Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tutorial

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets >> Tutorial Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tutorial - 5/2/2008 4:47:43 PM   
Peter Fisla

I have all the SSG operational wargames, though I have to say my all time #1 wargame from SSG is still the original TAO/TAO2. The rules are simple, the interface is clean, the game had tutorial that struck a cord with my brain and the AI is a lot of fun to play against :) Somehow every DB game release after that didn't give me the same kind of fun factor, the interface is a bit more busier the tutorials were not as easy to follow...now this I believe is just me. I'm tactical WW2 wargamer first, on operational level I need a good tutorial to get me started. I like all the SSG operational wargames though in the end...and of course want to give my full support to SSG as there are very few companies that make wargames anymore. I'm hoping that perhaps Khrakov will have tutorial that will be easy to follow and I'm hoping that that interface will less busy. I have to say I'm looking forward to the Khrakov game, I'm interested to see how the engine has evolved and how the "AO" feature will influence the gameplay.

Peter

PS: I'm trying to read everything I get my hands on regarding Khrakov...keep it coming

< Message edited by Peter Fisla -- 5/2/2008 4:51:02 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Tutorial - 5/2/2008 5:15:29 PM   
e_barkmann

Hi Peter

Just a note to say that SSG have an easy to follow, full tutorial included in the game manual for Kharkov.

I have been playing with the new engine for some time and it is feeling developed; 'right' - but not as complicated as the Battlefront interface. It's focused on combat and HQ units these days and the information presented to make good decisions is well thought out.

I'm looking forward to some challenging PBEM games once it's released, especially with the myriad of new AO options for either side.

[ps finally got VoTG a couple of weeks ago...played a couple of scens already - gotta love ASL!]

take care

cheers Chris

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 2
RE: Tutorial - 5/2/2008 5:40:03 PM   
Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

PS: I'm trying to read everything I get my hands on regarding Khrakov...keep it coming

The ultimate: Kharkov 1942 Glantz

But photocopy pages 62 and 63 - you'll need those maps close at hand to follow the geographical narrative Glantz sets forth throughout.

(in reply to Peter Fisla)
Post #: 3
RE: Tutorial - 5/2/2008 5:59:17 PM   
e_barkmann

Adam, the reviews indicate 'dry' story telling and a mainly Soviet view - what are your thoughts?

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 4
RE: Tutorial - 5/2/2008 8:38:59 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant

Hi Peter

Just a note to say that SSG have an easy to follow, full tutorial included in the game manual for Kharkov.

I have been playing with the new engine for some time and it is feeling developed; 'right' - but not as complicated as the Battlefront interface. It's focused on combat and HQ units these days and the information presented to make good decisions is well thought out.

I'm looking forward to some challenging PBEM games once it's released, especially with the myriad of new AO options for either side.

[ps finally got VoTG a couple of weeks ago...played a couple of scens already - gotta love ASL!]

take care

cheers Chris

Cool stuff Chris, thanks for all the interesting info...I'm looking forward to Kharkov.

Peter

PS: Regarding XASL, I have further refined the AI and I'm doing serious testing for few months before I move onto implementation of vehicles. I'm also playing VotG Solitaire ASL mission with a friend of mine using VASL.

< Message edited by Peter Fisla -- 5/2/2008 8:47:12 PM >

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 5
RE: Tutorial - 5/2/2008 8:46:47 PM   
Peter Fisla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

The ultimate: Kharkov 1942 Glantz

But photocopy pages 62 and 63 - you'll need those maps close at hand to follow the geographical narrative Glantz sets forth throughout.

Hmmm...seems out of print, I was thinking of the following:

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Kharkov-Winter-1942-1943/dp/0921991487/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209750335&sr=1-2

Post #: 6
RE: Tutorial - 5/2/2008 10:31:35 PM   
Ron

quote:

Adam, the reviews indicate 'dry' story telling and a mainly Soviet view - what are your thoughts?

Yes that's been my experience with Glantz also. For all his lamentations of material from the German POV, it is a little disappointing to see the same from the Russian POV lol. I wonder, why not a truly balanced POV?

Anyways what has been your experience with the AI in Kharkov?

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 7
RE: Tutorial - 5/3/2008 4:43:37 AM   
e_barkmann

quote:

Anyways what has been your experience with the AI in Kharkov?

I believe the routines are being tweaked at the moment, so it's too early to give an accurate appraisal, however with Gregor's blessing I'll make some comments later on.

cheers

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 8
RE: Tutorial - 5/3/2008 8:16:54 AM   
Adam Parker

quote:

Hi Chris. This was the book that HPS used as its main resource when designing PzC Kharkov 42 way back when, so that says a lot.

Btw there is probably a copy available at Hylands Bookstore in Melbourne, that's where I picked up mine - and Peter they do overseas mail order: Hylands Bookstore

I took this book on a trip to Brisbane once - and yeah it is very detailed! Glantz seems to delight in placing every unit throughout the narrative not only in terms of the closest town but every shetl, yeshiva, post office box, Seven Eleven and McDonalds if he can

I mean photocopying those maps I mentioned above is imperative imo - I cut my photocopies out and laminated them and looked like a right tool on the plane reading a paragraph, flipping around my maps and then going back to the story

But in terms of being complete, it surely is. One of Glantz's first "mainstream" publications. It's a goodie for a game like this. With quality gloss pages, its a small but heavy book too.

The Soviet insight is what makes it so valuable. Stavka did not hold back analysing its performance. Taking the action from this pov, very well highlights the performance of the Germans too. Thankfully, this is no Paul Carrel (Scorched Earth etc) story book. But I like those too

Cheers,
Adam.

< Message edited by Adam Parker -- 5/3/2008 8:29:14 AM >

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 9
RE: Tutorial - 5/3/2008 8:22:47 AM   
Adam Parker

Eg:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Adam Parker -- 5/3/2008 8:28:43 AM >

Post #: 10
RE: Tutorial - 5/3/2008 2:37:33 PM   
Erik Rutins

I've got that one - we used some of the info in it for Panzer Command: Kharkov as well. If you're interested in the battle, it's well worth having.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 11
RE: Tutorial - 5/4/2008 10:26:32 AM   
Howard7x

Any news on the scenario editor? Has it been refined since BF? Is it back to BIN standard or even better?

"In times of peace, a good general is preparing for war" - Gaius Julius Ceasar

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Kharkov: Disaster on the Donets >> Tutorial Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI