Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anyone else in this boat?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Anyone else in this boat? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 10:13:31 AM   
JudgeDredd

I think I have to call it a day on game buying. Maybe take the rest of the year off.

I have over 30 games on my computer and I am jack of all, master of none. I haven't read the manual for the vast majority of them (read all of them, possibly).

I think I need to say "K, time to reign it in and enjoy what I have, instead of looking for that something extra all the time"

I wondered last night why I do it. I was sitting on my PC wondering what to play. There are plenty there, and yet I couldn't decide. Each one I went to click on, I thought "Nah...takes too long to get back into"...and therein lies the problem. I have a shed load of fantastic games...but most of them take so long to "get back into". Eventually, I played World in Conflict demo and then PCK.

I do suffer from a short attention span (even in my development world!!), so that's partly to blame. But still, I could probably help myself get through some games by not buying any for the rest of the year.

Maybe I'm more attached to buying the new game than playing the new game? I don't know. I do know I love the smell of a new manual...ok, that bit is a bit weird!!

Anyway...I am making this solemn promise not to buy any more games this year...so you peeps can keep an eye out, and if I start to flounder, just give me a nudge.

Billy

I just hope Matrix don't have any big guns for this year

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 4/23/2008 10:36:54 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 10:22:53 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

I feel like a drug dealer pushing dope, but you do know Battles from the Bulge is coming out this year, don't you ?

Seriously : what you experience now is called the "wargame blues" - and most of us have experienced it at one point or another. The best thing you can do is go cold turkey and don't touch your computer for 2-3 weeks - then the urge will come back - or not, in which case you'll be cured from this terrible addiction

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 10:33:36 AM   
Tomus

I feel and act exactly the same way. I have loads of games that I haven't properly explored yet I always feel a compulsion to buy them. When I get a chance to play I normally end up firing up COD4 or Red Orchestra games that take seconds to get into and start playing.

That said Kharkov has kept glued recently as does COTA.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 10:51:13 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

I feel like a drug dealer pushing dope, but you do know Battles from the Bulge is coming out this year, don't you ?

Seriously : what you experience now is called the "wargame blues" - and most of us have experienced it at one point or another. The best thing you can do is go cold turkey and don't touch your computer for 2-3 weeks - then the urge will come back - or not, in which case you'll be cured from this terrible addiction

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Well, going on the patch 3 for COTA scenario, I'll be very surprised if BftB is out this year. I know Daves' situation has changed, but still, I will be surprised.

Cold Turkey wouldn't be a bad idea...would give you people a break from my useless, pointless posts I suppose, but it could end in divorce as my wife and I would have to chat and I'm sure she's astute enough to realise what a berk I am!!

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 4
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 11:45:01 AM   
Kuokkanen

Curiously enough, most of games I have unfinished, or even unplayed, are wargames. Only FPS games I haven't played through, are Firewarrior and Breed (I got tired repeating last mission). But wargames...
CM2 - don't play much, cuz camera controls suck
CM3 - never even installed darn thing
Homeworld - played some, and difficulty get on me
Homeworld 2 - never installed
Lords of the Realms III - gave it a try, but game just sucks
Battle Isle 3 - too large, complex and difficult missions to keep going
Shogun Total War - gave it a try, but can't get past tutorials (archers against swordsmen is the stopper)
Medieval Total War - I'll play this after I have made some progress with Shogun first
Perimeter - difficulty in later scenarios, and other games out there
Imperium Galactica - real time, too many irons in fire, player nearly always handicapped, and funny AI (from huge armada of motherships, they come one at a time against player's pop-guns)
Do I need go on?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 12:37:21 PM   
Phatguy

I'll help cure you.... Send me your games and I will give you the secret to gaming happiness..mine!

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 1:06:43 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

Well, going on the patch 3 for COTA scenario, I'll be very surprised if BftB is out this year.

Wanna bet ?

[Concurrent development is the secret]

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 7
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 1:10:55 PM   
Tomus

I completed Shogun and RTW but tbh they were both grinds at the end and I did it just for completions sake. MTW (original) and MTWII I never completed a single campaign ever. For the sheer amount of time I spent playing them it feels like such a waste of money.

As others say FPS games and "adventure" ones are about the only games I can ever truly say I complete.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 2:34:22 PM   
Grell

Hi JD,

I have a similar problem, I read the manual but when it comes to playing it I play it for 3 or 4 hours and then uninstall except for COTA and World AT War:AWD. My wife is putting the heat on me big time. She keeps the pressure on big time.

It's not fun.

Regards,

Greg

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 9
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 2:34:38 PM   
HansBolter

Judge you lightweight!

My computer room is literally overflowing with game boxes. Somwhere on the order of 200-300 at least.

Not to mention the 150+ board games I collected in the 70s & 80s.

Granted that represents the last 18 years of accumulated purchases and I don't buy 2 new games a week like I was doing in the late 90s.......

........but I'm still a game whore nontheless!

p.s. I liked your old avatar a lot better

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 4/23/2008 2:36:06 PM >

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 10
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 2:36:31 PM   
fvianello

JudgeDredd,
I have similar problems (buy 10, play 5, master 1) since the SPI boardgame times....how many times did I place all the counters for a new The Next War game, just to look at them for a a couple of days and then put everything back in the box ?

And it was satisfying too, in a strange way

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 11
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 2:43:09 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: HanBarca

JudgeDredd,
I have similar problems (buy 10, play 5, master 1) since the SPI boardgame times....how many times did I place all the counters for a new The Next War game, just to look at them for a a couple of days and then put everything back in the box ?

And it was satisfying too, in a strange way

I'll second that motion!

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 12
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 2:43:33 PM   
Tomus

I remeber when I first bought a Playstation back in the mid 1990's. The games were around £50 a go, and as I had only just graduated college I had no money and a bit more of a social life than I have now! So game spending case was seriously limited. That meant I researched every game I bought and played it through fully at least once or twice.

Nowadays with games costing much less than that I suppose they are too easy to buy and as result they lose an element of their worth. I played CIVII to absolute bits on the PS1, I barely touched CIV IV 12 years later. For me games aren't such a big investment and so I do have many lying around uncompleted.

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 13
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 3:12:23 PM   
Yogi the Great

I think most of us are in the same boat.

It is impossible to play all the games we have, especailly since many take hours and even days of play to finish.  So I often just play until the end is obvious, or even more likely until I have lost interest and want a change.

I always tell myself, just play something you have and don't spend the money.  But in the end, if a new game is of interest to me, I end up buying it anyway and after playing for awhile it goes into the, "one of these days I will play it again to the end pile" that of course will have to wait until after I play the next new game I just bought.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to Tomus)
Post #: 14
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 3:45:26 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

I think most of us are in the same boat.

It is impossible to play all the games we have, especailly since many take hours and even days of play to finish. So I often just play until the end is obvious, or even more likely until I have lost interest and want a change.

I always tell myself, just play something you have and don't spend the money. But in the end, if a new game is of interest to me, I end up buying it anyway and after playing for awhile it goes into the, "one of these days I will play it again to the end pile" that of course will have to wait until after I play the next new game I just bought.

aaaahahahaha

Yes...that's it...the play it to the end pile.

If I have simply lost interest in the games, then I sell/give away and move on. But the problem I have is the games I currently have on my PC ARE games I am very interested in.

However, there are two issues I think

• Dedicating time to a specific game until it's complete
  • Some games do not have an end

I have Microsoft FSX (flight sim)...there is no end! Same with Team Fortress 2!

I have even, at one point, uninstalled games in the past. I was going to leave a couple of games on...1 strategy, 1 sim and 1 FPS. The FPS was for the days when I didn't want anything heavy. When it actually came down to it, I kept one of each genre on...and eventually the others crept on too!

Anyway...I am trying to make myself this solemn promise that I will not buy another game this year...

*NOTE TO ARJUNA*
DO NOT release Battles for the Bulge pre 2009!!

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 15
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 4:06:48 PM   
sabre1

Been there, doing that...

I think my biggest problem is the initial learning curve to master a game to the level of competence.  It takes so dang long to reach enjoyment level from the frustration level.  By the time you reach a satisfaction level with a gaming system, you have become bored for the moment, put the game down saying you will come back to it later, only to forget how to play the game at a competent level and the cycle starts all over again, and you ask yourself why bother, just move on to another game hoping for some type of satisfaction.  I just love sentence runons.

On another level, for me, I miss the interaction of someone who enjoys games.  It is wonderful to come here and read about our wonderful hobby or addiction  and share it with one another, but...there is no substitute, at least in my mind for actual face to face gaming.  It's like playing chess on the computer, I hate doing that, but I love chess when someone will sit down and play, and I could care less if I win or lose.  It's the human touch.

You guys are great here, and I look forward to reading your posts and hearing what you have to say about our hobby, but it still lacks that face to face interaction.  I really do feel if I had a core bunch of people who I could talk to face to face it would put a whole new level of interest into my computer wargaming.

It is very difficult for all of us to find that group that we can relate to that fits our "unique" wargaming personalities, and we really are percentage wise far and few between.  We don't relate well to most computer gamers out there.  Our passion for this niche gaming stigmatizes us to virtual obscurity excepting sites like Matrix.  So we continue to struggle looking for others like ourselves to share our interests and never being satisfied with the results.

That will be $200.00 for my evaluation, checks are acceptable...

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 16
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 4:09:56 PM   
Arjuna

JudgeDredd,

No can do matey...it's coming out soon.

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 17
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 4:11:09 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

*NOTE TO ARJUNA*
DO NOT release Battles for the Bulge pre 2009!!

That's easily accomplished.

Just wire him 20K to postpone the release. He, if you just sell all the games you don't play anymore, it should be easy to raise 20K, right ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 18
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 4:21:30 PM   
Terminus

I have a similar problem, but with DVD's instead of games. Got a slew of DVD's on my shelf that I haven't watched yet.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 19
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 4:36:07 PM   
killroyishere

New poster, but, not new to forums. One of the real problems some find themselves so addicted to posting and chatting and everything else they do on forums they give up their playtime for discussion/arguing time on forums. I notice from just lurking here for awhile the same names every single day nearly and sometimes several times a day at different intervals. Break away from forums and you'll find you have more time for playing your games. Some of you should just take a look at your post counts from the day you signed up on here and of course the other forums you probably also frequent. It can become as much of an addiction for that attention as anything else in life.
Having too many games and just buying them to be buying them for the sake of buying something new is another problem many gamers run into. Remember your early years when you didn't have so many games. You probably played those games and finished them moreso than you do today. When one has too many of something it makes the decision of which one to give attention to that much harder. You guys with 100's of games I just feel sorry for, most of you will suffer from this feeling of can't decide which one to play so I just won't play any and go chat on the forums instead. Then the other issue is as someone said getting into them again and a big factor can be learning the rules all over again. You have so many rules running around in your head it's hard to remember which goes with which game until you've played it awhile again and since you have so many games it's hard to stay focused on the one you did select for very long.
There's no sure fire cure for this syndrome though, once you have the addiction of buying and buying and buying just because it is new it's hard to break. Once you have more games than you really should have then you are pretty much locked into the addiction and will continue to suffer gamers remorse. Same with forum posting. Once you get bitten by that attention that forums give (provided you are a frequent poster) it's hard to break away from that as well. You'll make up silly topics for the sake of something to type just to read your own text and hope for the attention replies day in and day out. You'll post one liners saying nothing more than hi and bye or look at me here I am someone talk to me.
Just something I've observed and been a part of myself in history. Think about it.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 20
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 4:54:06 PM   
06 Maestro

I have 12 games, but (normally) only play 2 (CotA and HOI2DD Arm w/ C.O.R.E.). THe others get a quick look now and then. There are several more I would like to have, but if I don't spend more than a couple of hours with them, where is the justification? No matter, I will buy a few more-especially if it is a new thing I've never tried, like PC kharkov.
I like to be very comfortable about how a game plays so I can just think about what I want to do, rather than how to make the game do what I want to do. This takes me a little bit of time. It comes down to spending time learning a new system, or spending time playing a game I allready know and enjoy. I generally stick with the known winners and back off from buying something new at the last second.

I will continue to add to the collection-(nothing wrong with a collection) at about 3 games a year.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 5:51:59 PM   
PunkReaper

After Killroywashere's rather damning post I feel reluctant to post again. I didn't realise that I was posting to a load of "Billy no Mates". However there is some truth in what he says. Most of us here seem to suffer from having more excitement purchasing than playing games. The longer I have played games the more I get the feeling that most games are a re-hash of some older idea. I think what drives the purchasing is the hope that I will come across something new and exciting, which usually lasts until I have played the tutorial. Like JD I have at one time or another decided to just play the games I've got but the only way to do that is to avoid the forums and surfing the internet. It only takea a moment to see a post about a new interesting game and off you go again. Saw this recently in JD's posts on World in Conflict. So I suppose this is goodbye till jan 2009......see you all........I've almost gone

gone

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 22
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 5:54:19 PM   
Joram

LOL JD, I'm almost the exact same as you except I have far more than 30. I have probably over 10 games just from Matrix itself (just had to throw that in lol). My wallet is much bigger than my time these days. There's at least two games sitting on my shelf still in the shrink-wrap. No loss, they are just RTS anyway.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 23
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 8:39:57 PM   
andym

I have s ort of similar thing,you see a game and research it,looking at many sites and forums,ask questions and come to the conclusion that its the best game you have ever seen.You buy it,install it and then.............................................dissapointment.I have 2 games that i just cant take to despite them appearing to be brilliant.It must be me.

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 24
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 10:05:04 PM   
JudgeDredd

Is that better Hans? 

(in reply to andym)
Post #: 25
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/23/2008 11:25:49 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I have a similar problem, but with DVD's instead of games. Got a slew of DVD's on my shelf that I haven't watched yet.

You might be operating on the same principal as I do with books and dvd's. I use to operate on the "broken leg principal". That is , have enough books and movies to get me through , say six months , without leaving the home while waiting for the broken leg to heal. Unfortuately this has mutated into what my wife calls "Steve's five-year plan".

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 26
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/24/2008 12:59:08 AM   
Hertston

quote:

Anyway...I am making this solemn promise not to buy any more games this year...so you peeps can keep an eye out, and if I start to flounder, just give me a nudge.

Only make promises you can keep, mate! I keep thinking much the same thing, but it never actually affects my behaviour..

quote:

"Nah...takes too long to get back into"...and therein lies the problem. I have a shed load of fantastic games...but most of them take so long to "get back into"

I do have a tip on that, though... keep no more than four or five installed at one time. Once you actually get bored of one, replace it with another. Sorted. The only other possibility is that you never get bored of any of them in which case you no longer have a buying problem!

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 27
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/24/2008 2:25:46 AM   
Frido1207

Maybe i´m not understanding your initial question JD . But in approximately 20 years of pc gaming i "finished" only a handful of games, & played just a single one for over a span of 2 years (Trackmania). Its (almost) everytime the same: a new game thats interests me, i must have. 
Its stupid, but its its good to know, that those games i own are only an armlength away if i want to play them. But there are several, which i will never play seriously, because lack of time, change of interests or simply because i got bored of them.
As long as i support with my childish behavior companies like Matrix i don´t mind that much.
You´re not alone i guess.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 28
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/24/2008 2:36:55 AM   
cdbeck

I am exactly the same way JD, and the wife is going to kill me. Now I have a sort of "self-imposed" rule of "I have to sell a game to buy a game." It actually works pretty well, gets me to clean off the stuff I am not playing anymore and to really focus on the games I want. I have a Wii as well, and those games are old after one play through and resell for rather high amounts. It doesn't always work, but it does help.

Still, I have so many games and I am pretty sure I am more addicted to the buying than the playing. I think it is my innate curiosity that gets me. I want to experience every game I can, check all of the mechanics, see the cutscenes and the artwork. Unfortunately I am also very impatient, so I usually lose interest before I fully see everything.

Right now I am looking at Depths of Peril and President Forever 2008. It doesn't matter than I have Rollercoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum and EU:Rome to play. Luckily, I can agonize long enough to hold off usually - I really want to save my money for Supreme Ruler 2020.

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Frido1207)
Post #: 29
RE: Anyone else in this boat? - 4/24/2008 9:41:48 AM   
Zap

Funny the game that I downloaded for free SPWAW I've played for hours and hours and hours but some that I bought I looked at one time and they sit on my computer. What do you call my dilema?

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Anyone else in this boat? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI