Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Small bombs against armored ships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Small bombs against armored ships Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Small bombs against armored ships - 5/2/2008 1:51:54 AM   
Dili

What AE will have to make not happen like in WITP with several dozens or even an hundred 100-250kg bombs hits being defeated by deck armor and making almost no damage to a ship? While it is understanble that a couple of hits might not make relevant damage, dozens is a different ballpark even if not penetrates the armor it can be a mission kill with several fires, control towers, lights, and AA damaged or destroyed, shockwaves that distort parts of non armored deck etc.
Post #: 1
RE: Small bombs against armored ships - 5/2/2008 2:39:52 AM   
Nomad

I have had a BB take about 20 250KG bombs and it casued enough fire and equipment damage to require 3 months in dry dock. but, I do think there should be a small chance of a penetration - not a complete go/no-go situation.

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 2
RE: Small bombs against armored ships - 5/2/2008 3:32:49 AM   
Dili

Oh that is good news, i remember a Japanese CV that took lots of bombs(more than 20) and could operate with no problems. Same thing also happened with a CA.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 3
RE: Small bombs against armored ships - 5/2/2008 1:36:20 PM   
John Lansford

I have plastered some of the big IJN cruisers with as many as 20 500 lb bombs and, other than some AA and secondary gun damage, they were relatively unaffected.  Having 500 lb bombs bounce off of Shokaku's flight deck is also depressing.

OTOH, I had a sub nearly sunk by a transport's 13.5mm machine guns.  The sub surfaced and even though it hit the ship with both torpedoes and 4" shellfire, the crew returned fire with the 13.5mm, puncturing the hull, knocking out the forward torpedo tubes, starting a fire on the bridge, and destroying the 40mm AA gun.  She suffered about 30% SYS damage and 25% flooding from a 13.5mm machine gun!!

(in reply to Dili)
Post #: 4
RE: Small bombs against armored ships - 5/2/2008 2:18:15 PM   
soeren01

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford

I have plastered some of the big IJN cruisers with as many as 20 500 lb bombs and, other than some AA and secondary gun damage, they were relatively unaffected. Having 500 lb bombs bounce off of Shokaku's flight deck is also depressing.

OTOH, I had a sub nearly sunk by a transport's 13.5mm machine guns. The sub surfaced and even though it hit the ship with both torpedoes and 4" shellfire, the crew returned fire with the 13.5mm, puncturing the hull, knocking out the forward torpedo tubes, starting a fire on the bridge, and destroying the 40mm AA gun. She suffered about 30% SYS damage and 25% flooding from a 13.5mm machine gun!!

They probably hit the main gun ammo stored on deck

soeren01, formerly known as Soeren
CoG FoF
PacWar WIR BoB BTR UV WITP WITE WITW

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 5
RE: Small bombs against armored ships - 5/9/2008 12:55:17 AM   
pad152

Armored decks??? How come every Battleship I've seen has wood decks!

(in reply to soeren01)
Post #: 6
RE: Small bombs against armored ships - 5/9/2008 7:22:39 AM   
witpqs

The wood - often teak - is on top of the armor.

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 7
RE: Small bombs against armored ships - 5/10/2008 4:51:36 AM   
Gem35

It's great that the AE expansion will allow those little bombs to penetrate and not bounce off Japanese Carriers and BBs, just like way back when during the War.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Small bombs against armored ships Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI