Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Kharkov >> Maps, Models and Mods >> RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/21/2008 2:48:20 AM   
z1812

Hi Mraah,

Did you start this without any other experience in 3d modeling? Did you find the Milkshake software intuitive? I am curious as when time allows ( if ever ) I might like to give it a bash.

regards John

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 31
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/21/2008 5:15:49 AM   
Mraah

quote:

ORIGINAL: z1812

Hi Mraah,

Did you start this without any other experience in 3d modeling? Did you find the Milkshake software intuitive? I am curious as when time allows ( if ever ) I might like to give it a bash.

regards John

John,

No experience at all with making 3D stuff ... I'm spending most of my time learning as I'm going ... hence the many days getting to this point. With the online tutorials and mostly Stridor's tutorials I've learned alot with modeling. I've had some experience with texture's and alpha's from my days with SHIV over in the subsim forum making radar display stuff.

I found MS3D to be easier than Blender ... the learning curve is smaller. You'd have to compare both to find which one fit's your taste.

Once the modeling bug bites with it's disease it's very hard to take the cure!!

Rob

(in reply to z1812)
Post #: 32
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/21/2008 5:22:02 AM   
Mraah

Update ... some more texture and alpha experiments ... Nothings final, just increasing my skill.

The tread is a combo texture from TOW and PcK ... The wheels and drive gear from Pck (M3A1).

I colorized the tread to a brownish color to give it some wear and tear, although not seen very well.

I added the ring around the turret so I've got to get back to adding more bling and worry about textures later, at least I think I got most of my texture experiments out of the way.

Thanks for looking (again) ... will it ever be done (sigh).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 33
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/21/2008 5:58:47 AM   
Stridor

Nice work Rob,

Looks like it is coming along nicely. I should have the animation tut up before you need it, I think I have sorted out all the problems now.

You may want to fix up your smoothing groups on the hull.

Regards

S.

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 34
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/21/2008 10:12:30 AM   
Mraah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stridor
Nice work Rob,
Looks like it is coming along nicely. I should have the animation tut up before you need it, I think I have sorted out all the problems now.
You may want to fix up your smoothing groups on the hull.

Thanks Stridor ... Looking forward to your tut!!

Another SS before I call it a night ... Real Tanker's wear plaid !! ... showing off new bling-bling ... lift hooks a bit used ... new side tread to fix teeth alignment.

Thanks for looking!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mraah -- 5/21/2008 10:15:35 AM >

(in reply to Stridor)
Post #: 35
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/22/2008 9:35:51 AM   
Mraah

Some more work ... new turret and gun 76(W) ... and more bling.

Rolls in at just under 6000 poly.

At least it looks like a fighting machine ... plaid removed.

Thanks for looking!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mraah -- 5/22/2008 9:36:25 AM >

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 36
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/22/2008 9:48:21 AM   
Mraah

Another vantage point ... side and front ...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 37
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/22/2008 10:44:32 AM   
rickier65

Rob - looks like it's coming along nicely.

Rick

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 38
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/23/2008 9:44:06 AM   
EagleMountainDK

Looking great Rob!

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 39
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/23/2008 11:19:41 AM   
GShock

Jesus H Christ...

(in reply to EagleMountainDK)
Post #: 40
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/23/2008 11:54:08 AM   
Mraah

Ok ... I was messing around with creating a new texture before calling it a night ...

I retextured only the parts from post #36 and I saved it as a Direct X file.

Now ... since I hadn't grouped it properly it pretty much grouped the other parts by itself when exported.

The end result is shown below ... looks pretty cool for an experiment gone crazy!! (except for the blank wheels and sprockets!).

Thanks for looking.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mraah -- 5/23/2008 12:00:58 PM >

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 41
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/23/2008 2:49:26 PM   
Mraah

A final shot before I go ... getting closer.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 42
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/23/2008 7:38:37 PM   
rickier65

Hey - nice going. Of course - now that Stridors got his animation tutorial up - you'll have to dig into that! You're NEVER going to get to acctually play!

