true combined movement, the game is not reflective of Napoleonic warfare and diplomacy. Loaned corps is not combined movement (not to mention the PP difference of winning battles) - allies don't always actually help each other, or help less than they might.

2. Battle views - the battle screen that fails to show the map. Ergo there is little or no knowledge of what other battles are taking place. Very, VERY important in the overall view, especially for reinforcement options.

3. Movement views - my experience, particularly in PBeM is that corps simply teleport around in a instant. So that guard corps which was at Dresden could now be anywhere withing 3 hexes. I want to watch the units move.

4. Maintenance costs - all the new fleets, why? More to the point, why do they cost the same to maintain each without any change to the national income. Particularly effects Turkey.

5. Kingdoms - the actual historical kingdoms, Westphalia, Italy, 2 Sicilies etc.

Then there are the straight out operational bugs, the forage calculations in some instances using the initial area. Cities under siege foraging twice (at least) once for the garrison, once for the corps.

So sure, I want a bug free game, but I can't see the point of fixing bugs when the major and operational features of the game are faulty, and in changing those, new bugs will be found and old bugs will become irrelevant. For me the aim is not a bug free game, the aim is to get the game to be properly Empires in Arms, and then to be bug free.

(in reply to bresh)
Post #: 18
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/16/2008 9:14:43 PM   
delatbabel

Where is the current full bug list now?

--
Del

(in reply to Minedog)
Post #: 19
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/17/2008 12:30:35 AM   
jnier

quote:

ORIGINAL: Minedog

"We're focusing on fixes now - new features are possible once everyone's happy with stability and issues."

I have to say I find this kind of bizarre planning. Why fix bugs when it is the major features that are broken?

1. Combined Movement - without true combined movement, the game is not reflective of Napoleonic warfare and diplomacy. Loaned corps is not combined movement (not to mention the PP difference of winning battles) - allies don't always actually help each other, or help less than they might.

2. Battle views - the battle screen that fails to show the map. Ergo there is little or no knowledge of what other battles are taking place. Very, VERY important in the overall view, especially for reinforcement options.

3. Movement views - my experience, particularly in PBeM is that corps simply teleport around in a instant. So that guard corps which was at Dresden could now be anywhere withing 3 hexes. I want to watch the units move.

4. Maintenance costs - all the new fleets, why? More to the point, why do they cost the same to maintain each without any change to the national income. Particularly effects Turkey.

5. Kingdoms - the actual historical kingdoms, Westphalia, Italy, 2 Sicilies etc.

Then there are the straight out operational bugs, the forage calculations in some instances using the initial area. Cities under siege foraging twice (at least) once for the garrison, once for the corps.

So sure, I want a bug free game, but I can't see the point of fixing bugs when the major and operational features of the game are faulty, and in changing those, new bugs will be found and old bugs will become irrelevant. For me the aim is not a bug free game, the aim is to get the game to be properly Empires in Arms, and then to be bug free.

All of these things seems to be pretty minor to me...fix the bugs first.

(in reply to Minedog)
Post #: 20
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/17/2008 12:42:32 AM   
NeverMan

quote:

While I totally agree with 1, 2 and 4, particulary 1 and 4, the overall problem was that somewhere along the line EiH man got his hands in this game and tried to ruin it, that's why there are all those wacky ass rules. Matrix would have been better served making EiA and then making an Editor. That said, we can't go into the past and what is done is done, so I say that for the sake of going forward, fix the bugs.

(in reply to Minedog)
Post #: 21
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/19/2008 5:18:53 PM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

ORIGINAL: NeverMan

While I totally agree with 1, 2 and 4, particulary 1 and 4, the overall problem was that somewhere along the line EiH man got his hands in this game and tried to ruin it, that's why there are all those wacky ass rules. Matrix would have been better served making EiA and then making an Editor. That said, we can't go into the past and what is done is done, so I say that for the sake of going forward, fix the bugs.

I agree about the EiH bit, albeit 'ruin' is a bit strong, tinker perhaps. For me they've been some of the more problematic areas of the game with difficulties in the implementation and downright bad documentation in important places.

I'd like to see some justification of the various EiH changes. e.g. What was the thinking behind some of the corps size changes ?

Regards
David

(in reply to NeverMan)
Post #: 22
RE: 1.02k BETA preview - 5/19/2008 6:15:16 PM   
DCWhitworth

quote:

I think you are failing to distinguish the difference, in computer terms, between bugs and features.

Bugs are things that are not working as they were intended. A feature is something new to be added to improve the game. Most of us are agreed that the priority should be fixing the errors in the game as it stands, not adding in new features.

Of course the issue is clouded by the fact that the computer game is based on a board game and so people are looking at the board game and saying this or that thing isn't in the computer game so it must be a bug, which it isn't. The computer game doesn't mirror the board game 100% and never will, by design.

Regards
David

(in reply to Minedog)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> 1.02k BETA preview Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI