"Release dates"

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

m10bob

"Release dates"

Post by m10bob »

When Matrixgames was still in its' infancy, it erred in giving release dates well in advance, but they also provided an open forum for the players, and every time a good idea was mentioned, Matrixgames tried to work it into the product which was going to be released. Unfortunately, every time they did this the release date was being shoved back.
The players themselves were causing this, (even though the end product was still going to be an improvement over the original item.)
We old timers saw this on the SPWAW forums several times, and we (players) finally admitted to our being involved in the continual delay in the release of Campaign CD's, patches, etc.
While all of us clamour for AE, (and a few even drool at the thought), we will do well to remember that with every good idea we propose, we might in turn be delaying that which we desire, (game-wise)..[;)]

Attachments
USS_Saratoga.jpg
USS_Saratoga.jpg (143.84 KiB) Viewed 153 times

langley

RE: "Release dates"

Post by langley »

Good Point! I suspect this will not stop people asking for the release date of AE. Like a number of us I am one of the people who drools over this site most nights in hope of finding more information on AE.
(1) At which point will AE not be open to new ideas?
(2) Have we got to this stage yet?
(3) Will new ideas be introduced into patches for AE.

Many thanks for your Time.

MJT
"My God, I hope you don't blame me for this. I had no idea where you were."
Air Vice-marshal Pulford upon the loss of "Force Z"
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

I don't know that there will ever be a point at which the AE team are not open to ideas.

As to the initial release, we're pretty much locked down already, if we find an issue in testing, we fix it, even if this means design issue. But we're already developing the list for the first couple of patches.
AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Care to share any of them? [:D]
Created by the amazing Dixie
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Care to share any of them? [:D]

That might be a first - releasing the bug list BEFORE the game!
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Well Joe....if we were allowed to pre-order, it would 1.Give Matrixgames a general idea of the interest, 2. Provide a financial adjustment to the corporate coffers for this (and perhaps future endeavours), and 3. Give the players a better idea of how long we will be waiting.
(On this last, I was one of those kids who stayed awake most of Christmas Eve waiting for the crunching of snow on the rooftop, and was up like a shot at 0400 for the toys!)[:D]

Terminus

Post by Terminus »

You forgot 4) Will lead to unsurpassed whining if we don't deliver when the pre-ordering people think we should...[:D]
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

You forgot 4) Will lead to unsurpassed whining if we don't deliver when the pre-ordering people think we should...[:D]

(Are we there yet?)

Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Don't make me turn this car around, young man![;)]
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Has Matrix ever considered allowing people to pay to play the beta? Stardock does that with its "Galactic Civilizations" games. You "preorder" (at pretty much full price), which gives you a right to download and play the beta, and you're encouraged (though not required) to file bug reports. In this way, Stardock gets a massive influx of testers plus early revenue, and GalCiv fanatics get to play the game early -- and understand that they're playing a beta, not a final release, so they complain less about bugs. I paid for the beta of the most recent expansion to GalCiv2. When the game is released, the paying testers upgrade to the release version for no charge.

The downside of this business model is that the testers don't sign an NDA, but so much of AE seems public anyway, I don't know whether this is a big concern.

It may be too late in the process for this game, but I'd encourage Matrix to think about it for other games. You get money earlier; we get the games earlier.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

So is everything still on for an Origins release?
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Err, fairly certain that nobody's ever mentioned or promised an Origins release. Matrix NEVER releases release dates in advance, you KNOW this.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

Has Matrix ever considered allowing people to pay to play the beta? Stardock does that with its "Galactic Civilizations" games. You "preorder" (at pretty much full price), which gives you a right to download and play the beta, and you're encouraged (though not required) to file bug reports. In this way, Stardock gets a massive influx of testers plus early revenue, and GalCiv fanatics get to play the game early -- and understand that they're playing a beta, not a final release, so they complain less about bugs. I paid for the beta of the most recent expansion to GalCiv2. When the game is released, the paying testers upgrade to the release version for no charge.

The downside of this business model is that the testers don't sign an NDA, but so much of AE seems public anyway, I don't know whether this is a big concern.

It may be too late in the process for this game, but I'd encourage Matrix to think about it for other games. You get money earlier; we get the games earlier.

That sort of works against the whole concept of beta testing. Bad idea.
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

No,no,no,no,no...............some Grand-poooh-Ba,did make mention of Origins. I then stuck it away in my things to remember and reasons to go to Origins file. Its under 2 months away,so we'll just let time tell then.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Well, WitP was released at Origins back in '04, wasn't it? AE won't come out until we're done with it, and nobody has said anything about it coming out at Origins '08.
jwilkerson

Post by jwilkerson »

Speculating about release dates is not something we on the AE team can do. Release dates are determined by Matrix.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Speculating about release dates is not something we on the AE team can do. Release dates are determined by Matrix.

Not a problem,I'm not speculating,just clarifying what was brought up Dec/Jan as I recall it. Seems Terminus don't think it means what I think it means so I'll wait until Origins and see if I'm pleasantly surprised.[;)]
treespider

Post by treespider »

We can always say we are one day closer to release...tomorrow we will be one day closer to release.
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
vettim89

Post by vettim89 »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Err, fairly certain that nobody's ever mentioned or promised an Origins release. Matrix NEVER releases release dates in advance, you KNOW this.

I for one prefer it this way. Having gone through some delays in releases for other games (some of them quite long I might add), I would rather have the hard release date when that time is determined. The problem with projected release dates is that they are just that - Projected
"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

ORIGINAL: treespider

We can always say we are one day closer to release...tomorrow we will be one day closer to release.

and shorter of breath...

I'm pretty sure that no one officially quoted an Origins release, but the speculation among all the old timers here ran in that direction. That's probably what you recall, tophat.
fair winds,
Brad

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”