Rick

< Message edited by Rick -- 5/23/2008 7:40:16 PM >

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 43
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/24/2008 2:35:51 AM   
RyanCrierie

Looks pretty damn cool. You've got the hang of transparent textured roadwheels; I don't I just cheated on my M6 by making them all full cylinders.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 44
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/24/2008 6:15:06 AM   
z1812

Hi Mraah,

It looks very, very good. Quite Impressive!!

Regards John

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 45
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/24/2008 6:31:29 AM   
Mraah

quote:

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie

Looks pretty damn cool. You've got the hang of transparent textured roadwheels; I don't I just cheated on my M6 by making them all full cylinders.

I cheated too ... for now. I borrowed the DDS from the M3A1 ... body1024.dds. It's a really good example of how it works using a flat plane with it textured on top. I had the cylinders like you did but it gobbled up 2400 polygons for 16 wheels (12 road wheels, 2 idler wheels, 2 sprockets). The cylinders are killing me for polygons so after this is complete I need to go back and chop off the poly hogs and replace with smoke and mirrors.

It's almost done ... just some tweaking of minor stuff but the bulk of the model is done., then it's on to the final material texture dds ... another hoop to jump through.

Rob

(in reply to RyanCrierie)
Post #: 46
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/24/2008 7:23:05 AM   
Stridor

Rob, once you get used to how it all works you will find you can start pumping out the vehicles pretty quickly. Like a week of afternoons will get you a new textured and animated vehicle. You are climbing the steep part of the learning curve right now but it will soon flatten out

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 47
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/27/2008 5:26:50 PM   
Mraah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stridor
Rob, once you get used to how it all works you will find you can start pumping out the vehicles pretty quickly. Like a week of afternoons will get you a new textured and animated vehicle. You are climbing the steep part of the learning curve right now but it will soon flatten out

I hope so ... I feel like I chose the longest ladder to climb!!

I've been playing with textures ... I hate it when MS3D shows the DDS's as semi transparent ... in the SS below I'm designing new drive sprocket and wheel images. I created a new treads dds (shown as a bmp for display) which adds the edge teeth and new inside tread texture (see side bar image). The colors need tweaking as always ... rear idler wheel not yet changed.

Thanks for looking!

EDIT NOTE - And yeah ... I've got too many bolts in the drive sprocket, they need to be half as many and twice the size! argh.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mraah -- 5/27/2008 5:38:50 PM >

(in reply to Stridor)
Post #: 48
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/28/2008 8:10:28 AM   
Mraah

Ok ... after chopping it up, I have dropped the polygon count to 2053 ... still needs adjusting but getting there.

Thanks for looking!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 49
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/31/2008 8:51:18 AM   
Mraah

Yet another update ... playing with the LOD textures ... mostly experiments ...

The SS below is the blueprint, turned into a normal map, inverted, colorized, added noise, filtered, blah blah blah, I can't remember some of the effects.

Thanks for looking!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 50
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 5/31/2008 1:58:57 PM   
Erik Rutins

Looking good!

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 51
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 6/2/2008 12:45:28 AM   
Mraah

Some more work done today ... minor stuff before I need sleep for my midshift. I hope over the next few days I can spend 100% of my time to finish this up.

I spent alot of time working on my own wheels and sprockets and could never get them to look good ... there are several versions of the them and to not waste anymore time I decided to borrow the PcK texture of the M3A1 and colorize it.

Some work done on the alpha for the treads ...now they look like individual treads and worn down a bit more ... the sprocket is resized to "fit" into the links.

Lots more tweaking and adjusting ... bogie texture just a slap-on, road wheels need resizing and axle needed, mantle/trunion needs replacing ... not to mention the rear end needs to be finished ... blah blah blah. Good thing I don't design this stuff for real, the war would be over by the time I finished!

Thanks again for looking.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Mraah -- 6/2/2008 12:46:43 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 52
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 6/4/2008 2:24:24 PM   
Mraah

Almost done ... at least I have all the materials together... Muzzle break built with smoke and mirrors (like the PzIvF2)

Things to do ...

1. redo inner wheels to fit
2. rebuild the bogie to fit texture and build a tread guide on top of bogie.
3. cleanup upper hull
4. add a rear-end
5. add a new hull ball gun and barrel
6. realign everything

Most of the hard work is done ... so I think. Considering how long it takes, I'm going to release an LOD model (shown below) with 512x512. Current texture is 1024x1024 so I'll have to see how bad the 512 looks!

Thanks for looking !

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 53
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 6/4/2008 4:48:32 PM   
GShock

You and any other who's working on the 3d models, ever thought to make a tank look real with dust, bumps, rust, mud, grease, smoke marks etc?

I expect from such an astonishing work (that all of you make look so simple!!!!) care for these details.

Congrats!

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 54
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 6/6/2008 12:24:19 PM   
Mraah

Moving right along ... playing with hatch model and graphic ... getting better as I go ... can't say when it'll be done.

Any wear look to texture is purely by accident.

Calling it a night (morning) ... what time is it?

Thanks for looking!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 55
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 6/9/2008 3:50:16 AM   
Mraah

Unfortunately I haven't had the time I wanted to get this done last week ...

I am this > < close to finishing it ...

Only thing left is some small alignment tweaks, a few texture faces to apply ... and finally the animation. Depending on how many hoops that block me when I export the darn thing will determine when I'll be finished because if there are no more hoops ... it's done.

Below are two textures I'm going to release ... plain old olive drab / worn down metalic look ... 1st Guards Mechanized Corps. I may upload more variants on the textures depending if anyone cares to have something else and doesn't want to bother with painting, which in itself can be a real PITA and might be thoroughly confusing when you look at the material dds. Hopefully the model will be useful as a temporary lend-lease while we wait for the Matrix team to fabricate a better one.

To my amazement, what you're looking at is only 1,899 polygons ... I had to do a double take on that myself several times!

Thanks for looking and your comments ... always appreciated. Rob.
(P.S.) next update shots will be from within PcK.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 56
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 6/9/2008 4:27:55 AM   
von Staudt

Beautiful work! I can't wait to play with it!

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 57
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 6/9/2008 5:55:44 AM   
rickier65

Very nice Rob - I haven't even thought about trying to mess with this stuff - - looks way over my head - God job!

Rick

(Still waiting to see how your multi-building worked out!)

(in reply to Mraah)
Post #: 58
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 6/9/2008 5:56:37 AM   
Bil H

Looking good.. personally I would add some polys to the turret, cupola and barrel.. the wheels and hull look so good it's almost a shame to skimp on these areas.

Still, it will be a welcome addition to the game.

Bil

(in reply to von Staudt)
Post #: 59
RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model - 6/10/2008 10:46:07 PM   
Mraah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bil H
Looking good.. personally I would add some polys to the turret, cupola and barrel.. the wheels and hull look so good it's almost a shame to skimp on these areas.
Still, it will be a welcome addition to the game.
Bil

Bil,

I'd love to add more polys to the turret area but my hi-poly turret will eventually replace the entire turret. At the moment, I'm trying to get the LOD model done considering most players won't be playing that close to the model (previous screen shot). In the SS below it shows my high-poly turret (1500+ polys). The smaller m4 models below are the low-poly turret set to a scale that most players will probably see the model when playing.

I'm still shaving off polys I don't need (hidden stuff) and also adding more smoke and mirrors. If I can, I'll turn on the hi-poly cupola and loaders hatch and see if I can include them into the LOD model.

Most of my time now is being spent juggling the polys, textures, and alignments to get it acceptable for basic viewing. My textures are still very very rough and not trimmed so good ... but again, it's very time consuming to make it all perfect and I'm not much of an artist so it's all smoke and mirrors. I found that the LOD model is harder to build because of the trade-off between it looking good and keeping it below 2000 polys. It's much easier to build a 6000+ model with the polys doing all the detail.

Thanks for your comments! I'm not very good at this and everyone's comments and ideas are helping get through this.

Rob

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bil H)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> Panzer Command: Kharkov >> Maps, Models and Mods >> RE: [WIP] M4A2 Sherman - Model Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI